Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Coolio posted:

You can win that battle for epic ownage.

I thought we had a shot but it didn't happen unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Darth Windu posted:

It IS possible to (sort of) get the ducks into your tribe - if you succeed in convincing the other clans of their merit (I have an amazing poet), then they will let the ducks enter into a special alliance with your tribe. It isn't full membership, but it's something, at least. GO DUCKS

What the...is this possible in the PC version? drat, the things I learn even years after about this game.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
It is possible in the PC version, yes. It's difficult though.
Best,
Zack.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Kekekela posted:

I thought we had a shot but it didn't happen unfortunately.

If the endgame hasn't started yet, you can renounce the throne, or just fight until your honor is satisfied or something. And then eventually work your way back into the king position.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo how did I not see this before?

KODP is super awesome and it will become my new timekiller game, replacing Bejeweled 2. I love that game.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Flame112 posted:

If the endgame hasn't started yet, you can renounce the throne, or just fight until your honor is satisfied or something. And then eventually work your way back into the king position.

Yeah, I had this option but I felt my honor would only be satisfied by killing those turds then and there.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Jussst started playing this, any good tips? went through the first tutorial year and it seems like you just have to run around all the menus making sure you have poo poo set properly and then react to the events that come up?

Seems like something that takes awhile to "get", but is there stuff I should keep in mind at all times?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Remember to play it like you're the leader of an iron aged tribe in mystical Scandinavia. Going through with the judgement of a 21st century person will result in the gods pushing your poo poo in. Other than that the rest is more fun to learn by trial and error, in my experience, but if you've got any specific questions along the way I and a bunch of people in the thread can answer them.

Edit: a couple other basic things; fire season is the best season to raid, and storm is good too. Don't raid during the other ones or your harvest will suck. Make sure to explore your own area along with the area around you; you'll find a lot of interesting things.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Actually one question is how do I know if I have enough food. Is that just something I will kind of figure out as I play? I know it gives the amount of food you have but I"m unsure as to how useful that is...like will I be able to tell how much my harvest should give me in a year and things like that

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It's hard to gage accurately because there is some variability in how the harvest goes. In general if after the harvest you have more food than people (+200 or so for spoilage) you're ok.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Your advisors will generally tell you, either on the Farming screen or in alerts when you're critically low. On that screen you can also see how much your harvest should be, though that number will vary depending on weather and other factors.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Levitate posted:

Actually one question is how do I know if I have enough food. Is that just something I will kind of figure out as I play? I know it gives the amount of food you have but I"m unsure as to how useful that is...like will I be able to tell how much my harvest should give me in a year and things like that

You never have enough food, you always want more food. Again: bronze-age peasants.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Man I totally feel like I"m just fumbling around. trying to send out people to explore, send emmissaries to neighbors to propose alliances, start trade routes, raid people in the fire season and strengthen my own defenses, annnd build temples and poo poo...I can't tell if I"m trying to do too much or too little

and my people are still unhappy :mad:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
How do you muster up the ability to do a Heroquest? I'd like to try to pull off one to improve my clan mood, because they're so pissy all of the time.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Levitate posted:

Man I totally feel like I"m just fumbling around. trying to send out people to explore, send emmissaries to neighbors to propose alliances, start trade routes, raid people in the fire season and strengthen my own defenses, annnd build temples and poo poo...I can't tell if I"m trying to do too much or too little

and my people are still unhappy :mad:

Maybe it's just how I play but morale is generally pretty consistently low in the early game. The weaponthanes you can keep more or less happy if you try, all they want to do is fight and win, but the carls want security and stability you just don't have the power to provide early on. Best you can do is keep the food coming, do what you can to keep people healthy (Chalana Arroy temple-building should really be a priority), and try not to drag them into too many fights to keep them at a low but manageable level. poo poo gets real bad feasting and gifts can help a little (part of the reason you want as big a food surplus as you can get early on), questing is pretty dicey at that level but if you've got nothing to lose I guess...

It's not you, the whole game's about getting pulled in a hundred different directions at once and figuring out what to prioritize, it's all critical but you can't have it all.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 24, 2011

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Some stuff you should really do early on is build a temple to Chalana Arroy (make sure you devote it to the ritual that cures sick people, not the one that heals the wounded. Curing the sick is way more useful.) Other very useful/necessary rituals are Vigor from Barntar (allows your farmers to do more), Literacy from Lankhor Mhy (I think it improves success chances for dealing with other clans?) Silvertongue from Issaries (helps for any negotiation). Calf Blessing from Uralda is also very useful (increases fertility of your cows).

What others have said about the harvest is pretty true as far as I can tell. Basically, after the harvest, you should have at least as much food as people. If you have more, great, you'll probably be fine unless there's some catastrophic event. If you have less, you're gonna want to trade for food or increase the number of hunters.

