Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

aarontxwl posted:

Coming from a Tier 2 school (Villanova :smithicide:), 3.3 GPA, published and managing Environmental Law Journal, with prior experience with the Philly public defender.

What are the chances of getting a sweet, sexy NYC Legal Aid Society job with my mildly dismal stats? Any advice?

Dang, Villanova doesn't even have a low grading curve. The median there is 3.25. I was hoping it was like 2.5. Not that I can tell you what your chances are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

MoFauxHawk posted:

Dang, Villanova doesn't even have a low grading curve. The median there is 3.25. I was hoping it was like 2.5. Not that I can tell you what your chances are.

Yeah I had a couple C+'s (Torts and Evidence) that have really butt hosed my GPA over the years.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

aarontxwl posted:

Coming from a Tier 2 school (Villanova :smithicide:), 3.3 GPA, published and managing Environmental Law Journal, with prior experience with the Philly public defender.

What are the chances of getting a sweet, sexy NYC Legal Aid Society job with my mildly dismal stats? Any advice?
My experience with PD work is this:
PD work is extremely local. Your philly PD experience is nice for NY, but doesn't really mean anything to them. You'll have much better luck in PA.

My experience: T20 law school. poo poo GPA. Good news or bad news PD offices don't tend to give a poo poo where your degree is from or your GPA. The bad news is they only care about your experience in a very narrow lens. If you have doen trials in the state in question -- awesome. No? Well they, might, might have a free position.
I was extremely active in my school's clinic. I did both prosecution and defense. I had a dozen trials. In Minnesota.
I moved to California -- no jobs. I worked for free at a county PD. When I couldn't stand commuting, I left after 9 mo. I started at another PD office, volunteer -- closer by. 3 months.
Got a paying job at the first office. Got laid off after 4 months. Got rehired after 1 month. Currently work there. Getting laid off Oct 31.
BUT, more than 2 years after the bar, I now have a full-time permanent job starting in December at a large PD office in SoCal. Permanent means if the money comes through.
I'm still doing an interview next wed because the money at my current offer might fall through.
YAY!
(Still better than private.)

FYI, no one I know at any PD office who has gotten a job since 2009 has not worked for free for at least 6 months post bar results.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I know of a couple of people who got a PD position out of school in CA, but most people I know did work for free for quite a while. Some people had a paid clerk type position while waiting for a full time PD position to open up. They were all true believers.

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

I know the Philly PD hires people as full-time interns before you take the bar, and it's paid. But I'm itching to get out of this town.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

nm posted:

BUT, more than 2 years after the bar, I now have a full-time permanent job starting in December at a large PD office in SoCal. Permanent means if the money comes through.

:cheers:

SoCal is lovely as long as you don't mind paying $8 for a sandwich errday

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Red Bean Juice posted:

:cheers:

SoCal is lovely as long as you don't mind paying $8 for a sandwich errday

I work in the bay now. I'm used to expensive.

However I will note: there is no "the 5" or "the 15" There is 5 and 15 though.

nm fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 21, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
HOLY poo poo.

LinkedIn has this feature which will graphically display where your classmates are working - if they are on LinkedIn and list that info. I'm sure it's not entirely accurate, but it's pretty amazing data, especially considering that law schools do such a lovely job of reporting employment stats.

check it:

these numbers are weird though

entris fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Oct 21, 2011

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I looked at a classmate's facebook profile the other day, and under employment all she has is "worked at the gap as a sales associate"

note that it says "worked"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

entris posted:

HOLY poo poo.

LinkedIn has this feature which will graphically display where your classmates are working - if they are on LinkedIn and list that info. I'm sure it's not entirely accurate, but it's pretty amazing data, especially considering that law schools do such a lovely job of reporting employment stats.

check it:

these numbers are weird though

Am I really the only one from our year to go to the PTO?

e: we should compare classes, because i swear to god there was another goon in my property class with cashin or something that i sat next to and didn't know he was a goon until like the end of the semester when i noticed he was reading the forums

is that you

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Where is that? Can't find it on LinkedIn.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I hate to ask this, but is LinkedIn actually a thing?

