Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Azuth0667 posted:

A quick question about cookware. Are nonstick pots and pans usable after they've had something burned to the surface? I was making grilled cheese and some cheese got burned to the surface the burned stuff stained the surface black and now my roommate is going bonkers claiming the pan is hosed and has to be thrown out.

e: Also he claims butter left out a room temp will go bad in a matter of days, is this true? I ask this one for confirmations sake as I've left it out plenty of times before for a couple weeks with nothing bad happening.

2nd e: Can you use stuff like bleach/ammonia to clean cookware? (Not at the same time I know, unpleasant chemical reactions.)

If the nonstick is still intact then it should be fine. If it's bubbled up and showing bare metal underneath then you should probably replace it. On the scale of things to worry about, it's low but noticeable.

Butter left at room temperature will go bad. At some point. Use your nose and you can tell pretty easily if it's time to pitch it. Or better yet, slather it on everything and don't let it go bad. It takes a while depending on how warm the room is, whether it's being hit by sunlight or not, whether it's salted, etc.

Don't clean your pots and pans with harsh cleansers. Soap and water should do fine unless you routinely make crazy poo poo and don't clean up afterwards. Even then, use some universal solvent (hot water) and then scrub off the gunk. If you're using nonstick cookware you don't need to use anything but dish soap. If you have stainless, sometimes it's fun to cleanse it with a mild abrasive like a baking soda paste. It's even more fun to then pour vinegar in there and let it bubble up and be a big messy volcano in your sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Salted butter will last much longer at room temperature than unsalted. Just something to be aware of when leaving butter on counters.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Get a butterbell. Best invention.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

casual poster posted:

I'm actually just trying to see how far I can push my crock pot, not to good at cooking in general though. So, when making a pot roast, do I just throw a 3lb slab of meat in the pot, or cut it somehow?

You can just put it in whole. If it is really big, you might want to cut it up so it fits better. Don't worry, when this is done it will break into chunks easily.

efb

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
The nonstick pan isn't bubbled up at all its just got a dark splatter in it, for some reason to my roommate that means its broken and I have to buy him a new one. Is there a way to get that stuff off of it? I want to avoid paying the expert cookware inspector for something that isn't broken at all.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Mach420 posted:

Like, what kind of rice pudding? Western style dessert-like stuff or an Asian style rice porridge?

Western desserty stuff

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Azuth0667 posted:

The nonstick pan isn't bubbled up at all its just got a dark splatter in it, for some reason to my roommate that means its broken and I have to buy him a new one. Is there a way to get that stuff off of it? I want to avoid paying the expert cookware inspector for something that isn't broken at all.

If it's greasy burned on stuff, I really like Krud Kutter spray. They carry it at Lowes. I used it to clean out my smoker once - just sprayed the whole surface and all the oily, caked-on crap just ran down the sides and out the bottom. It was amazing. Might want to pick up a plastic bristle brush to scrub it as well.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Why not keep butter in the fridge? I didn't realize people keep it out, why?!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

spreading hard butter on bread or toast sucks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just keep my butter in the butter dish. It's usually 4-6 days to go through a stick, and it keeps perfectly fine in the cabinet. And it's so easy to spread on toast!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've lost my grandmother's egg noodle recipe and searching around online for a replacement I found this:

quote:

Amish Egg Noodles Recipe
Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour (approximately)
1/2 teaspoon saltDirections:
Beat eggs until frothy.
Add flour and stir until of dough texture.
Knead until smooth.
Turn into floured cutting board.
Roll dough turning often until thin.
Let noodle dough dry 45 minutes, then turn and dry another 1/2 hour.
Cut into noodles.

Seem good? Anyone have a better one?

smiph
Jul 30, 2005

Jagshemas!

dino. posted:

:words:
I tried making red quinoa with sort of a bolognese sause with squash in it yesterday and it turned out really good.

Would recommend quinoa to others because the taste and texture was really nice. :D

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

I like turtles posted:

Requesting a rice pudding recipe. The last remaining guy from the warehouse that got outsourced is leaving October 31st and has been mentioning rice pudding recently.

It's pretty much like cooking with water, only you use milk and flavours.

Heavy steel or iron pot. 1 cup of pudding rice (perferably) or other short grain rice. Add the same amount of whole milk as you would water if boiling rice the usual way. ie about 2:1 ratio. You can add more milk later in the process if it starts drying out. Add a pinch of salt, a tbsp of butter and 1/4 cup raw sugar.

Turn up the heat to get it bubbling then reduce to a simmer. Cook until rice is done and liquid absorbed. I usually put a lid on and heat to minimum. Serve hot or chill to firm.

