Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've dealt with CBCS before. I got something that looked like it was typed in NotePad as "proof". After my DV letter I just ignored their obvious attempts to get (illegitimate) money from me and it went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effexxor
May 26, 2008

martyrdumb posted:

What a great thread! I have an... interesting predicament of my own, now. I have an initial credit history not dissimilar from the OP's. I ended up filing bankruptcy, though. It was mentally more beneficial for me to turn that mess into a clean slate--and I hate fighting with strangers, and checking the voice mails was really stressing me out.

Since then, my credit has been improving steadily. All of my non-student-loan debt went away in the BK... I consolidated ALL of my student loans, and have been making payments on them for several months. I'm totally in the black and after a couple years of living on cash, I'm getting legitimate credit card offers in the mail now :)

But, the bad news from left field: I have a debt collector now, who is trying to collect on a $700 student loan. I had originally defaulted on that loan (just that one, it was a Perkins, none of the other loans through Sallie Mae defaulted). But I consolidated it! I don't actually owe this debt. I'm repaying it, right now, along with the rest of my loans! I made super-sure to include the defaulted loan in my consolidation. I didn't rehab it since I didn't want to wait 6 months to consolidate (my other loans would have defaulted, too, if I had tried to rehab the Perkins).

I've already given the guy a verbal C&D on phone calls to my home or work numbers. And I explained the situation--I do not owe this freaking debt! I included it in my consolidation, and he needs to gently caress off! So, where the hell do I go from here? Can I just contact the credit bureaus and have them take it off as a fraudulent claim?--I know TransUnion is reporting it, I haven't checked the others since my free reports for them are not available yet this year. Is there anything stopping him from just putting it back on there? Can I send him a letter with documentation showing that the loan was paid in full by the federal consolidation dudes, and that I'm current on my consolidation payments? Will he pay any attention to that, or just try to keep scumming money out of me?

The collection agency is the General Revenue Corporation, if that is relevant.

I'd suggest getting a paid in full by consolidation letter from whoever from that Perkins loan, or contact Department of Ed's Direct Loans Consolidation department (1.800.557.7392) to request proof of what loans were consolidated.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
This thread has taught me quite a bit. I was able to come up with a lump sum which is equal to 50% of the debt I have in collections.

I have three accounts in collections and I think that offering up to 50% for a pay-for-delete should get these taken care of.

The verbiage used in collections letters is scary as hell... e.g. "We have tried to contact you for voluntary payment but you had your chance so we are seeking repayment by involuntary measures. We may contact a lawyer in your state to get litigious on your rear end. You have 30 days to respond." Spooky poo poo. I think if I waive a lump sum cash payment under their nose that I might be able to correct this.

I will keep this thread apprised of my actions for the benefit of others. Examples ca be useful.

Thanks again, everyone!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Woodsy Owl posted:

This thread has taught me quite a bit. I was able to come up with a lump sum which is equal to 50% of the debt I have in collections.

I have three accounts in collections and I think that offering up to 50% for a pay-for-delete should get these taken care of.

The verbiage used in collections letters is scary as hell... e.g. "We have tried to contact you for voluntary payment but you had your chance so we are seeking repayment by involuntary measures. We may contact a lawyer in your state to get litigious on your rear end. You have 30 days to respond." Spooky poo poo. I think if I waive a lump sum cash payment under their nose that I might be able to correct this.

I will keep this thread apprised of my actions for the benefit of others. Examples ca be useful.

Thanks again, everyone!

I got one of those "you have 30 days to respond before we consider legal action" letters. They're not allowed to threaten legal action unless they intend to follow through on it. I forwarded that letter on to my state's attorney general and the FTC and they have stopped trying to collect on it. So that's something you might consider instead.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I have a question that will hopefully not be too difficult. The answer may be in this thread but I wasn't able to find it. I have an account in collections. It's about $150, and is completely my fault because I forgot to pay off a bill while moving and it got lost in the shuffle. I don't want to dispute it or anything, just pay it in such a way as to get it off my credit card.

So far I have seen that I should contact them and request a pay for delete, and that it should be done in writing. Could I get a little more information? Do I call them first, state what I want, then send the letter? Do all the communication by mail? Does anyone have a form letter template for requesting a PFD I could use?

