Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Some Jerk
May 6, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Goldberg was basically Godzilla- the spectacle was seeing him wreck poo poo.

Goldberg's finest hour imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjDc9V1fGo&feature=related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
JR is so good at selling big moments. His reaction when Jericho was speared through the plexiglass still gives me chills.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 24, 2011

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Some Jerk posted:

Goldberg's finest hour imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjDc9V1fGo&feature=related

His selling of Nash's fury in that match is similarly spectacular. Look in Part 2. He just goes "Good GOD!" so genuinely after Nash spikes Randy with the Jackknife that you really think Nash has killed a man.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Some Jerk posted:

I had never seen that before as I missed pretty much all of his WWE stuff. Goldberg was a machine.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
One of Goldberg's greatest skills was

*Big move*

*Stare directly at hard cam*

edit: gently caress that is put together so well. Who was booking? Had Paul E quit yet?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I also never thought I'd see him pin Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels and Chris Jericho in the same match.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only problem I had was triple H winning which led to the retarded rematch at Unforgiven with the stips of "If Goldberg loses he leaves the WWE, title can change hands on a dq or count out." And it's like wow, really? You couldn't just have the face go over at Summerslam?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Some Jerk posted:

The commentary really sells this. It just makes WWE commentary in this day and age seem even worse.

I've said it before, but I really enjoyed post-Invasion WWE from 2002-2006. There was a lot of dumb stuff, but dammit, there was a lot of really, really great stuff, too.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 24, 2011

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LordPants posted:

One of Goldberg's greatest skills was

*Big move*

*Stare directly at hard cam*

YES.

That is a perfect goddamn example of the physical charisma we were talking about. It's simultaneously somehow subtle and also utterly overt. Like Goldberg is saying "Just try me motherfucker" to literally everyone watching, and dismissive of his opponent because he knows he just wrecked their poo poo.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Some Jerk posted:

That was probably the most perfect use of Goldberg I've ever seen in a match.

Hell, even the ending was pretty good, if a bit standard chickenshit heel beats unstoppable face. (Flair gets HHH a sledgehammer, hits Goldberg with it during a spear, HHH pins and retains)

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Actually reminds you that HHH is awesome at being a chickenshit. He has some of the best 'oh I'm hosed' faces we've ever seen. It's probably his best role and we never really see it anymore since he's fallen into the 'overconfident WWE Face' role for the past few years.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Toffile posted:

Hell, even the ending was pretty good, if a bit standard chickenshit heel beats unstoppable face. (Flair gets HHH a sledgehammer, hits Goldberg with it during a spear, HHH pins and retains)

Why? What does that accomplish that makes it worth doing over "Goldberg wrecks EVERYONE and wins, because he's loving GOLDBERG and that's what he does?" That's how Goldberg got over in the first place, that's what people wanted to see, and it's one of the few things that WCW actually did better than WWE.

To keep this from derailing completely into "WWE Is An Insanely Stupid, Self Destructive Company: Let's Look Back!" talk: Goldberg turning heel was also a stupid thing, as was Goldberg losing a match to Vince Russo.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Vince Russo even appearing on camera was a stupid thing.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

We all know Kevin Nash beating Goldberg was the wrong decision. But who should have been the man to do it?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Oatgan posted:

Vince Russo even appearing on camera was a stupid thing.

I think the greatest use of Vince Russo was when he came down to the ring with the Mamalukes because he might have actually fit as their loudmouth rear end in a top hat brother.

Otherwise he never, ever fit.

Hirams Bitch posted:

We all know Kevin Nash beating Goldberg was the wrong decision. But who should have been the man to do it?

Vader. I thought Vader was going to do it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

I think the greatest use of Vince Russo was when he came down to the ring with the Mamalukes because he might have actually fit as their loudmouth rear end in a top hat brother.

Otherwise he never, ever fit.

I didn't help that he has one of the worst speaking voices in human history.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Hirams Bitch posted:

I think if a face had won it (maybe Sting or DDP) you could've done an angle where Goldberg gets all mad and turns heel and destroys things trying to get his belt back.