If you have a ton of food, you can trade it for good stuff, or feast and make your clan / your neighbors happier with you.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
When/how much do you start doing heroquests? This is the main area where I feel like i'm totally winging it (other than the one to unite the tribes which is kind of obvious as far as timing goes)

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Kekekela posted:

When/how much do you start doing heroquests? This is the main area where I feel like i'm totally winging it (other than the one to unite the tribes which is kind of obvious as far as timing goes)

When? Depends which one, what you need. There's no specific time to do them, beyond that IIRC some like the Orlanth one work best in their god's favored season. Some of 'em, especially the Issaries one, are pretty risk-free so long as you understand the lore and can be spammed for bennies all day... which is nice because a couple of its bonuses feed into other heroquests. Some of them (the Uralda one) will gently caress you dirty. Use the highest skilled noble that isn't indispensable for your immediate future.

How much? No more than once every other year, either when you need it or when you're feeling relatively secure. Each god has a pretty straightforward domain for you to pump up, and all successful quests sort of generally improve everything for you tribe for a little while. Failed ones are bad news

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I usually don't heroquest until the third year, and then I try to do it every other year. If you're going to quest that year, make sure to allocate clan magic to Quests during the beginning of the year Sacred Time. Otherwise you're just throwing the attempt (and probably the quester) away. If you check on your clan ring while in the Quest they'll advise you whether or not you should attempt a Hero Quest.

You can save scum the results if you want (either from the Saga screen or by closing the app when you get the results) but I find the game's more fun a lot of the time if you accept the consequences.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Oh yeah if you're trying them out for the first time take a look through the myth and look for anything mentioning wounds or family. These are the points where generally you can get hosed up even if you choose the right answer. High Combat skill helps you survive the first, don't remember what the skill is for the second - Custom? Leadership?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Well, managed to create a tribe and get elected king on my first play through. Short game though and on default difficulty. Always had shitloads of food and cattle and lots of weaponthanes, must have been doing something right. Now just need to do some more hero quests

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

When? Depends which one, what you need. There's no specific time to do them, beyond that IIRC some like the Orlanth one work best in their god's favored season. Some of 'em, especially the Issaries one, are pretty risk-free so long as you understand the lore and can be spammed for bennies all day... which is nice because a couple of its bonuses feed into other heroquests. Some of them (the Uralda one) will gently caress you dirty. Use the highest skilled noble that isn't indispensable for your immediate future.

How much? No more than once every other year, either when you need it or when you're feeling relatively secure. Each god has a pretty straightforward domain for you to pump up, and all successful quests sort of generally improve everything for you tribe for a little while. Failed ones are bad news

I guess I'm thinking more for victory conditions. I was playing a short game last time and thought I'd win once I became king but that didn't happen so I'm guessing its because I didn't do enough of these or something. Thanks for the reply, definitely helps me out.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Kekekela posted:

I guess I'm thinking more for victory conditions. I was playing a short game last time and thought I'd win once I became king but that didn't happen so I'm guessing its because I didn't do enough of these or something. Thanks for the reply, definitely helps me out.

For the short game, I think you win once you have been the tribal king for 10 years.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
For the first time ever I finally managed to form a tribe that was looking good, I had 2,000 cows and a huge pile of food and bribed everyone to let me be king, then in about four seasons the following happened.

A) My master diplomat disappeared while trying to set up a trade route
B) Half my tribe rage quit in a huff, forcing me to join another tribe
C) My master combatant and clan chief (who used to be the king!) died of an illness at age 30.

Thanks a bunch game. :(

What causes that tribe ragequit event by the way? Was it just the RNG or did I mishandle the chiefs complaining about my leadership.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Flame112 posted:

Some stuff you should really do early on is build a temple to Chalana Arroy (make sure you devote it to the ritual that cures sick people, not the one that heals the wounded. Curing the sick is way more useful.)

I beg to differ on this one. I've found healing the wounded to be indispensable when I play, and make getting a shrine up a top priority. DIfferent play styles I suppose, maybe I'm just a raid-happy bastard? Sickness is trivial in comparison.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

Kekekela posted:

Just to clarify, you need to become king, rule for ten years with a relatively prosperous and happy clan, and complete two hero quests to win the short game. One of those quests has to be the quest for your patron god--Orlanth and Aroka, Elmal guards the Stead, or Ernalda Feeds the Tribe. The prophet will hint at this when he gives you your ten-year ring.
Best,
Zack.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

zkline posted:

I beg to differ on this one. I've found healing the wounded to be indispensable when I play, and make getting a shrine up a top priority. DIfferent play styles I suppose, maybe I'm just a raid-happy bastard? Sickness is trivial in comparison.

You can switch between both depending on circumstance, you don't need one or the other on all the time just available.