Vanilla / Cardamom / Lemon zest + coconut / Raisins + cinamon are good flavours.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So I'm planning on having a lady over for dinner who happens to be the F&B manager of a massive 5 star hotel. I'm a vegetarian and she's not, but I'll be cooking veggie stuff only. She's hot and I want to get in her pants. I need to impress.

I'm thinking endive, asparagus, hearts of palm salad with truffle oil and parmesan (if I can even find hearts of palm and truffle oil anywhere), a porcini risotto, fried polenta triangles. How am I doing so far? Dessert ideas? I can't bake worth poo poo (and I don't trust my oven).

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

angor posted:

So I'm planning on having a lady over for dinner who happens to be the F&B manager of a massive 5 star hotel. I'm a vegetarian and she's not, but I'll be cooking veggie stuff only. She's hot and I want to get in her pants. I need to impress.

I'm thinking endive, asparagus, hearts of palm salad with truffle oil and parmesan (if I can even find hearts of palm and truffle oil anywhere), a porcini risotto, fried polenta triangles. How am I doing so far? Dessert ideas? I can't bake worth poo poo (and I don't trust my oven).

No truffle oil, for the love of God.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
If she's around gussied up stuff every day I'd do the opposite and go as rustic as hell.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Er, 5 star for Africa. She's not exactly surrounded by Michelin star chefs :). I do like the idea of going rustic though. Any suggestions?

pnmoman: Why the truffle oil hate?

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Truffle oil has a harsh metallic flavor and a gross aftertaste that can really easily overpower your food. (And it's not really made from truffles - its the "artificial fruit flavors" of fancy food.).

It's a trick. It sounds great, but it isn't. Someone like your date would likely not be impressed by it.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

angor posted:

pnmoman: Why the truffle oil hate?

Overpowering aroma that bears little resemblance to the real deal. If you smell it, and it is horrifyingly obvious, it's a sure sign someone's going for a misguided attempt at haute cuisine. No need for truffle oil, ever. Just splurge for the real deal (beware of slices/poo poo you can't smell before buying, Chinese fakes are everywhere) or forget about truffles.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

RazorBunny posted:

If it's greasy burned on stuff, I really like Krud Kutter spray. They carry it at Lowes. I used it to clean out my smoker once - just sprayed the whole surface and all the oily, caked-on crap just ran down the sides and out the bottom. It was amazing. Might want to pick up a plastic bristle brush to scrub it as well.
Shucks, before you go that route, just throw some water in the pan, heat to boiling and then turn off the stove. (Repeat: turn off the stove otherwise you really will ruin the pan.) An hour later, if the crud hasn't disintegrated or softened to the point of easy removal, then look at chemical alternatives.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I'd love it if someone posted some of their favorite kugel recipes, but not potato kugel, that poo poo sucks.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's nothing wrong with truffle oil used sparingly. Sure it's not really made from truffles but it contains the stronger flavor compounds found in them. Sure it's no replacement for the real thing, but for everyday cooking there's no reason to hate it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Whoa, you guys realise that there is truffle flavoured oil and actual truffle oil right? Am I just making this poo poo up in my head? I've had fresh black truffles, white truffles, good truffle oil and lovely truffle oil. I know the stuff you can buy for :10bux: a bottle is garbage, but real, high quality truffle oil does exist.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to a thermapen instant read thermometer (Amazon price - $100). I might be willing to go around $75, but that is my absolute ceiling. I don't use them often as I don't roast or grill a lot, but want to get into more frying/candy making, and also want something for the occasional big hunk of meat.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

CzarChasm posted:

I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to a thermapen instant read thermometer (Amazon price - $100). I might be willing to go around $75, but that is my absolute ceiling. I don't use them often as I don't roast or grill a lot, but want to get into more frying/candy making, and also want something for the occasional big hunk of meat.

If you don't mind waiting around occasionally thermapen will put certain colors on sale for close to $75. You might end up with a poop brown one but it will be a genuine thermapen!

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Alright, thanks for all the help last night with my pot roast. Felt like I owed it to you to let you know how it came out, because it came out beautifully.

The meat was great, not too dry. The onions and carrots could of used more flavor (not sure what happened there) but over all it was pretty drat good. Thanks for the help!

casual poster fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 25, 2011

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
^ ^ ^ Nice balls dude, sag and resize

CzarChasm posted:

I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to a thermapen instant read...