I think Nash was a face at the time he won it though, so I guess that could have worked with Nash. Really anything but what actually transpired would have been good.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Vader. I thought Vader was going to do it.

I'm pretty sure Vader was long gone before Goldberg even debuted.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CVagts posted:

I'm pretty sure Vader was long gone before Goldberg even debuted.

He was in the WWF when Goldberg debuted. He went to Japan after he left the fed. As a kid, when Vader was barely on TV anymore and just got flattened by Kane, as a kid that told me he was leaving the WWF and I thought WCW would be picking him up to be the one guy who as a heel could match Goldberg in power.

Goldberg vs. Vader at Starrcade 98 would have been amazing.

Okay, if I can't pick Vader, The Giant. He never had a proper feud with Goldberg and was leaving the company soon. Great guy to face him at Starrcade. To break the streak?

It shouldn't have been broken in 1998.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I always thought the route to go with Goldberg was to take out all the heels (hogan, nash, giant, hall, flair, etc.) at PPVs, the gradually turn him heel. Then have him steamroll over all the top faces, until Sting beats him at Starrcade 99.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I always thought the route to go with Goldberg was to take out all the heels (hogan, nash, giant, hall, flair, etc.) at PPVs, the gradually turn him heel. Then have him steamroll over all the top faces, until Sting beats him at Starrcade 99.

How would you ever turn Goldberg heel after being that dominant?

Thinking back, if someone *has* to beat Goldberg, make it Randy Savage.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The guy to beat Goldberg hadn't been built up yet. There would have been a time and a guy eventually, but it wasn't on the horizon when Kevin Nash decided to make it Kevin Nash.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jeffersonlives posted:

The guy to beat Goldberg hadn't been built up yet. There would have been a time and a guy eventually, but it wasn't on the horizon when Kevin Nash decided to make it Kevin Nash.

It should have been Giant vs. Goldberg. Giant would have been so easy to build up as a guy who could actually beat Goldberg. They could have him no sell the spear and win World War 3 like a huge threat. Who cares if he's leaving? Goldberg gets to beat him at Starrcade.

Personally, the one guy they blew it with who could have beaten Goldberg was Bam Bam Bigelow. His story was great. He was a free agent, not a member of WCW who came out just to challenge Goldberg. The fans were hot to see it too but WCW just let it die in the worst way possible. Would Bam Bam been a good guy to beat Goldberg?

...sure, why not?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Lone Rogue posted:

How would you ever turn Goldberg heel after being that dominant?

Thinking back, if someone *has* to beat Goldberg, make it Randy Savage.

Have him become increasingly arrogant and just act like everybody in WCW is not on his level.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Have him become increasingly arrogant and just act like everybody in WCW is not on his level.

Yeah... that would make Goldberg look like Austin and act like The Rock.

Might have shifted WCW to win the war :haw:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I'm of the mind that DDP should have beaten Goldberg at Halloween Havoc.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Goldberg was already starting to get booed when he lost the belt. They just should've kept it on him until people got so tired of him that they booed him like they do Cena. No heel turn neccessary, but unlike Cena, they'd actually play into it and have him start building feuds with faces.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

Goldberg was already starting to get booed when he lost the belt. They just should've kept it on him until people got so tired of him that they booed him like they do Cena. No heel turn neccessary, but unlike Cena, they'd actually play into it and have him start building feuds with faces.

They weren't tired of him, they just kept having him face babyfaces like Nash and DDP.

Goldberg was still massively over and one of the biggest draws in wrestling.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The other piece of the Goldberg backlash is that they started heavily working his number record and piping in fake chants, both of which were completely unnecessary except that WCW wanted to control absolutely everything even when organic was far superior. Sound familiar?

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

I agree with this, but I don't know that anybody ever showed up that would deserve it in WCW. Maybe Sean O'Haire? Mike Awesome?

