Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

Mister Roboto posted:

I think that's more to do with the extremely simplistic white/black good/evil that Star Wars is all about.

-Bad guys are ALL evil to the bone, dress in black and look like ugly demons, Maul being the pinnacle. And their names are INSIDIOUS, INVADERS, TYRANTS and PLAGUES. Oh, and Grieve.
"Grievous" also means "a really really nasty wound".

quote:

Pretty much Christianity's basic tenets right there. Again, not trying to bash religion, but it really is just that: X is good, Y is bad, no shades of grey.

That's Star Wars storytelling.

These things aren't particular to Star Wars and Christianity, they're archetypal. They appear in many, many, many stories created by people modern and ancient, because for the most part that is just how we like stories to be. If you wanted to make a case for appealing to a religion based on a clear duality and separation between the forces of good and forces of evil, you'd have more backing to say it would appeal to Zoroastrianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ZeeToo posted:

Nope, most of the Death Star got sucked into a mysterious hole in hyperspace and was spread evenly across the galaxy.

Going by that crazy books logic though, would mean Kessel isn't a massive Asteroid that barely can sustain an atmosphere is instead just Tatooine 2.0 though :smith:.

That and Admiral Ackbar has a hard on for Aquatic conservation.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Why would it specifically go to Mon Calamari, one planet in a big big universe?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Going by that crazy books logic though, would mean Kessel isn't a massive Asteroid that barely can sustain an atmosphere is instead just Tatooine 2.0 though :smith:.

That and Admiral Ackbar has a hard on for Aquatic conservation.

That dovetails beautifully with the presentation Ackbar got in "Jedi Academy"!

And Kessel? They just had the atmosphere plants going full-tilt then!

:pseudo:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Graviton v2 posted:

Why would it specifically go to Mon Calamari, one planet in a big big universe?

Mon Calamari, like every other character, has been everywhere and done everything in the galaxy. Except it's a planet.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Huitzil posted:

"Grievous" also means "a really really nasty wound".

These things aren't particular to Star Wars and Christianity, they're archetypal. They appear in many, many, many stories created by people modern and ancient, because for the most part that is just how we like stories to be. If you wanted to make a case for appealing to a religion based on a clear duality and separation between the forces of good and forces of evil, you'd have more backing to say it would appeal to Zoroastrianism.

I wasn't making a case for Lucus deliberately appealing, nor was I saying this is unique to Star Wars.

I was explaining why the demographics of Hardcore Christianity and Star Wars overlap, and that's because there's a very clear parallel in the manner of dichotomous thinking. Good and evil. These guys are good, these guys are evil.

To put it another way, a show/series that was about challenging your beliefs, questioning if you're actually right and realizing that life is compromise and shades of grey, it'd probably be less popular with people who think in good/evil black/white terms.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I wasn't making a case for Lucus deliberately appealing, nor was I saying this is unique to Star Wars.

I was explaining why the demographics of Hardcore Christianity and Star Wars overlap, and that's because there's a very clear parallel in the manner of dichotomous thinking. Good and evil. These guys are good, these guys are evil.

To put it another way, a show/series that was about challenging your beliefs, questioning if you're actually right and realizing that life is compromise and shades of grey, it'd probably be less popular with people who think in good/evil black/white terms.

Explain adiaphora :smugbert:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Explain adiaphora :smugbert:

The real life equivalent of being a :smug: Rogue Jedi :smug:

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Van Dis posted:

Mon Calamari, like every other character, has been everywhere and done everything in the galaxy. Except it's a planet.

Mon Calamari stole the death star plans?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

And even though everybody thought it was that other planet that pulled a Deus Ex Machina ended the Vong thing, it turns out it was actually Mon Calamari behind the scenes. Sort of like IG-88 and the Death Star. It rhymes. It's like poetry.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
After reading this NPR review:

Star Wars: Darth Vader: A 3-D Reconstruction Log

It sounded in-line with the visual dictionary books although without checking it out first, I wasn't going to buy it sight-unseen from Amazon. After thumbing through it at my local B&N, I confirmed that it similar was and bought it for $20.

Despite being in the children's section, a book about Vader's inner workings seems hardly the subject matter for kids younger than maybe 13 years old. It's a very quick read so some may be turned off by that and the price for 22 "pages" but I think it's really well done. Each page section has a cut out of the particular section of Vader they're discussing, like his helmet, or his skeleton.