You can go a really long time with like maybe one or two people sick and then bam half your tribe is down and you'll death spiral if you don't get them up and running in time for planting/harvest. Similarly, you can get no wounded and then a bad raiding season or a curse later you're all messed up.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

zkline posted:

Just to clarify, you need to become king, rule for ten years with a relatively prosperous and happy clan, and complete two hero quests to win the short game. One of those quests has to be the quest for your patron god--Orlanth and Aroka, Elmal guards the Stead, or Ernalda Feeds the Tribe. The prophet will hint at this when he gives you your ten-year ring.
Best,
Zack.

Ah thanks, I probably screwed myself trying and failing too many.

On a side note, quit signing your posts or you're gonna end up probated.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What causes that tribe ragequit event by the way? Was it just the RNG or did I mishandle the chiefs complaining about my leadership.

Have you been giving enormous gifts to your fellow tribe members? A great leader is a generous leader, after all.

Failing that, throw a lot of feasts and invite your neighbors.

Failing that, enjoy losing a lot I guess.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It's caused by having a low tribe mood. What causes that I don't know since there are like no tribe events and there's never any reason to assume there's anything wrong. The easiest way to bring it back up is to do the Orlanth tribe making quest and select improve tribe mood as your reward. In fact rather than hoping whatever it is that calculates tribe mood swings in your favor I think that's the only way to directly influence it.

You can monitor your tribe mood in the diplo screen I think it's buried there somewhere.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
drat, I'd checked it 4-5 seasons earlier and it was satisfied or something, so I must have muppeted something and tanked it.

Thanks for the tips - I was generally throwing a large feast with invite neighbours every year.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Usually you get some kind of warning that the tribe's mood is bad before they show up armed on your doorstep. When that happens you can go through the Chalana Arroy or the Storm Tribe heroquests to improve the tribe mood. I think maybe the Issaries heroquest has that option as well.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, I suck at this. I just got my clan to get pissy at my bad leadership and try to split off. like three times. Once they became a new group just to my friggin' right, once I tried to raid for land and failed, then the rich folk left and formed a gated community.

Stupid carls. I just want to have a big, powerful clan! Stop getting mad at one another!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
They do that when you get really big, your clan isn't really supposed to extend beyond a certain size. If you cheese it you can pass those events without anyone breaking off and just keep expanding slower and slower, but the events keep coming and you start taking morale penalties (and I heard somewhere defense? Not that that matters when you've got a skillion weaponthanes)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
What is "really big"? In most Civ-like games, I try to get the biggest world population and just overpower people with sheer brute strength. I am getting the feeling that will not work in KoDP.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I don't remember the exact figure, basically when you start getting the 'dudes want to break off' event a lot and nothing seems to put it off for very long.

And no it doesn't work like a 4X very much. You can never really eliminate an enemy, and you're never indisputably dominating the game. No advantage or asset lasts forever, so you've just gotta spend what you've got wisely. You can totally amass a huge army and economy and just powerfuck all your enemies in the late game but you've still got to exercise diplomacy and take risks and poo poo to achieve the victory requirements.

Doing a superpower playthrough is really dull, anyway. I got a goddamned huge clan going one game by stacking a couple Magnets of Mostal with a load of other leadership/combat artifacts, top-level ring members, constant heroquesting to fuel my gigantic war machine and prevent splitoffs, etc., and it sucked dick. Missed a key plot-progression event so it was just years on end of nothing but reading battle reports, where I inevitably slaughtered everybody, until I quit out of boredom. Game just isn't built around you not struggling to get by.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the point of the game isn't to overpower and subjugate the other clans, it's to form a tribe and become king.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Oh yeah also remembered the reason I missed the plot event was that the game randomly rolled that my king, who'd survived basically every significant adventure of the game and even regularly heroquested just to show what huge shiny brass ones he had, and commanded the biggest most unstoppable army ever, got hacked to death doing nothing flashy in a low-intensity raid against a weak rival clan. He got better, but by then a new king had been elected and the tribe charter already determined that guy's successor and it was just too late. Power, wealth, and size can make you a little more resilient to clan-wide disasters, but that's about all it does.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 25, 2011

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
It starts saying you're too big when you get over 1000, or maybe it's 1200. 800-1000 people is the proper size for a clan. Any more than that and the bonds between all of the families start to weaken because there are so many, I suppose, and besides, I get the feeling the Orlanthi don't really naturally like being in a big group like that - that's why there's opposition to the idea of forming a tribe in the first place, and of forming a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet
Yeah, the Sartar book gives the canonical size for a clan somewhere, if I recall, and it ranged from hundreds up to about a thousand people. It's a great source of background on the Orlanthi and Dragon Pass, and I'm now interested in running a Hero Quest game largely thanks to KoDP.

• Locked thread