Meaning: should I be reading/responding to/acknowledging invites and contact requests or whatever? Do people actually use/benefit from it? Everything they send me gets shunted off into my spam filter and I've never bothered to follow up on it.

I acknowledge that I'm completely clueless here, just wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Alaemon posted:

Meaning: should I be reading/responding to/acknowledging invites and contact requests or whatever? Do people actually use/benefit from it? Everything they send me gets shunted off into my spam filter and I've never bothered to follow up on it.

I acknowledge that I'm completely clueless here, just wondering if I'm missing out on something.

Honestly the 3-4 people I have talked to basically said they made a linked in as a way of getting their names nearer the top of the google search ranking because they wanted to help bury semi hilarious/embarassing stuff.

I guess it would/can be useful if someone wanted to check out your qualifications/details if they already knew about you and wanted to learn more but otherwise it seems pretty useless imo

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do actually know someone who got a job through linkedin, but I don't know her very well so I don't know how she did it.

But it can be done.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Alaemon posted:

I use LinkedIn essentially as an online rolodex. It's a really easy way for me to keep track of professional associates and be able to get in touch with them if I need to. In a few cases I've helped people land (or landed myself) interviews through the whole thing, but I don't necessarily buy the whole "get introduced!!" thing, at least not at this point in my career.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
(from the income tax thread)

HiddenReplaced posted:

Uhg...I should probably meet with an accountant.

HR, you can't dog on accountants man, you are a lawyer. They are our brothers-in-arms against laypeople.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

entris posted:

(from the income tax thread)

HR, you can't dog on accountants man, you are a lawyer. They are our brothers-in-arms against laypeople.

Haha, you're right. I fixed it.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
fffuuuuuuuuuuuuu i completely forgot about my pro bono requirement. any columbia law goons have a suggestion on the most painless way to get this done?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

fffuuuuuuuuuuuuu i completely forgot about my pro bono requirement. any columbia law goons have a suggestion on the most painless way to get this done?

I did a chapter for the Jailhouse Lawyer's Manual over a vacation. Pretty painless, all told.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So I work for a law firm (in a call center. We're one of them nationally advertised PI/WC/Disability law firms.) and I have a question: is "sarcastic comments about horrible clients" a course y'all are required to take in law school? Some of the comments I've come across in client/prospect files are hilarious. Then again, we've had some crazy clients.

I'm seriously considering doing the whole law school thing now that I see what our attorneys do all day. It honestly looks like stuff I enjoy doing-mostly, it's a lot of paperwork. And I really don't mind paperwork. PI actually looks like a lot of fun. A lot of paperwork and critical thinking type stuff to prove that yes, this person got hurt, and yes, this other person/business is responsible for it.

Also: Rutgers Camden, is it really as awesome as I keep hearing it is? It's 10 minutes away, and my career goals would be either stick with the whole PI/Disability type thing because it's actually kinda awesome to walk out of work knowing that I'm helping people who need it (and some who don't, but we try our best to weed out those that are just trying to avoid working) get money, or go the public defender criminal law route. It's a T2 school, but apparently has a 93% placement rate 9 months after graduation. It's also dirt cheap for in-state tuition. (like, 22k/year) I just like law and find it fascinating-I'd be happy making 35k/year-that's more than enough for rent/bills/loan payments where I'm living, so I don't really care that I'd be going a school in danger of falling of the top 100 rankings so long as I could get a job.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

"Only" $22k/yr, and let's say you live extremely frugally and manage to survive on $10k/yr living expenses. Then that's almost $100k spent to try and land a $35k/yr job. Really?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Linguica posted:

"Only" $22k/yr, and let's say you live extremely frugally and manage to survive on $10k/yr living expenses. Then that's almost $100k spent to try and land a $35k/yr job. Really?

Well.. s/he just likes law. And finds it fascinating.

And s/he has these feelings

while working at a call center

for a plaintiff-side class action law firm.