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Giant Isopod posted:

I have a question that will hopefully not be too difficult. The answer may be in this thread but I wasn't able to find it. I have an account in collections. It's about $150, and is completely my fault because I forgot to pay off a bill while moving and it got lost in the shuffle. I don't want to dispute it or anything, just pay it in such a way as to get it off my credit card.

So far I have seen that I should contact them and request a pay for delete, and that it should be done in writing. Could I get a little more information? Do I call them first, state what I want, then send the letter? Do all the communication by mail? Does anyone have a form letter template for requesting a PFD I could use?

Give them a call and negotiate the terms of the pay-for-delete. Request that they send you a contracting letter stating those terms. Tell them that any further correspondence is to be done by mail. Then when you receive their contract then you can send your money order or cashier's check by certified mail.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Giant Isopod posted:

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for!

You know what, I'm in the same position as you. I am setting up some pay-for-deletes and I'm thinking that it would be beneficial to send them a formal contract with some of the following ideas: the debt shall be considered completely settled after receipt of payment, and no balance will remain on the debt so that the remaining balance is not sold, and that the debt shall not be subject to judicial review after payment. This ensures that they don't just take the payment from you and sell the contract to someone else to collect even more, and that in the future they aren't to take you to court if they change their mind.

I need help with the verbiage though.

edit: I found exactly what it is I wanted, through Google image search: http://www.creditmagic.org/forums/attachments/i6_115.jpg

I'm absolutely going to do this.

edit: Upon further research I have learned that it is absolutely imperative that you send a written agreement outlining all the terms of the pay-for-delete. This statement will be formulated by you, sent to the collection agency and signed by an authorized agent.

code:
Collection Agency
666 Evil Street
Hades, Hell 00000

Re: Collection Account for Original Creditor
Account #: 00000xxxx
Amount: $25.00

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to inform you that the validity of this debt is disputed. I am not sure of the account number, as I have never heard from you regarding this account. The account number I have is the one listed on my Experian credit report – which omits the last few digits.

In the spirit of compromise, I am willing to pay this account IN FULL (or settlement percentage) if you agree to immediate deletion of this account from any and all credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion). The purpose of this settlement is merely to have this item removed from my credit files. It is not to be construed as an acknowledgment of liability for this debt in any form.

If you agree to the terms and accept this agreement, certified funds for the settlement amount of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) will be sent to Collection Agency in exchange for full deletion of ALL references regarding this account from my credit files and full satisfaction of the debt. As certified funds will be used for payment, there shall be no waiting period regarding the deletion of this account from the credit reporting agencies.

Collection Agency agrees to delete ALL information regarding this account from the credit reporting agencies WITHIN TEN CALENDAR (10) DAYS following receipt of payment as specified above and will not discuss the terms of this settlement with anyone, excluding your client on this account. If contacted by any third party, including credit-reporting agencies, Collection Agency will not acknowledge that any settlement offer was made, accepted or executed and will, in fact, deny knowledge of any such account.

If you agree to the above terms, please prepare a letter on your company letterhead explicity agreeing to the same terms as the above settlement offer and have it signed by an authorized representative of Collection Agency. It will be implied that this letter shall constitute a legally binding contract, enforceable under the laws of my state.

Your response must be postmarked no later than 15 days from your receipt of this settlement offer or this offer will be withdrawn and I will request full validation of this alleged debt, as provided for by the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

Please address all correspondence regarding this account to:

Mr. INeedCreditHelp
123 Any Street
City, State ZipCode

Woodsy Owl fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 1, 2011

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Crosspost from legal questions megathread:

I'm being sued in Nevada over a college credit card that I was an idiot with.

I was served on July 8th of 2009, and filed my answer to avoid default judgement. Never heard anything back till yesterday, when I got a motion for summary judgement in the mail. From what I gather, this is bad, and is one of the final steps before they can garnish wages, seize accounts, etc. The motion will be heard in about a month, and I'm trying to figure out what my next move will be. Obviously show up to the hearing, but I don't dispute the debt is mine, so am I just hosed or what?

Can I negotiate a payment plan with these people? How do I do that, legally speaking? I'm sure it couldn't be as simple as a phone call, do I send a certified letter? What would I want that letter to say, specifically?

I really just want this to go away.

edit- In reading this thing, it says my last account activity was 10-16-2008. According to this the statute of limitations is only 4 years in my state. Is this a final attempt to boogyman some money out of me before it passes the SoL? Please advise.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 3, 2011

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

DrPain posted:

I'm sure it couldn't be as simple as a phone call, do I send a certified letter? What would I want that letter to say, specifically?