Among the highlights:
  • Referencing the general cheapness on Vader's reconstruction that I believe was touched on in The Rise Of Darth Vader.
  • Humorous notes from the late 2-1B/DRX like "I've seen organic beings starve rather than swallow RepMed vitapaste and have therefore installed a redundant system to accomodate intravenous feeding." and "The patient's inability to fully use the Force has been duly noted in my official report to Emporer Palpatine along with this addendum: Not my fault."
  • I consider myself fairly EU-knowledgable about post ROTS Vader and it contains details that I wasn't aware of such as, they never replaced his right arm (It wasn't that damaged on Mustafar?), he has an artificial sternum, augmentation of his remaining skeleton's strength, etc.
If you're a fan of the visual dictionary books, this book is worth it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cheesus posted:

After reading this NPR review:

Star Wars: Darth Vader: A 3-D Reconstruction Log

It sounded in-line with the visual dictionary books although without checking it out first, I wasn't going to buy it sight-unseen from Amazon. After thumbing through it at my local B&N, I confirmed that it similar was and bought it for $20.

Despite being in the children's section, a book about Vader's inner workings seems hardly the subject matter for kids younger than maybe 13 years old. It's a very quick read so some may be turned off by that and the price for 22 "pages" but I think it's really well done. Each page section has a cut out of the particular section of Vader they're discussing, like his helmet, or his skeleton.

Among the highlights:
  • Referencing the general cheapness on Vader's reconstruction that I believe was touched on in The Rise Of Darth Vader.
  • Humorous notes from the late 2-1B/DRX like "I've seen organic beings starve rather than swallow RepMed vitapaste and have therefore installed a redundant system to accomodate intravenous feeding." and "The patient's inability to fully use the Force has been duly noted in my official report to Emporer Palpatine along with this addendum: Not my fault."
  • I consider myself fairly EU-knowledgable about post ROTS Vader and it contains details that I wasn't aware of such as, they never replaced his right arm (It wasn't that damaged on Mustafar?), he has an artificial sternum, augmentation of his remaining skeleton's strength, etc.
If you're a fan of the visual dictionary books, this book is worth it.

You might want to check out The Complete Vader, which is a general overview of the charater and his development and how his popularity rose.

It also has some sweet sketches, illustrations, photos, interviews, etc, and talks alot about the intial concept of Vader (Ralph McQuarrie imagined him to be a reedy rat-faced sorta hunchback), the public reation prior to and after the release of a New Hope, and how he's become an "icon of evil" in the public mind.

Even better, it talks more about the OT Vader than it does Anakin, even though they devote a section to him.

If you can get it cheap (I got mine in a cheap bookstore for under Ł5 :D) then it's worth a look.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Thanks for the recommendation! I might buy it (or put on my Christmas gift list). I saw it B&N but all copies were sealed so I wasn't able to browse it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

quote:

Referencing the general cheapness on Vader's reconstruction that I believe was touched on in The Rise Of Darth Vader.

This is terrible and I can't believe people are letting this float.

Dude is the second most powerful being in the entire known galaxy, and is the culmination of a thousand years of Sith machination. There's no loving way Sidious was going to cheap out on Darth Vader.

Alternatively, Darth Vader is the second most powerful/second richest person in the entire galaxy, and a massive tech nut down to having his own prototype TIE fighter. Do you think he would settle for second best ANYTHING in his prosthetic work?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 24, 2011

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

arioch posted:

This is terrible and I can't believe people are letting this float.

Dude is the second most powerful being in the entire known galaxy, and is the culmination of a thousand years of Sith machination. There's no loving way Sidious was going to cheap out on Darth Vader.

Alternatively, Darth Vader is the second most powerful/second richest person in the entire galaxy, and a massive tech nut down to having his own prototype TIE fighter. Do you think he would settle for second best ANYTHING in his prosthetic work?

He was on the verge of death. "what we can get now" outweighed "what's the highest quality" and once he was in it, taking him out for upgrades would have killed him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Since ROTS, Palpatine in my eyes has gone from a Machiavellian Politician and closet Sith Lord to crazy rear end in a top hat evil space wizard (Dark Empire now making more sense really) so it my view it fits perfectly.

"Hey Vader, want the new iSeptic bag upgrade? tough!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Torael_7 posted:

He was on the verge of death. "what we can get now" outweighed "what's the highest quality" and once he was in it, taking him out for upgrades would have killed him.

"What we can get now" should be the loving good poo poo considering they were able to stick him in a thing and take him all the way from Mustafar back to Coruscant before they had to fit anything on him, without him dying, after he'd already been out in the open with all his bits burned off for hours.

And you can't tell me they can't switch prosthetics in and out on him at will.

