Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

Granted these are hair and makeup reference sessions where, if it looks like I'm good for time or have a little extra, I can take a little more care over lighting and the like, but I still feel like the only real improvement over the last set I posted like this is slightly more even lighting. When I bang on a bit of post like this, I'm developing a sort of lower contrast, edge sharpened style that I quite like. Or at least sometimes I do, then I hate it. I don't know. I am crazy and have probably been doing too much photo work over the past two weeks or so.

I think my frustration is that I'm not excited by the composition of any of them. Maybe I just need to get a model over and spend a couple of hours with one model which will give me some time to play with a wide combination of lighting and posing, etc, which means I probably need to do a free shoot.

What do you all think, both about the shots and about that last paragraph?

You might want to mask out some of the edge sharpened stuff on her face as it makes the pores in the cheeks stand out quite noticably.

I think composition wise you're doing okay except maybe the last two. The last one especially I think you've got too much skin showing, maybe end the crop a little below the tattoo. The second to last one is a little too central to me, if you moved her in frame in either direction it'd be a lot neater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Thanks, yeah a little off the left would look better I think, same with a bit off the bottom of the last one.

I should know better than to leave the edge sharpening on the skin. Guh.

Thanks for the feedback :)

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Gazmachine posted:

Thanks, yeah a little off the left would look better I think, same with a bit off the bottom of the last one.

I should know better than to leave the edge sharpening on the skin. Guh.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I like all of them, the detail in the hair looks really great, especially that second photo. In the third, the vignette is a bit harsh in the bottom of the frame, and feels a bit too forced.

Friend of mine thought it would be fun to try some portraits together. My wife did the hair and makeup. We got to the location late and only had 40 minutes of light, so I had to work really fast. Given all that, I was really happy with what I got, knowing there's some flaws. It's the first time I tried a few fashion-y poses. I mainly wanted a solid portrait of her and really tried not to get an awkward face.

FINAL christi model-0205 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0212 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0218 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0224 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0237 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Really want to know what you guys think of this gradient over a b&w

FINAL christi model-0300 clean by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

The idea I had was to put a logo in the corner like this http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6035/6256521356_bfbe9face8_b.jpg

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Same model as the previous shot, in a family friendly wrapping! :haw:

Kammi Up Close by McMadCow, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I like all of them, the detail in the hair looks really great, especially that second photo. In the third, the vignette is a bit harsh in the bottom of the frame, and feels a bit too forced.

Friend of mine thought it would be fun to try some portraits together. My wife did the hair and makeup. We got to the location late and only had 40 minutes of light, so I had to work really fast. Given all that, I was really happy with what I got, knowing there's some flaws. It's the first time I tried a few fashion-y poses. I mainly wanted a solid portrait of her and really tried not to get an awkward face.

FINAL christi model-0205 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0212 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0218 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0224 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

FINAL christi model-0237 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Really want to know what you guys think of this gradient over a b&w

FINAL christi model-0300 clean by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

The idea I had was to put a logo in the corner like this http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6035/6256521356_bfbe9face8_b.jpg

I think gradients over B&W have to be used really carefully. I like them a little subtler than that. I don't think there's an asolute formula or anything, but I think they work better in certain colours and on certain images.

I think it would've been better if you had more time to relax her into the shoot than the 40 minutes. Was the gradient shot taken later into the shoot?

My favourite composition wise is the last one - I'd like to see that one without the post (or with similar post to the others) or maybe keep the gradient but hav the image in colour and make the gradient much weaker. I've seen that approach to post quite a lot, so it's hard to get excited about it.

Same with the leaning back pose - no offence to the model, because she's certainly pretty, but I think that sort of shot only really works with a woman with an unreasonably impeccable figure. I hope that doesn't come across as insulting or horribly sexist!

EDIT: Sorry about all the typos, it's early. Blegh.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Gazmachine posted:

I think gradients over B&W have to be used really carefully. I like them a little subtler than that. I don't think there's an asolute formula or anything, but I think they work better in certain colours and on certain images.

To support this, I think the technique works best when it works with the composition of the image. If the gradient led the eye from right to left towards the model, rather than along the vertical, it might have worked better. It's not a failure as is, I quite like the color choice, I just feel that it kind of just sits on the image being a gradient rather than being an element that adds and completes the piece.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

XTimmy posted:

To support this, I think the technique works best when it works with the composition of the image. If the gradient led the eye from right to left towards the model, rather than along the vertical, it might have worked better. It's not a failure as is, I quite like the color choice, I just feel that it kind of just sits on the image being a gradient rather than being an element that adds and completes the piece.