:psyduck:

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

AA is for Quitters posted:

So I work for a law firm (in a call center. We're one of them nationally advertised PI/WC/Disability law firms.) and I have a question: is "sarcastic comments about horrible clients" a course y'all are required to take in law school? Some of the comments I've come across in client/prospect files are hilarious. Then again, we've had some crazy clients.

Does Binder wear that hat all the time?

Don't go to law school, this is the worst time in the history of time to go to law school. Go to med school.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

LawHelpNY. Be sure to go to the info session because it filled up quickly my year. Provides more than enough hours and work from home.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

It's a T2 school, but apparently has a 93% placement rate 9 months after graduation. It's also dirt cheap for in-state tuition. (like, 22k/year)

The job placement rate is misleading. McDonald's, retail, and one-month research assistant job at law school's library that happens to be nine months after graduation all count as employed. And people who are too depressed to submit surveys saying they're unemployed (among other reasons for not submitting surveys) aren't included in those statistics, I think.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

entris posted:

Well.. s/he just likes law. And finds it fascinating.

And s/he has these feelings

while working at a call center

for a plaintiff-side class action law firm.

:psyduck:

I survive right now just fine off of much less than that, paying off other debts. I like it, I find it fascinating, and I honestly don't even know if I'd do anything with a JD. Just...I really want to study it. I still have another semester left on my bachelors, and will likely take a year after finishing it to have some savings built up, so maybe things won't be so bad 5 years from now.

I have no desire to do the doctor thing. I really don't. I've gotten bored and read up on tort law and found it interesting. Law history is awesome. Learning about all the minutae that makes the world work is...cool. I have a lot of down time between calls that I could/do use to study, so the night school thing wouldn't be a problem and would cover the living expenses-so I'd be dishing out ~70-75k for student loans with tuition+books.

It's like, after bouncing around through a lot of different options and never really considerig law because it seemed like 3 years of education just to stand up in court and go "I object!" pheonix wright style or sit in an office being a glorified businessman doing mergers and all that stuff...realizing that there's far more to law than that has made me realize that there's something I could actually like doing that's not "destroy my knees and back in a kitchen for $9/hr" and is actually a respectable job.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008

I like it, I find it fascinating, and I honestly don't even know if I'd do anything with a JD. Just...I really want to study it.

I have some law books I can sell you. It'll be much cheaper.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

realizing that there's far more to law than that has made me realize that there's something I could actually like doing that's not "destroy my knees and back in a kitchen for $9/hr" and is actually a respectable job.

I don't blame you, no one would could have talked me out of it it either. That said you won't like your job and I make about 9$ an hour now. I seriously day dream about working in a kitchen washing dishes.

Edit: and I'm one of the "lucky ones" who actually work in the legal field after graduation.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I survive right now just fine off of much less than that, paying off other debts. I like it, I find it fascinating, and I honestly don't even know if I'd do anything with a JD. Just...I really want to study it. I still have another semester left on my bachelors, and will likely take a year after finishing it to have some savings built up, so maybe things won't be so bad 5 years from now.

I have no desire to do the doctor thing. I really don't. I've gotten bored and read up on tort law and found it interesting. Law history is awesome. Learning about all the minutae that makes the world work is...cool. I have a lot of down time between calls that I could/do use to study, so the night school thing wouldn't be a problem and would cover the living expenses-so I'd be dishing out ~70-75k for student loans with tuition+books.

It's like, after bouncing around through a lot of different options and never really considerig law because it seemed like 3 years of education just to stand up in court and go "I object!" pheonix wright style or sit in an office being a glorified businessman doing mergers and all that stuff...realizing that there's far more to law than that has made me realize that there's something I could actually like doing that's not "destroy my knees and back in a kitchen for $9/hr" and is actually a respectable job.

I tell you what. Go prepare for and take the LSAT. Then come back and talk to us about whether you should go to law school (you probably shouldn't). You'll have to take the LSAT if you decide to go, and your score will help you figure out your options.