Really, somebody poo poo out a "Darth Vader has cheap hardware" turd, smeared it on a piece of paper, some other spergelords and morons ran with it, and you're all just lapping it up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 25, 2011

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

drat it. :(

YouTube posted:

Dear <Kazy>

We have disabled the following material as a result of a third-party notification from Lucasfilm Ltd claiming that this material is infringing:

Star Wars The Phantom Menace 3D Trailer (Youtube 3D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKKfy-lbDNw

They haven't gotten the baked-in 3D one yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgb3i61P9Aw

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

arioch posted:

"What we can get now" should be the loving good poo poo considering they were able to stick him in a thing and take him all the way from Mustafar back to Coruscant before they had to fit anything on him, without him dying, after he'd already been out in the open with all his bits burned off for hours.

And you can't tell me they can't switch prosthetics in and out on him at will.

Really, somebody poo poo out a "Darth Vader has cheap hardware" turd, smeared it on a piece of paper, some other spergelords and morons ran with it, and you're all just lapping it up.

Yes.. the sperglord in this post is... someone else..

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

arioch posted:

Personally, I've always thought it was a dumb idea. I remember thinking "Ugh" when reading it in Stover's book, only there to produce an unneccessary bit ("Vader's a cheap clunker! Hurrr!").

I'm also not sold on several ideas in the book. Like the idea that Vader needed a new collar bone or vertebrae due to combat injuries. Why? He was crawling up the hill before Palpatine found him (on the same arm they claimed he needed a new collarbone for).

I also don't understand a) not replacing his original artificial arm and b) giving only his right hand a special "Mandalore Crushgaunt".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cheesus posted:

Personally, I've always thought it was a dumb idea. I remember thinking "Ugh" when reading it in Stover's book, only there to produce an unneccessary bit ("Vader's a cheap clunker! Hurrr!").

I'm also not sold on several ideas in the book. Like the idea that Vader needed a new collar bone or vertebrae due to combat injuries. Why? He was crawling up the hill before Palpatine found him (on the same arm they claimed he needed a new collarbone for).

I also don't understand a) not replacing his original artificial arm and b) giving only his right hand a special "Mandalore Crushgaunt".

It wasn't Stover's RotS novelization. In that one Sidious goes there and does his best with it because the whole point of the exercise was Darth Vader. Darth Vader was his trophy, the crowning achievement of the Sith, etc.

RotS novelization posted:

On the table was strapped the very first patient of the EmPal SuRecon Center.

To some eyes, it might have been a pieced-together hybrid of droid and human, encased in a life-support shell of gleaming black, managed by a thoracic processor that winked pale color against the shadow's cloak. To some eyes, its joined limbs might have looked ungainly, clumsy, even monstrous; the featureless curves of black that served it for eyes might have appeared inhuman, and the underthrust grillwork of its vocabulator might have suggested the jaws of a saurian predator built of polished blast armor, but to the shadow--

It was glorious.

A magnificent jewel box, created both to protect and to exhibit the greatest treasure of the Sith.

Terrifying.

Mesmerizing.

Perfect.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 25, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Yes.. the sperglord in this post is... someone else..

It's always the other guy.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There are only two types of posts in this threads: Spergs and trolls.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Well, I'm going to change that.

Can anyone here help me?

I need a toy lightsaber handle for a costume project. Here's the thing, though, it needs actually be instantly recognizable as a lightsaber handle for the crowds, the blade won't be extended--I'll be removing it and any other electronics inside. I may put a blue/green/red light in it just for a glow, though.

Can anyone recommend a brand or toy name?

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Mister Roboto posted:

Can anyone here help me?

I need a toy lightsaber handle for a costume project. Here's the thing, though, it needs actually be instantly recognizable as a lightsaber handle for the crowds, the blade won't be extended--I'll be removing it and any other electronics inside. I may put a blue/green/red light in it just for a glow, though.

OH GOD!!!!!!

A true SW:ANH :EW fan would know that all light sabers are different, starting with Lord Frogcus Lu who had only a day glow orange saber unless he was fighting the spergos on Tantivene 4. I cant believe the idiots running my star wars these days!! Instantly recognizable??

You are insane and should go back to your stupid Star Trek RIGHT NOW!!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In all seriousness though just waltz into any toy store. You'll find a ton of them of varying quality from cheap knockoffs to official ones where the blades spring out and poo poo. Just look for what you want in your price range, since you're gonna cannibalize it anyway.

I guess you could also buy the Force FX saber handles (not the whole thing, they sell just the handles). Those are like $35 but actual metal and incredibly well detailed.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Mister Roboto posted:

Can anyone here help me?

I got one of these.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e26d/?srp=73

Even clips to your belt.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Darth Freddy posted:

I got one of these.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/collectibles/e26d/?srp=73

Even clips to your belt.

Bit pricy, but they look neat.