Yeah, that's spot on - the effect should compliment the composition.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Cross-posting from snapshot a day :) My first time shooting a kid (that sounds funny and I like it) so bear with me!

IMG_1742 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1672 by avoyer, on Flickr

The next one was taken without the father knowing... he didn't want to be in a picture and well I have issues with listening to people so I tried my luck without telling him :D

IMG_2217 by avoyer, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Do I spy a bit of drool in the third one? :)
Nice pictures, how old is the kid?

I've been asked to do some pictures by a guy who is having a baby in a couple weeks. I'm no good at real sized people, let alone babies. I think I bought myself some practice time by telling him they all look the same and pruney when they are newborn. As with everyone, I also say I'm a bit poo poo and not to expect anything good.

Clown fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 22, 2011

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Clown posted:

Do I spy a bit of drool in the third one? :)
Nice pictures, how old is the kid?

I've been asked to do some pictures by a guy who is having a baby in a couple weeks. I'm no good at real sized people, let alone babies. I think I bought myself some practice time by telling him they all look the same and pruney when they are newborn. As with everyone, I also say I'm a bit poo poo and not to expect anything good.

Ahaha yep, good eye!

He's 1 year old. It might be a weird comparaison but it felt like shooting a live band, only because you really have half of a second to capture the right moment because they never stay in place! Someone from the thread told me to have one of the parent where I wanted the kid to look, it's a great tip and it helped me a lot! :)

You should try with a newborn. Make sure the room is warm and they'll just sleep and lay there, you can do whatever classic pose (i.e: baby in a basket, dressed as a pumpkin...etc) you want once they're asleep! :)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

xenilk posted:

Cross-posting from snapshot a day :) My first time shooting a kid (that sounds funny and I like it) so bear with me!

IMG_1742 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1672 by avoyer, on Flickr

The next one was taken without the father knowing... he didn't want to be in a picture and well I have issues with listening to people so I tried my luck without telling him :D

IMG_2217 by avoyer, on Flickr

Really like the second one! The first one is a great shot, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the cooler processing. I think it works really well for a lot of the shoots you do, but I don't know...babies to me should be all warm and fuzzy :) Personal preference though - I think they're great and I'd love to see more from the set!

edit: I just looked at the first one again and the cool tones are growing on me, so feel free to disregard what I said.

What kind of lighting setup did you use? Was it all natural light? I just picked up a 430ex ii today because I have no willpower, and I'm excited to try working with flashes in portraits.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

What kind of lighting setup did you use? Was it all natural light? I just picked up a 430ex ii today because I have no willpower, and I'm excited to try working with flashes in portraits.

Aw thanks for the comments! :D

I used two rooms that were full of windows, it helped a lot :) I wanted to do it outside but it was very cold today so I had to improvise a little home made natural light studio :) Let me know how you like the 430ex !

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Tried to take a decent portrait of my kid. I was just messing around, otherwise I would have picked a nice backround, but I do like this pose.

Is the white balance off?

Picture Day! by Winston85, on Flickr

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Could use some advice on this:

My Faces by Learnin' Curve, on Flickr

I'm going for a 1960 album cover look using natural light, the highlights blew and I'm not sure how I feel about this. It's for my father but he thinks that every photo I take in black and white is the dogs so I'm not going to trust his critique on this one.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Mightaswell posted:

Tried to take a decent portrait of my kid. I was just messing around, otherwise I would have picked a nice backround, but I do like this pose.

I think the white balance is just fine for this.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Mightaswell posted:

I think it could be a little brighter. Cute kid!

Here's a portrait that I really liked. Posted big because I mean, why bother otherwise

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

nonanone posted:

Here's a portrait that I really liked. Posted big because I mean, why bother otherwise

That is a really nice portrait! Great job :)

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I shot twins. I thought I had the shot, was chimping then saw them doing that and quickly snapped those up! You really can't look at the back of the camera with kids, you'd definitely miss a moment.