You'd be surprised what you can do over a phone call. You need to see how much they want, exactly, and negotiate from there. If they refuse to negotiate then you should probably lawyer up.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

So update on the dunning letter for a debt that wasn't mine that I got awhile back: it is now completely gone from my credit record and the company has not tried to contact me again. Yay! Thanks thread!

I have another question now, this time for a friend. He recently moved to Oregon from Massachusetts. He owed 600 dollars to Verizon and they sold the debt at some point. Since moving to Oregon, a former roommate of his claims to have received a letter from MA claiming that a judgment had been rendered in court against my buddy. This is the first time he's ever received any kind of contact about the debt. He hasn't lived in that house in over three years, and he did have a forwarding address set up (though they also spelled the street name wrong) but has never received anything else from anyone, or so much as a summons to court.

More recently, these guys also sent a letter to the friend that cosigned on the Verizon account with him. She transcribed it:

quote:

Kream an Kream
Attorneys at Law
P.O. Box 890117
East Weymouth, MA 02189

Re: Vion Holdings LLC
Vs: [assbutts redacted]
[arsebuttes redacted]
File #: [assbutt redacted]
Balance: $1,661.87

Dear [assbutts redacted]:

We hold a Judgment against you in behalf of the above-named creditor. Unless we receive this amount within 48 hours or immediate arrangements are made with this office for payments, we have been instructed to proceed at once against you on the execution without further notice.

May I suggest that you contact this office upon your receipt of this letter.

Very truly yours,

Richard H. Kream
Kream and Kream

After a little digging I found some blog posts indicating these guys have been sued before for using deceptive language in their collection letters. So what is the deal here? What should my buddy do? I told him that he and the girl might wanna send a DV for all the good it'll do but this seems skeezy either way.

edit: fixed some details

Reene fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 5, 2011

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
I have 4 accounts in collections. Today I called all my creditors and found out where the accounts are currently located. I want to pay them all but most are listed as charge offs. If I pay them will this change those terms so I can have actually manageable credit? My credit score is really low and even though I owe less than 3 grand across the board, I can't get a loan or anything and it's gotten to the point where I can pay for this stuff. Most of the accounts are with the original creditors and they will not agree to a PFD or even negotiate terms at all, I've tried. Not sure what to do at this point.

BusinessWallet fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 9, 2011

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

BusinessWallet posted:

I have 4 accounts in collections. Today I called all my creditors and found out where the accounts are currently located. I want to pay them all but most are listed as charge offs. If I pay them will this change those terms so I can have actually manageable credit? My credit score is really low and even though I owe less than 3 grand across the board, I can't get a loan or anything and it's gotten to the point where I can pay for this stuff. Most of the accounts are with the original creditors and they will not agree to a PFD or even negotiate terms at all, I've tried. Not sure what to do at this point.

Original creditors are not going to do a pay for delete. If you have any debts that are with a collections company, you can send them a letter requesting a PFD and see if they respond.

Ultras Lazio
May 22, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sorry to join late but it would be great if someone could point me to a similar thread but related to English law?

Yes, I owe and I'm proud! Er.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Has anyone had any luck getting Capital One to remove a charge off? They're the only one on my credit report.

slide
Jun 23, 2003

lol pandas lolz
Hi Guys,

When I was in my younger days I had lost a job and racked up a bunch of debt that was sent to collections, well I basically swore off credit for the past 10ish years and now that Im older and starting to need credit I want to rebuild that back up. I've pulled a report from Transunion and found the only delinquents on my account were originally posted from before 7 years ago, one even from 2001 that they are still updating. In this case, would I still need to send debt validation letters and etc? Is there a letter I can send to remove via the Statutes of limitations rather than going through the debt validation process?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Well, it's a reporting violation. If you were so inclined, you could send them a DV letter stating that this alleged debt is outside the SOL and if they don't correct it within 30 days (send your letter certified with return receipt so someone has to sign for it and you have proof of when they received it), that you intend to exercise your right to take them to small claims court and sue them for $1,000.