If you just like reading about the law, let me point you to this page, which has a collection of books presenting the law through the lens of ten to fifteen seminal cases. The writing is great, the stories are great, read through these and then realize that law school is nothing like these books.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Also: Rutgers Camden, is it really as awesome as I keep hearing it is? It's 10 minutes away, and my career goals would be either stick with the whole PI/Disability type thing because it's actually kinda awesome to walk out of work knowing that I'm helping people who need it (and some who don't, but we try our best to weed out those that are just trying to avoid working) get money, or go the public defender criminal law route. It's a T2 school, but apparently has a 93% placement rate 9 months after graduation. It's also dirt cheap for in-state tuition. (like, 22k/year) I just like law and find it fascinating-I'd be happy making 35k/year-that's more than enough for rent/bills/loan payments where I'm living, so I don't really care that I'd be going a school in danger of falling of the top 100 rankings so long as I could get a job.

I am a Rutgers-Camden Law alum. If you go there, you will graduate with less debt than most other schools, but that is relative. Most of my classmates were unable to find jobs in the legal profession - the reason the 9 month employment figure is so high is because they have a solid evening program. Evening students generally have non-legal day jobs, such that after nearly a year of trying to find gainful legal employment, they return to those non-legal day jobs. This still counts as "employed" for the purposes of the "9 month placement" statistic.

Anecdotal evidence: I like my job, I work as a lawyer, and I make pretty good money. Most of my classmates are unemployed and/or miserable. So you have like a 1/90 (counting only evening students) chance of finding hapiness at RU-Camden Law!

Finally, anyone telling you Rutgers-Camden is "awesome" for any standard defintion of the term "awesome" is retarded.

NJ Deac fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 24, 2011

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

TheBestDeception posted:

LawHelpNY. Be sure to go to the info session because it filled up quickly my year. Provides more than enough hours and work from home.

This is a very good idea and I appreciate it. I think your year is my year. I'm a 3L who is just really lazy about anything not directly related to getting a job

Where can I go for more info? I've never gotten an email from the law school about any info session or anything. If you could just point me in the right direction that would be great.

flog montresor
May 10, 2008

Feces Starship posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't leave the pro bono requirement for 3L year? I guess I could make room for it in 2L if I had to, but I'd really rather not.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
mpre study advice - go

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Feces Starship posted:

mpre study advice - go

mpre study advice - convince someone in your class to email you a few recordings of poo poo and burn them to cd and listen to some of them on the drive to the testing facility. And ace it.

Also I volunteer at my local Youth Court for pro bono hours. It's hilarious and adorable and doubles as a free CLE somehow!

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

quote:

Learn how an introverted, alcoholic mute mastered psychological warfare and became a verbal hitman for a top NYC law firm.

http://e-library.net/Win-Arguments__visit12094.html

This page is hilarious:

quote:

Verbally and psycologically (sic) manipulate your opponent into submission.

quote:

Discover how to use “power sentences”

Only $37995.95 $17.95!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I wish I didn't find this thread, I'm not sure how I'm going to pay attention in class now.

At least it's only 3L year.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mikeraskol posted:

I wish I didn't find this thread, I'm not sure how I'm going to pay attention in class now.

At least it's only 3L year.

What school? Are you going to work at McDonald's or Walmart after graduation?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

entris posted:

What school? Are you going to work at McDonald's or Walmart after graduation?

I'm at NYU and lucky enough to have a post-graduation job offer. I'm a transfer student, did my first year at FSU before coming up to New York.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Sorry, everyone I know from Rutgers-Camden law is gainfully unemployed and in debt. You can hate yourself for free, you know, you don't have to pay a hundred grand to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Feces Starship posted:

mpre study advice - go

I don't know about "advice," but everyone at my school who's taking the test is: (1) going over an official study outline from BarBri, Themis, etc.; and (2) taking one(ish) practice test and reviewing the answers they got wrong. Grand total of about 8-12 hours, depending. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edit: I guess I should note we've all taken PR... whatever that counts for.