Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

Surfing Turtle posted:

I have a Sakic also and yea I shoot high as gently caress. I pass really well with it though. What is a good pattern for say a mid height shot with good passing?

Anything with a heel or mid-heel curve and a closed or neutral face. Easton P4, CCM Lacavalier, Warrior Zetterberg, Reebok Duchene for instance. It seems that Bauer only makes pitching wedges.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Surfing Turtle posted:

I have a Sakic also and yea I shoot high as gently caress. I pass really well with it though. What is a good pattern for say a mid height shot with good passing?

On my Bauer One80, I have a Backstrom curve, and it gives me a strong mid to high shot, but passing and catching is great with it. Especially if you can do saucer passes. Speaking of those, I actually did one in a game last week and my linemate just had to catch it and smack it in for the goal (it was a 2 on 1), but he fumbled it away. :( He apologized afterwards, and I said we'll eventually get it. I was more surprised that I got the saucer pass to work in a game situation and not just practice!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What does everyone use as a backstop for their goals, if any? I'd love to get one of those EZ Goals to shoot in my garage (I don't have a yard), but I don't want to piss off my neighbors with pucks banging against plywood if I miss.

trilljester posted:

On my Bauer One80, I have a Backstrom curve, and it gives me a strong mid to high shot, but passing and catching is great with it. Especially if you can do saucer passes. Speaking of those, I actually did one in a game last week and my linemate just had to catch it and smack it in for the goal (it was a 2 on 1), but he fumbled it away. :( He apologized afterwards, and I said we'll eventually get it. I was more surprised that I got the saucer pass to work in a game situation and not just practice!

I used to roll with Backstrom, but my backhand was poo poo with it, plus the lie was too high. I went Stamkos and I couldn't stand it being neutral face. I'm now on Draper and it's the same goddamn thing as Backstrom.

I've spent way too much money on blades, and still haven't decided on a favorite yet :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 24, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've spent way too much money on blades, and still haven't decided on a favorite yet :sigh:

One would think you'd have tried the Zetterberg by now.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

Green Submarine posted:

Anything with a heel or mid-heel curve and a closed or neutral face. Easton P4, CCM Lacavalier, Warrior Zetterberg, Reebok Duchene for instance. It seems that Bauer only makes pitching wedges.

Easton P4? I am assuming P4 is either Reebok or Bauer as Easton uses player names for their patterns.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Surfing Turtle posted:

Easton P4? I am assuming P4 is either Reebok or Bauer as Easton uses player names for their patterns.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-blades.html

Dunno, that's what it said here. I've never really used Eastons, outside of a borrowed Heatley once, and I don't really like either Cammalleri or Zetterberg, so I decided not to choose.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Green Submarine posted:

Dunno, that's what it said here. I've never really used Eastons, outside of a borrowed Heatley once, and I don't really like either Cammalleri or Zetterberg, so I decided not to choose.

Ah the Zetterberg. Maybe I will take a look into it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gotta love marketing.

Instead of just publishing measurements that would actually help in selecting a stick, they name them after players. I suppose they wouldn't do it if it didn't work, stupid consumers! :argh:

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

xzzy posted:

Gotta love marketing.

Instead of just publishing measurements that would actually help in selecting a stick, they name them after players. I suppose they wouldn't do it if it didn't work, stupid consumers! :argh:

It gets worse when they actually try to tell you how the blade is most useful. For instance, Bauer is of the opinion that both a mid-toe curve with a rounded toe, and a heel curve with a square toe are good for toe drags:

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/bauer-blade-patterns.html

Both square toes and heel curves are terrible for toe dragging

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
Though from looking at the specs it looks like the Chara might be what I want. Everything is similar to the Sakic except it is a straight face instead of slightly open. Wait is straight considered neutral?

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

I haven't used it, but the Chara looks like a good all around blade, and would probably suit your purpose. I haven't seen it described as straight, but from the looks of it, it's a neutral face, which will give you good ability to control the height of your shot.

It is a big curve, so your backhand might suffer, but that's usually worth it if it helps other areas of your game.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

What does everyone use as a backstop for their goals, if any? I'd love to get one of those EZ Goals to shoot in my garage (I don't have a yard), but I don't want to piss off my neighbors with pucks banging against plywood if I miss.

I used to roll with Backstrom, but my backhand was poo poo with it, plus the lie was too high. I went Stamkos and I couldn't stand it being neutral face. I'm now on Draper and it's the same goddamn thing as Backstrom.