If you don't want to be a hardass from the start, you can just send them a DV letter (CMRR) stating that the alleged debt is outside the SOL and they are obligated to stop reporting it to all three agencies. Do a little googling for "debt validation letter" and you'll find something that even includes the reference to the SOL for your state.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I was served on Thursday 11/10 regarding a collection for an account that has not been paid on beyond the statute of limitations in Maryland, which is three years. There was no payment made during or after the September to October period of 2008. I am going to Answer with the defense that the debt is beyond the time granted by the SOL, but where do I go from there once in court? Or better yet, is there anything I can do to avoid going? I'd rather not miss out on a day of work this close to the holidays.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 14, 2011

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I recently received a notice of default/failure to pay from a collections agency. It's for a medical debt that I had been making regular payments on, but 8 months ago I moved and with my last payment I informed them of the change in address. I didn't receive any other bills, no "we're going to send you to collections" type warnings, no correspondence from the the doctor's office at all, until I received this notice from the collection agency.

I'm a bit angry and feel like fighting this somewhat but I don't know if I have a leg to stand on. I don't dispute that it's a valid debt, but I can't pay on an account when they don't continue to send bills to me.

Do I have any room to fight this or should I just suck it up and settle for a lesser payment? I'm in Nebraska but the debt occurred in Iowa, if it makes any difference.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
In general, if you have actual knowledge of the debt you have the obligation to pay it. They don't have to send you billing statements, and them not doing so doesn't relieve you of the obligation to pay.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

BusinessWallet posted:

Has anyone had any luck getting Capital One to remove a charge off? They're the only one on my credit report.
Anyone? :(

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Ok originally I was mistaken. I have two rather small debts that are still being reported to the credit agencies. I think they've written it off, I'm not sure. Should I be sending them letters and disputing this on my report?

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 17, 2011

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

BusinessWallet posted:

Anyone? :(

Capital One has a reputation for toeing the hardest line on that sort of thing, so I wouldn't count on it. OCs tend to not do pay-for-deletes. If it's >7 yrs then they have to stop reporting it, if it's been longer than that you can send them a friendly letter reminding them.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
True story, Capital One and Sears were the only credit cards that would consistantly show up for the meeting of creditors during a BK.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
I owe them 965 dollars. I need to get a car loan soon and I just want to pay it off and deal with it. The DOFD was in 2009 so it's not falling off any time soon, but I'd like to do what I can to establish credit and fix things. Should I just call them and pay them over the phone then? They said they'd take $775 as a settlement but would be indicated as so on my credit report. I'm thinking I'll just pay the full balance though.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

BusinessWallet posted:

I owe them 965 dollars. I need to get a car loan soon and I just want to pay it off and deal with it. The DOFD was in 2009 so it's not falling off any time soon, but I'd like to do what I can to establish credit and fix things. Should I just call them and pay them over the phone then? They said they'd take $775 as a settlement but would be indicated as so on my credit report. I'm thinking I'll just pay the full balance though.

It's going to be indicated on the credit report either way. Paying more then 50% for a charged-off debt is usually a mistake.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
I guess I worded that poorly. They said that if I settle for 775 or whatever, it will appear as "Settled charge off" on my credit report, if I pay the full balance of 965, it will read "Paid charge off". I know both tradelines are pretty lovely but does it make a difference?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

BusinessWallet posted:

I guess I worded that poorly. They said that if I settle for 775 or whatever, it will appear as "Settled charge off" on my credit report, if I pay the full balance of 965, it will read "Paid charge off". I know both tradelines are pretty lovely but does it make a difference?

None

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
I wish I'd found this thread a long time ago. One of my college accounts was sent to collections and like an idiot I just paid it. Is there a way I can get the "settled in full" removed from my credit report or is it honestly there for the next 7 years?

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

hey thread, looking for some quick advice

I just got a letter from a collection agency alleging I owe $1500 for two months rent. This debt is total bullshit, the landlord was in a dispute with his wife when I was renting there and wasn't even legally allowed on the property. He declined to perform any maintenance or repairs when I was there so I left, having already paid my last months rent. I left owing him nothing, and hadn't heard back from him since.