Twins by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
Chick wants to be a model.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

nonanone posted:

This is great! I wouldn't mind seeing a touch more detail in the hair around her neck.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Thanks, may lighten that up. I'm glad that shoot wasn't a total waste of time because I worked with the most unprofessional make-up artist I have ever seen. I should've guessed something was up when she said she was going to send me examples of her work and she never "got around to it." She was also going on about how she usually just demands RAWs and edits them herself, and how some photographers take a whole TWO WEEKS to get photos to her, one of the models was her friend "omg it's our first photoshoot together!" it was just so frustrating. I'm only going to give her the bare minimum that's for sure.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
My two cents on that photo is that the hair at the neck isn't as big a deal as that on the top of her head, which is exposed just fine. The hair to the right of her face is ok as is because this way it isn't competing with her face for attention.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

That's funny, I had a model demand I email her all the RAW images halfway through a shoot. That's like 3+ gigs, it's not happening. So I sent her a zip of 800 pixel, watermarked images :parrot:

Here's my most recent shoot. This is open shade at high noon:

In the outdoor shower by Chris Hayden Photo, on Flickr

The light was fantastic in only this one spot, everything else from the shoot was a wash. Touched up some blemishes, and boosted her hair a bit.

vvv Yes, I need to learn skin retouching for her face. She was in fantastic shape.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 27, 2011

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
His head is a different colour to her body.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Yeah, it kinda looks like her head has aged 30 years faster than her body.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I think that's called "The Hogan Effect"

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Gazmachine posted:

I think that's called "The Hogan Effect"

Her hair isn't near majestic enough to even begin suggesting that she's fallen victim to the Hogan effect. It's kind of like a Benjamin Button gradient

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

She kind of looks like Prime Minister Harriet Jones.

Some prints from my session this past weekend. Haven't developed my 6x6 yet, but I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Kelsey by McMadCow, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
She doesn't look as comfortable as most of your other portrait subjects. I think the second is the weakest because she's dead center and I find the sky distracting, because it just touches her head. But I really like the pose in number three.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

She doesn't look as comfortable as most of your other portrait subjects.

Yeah, I was trying to work with her on being more expressive. It was a bit odd how stoic her expressions were, considering she's an ex-runway model. And not because she's shy, either. I'm still generally happy with how they turned out, but yeah, I wish there was a little more "mood" about them.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The profile shot is really killer

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I think the second one is the best of the lot. It does look like she's only got one foot though.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

IMG_2549 by avoyer, on Flickr

Crosspost from SAD :) I had a bit of worry with that kid, he wasn't in the mood to have his picture taken... but I did my best and got a few good shots out of it :)

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
First time I've done any posed portraits or anything. I know there's some average posing such as cutting off limbs etc, but that means all the more room for improvement!

More here (some variations on the same theme, ie split toning, B&W): http://www.flickr.com/photos/68887398@N07/sets/72157628008074176/

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Auditore posted:

First time I've done any posed portraits or anything. I know there's some average posing such as cutting off limbs etc, but that means all the more room for improvement!

More here (some variations on the same theme, ie split toning, B&W): http://www.flickr.com/photos/68887398@N07/sets/72157628008074176/

I feel like the ones with her smiling look really forced. It's not a natural smile at all. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the looking off camera thing. I think the second one would be way stronger if she was looking directly into the lens. I do like the processing though.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

CarrotFlowers posted:

I feel like the ones with her smiling look really forced. It's not a natural smile at all. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the looking off camera thing. I think the second one would be way stronger if she was looking directly into the lens. I do like the processing though.

Echoing that comment, great critique.

Edit: Use her for other shoot, she has a great style/genre... and don't be afraid to get in her face :) Close ups can be fun.

xenilk fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 30, 2011

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
See if you can bring some consistency to the white balance. She's changing color a lot.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
Thanks for the critique guys. She's a friend from high school, not a proper model or anything and it's actually quite hard to get her to pose while mucking around with focusing, exposure and all the other photographic elements.

I was shooting at about f1.8 deliberately for that close-up shot where I should have been at around f2.8 because I ended up missing focus a fair bit.

When I try and correct the WB on those slightly orange-ish shots it goes very blue :(

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Auditore posted:

Thanks for the critique guys. She's a friend from high school, not a proper model or anything and it's actually quite hard to get her to pose while mucking around with focusing, exposure and all the other photographic elements.

I was shooting at about f1.8 deliberately for that close-up shot where I should have been at around f2.8 because I ended up missing focus a fair bit.

When I try and correct the WB on those slightly orange-ish shots it goes very blue :(

Do you focus + recompose? Once you get the hang of it it's fairly quick :) Next time just have most of the shots of her looking at you or doing one of the 6 poses that's in the document in the original post (which is very informative). Can't wait to see more pictures :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Go the other way: warm the others up.

This is a great attempt, if it's one of your first portraits. It gets easier the more you do it, so keep shooting! Post is a completely different skillset and you get better with practice.