Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Is there anything for those of us who dropped it doing a no-speed maneuver? Pulled up, killed the engine, put the kickstand down*, stepped off and wondered why my bike was pushing me over. No damage other than my ego.

*attempted

pfft. You don't get anything until you open your gas cap THEN drop it spilling your precious liquids everywhere. :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAsunHgIYps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Had to layerdawn today. Second turn on my way to work, ice cold tires, went in about 10mph faster than I usually do for some dumb reason. Started to slide, tried to correct...kinda put the bike back in a straight line, where I promptly hit a patch of loose gravel and slid with the bike for a second. Let go and I rolled...I think twice? The bike went into the ditch. It's kinda hosed up, but the forks, frame, exhaust, and tank are all good. I haven't had a lot of time to really go over it, just kind of running %100, adrenaline starting to wear off, kinda sore.

I am loving dumb and this is completely my fault. Will post more pictures soonish.

I was thinking about this for some reason today and thought the Tuono would probably look pretty good with a single headlight ala http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct711-triumph-street-triple-ace-cafe-special/

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I like that idea a lot, considering I've ridden at night approximately a dozen times. That, and the surround costs 280, the light, 250 used.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm not even going to post anymore when I get hit in a parking lot or gas station or the middle of the road and put the bike down at <5mph, breaking the left blinker and shifter. Three times this month.

In fact, I'm not going to repair those parts anymore. I put the blinker back together with electrical tape, and it sorta points forwardish. The shifter peg is now a 1/4-20 toggle bolt. That, I can bend back into shape, or replace for free.

You've wrecked 3 times in one month? Can-Am Spyder time.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

GanjamonII posted:

I was thinking about this for some reason today and thought the Tuono would probably look pretty good with a single headlight ala http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct711-triumph-street-triple-ace-cafe-special/

That bike :swoon:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

kylej posted:

You've wrecked 3 times in one month? Can-Am Spyder time.

That's a bit harsh

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aargh posted:

That's a bit harsh

I kid. But if you're hit 3 times in one month it's probably time to re-evaluate your riding style/habits.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

kylej posted:

I kid. But if you're hit 3 times in one month it's probably time to re-evaluate your riding style/habits.

No one deserves to ride a CanAm though, maybe a Ural with a sidecar that'd still be cool

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
There is another way:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Forty Two posted:

There is another way:

BUT MY CHICKEN STRIPS
:goonsay:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Forty Two posted:

There is another way:

A prime darkside candidate if I ever saw one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
And I get to add to this as well...

After putting 150 miles or so on a new set of tires I decided to go enjoy the fun roads before the weather got too lovely, and mapped out 140 mile loop to do, including some roads I hadn't done before.

Long->short, lowsided in a hairpin at 15 or 20 probably, bike and I slid into the gravel side on the road and then I slid into the bike. The bitch is I don't even know what happened. Everything felt fine and then my bars were cranked over and I was sliding on my hip, knee/leg, and wrist/palm. There was some wet patches and a bit of debris in the road but nothing too bad, and up until my brain was going "what the gently caress" I felt fine and smooth, nothing off.

Anyway I'm sure I'll start bruising but for the most part my gear held up. I stuffed my shin into some part of the bike and that's the worst hit/scrape I have, the fall onto my hip and leg was soft-ish I guess.

Bike turned out surprisingly well as well. It's an FZ6 so the front plastics are all cracked but not terrible, the tail plastic is busted, the engine cover is scraped to poo poo, and the bar ends are scraped. I think it spun on the engine cover mainly, the scratches go all ways.

I picked it up and looked it over and it wasn't too bad tho, rode it the 60 or 70 miles back from where I wrecked inspecting it a few times and it feels normal. I guess I'll have to take it out again to check.

It's a little unnerving having it happen the first back run after I get new tires since they're gonna be around for a while but I'm just telling myself it was me or something else.

Ouch. Pity I got to post in here before I posted my pilot road 3's in the "what have you done to your bike" thread.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Had you cranked it that far over on the new tires previously?

Glad you and the bike didn't get too roughed up.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I know it's unlikely at that mileage, but is it possible that you hadn't reached that lean angle yet? The tires may not have been scrubbed in as well on the edges.

e:f;b :argh:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Maybe the front I guess, I had the rear scrubbed for sure and I'm pretty sure the front was far enough over, but it's a possibility. It was a left hander, and after I had run the tires for 75 miles or so I took it back to a parking lot and leaned it till the foot peg scraped a few times, which still left a nice ring on the edge of the tire. I was nowhere near foot peg-scraping lean when it happened.