Yep there is a deal on turd coloured Thermapens right now for 79 bucks:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

Bonus picture:

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction
I'm starting to explore things like canning, liquor infusion and bread-making. I see them more as projects than actually cooking, if that makes sense. I like the from-scratch rustic-y quality. What else can I do along these lines? Preferably things that don't require a large financial investment (I'm on a college student budget)

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
You can make your own cheese and charcuterie. For drinks, you can make your own mead or hard cider with just a little equipment, bitters and extracts for cocktails... all kinds of things.

Plus, whatever you like now, you can probably nerd out over. Like coffee? Roast your own beans!

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

A small herb garden is always nice to have too. I do bread, charcuterie and cider, and I've got a garden. On the non food front of things, take courses like blacksmithing, glassblowing, ceramics - I get as much enjoyment making a hand axe as I do making a couple pounds of bacon. And the axe will last longer too.

I want to, one day, make my own BLT from scratch. Like, grow wheat, grind flour, grow tomatoes and lettuce, raise and butcher my own pig, cure bacon from said pig. I don't expect the final product to be extraordinarily out of this world or anything, but I think it would be really satisfying to have had that crazy amount of effort put into a simple sandwich. I may even prepare and serve with stuff I've made in glass, wood and metal.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

casual poster posted:

The meat was great, not too dry. The onions and carrots could of used more flavor (not sure what happened there)

salt

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
So I cooked half of my tofu. Things I learned: NONSTICK, NOT STAINLESS. Also, "oh no where did all my oil go?"

The texture is kinda odd. And inconsistent. In one bite it's like badly overcooked egg, in another it's pleasant to bite into. It also tastes a little odd, and not like what I cooked it in/seasoned it with at all. Overall verdict: lack of practical knowledge and possibly inferior product resulted in something to be eaten past quickly to get to the delicious vegetables and sweet potato rice concoction.

The other half is destined for the dry fry/marinate method.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
more oil, also make sure that the oil is hot before you add the tofu so that it will fry and set quickly. also make sure that your tofu is free of excess moisture before frying.

its not really a traditional shape but if you slice a brick of tofu long ways into like flat filets it is easy to get a good and consistent browning, then flip and do the same to the other side, like an eggplant or fish or something.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 26, 2011

yes
Aug 26, 2004

pile of brown posted:

also make sure that your tofu is free of excess moisture before frying.

Bone dry. It's really helpful to dredge the pieces in starch first.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I typically will press tofu for a few hours prior to frying. Uniformly slice your block up into strips 3/4 of an inch thick and toss them onto a paper towel on a cutting board or plate. Throw another towel on top and then put another cutting board/flat weighted surface on top. You can change or wring the towels out periodically. When you're ready to cook cube your strips then dredge in starch like yes said.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
You know how many people I'm getting involved in our local food movement? Not enough. If ya'll could sign up, it would be tremendous.

There is only one way to help the local rancher, and if Wolf Pack Meats gets shut down, there will be no local organic locavore meat industry left, which is terrifying.This is a mission CRITICAL meeting to get the monsters at UNR Administration to see the benefit to the greater Sierra Nevada Meat Markets. Wolf Pack Meats is cheap, local, and amazing in selection: you just have to ask.

http://www.greatbasinfood.coop/working-volunteers/petition-letter-of-support/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

casual poster posted:

The onions and carrots could of used more flavor (not sure what happened there) but over all it was pretty drat good. Thanks for the help!

I don't like carrots cooked with roast, it tends to leach the flavor out and sometimes they can even be bitter. I roast carrots separately, scrub, cut, drop them in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, toss and spread them on a baking sheet... then in a 400 degree oven for 30-45 minutes (depending on what size you cut them). Coarsely chopped onions, turnips and jalapenos all go well with them. Jalapenos probably won't be edible by the time it's done but the flavor will work through the oil onto the carrots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Can someone direct me to the real no-knead bread recipe? I used this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html which is evidently bullshit because I just got to the "take out and fold a couple times" step, and I had to laugh because the dough was literally a liquid and thus not amenable to folding. I tried to salvage it but gently caress knows. Help!

There's also an amazing "use just enough flour to keep dough from sticking" line. This poo poo is basically glue, I've never seen such a mess from bread dough.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm pretty sure some time ago someone posted an amazing recipe for browned butter sugar cookies rolled in turbinado sugar. It was either Kiteless, mediaphage, or Dane, but damned if I can remember which. Anyway, those cookies were loving amazing and I want to make them again. I'd appreciate a re-post of the recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

kiteless posted it.

http://nookandpantry.blogspot.com/2007/12/day-9-brown-sugar-cookie.html

They were okay in my opinion. Terribly sweet but interesting as far as sugarbombs go.