I left in March of this year and now like 8-9 months later he's claiming I owe money. It's Sunday today so I called the number on the letter and left a message saying I didn't believe this debt was valid and requested that they send me proof, then I hunted down the rear end in a top hat landlord's number. The conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey, you say I owe you rent? I was paid in full and my bank records will reflect that, so what proof do you have that I owe you this money? This is pretty much harassment
Him: Oh well I think you owe me some money...
Me: From when? Like I said I have records and proof of rent payment for the time I was there
Him: *click*

I called back 3 or 4 times immediately after and he's just avoiding me. What do I do now?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Send the collections company a debt verification letter. There are plenty of templates around the web. If you don't respond within 30 days of receiving that initial letter you can lose a bunch of your rights, so make sure to send the verification letter certified mail with a return receipt. They may not have a leg to stand on, but unfortunately it's on your head to show that and get it off your credit report. These companies rely on people not knowing what to do or what their rights are (as does your former landlord, it seems).

Don't bother contacting the collections company by phone, if it isn't in writing it didn't happen. If you have all your documentation you can probably take your landlord to small claims court, might want to check out the legal questions thread here.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I am not a lawyer, nor do I intend to practice law or advise anyone on the law. You are responsible for researching any actions you take (or don't take) and reading applicable statutes regarding debt collection and consumer remedies.

Don't even bother with the pissant landlord. Unless he tries to collect from you (or sue you for the alleged debt), he isn't a problem. Don't contact him.

Immediately send a DV letter to the collection agency CMRR stating that you dispute the validity of the debt and they have 30 days to either provide you with documentation proving you own the debt, or remove it from your credit report. If they remove it, fine, you're done. If they don't prove it and continue to report, you can collect all of your documentation showing that you were paid up on your rent, any rental documents, etc, and you take it to small claims and sue them for a reporting violation.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005

LorneReams posted:

None

So I'm good just paying the settlement that they offer then? It doesn't really make a difference to me, I just want the best outcome and whatever option allows me to repair my credit the easiest.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll make time tomorrow or tuesday to send that letter. Thinking about it, realistically the only "proof" I would have is bank statements showing the cheques being cashed for the months I was there, I don't know if I can find my rent receipts.

e: but I'm sure he wouldn't have proof for really any debt at all so I'm sure he was hoping I wouldn't call his bluff. Is this harassment if they cannot prove the debt? Can I sue him for filing on my credit report maliciously?

Robawesome fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 21, 2011

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

BusinessWallet posted:

So I'm good just paying the settlement that they offer then? It doesn't really make a difference to me, I just want the best outcome and whatever option allows me to repair my credit the easiest.

It depends on how fast you need it fixed. For example, if you don't mind loving around, you can send them a verification request asking them to prove that you debt is yours, then a couple weeks later, send the CRAs a dispute saying you disputed with the OC/CA and they haven't responded so you want it removed. You can get lucky, or someone will gently caress up a timeline and you could "technicality" them to death.

Or you can negotiate with them and pay 50% or less...settled is better then an open debt, as that's usually an immediate rejection almost anywhere until it's fixed.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Can I do all that since they're the OC?

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores
My husband sent off a PFD letter, and in response we got a letter that says that they can't do a PFD according to the FCRA. They say that they will only update that the account is paid in full if we pay the full amount. Is there anything else we can do at this point? The collection agency is ccsnotice.com, if it makes a difference.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

tishthedish posted:

My husband sent off a PFD letter, and in response we got a letter that says that they can't do a PFD according to the FCRA. They say that they will only update that the account is paid in full if we pay the full amount. Is there anything else we can do at this point? The collection agency is ccsnotice.com, if it makes a difference.

edit: nevermind, it's not reportable.

ohnobugs fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 22, 2011

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

AuntBuck posted:

That is completely untrue and there are several things you can do. First of all, I would send a copy of that letter to your state's attorney general as well as the FTC. The FTC probably won't do anything but keep your complaint on file. Your state's attorney general may be more proactive, in my state (New Mexico) they don't like collections companies that actively try to mislead people. Check around online for a complaint form you can fill out or mail in.

Here's a link for the FTC: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

You could also send the collections agency a nicely worded letter letting them know that they're full of poo poo. The ball is really in your court here, don't let them pressure you into doing anything.

Everything the CA said is accurate...they are bound by law to accuratly report on a debt to the CRA.

VVV That's how you do it, you make an agreement with the CA that if you pay, they will not verify (in effect ignoring the verification from the CRA). It then drops off. This is all grey area though and is technically against the agreement the CA has with the CRAs.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The way to approach a PFD may be to disavow the debt as yours and then say you'll settle it for the collector if they remove it, not sure.