I'm sitting here trying to remember it clearly...it was before the slowest part so I think I was on the outside of the lane, still on brakes but not much at all, like just letting off as I was getting to take a wide apex on it and throttle thru the turn. Maybe I just asked too much from a new patch of rubber...

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

nsaP posted:

And I get to add to this as well...

After putting 150 miles or so on a new set of tires I decided to go enjoy the fun roads before the weather got too lovely, and mapped out 140 mile loop to do, including some roads I hadn't done before.

Long->short, lowsided in a hairpin at 15 or 20 probably, bike and I slid into the gravel side on the road and then I slid into the bike. The bitch is I don't even know what happened. Everything felt fine and then my bars were cranked over and I was sliding on my hip, knee/leg, and wrist/palm. There was some wet patches and a bit of debris in the road but nothing too bad, and up until my brain was going "what the gently caress" I felt fine and smooth, nothing off.

Anyway I'm sure I'll start bruising but for the most part my gear held up. I stuffed my shin into some part of the bike and that's the worst hit/scrape I have, the fall onto my hip and leg was soft-ish I guess.

Bike turned out surprisingly well as well. It's an FZ6 so the front plastics are all cracked but not terrible, the tail plastic is busted, the engine cover is scraped to poo poo, and the bar ends are scraped. I think it spun on the engine cover mainly, the scratches go all ways.

I picked it up and looked it over and it wasn't too bad tho, rode it the 60 or 70 miles back from where I wrecked inspecting it a few times and it feels normal. I guess I'll have to take it out again to check.

It's a little unnerving having it happen the first back run after I get new tires since they're gonna be around for a while but I'm just telling myself it was me or something else.

Ouch. Pity I got to post in here before I posted my pilot road 3's in the "what have you done to your bike" thread.

God drat this sounds almost exactly like my accident but it was more like a 70-80mph right handed sweeper, my Dunlop Q2s had about 1000 miles on them, I slid on my rightside shoulder/knee/hip/right palm.

Glad you made it out ok.

Theres some kind of new pothole where I had my accident.... i've ridden my VFR about 3 times this week for my commute and that same drat corner that I had my accident on i've taken it much slower and notice the nasty potholes right in the middle of the lane which likely caused the bike to get so unsettled at speed while leaned over.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Forty Two posted:

There is another way:

Just found this on Craigslist today, the ad doesn't mention them:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/2662055745.html

for posterity:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

the walkin dude posted:

for posterity:

I love the "adult ridden miles"!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

infraboy posted:

God drat this sounds almost exactly like my accident but it was more like a 70-80mph right handed sweeper, my Dunlop Q2s had about 1000 miles on them, I slid on my rightside shoulder/knee/hip/right palm.

I don't know what the gently caress it was but my Q2s liked to move around a lot for the first couple of thousand miles... then they started gripping. Really weird.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

for posterity:

Wait, what the gently caress, those are real? I thought the other picture was a joke?

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010
Time to write up my crash from this weekend!

4 of us were going up to Alice's Restaurant from Monterey Bay, via 9 to 35. About 5 miles(?) from Alice's, the front two riders got behind a fire truck, while the third rider and myself (I'm dedicated sweeper for all rides) were probably about 100 feet behind. Coming around a corner in that order, I see the front two riders lock up their brakes and smack into each other, because the fire truck had stopped in the middle of the road and was pulling a U-turn into a pull out (http://g.co/maps/9eby8) on the other side of the street. They smack into each other and go down, while the third rider manages to stop about 4 feet from them. Unfortunately as I came around the corner, I wasn't able to scrub enough speed to come to a complete stop, and my rear locked up. The third rider was trying to move off to the left, and I smacked into his exhaust, which toppled me down to the ground at about 35 MPH. I slid from the point of impact (the google link) for about 50 feet. Speeds were about 40-45 MPH around the turn, with the front riders coming around a bit faster.

My bike ended up with a cracked engine case, possibly bent forks and a poo poo ton of rashing. Guy that I hit stayed up, but his exhaust (an 1,800 custom exhaust) was completely bent up at the header along with a cracked left fairing and exhaust mount.

The two front riders are dating each other (even after this!), and the man has a grade 2 separated A-C, while the girl has a sprained wrist. I have a pencil lead sized bit of rash on my left ring finger knuckle where the pavement ate through the plastic, leather and kevlar of my gloves (A* GP tech), and a possible bone chip in my hand. Thankfully I always wear full leathers, boots, back protector etc. when I go out for a spirited ride, otherwise I would have been severely screwed up.

I'll post back with pictures of my gear when I can get some, but no pictures of the bike for awhile (it's about 40 miles away from where I live, currently stashed at my girlfriend's parents house.)