Since it'll just be the handle, I'd say...Darth Maul's looks like the most instantly-recognizeable as a lightsaber?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What was the original context of the "its like poetry it rhymes" line? I remember seeing it on a making of something or other but I cant remember what he was referring to. help me out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

zVxTeflon posted:

What was the original context of the "its like poetry it rhymes" line? I remember seeing it on a making of something or other but I cant remember what he was referring to. help me out.

Lucas was talking about how Anakin blowing up the Trade Federation ship at the end of TPM and getting a medal ceremony matched up with Luke blowing up the Death Star and getting a medal in ANH.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
You know, I like to bitch and complain about the prequels as much as the next guy, but every now and again I read stuff like this and all my cynicism goes right out of the window.
It's a father's story about watching Revenge of the Sith with his kids who are used to the Anakin of the Clone Wars TV show, and how they react to his fall: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-revenge-of-the-sith-devastates-the-kids-as-anakin-falls-from-grace

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Mister Roboto posted:

Bit pricy, but they look neat.

Since it'll just be the handle, I'd say...Darth Maul's looks like the most instantly-recognizeable as a lightsaber?

Yeah they are kind of expensive. If you are just going for a cheapo Halloween you'll wear one night and ignore, then it may not for you. If you are a big fan and have a office or mancave type area to display it then its more worth it. Being able to install the blade also is a great plus.

As for some one being able to spot it, I think any one that has seen star wars would know what Obi Wan or Darth Muals was easily. I can take pictures of Kit Fistos if you want a little more detail.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dave Syndrome posted:

You know, I like to bitch and complain about the prequels as much as the next guy, but every now and again I read stuff like this and all my cynicism goes right out of the window.
It's a father's story about watching Revenge of the Sith with his kids who are used to the Anakin of the Clone Wars TV show, and how they react to his fall: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-revenge-of-the-sith-devastates-the-kids-as-anakin-falls-from-grace

This story made me feel more genuine emotion then the entirety of the prequels.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dave Syndrome posted:

quote:

"Daddy… I just thought of something."

"What's that, buddy?"

"Luke Skywalker has to kill his daddy, doesn't he?"

"Looks that way."

"Daddy… can you promise me something?" I could hear the emotion in his voice, how close to tears he was, and I got worried.

"Of course. What's that?"

"Please don't be a bad guy."

Holy poo poo :3:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Dave Syndrome posted:

We better pray that Lucas never reads this. He will be seemingly vindicated in his craziness.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I used to think a lot of things were great, now I know they suck.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

We better pray that Lucas never reads this. He will be seemingly vindicated in his craziness.

Because he's on the exact emotional wavelength of an 8 year old?

I fear you are correct. :smith:

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

That is a really neat series of articles though. None of us here can really enjoy the experience of seeing 'the entire' saga without knowing all that's going to happen or what it leads to. It's cool to get some insight from the perspective of some very young kids who had never seen the movies before and didn't realize stuff like Anakin, a character they really like and are invested in as a hero, goes full on evil (instead of just a dick) and becomes Darth Vader. I'm excited to read his next installment covering Jedi. Based on what I've read so far his kids are going to continue flipping their poo poo when Vader throws the emperor over the balcony, and they're probably going to be happy that the Anakin they know (Hayden) is redeemed in the end as a force ghost thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beardless Riker posted:

That is a really neat series of articles though. None of us here can really enjoy the experience of seeing 'the entire' saga without knowing all that's going to happen or what it leads to. It's cool to get some insight from the perspective of some very young kids who had never seen the movies before and didn't realize stuff like Anakin, a character they really like and are invested in as a hero, goes full on evil (instead of just a dick) and becomes Darth Vader. I'm excited to read his next installment covering Jedi. Based on what I've read so far his kids are going to continue flipping their poo poo when Vader throws the emperor over the balcony, and they're probably going to be happy that the Anakin they know (Hayden) is redeemed in the end as a force ghost thing.

I'm glad these kids get to see Hayden smiling as a force ghost now. All the crap is worth it cause those kids are gonna flip out in the best way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lucas was talking about how Anakin blowing up the Trade Federation ship at the end of TPM and getting a medal ceremony matched up with Luke blowing up the Death Star and getting a medal in ANH.

So luke blowing up the Death Star was essentially blind loving luck?

The thing that irritates me so loving much about the PT is that all of the opportunities that were missed (like showing Anakin's powerful connection to the force or his innate ability with star fighters by having him actually kick rear end in the cockpit, as opposed to randomly slapping buttons and poo poo. If Lucas was such a loving hooplehead the PT could've been just been so loving good.

That or it was R2 doing all the fuckin' work.