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Hirams Bitch posted:

I agree with this, but I don't know that anybody ever showed up that would deserve it in WCW. Maybe Sean O'Haire? Mike Awesome?

I think a thing they could have built up is the fact that, for the most part, Goldberg was running through guys bigger and stronger than him. Though really, he was mostly running through Konnan and Meng over and over again. I think it would have been neat to see a smaller guy out-quick and out-smart him. WCW had one of the greatest cruiserweight divisions, so there's a number of guys you could pick.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

punchdaily posted:

I think a thing they could have built up is the fact that, for the most part, Goldberg was running through guys bigger and stronger than him. Though really, he was mostly running through Konnan and Meng over and over again. I think it would have been neat to see a smaller guy out-quick and out-smart him. WCW had one of the greatest cruiserweight divisions, so there's a number of guys you could pick.

How many nitros in a row did he beat Jerry Flynn?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott Steiner was the man to beat Goldberg, somewhere in the summer of 99.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRayPer posted:

This right here is perhaps the truest thing to ever be put on the internet.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

The other piece of the Goldberg backlash is that they started heavily working his number record and piping in fake chants, both of which were completely unnecessary except that WCW wanted to control absolutely everything even when organic was far superior. Sound familiar?

Are you trying to tell me that the crowd isn't actually going insane for JTG when he appears on Smackdown because if so I don't know what the gently caress

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Goog posted:

Why? What does that accomplish that makes it worth doing over "Goldberg wrecks EVERYONE and wins, because he's loving GOLDBERG and that's what he does?" That's how Goldberg got over in the first place, that's what people wanted to see, and it's one of the few things that WCW actually did better than WWE.

To keep this from derailing completely into "WWE Is An Insanely Stupid, Self Destructive Company: Let's Look Back!" talk: Goldberg turning heel was also a stupid thing, as was Goldberg losing a match to Vince Russo.

To be honest, it really only set up where the feud was going to go. There were really only going to be two possibly good endings to the match, one where Goldberg just kills HHH, or the other where HHH doesn't win clean. There was no way in hell that HHH could win clean in that match without just destroying it. I have no problem with WWE running with it.

I've been running it in my mind and comparing it with the triple cage match in Wargames 2000. So much waste in one match.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

We don't see eye to eye on much, but this is something I never thought of even at the time and it's exactly what should've happened.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

We don't see eye to eye on much, but this is something I never thought of even at the time and it's exactly what should've happened.

It never even occurred to me until last week. Even ignoring the fact they had awesome chemistry it is really perfect.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
I know this was discussed earlier, but the difference between Goldberg and most other technical wrestlers or big guys was the quickness or the snap that Goldberg had in his moves. Big guys are usually slower, even slightly slower, so having a big guy that had some quickness really made a difference.

But that wasn't the only thing that Goldberg had and having that doesn't make someone a superstar. 3 Minute Warning had that same big guy quickness, too, and obviously they were nowhere near Goldberg's level. Part of it is having the right guy at the right place at the right time with some luck and sustainability. Someone mentioned the Ultimate Warrior and I think that's a great comparison. There are definitely a lot of similarities there.

I think the WWF tried to and could have made it work with Ahmed Johnson had he not gotten injured. Once he was healthy, it was too late - the spark was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I know this was discussed earlier, but the difference between Goldberg and most other technical wrestlers or big guys was the quickness or the snap that Goldberg had in his moves. Big guys are usually slower, even slightly slower, so having a big guy that had some quickness really made a difference.

But that wasn't the only thing that Goldberg had and having that doesn't make someone a superstar. 3 Minute Warning had that same big guy quickness, too, and obviously they were nowhere near Goldberg's level. Part of it is having the right guy at the right place at the right time with some luck and sustainability. Someone mentioned the Ultimate Warrior and I think that's a great comparison. There are definitely a lot of similarities there.

I think the WWF tried to and could have made it work with Ahmed Johnson had he not gotten injured. Once he was healthy, it was too late - the spark was gone.

Also Ahmed loved to injure people. He also loved T's