Obviously I don't have a goal yet but EZ Goal sells a backstop too that is like $50. Also, currently I'm just shooting into a sheet hung from a clothesline in my backyard so you could probably just hang some cloth behind a goal to make a backstop.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Green Submarine posted:

My Easton stick has an Iginla curve. I absolutely love that curve, but it's not super great for top shelf shots. Granted, I can get the shot to get up there, it just requires a bit more effort. Other than that, it's a great curve for backhanders and passing.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Warrior Zetterberg curved blades are under Savard. Same curve, pretty much, at least I can't tell the difference. Simple curve. I like it.

Gio fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 24, 2011

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Acethomas posted:

Anyone know when that new Easton stick that all the reviewers were buzzing about is hitting the market. The one that was going to be like 100-129 but blow that price point's competition away. I think it was like the 65S?

I don't think it was Easton.

I seem to remember a lot of chat about cheap good sticks because they're all made from the same place anyway. Based on remembering that and this little bookmark I have, I'm willing to believe that they were talking about Combat hockey (which rolled along with the mysterious Jagr equipment blackout).

Anyway, here's a link to a stick that's 99.99:

http://shop.combatsportsgroup.com/products/productdetail/part_number=22-CAL-SR1/3645.0.1.1

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

^^^ A guy that comes out to drop-in a lot was rocking a Combat stick last Thursday. Said he really liked it.

Wasn't bewbies supposed to post a Tron stick review?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Green Submarine posted:

One would think you'd have tried the Zetterberg by now.

I tried the Stamkos, which was also a mid-heel, and I hated it, so I'm assuming the Zetterberg would be similar. I much prefer mid to mid-toe curves.

Plus, it doesn't help that I need a low lie, which severely limits my options. Stamkos is the only one that's worn my tape out evenly.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't think it was Easton.

I seem to remember a lot of chat about cheap good sticks because they're all made from the same place anyway. Based on remembering that and this little bookmark I have, I'm willing to believe that they were talking about Combat hockey (which rolled along with the mysterious Jagr equipment blackout).

Anyway, here's a link to a stick that's 99.99:

http://shop.combatsportsgroup.com/products/productdetail/part_number=22-CAL-SR1/3645.0.1.1

No, Bewbies I think was talking about an "Easton 65s"

If you google it there are some blog posts about it from over the summer but nothing beyond that

e: Easton actually has it on their website too http://eastonhockey.com/svenska-stealth-65s.html

Thufir fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 24, 2011

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was that 65S. I was enormously impressed with it at that price point.

Still haven't gotten to try a Tron, hopefully I will in the next few weeks.

Doctor Butts posted:

I seem to remember a lot of chat about cheap good sticks because they're all made from the same place anyway.

This isn't quite accurate: at a given price point sticks across different brands tend to be pretty similar, but performance/weight is generally tied to price in a pretty linear manner. The reason why I've been so impressed with the Combat sticks so far is that they perform at a $220 level for $160, which is kind of rare.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
I always just wait until that end of season sale when you can get that $230 stick for $100. I forgot to get a new one this year after I broke one though so hopefully no one breaks my remaining stick :ohdear:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

lizardking posted:

I always just wait until that end of season sale when you can get that $230 stick for $100.

This happens?

edit - Well sorta, X60 on sale for $170. That's a really good deal.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 25, 2011

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

I bought one of those impact nets off of ebay, I think it is 25'x12' and put it up behind my net, with a piece of PVC running through the bottom just to absorb some of the puck

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

bewbies posted:

This happens?

edit - Well sorta, X60 on sale for $170. That's a really good deal.

It does at my Perani's. I think their online prices reflect their in store ones as well.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Game three in the books. The box score for our games so far.

4-1 L
5-0 L
5-0 L

Ouch. On a positive note I am playing a lot better, I broke up some plays, made a nice break out pass and was a pest in the slot. We played a team full of players that should of been in Tier 1, but whatever.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Had our first game after winning the championship against a team that 2 seasons ago we lost to in the finals. Turns out when you only have 7 guys dress you can beat the poo poo out of a team with almost double your numbers if you actually make smart plays and get a lot of garbage goals while camping in front of the crease.

But good god was I exhausted by the 3rd period.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

bewbies posted:

Still haven't gotten to try a Tron, hopefully I will in the next few weeks.
Get on it, damnit! I want a cheap composite alternative.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm sort of tempted to order one of these http://www.hockeytron.com/tr154.html

$70 and free shipping for a 450g 100% carbon stick?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

^^^ Holy cow, speaking of new sticks...

At the start of the season I had one stick remaining, an old composite Bauer, so I bought a new Bauer and a new Easton since Sport Check had a sale and I am cheap.