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but wear your drat gear. It'll save your loving skin and your life.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Everything about that sucks so hard. Sorry man :(

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Ahhhh, thats so unfortunate. Sorry to hear about that. Glad everyone is ok though, sounds like one of those wrecks that could have been much worse.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

DrCornelius posted:

Time to write up my crash from this weekend!

Sucks dude, but... how did you guys get out-braked by a firetruck?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the sequence of events; Either you guys were pushing a bit harder than you're admitting or people weren't paying attention or a combination of the two.

quote:

a grade 2 separated A-C

I had to look this up, sounds painful.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Sucks dude, but... how did you guys get out-braked by a firetruck?

Unless I'm misunderstanding the sequence of events; Either you guys were pushing a bit harder than you're admitting or people weren't paying attention or a combination of the two.

The fire truck was completely blocking the road, by the sound of it. But yeah, if coming from the direction suggested in that link, I would have thought you'd have to be going quicker than 45mph to hit it or each other.

Those things can hustle though. I was once on the Strand waiting to cross the road and one went sideways round Australia House, nearly taking the end of my nose off. I checked for ground effects and vinyl graphics, but no, it was a drifting fire truck.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If it was one of the really long ladder trucks, those things have independent steering rear wheels so they can get around tight corners. There's a guy in the back with a second steering wheel, controlling them.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

If it was one of the really long ladder trucks, those things have independent steering rear wheels so they can get around tight corners. There's a guy in the back with a second steering wheel, controlling them.

Mine? No, it was one of the regular UK versions that go out as single units, doing about 45mph and smoking it through the corner. I suspect the driver overcooked it slightly, but even so it was pretty impressive. It's a very tight double apex right off a long right curve, so he probably accelerated through the first, had to tighten his line and ended up sideways through the second so as not to end up in Cafe Nero.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Regardless of how they turn depending on what he means by 'fire truck' it can weigh 5-25 tons, it doesn't stop on a dime. Also, you would need a couple things going on to wreck that bad, like following the truck too close, the front riders too close together, not staggering in the lane, not using all available space in an emergency, etc - and DrC was probably target fixating on the third bike instead of looking for open space.

Not trying to rag on you, dude, but if you guys give a sober think on how you were riding there's probably more lessons to learn in there for future riding than just "wear all your gear".

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The truck was already stopped/blocking the road when they came around the corner. Clearly the firetruck picked a bad spot to do a u-turn. I'm sure DrC's group was going pretty fast, but you could probably make some sort of a case that the firetruck was making a dangerous/illegal maneuver. That being said, good luck getting anyone to blame the fire dept for the accident. Coming away from that wreck with saying you should always wear your gear is fine, but this is really a lesson in not riding like a cockhole on the streets. I'd suggest taking some of the wrecked bike funds and investing in a track bike and push your limits there instead of the streets.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I spent a lot of time on that road, and it's not a road where you should be going fast. Too populated, too many idiots, too much drama. The firetruck was probably gearing up to respond to another accident on the hill, which is the other reason that I don't generally ride up there. It's a shitshow any time you go up there during weekends.

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010
It was a smaller truck, not the full ladder one. The front riders were definitely following too close, and too close together. I don't BELIEVE that I fixated on the third bike, I was focusing on a gap between the tail end of the truck (at that point it had moved further than when the first two riders had gone down) and the third rider. This was the only space that I could have tried to thread through, and would have made it (I believe) if my rear hadn't locked up causing a more panicked reaction and at that point, possible target fixation. My options were A) Crush the two riders already down, B) Try to thread that gap, C) (the best option) Fully stopped before anything had happened. A) was obviously not the correct choice, C) I hosed up by not squeezing the front brake steadily and hard enough, B) was the option that I picked, gambled on, and lost.

There were definitely more lessons than "wear your gear". This is something I've been mulling over, and going over time and time again in my head to try and get a clear picture of what happened, and what I could have done. So don't worry, you're not ragging on me. Learning from a crash is an important part of staying alive.

A life lesson earned is a life lesson learned. And I definitely learned this one.

Klimpy Borf
Oct 22, 2010

Z3n posted:

I spent a lot of time on that road, and it's not a road where you should be going fast. Too populated, too many idiots, too much drama. The firetruck was probably gearing up to respond to another accident on the hill, which is the other reason that I don't generally ride up there. It's a shitshow any time you go up there during weekends.

Yeah it's not a road I choose for any of my rides, but my friend wanted to go up. The firetruck was actually responding to somebody that had hanged themselves in a park just up the road.

For fun rides, I generally pick something a little closer to home, like Carmel Valley Road.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DrCornelius posted:

There were definitely more lessons than "wear your gear". This is something I've been mulling over, and going over time and time again in my head to try and get a clear picture of what happened, and what I could have done. So don't worry, you're not ragging on me. Learning from a crash is an important part of staying alive.