I started off using the old Bauer and the new Easton, and most of my clears and passes were flippy dribbling poo poo that caused a bunch of turnovers. Meanwhile I'd been using the new Bauer at home for wrist exercise and hand-eye stuff, and developed a man-crush on it. So last night I kicked the Easton to the curb and used the new Bauer, and whether it was the stick or just a mental thing, I had a shitload more power on everything.

It flexes like nobody's business and I finally felt I was getting use out of loading it. Love this thing. And my shots in the warmup owned bones.

I'm averaging one shot every 5 games so far so I am very excited for my next shot in 3-4 games.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Does anyone know of a decent place I could go to look at skates and such in the DC area? I know there's a few places around, but this is a big city and I figured there's gotta be someone around that would maybe know. Or even as far out as Philly (short train ride) or Pittsburgh (visit the family).

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

Sash! posted:

Does anyone know of a decent place I could go to look at skates and such in the DC area? I know there's a few places around, but this is a big city and I figured there's gotta be someone around that would maybe know. Or even as far out as Philly (short train ride) or Pittsburgh (visit the family).

If you're taking the train to Philly, you won't find much on public transit. Best pro shop in the metro area is in Voorhees, NJ, which is out a ways. The guys there know their poo poo, which is what you really want when you're looking for skates, but you'd have to drive.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the DC scene.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Sash! posted:

To help out with the Philly stuff you can actually take the PATCO to the Lindenwold stop (end of the line) and that puts you about 2miles from Flyers Skate Zone, which is the shop that Green Submarine is talking about.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

To help out with the Philly stuff you can actually take the PATCO to the Lindenwold stop (end of the line) and that puts you about 2miles from Flyers Skate Zone, which is the shop that Green Submarine is talking about.

Also if you can somehow get to Cherry Hill area (10-15 minutes outside of Philly) you can go to the new Hocky Giant Superstore. I just picked up a new pair of skates from them.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

cenzo posted:

Huh, the more you know...

As for Hockey Giant, they're great if you know exactly what you want (I just got a stick there this weekend; great prices and selection). The manager there is a good guy, but the floor employees are mostly teenage kids who might or might not be able to answer your questions or make informed recommendations. So it depends what you're looking for. If you know what you want, and want a place that will give you a good price and bake them on site, Hockey Giant is a great option. If you want to explore the options more with people who are deeply knowledgeable about the equipment, then seek out a place (like Flyers Stake Zone in Voorhees) with the right staff.

gce
Oct 11, 2004
how can i tell if my new skates are bakeable? just got a new pair of bauer vapor x3.0s

Thufir
May 19, 2004

gce posted:

how can i tell if my new skates are bakeable? just got a new pair of bauer vapor x3.0s

Ice Warehouse says they are: "Thermoformable - Material will mold to the players foot for a precise fit" http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Bauer_Vapor_X30_Ice_Hockey_Skates_Sr_2011/descpage-BV3S.html

e: My Bauers came with a yellow and black slip of paper that had baking temp and time info on it.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 26, 2011

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How many times can you bake a skate? My Vapor X:50s have slowly become uncomfortable along the bottom over the past year or so. I baked them when I originally bought them.

OR, should I just get those Superfeet things?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How many times can you bake a skate? My Vapor X:50s have slowly become uncomfortable along the bottom over the past year or so. I baked them when I originally bought them.

I've heard 2 or 3 times is the most you should do it. The theory given is it weakens any stitches or adhesive that holds the boot together, reducing life of the skate.

How much superfeet helps depends on what kind of pain you're feeling. Superfeet help with arch support, and not much else.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

I think you can usually get away with baking skates twice and if there's a specific part of the skate that is painful, then you can look into getting that area punched out.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

If it is the bottom of your feet/arch hurting I recommend the Superfeet, worked like magic for me.

I think I need to print this out and stick it on the bench for my next game, my team does pretty much the opposite of all of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Thufir posted:

If it is the bottom of your feet/arch hurting I recommend the Superfeet, worked like magic for me.

I think I need to print this out and stick it on the bench for my next game, my team does pretty much the opposite of all of these.

My team did exactly this for our last game (actually stuck it on the locker room door before the game). Won it 6-1 against a team that was undefeated too. Also, probably helped that their goalie was having an off night, their leading scorers weren't doing much scoring, and their goon wanted to make sure they were shorthanded for much of the night as well.

People who are smart about skates: I ordered a pair of MLX Skates and it looks like they will get here on Friday. (Theoretically my current Reebok 8Ks are good skates but after playing ~3 times a week for the past year I don't think they're going to "break in" any further and they're still lacking the comfort and flexibility I want.) Anyone have a pair of these MLXs and if so, what do you think of them?