A life lesson earned is a life lesson learned. And I definitely learned this one.

All BS aside, this is what really counts. Glad to see you're taking it in good stead.

Also, I'd highly recommend a bunch of practice doing emergency braking. Find a parking lot, get up to around 60mph, and practice getting hard on the brakes, getting hard on the brakes and then letting off them to swerve, and try the different ways of emergency braking (downshifting, no downshifting, blipping, etc) to make sure you apply the right type of emergency braking in each situation :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

DrCornelius posted:

For fun rides, I generally pick something where people don't hang themselves in a park as often, like Carmel Valley Road.
This is how your post read to me...

Glad to hear you're OK.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Guy lost it coming to a stop at a light while I was going the opposite direction today - the front of the bike just went out from under him, I'm guessing maybe he hit some oil or coolant on the road. Bike bounced off the car in front of him and landed on the median.

While we (me + a few other people who saw it happen) were helping him get his bike off the ground and out of the road, a guy a few cars back got out and started yelling "MOVE YOUR loving CARS, GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE WAY!"

Everyone was pulled off to the left turn lane, motorcycle was still on the ground with the rider just starting to stand up, and visible from where he was. I'm not a big guy, and this guy was probably twice my size, but I got mouthy and told him to shut the gently caress up, a guy is on the loving ground, chill the gently caress out. Somehow I didn't get my rear end kicked. Not my brightest moment, but with several people around it wouldn't have been smart of him to get physical either.

What little faith in humanity I had was destroyed by that one rear end in a top hat, though several people stopped to help. The guy who's car got tagged by the bike as it went down just shrugged and said he was glad the guy was okay; only damage to his car appeared to be some scuff marks from the front tire and.. plastic cladding? fairings? Is that what that stuff is called? :downs:

Bike took a lot of cranking to fire back up, and lost a signal and mirror, and the license plate bracket was bent. Rider probably needs some fresh underwear and likely a new helmet, but seemed to be fine aside from being really shaken up. Some kind of smaller displacement sport bike, and he had full riding gear on (full face helmet, all leathers, boots, etc). It was pretty low speed (10 mph if I had to guess?), so I doubt the leather did much except save him from some road rash - but his helmet whacked the pavement pretty good when he went down. I didn't see any signs of a concussion, though when he got his bike fired up he pulled into the nearest parking lot to calm down a bit.

Also found out a few days ago that one of my old coworkers died when his bike went down recently. I never saw him wear any gear except for boots and an occasional helmet (not full face). About a year previously he hit some debris doing about 60 on I-35 and went down hard - broken arm, broken fingers, tons of road rash, etc - you'd think he would have learned his lesson about wearing more than jeans and a jacket. RIP and all that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 26, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks for stopping and helping out, and sorry to hear about your old coworker.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The only time I ever saw a bike accident, I was on my way home from work, some dude swerved to get between cars/parked cars, lost it and had to lay er' down to avoid hitting other cars, it happened at like 2.5mph and he didn't even hit the ground, he landed on his feet and instantly started swearing... FUUUUUUUUCKKKKKK etc. He was wearing a tank top and shorts, I just gave him a wave as I rode past :\ brand new gsx-r, no sliders.

If it were any other situation I would have stopped, but I think the bike gods were not on his side for riding like a dong/no gear.

Then there was my wreck, which 100 people saw happen but not a single one stopped or even cared to ask if I was ok. A passerby that came up on my bike in the street stopped, but didn't see anything. Oh well.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I once saw a scooter T-bone a car while lane splitting. The traffic had stopped either side of an entrance to a housing estate, so that people could still get out, he just plowed on up the line of traffic and rammed straight into a car that was pulling out. I was waiting in the traffic for exactly this reason, although I have done it up that road before. I commuted on bicycles long enough to know to look out for gaps though.

Open face helmet and no other gear to speak of so as I could see, I didn't help out because I was a ways back and a bunch of nearby people had leaped out of their cars, he seemed to be up and relatively unscathed when I passed, lucky git.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

SaNChEzZ posted:

Then there was my wreck, which 100 people saw happen but not a single one stopped or even cared to ask if I was ok. A passerby that came up on my bike in the street stopped, but didn't see anything. Oh well.

I got creamed by an 18 wheeler in my 95 Civic about 5 years ago, on a busy highway.

Nobody stopped except for the driver of the 18 wheeler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Jesus Christ are people really this bad? I stop when I see a fender bender cause who knows? The person could be having a heart attacking causing the drat accident.

• Locked thread