Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm wondering what they would refresh. If it was a redesign we'd probably hear more chatter about it. It's hard to think of anything except maybe higher res screens standard or SSD standard.

also, oops, don't know if refresh speculation is frowned upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Faster processors. It's just going to be a small bump, no redesign or anything major.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Mu Zeta posted:

Faster processors. It's just going to be a small bump, no redesign or anything major.

Pretty much this. Nothing big is going to happen until Ivy Bridge at the earliest.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
edit: Wrong thread

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 24, 2011

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
My wife and I are looking to get an 11" MBA and I read the op and have a question.

This on on amazon is $939.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC968LL-11-6-Inch-VERSION/dp/B005CWIN1E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319459748&sr=8-2

I didn't see any July '11 models on the Apple refurbished store. Should I shop around a bit more? How come it is $60 than Apple direc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

Basically this, along with minor graphics card and HD size bumps.

13-inch MacBook Pro:

- Processor options move from 2.3 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and 2.7 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 to 2.4 GHz and 2.8 GHz options.

- Hard drive options offer increased capacity, moving from 320 GB in the low-end configuration and 500 GB in the high-end configuration to 500 GB and 750 GB respectively.

15-inch MacBook Pro:

- Standard processor options move from 2.0 GHz and 2.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 to 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz options. The high-end custom processor option at 2.3 GHz has now become a 2.5 GHz option.

- For discrete graphics, Apple had previously offered the AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB of memory on the low-end configuration and the Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB of memory on the high-end configuration. Apple has now moved the 6750M to the low-end configuration with 512 MB of memory and given the high-end configuration a Radeon HD 6770M with 1 GB of memory.

- The previous build-to-order option of a 500 GB hard drive running at 7200 rpm has been bumped to a 750 GB drive at the same speed.

17-inch MacBook Pro:

- Processor speeds have been bumped from a base 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with a 2.3 GHz upgrade option to a 2.4 GHz base processor with a 2.5 GHz option.

- Graphics have been improved from the AMD Radeon 6750M with 1 GB of memory to the Radeon HD 6770M, also with 1 GB of memory.

- The previous build-to-order option of a 500 GB hard drive running at 7200 rpm has been bumped to a 750 GB drive at the same speed.
- Summary from Macrumors.com

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dexter6 posted:

My wife and I are looking to get an 11" MBA and I read the op and have a question.

This on on amazon is $939.99:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook-MC968LL-11-6-Inch-VERSION/dp/B005CWIN1E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319459748&sr=8-2

I didn't see any July '11 models on the Apple refurbished store. Should I shop around a bit more? How come it is $60 than Apple direc

Best Buy has them for the same price as Amazon (but you'll have to pay tax), almost all their Apple computers are a little bit under Apple retail pricing as well.

MacMall has them under retail, but not as low as Amazon or BB. $949 vs $939

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ooh, I like the refurb prices for the 15" MBP with i7 processors. You can get one from Feb 2011 for $1300.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Mu Zeta posted:

Ooh, I like the refurb prices for the 15" MBP with i7 processors. You can get one from Feb 2011 for $1300.

No poo poo!? God drat I hate being poor right now, but that's cheap enough I could sell my 2010 15" i7 w/ High Res and big rear end SSD + HDD caddy for almost if not around a completely equal trade....

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

That is infinitely more reasonable than the pricing on brand-new 15"s, goddamn.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
How long does it usually take Amazon to get the updated products?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Mu Zeta posted:

Godfuckingdamnit. I bought my 15" i7 like 2 months ago for $2300 :(

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mu Zeta posted:

drat, that's better than buying it new with employee discount from back then.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't suppose there's any way to change the MAC address on an Airport Express is there?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Anyone have an educated guess on when we might see a 15 inch MB Air?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bobx66 posted:

Anyone have an educated guess on when we might see a 15 inch MB Air?
There's no such thing as an "educated" guess with regard to that supposed product.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Manky posted:

I don't suppose there's any way to change the MAC address on an Airport Express is there?

Why would you need to?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Manky posted:

Nope. :(

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's no such thing as an "educated" guess with regard to that supposed product.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to backtrack the release date of the air line, estimate the release cycle, compare that to their schedule of major events where they have announced products in the past and say...

Given X, X, and X, I would guess that it is likely that the product would be announced at X convention in time for X shopping season.

No rumors regarding the screen manufacturing? Nothing?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

Seems like it would be pretty easy to backtrack the release date of the air line, estimate the release cycle, compare that to their schedule of major events where they have announced products in the past and say...

Given X, X, and X, I would guess that it is likely that the product would be announced at X convention in time for X shopping season.

If you want to speculate go to https://www.macrumors.com

There's really no point in guessing at what Apple is going to make or not make because you just end up with blue balls.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Bobx66 posted:

You're asking about a product that could very well never exist, not something that is guaranteed to even be announced within a year. This isn't like speculating over an iPad 3 release or ATV upgrade. This is speculating on whether Apple will actually release a product or not.

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007
Is it likely that the iMac will get a spec bump?

Whats the maximum RAM a 27" iMac will take? Apple site suggests 16GB, but is that just limited by the stick size?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Sang- posted:

No one knows. That said, the MBP was previously updated in February, so a spec bump 8 months later isn't unexpected. The iMac, however, was updated in May, so I'd be surprised to see anything before early Spring, at which point Ivy Bridge will be on the horizon. In other words I wouldn't hold my breath.

quote:

Whats the maximum RAM a 27" iMac will take? Apple site suggests 16GB, but is that just limited by the stick size?

If you need more than 16GB, shouldn't you be looking at Mac Pros instead? :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sang- posted:

32gb for the 2011 in an 4x8gb configuration, which costs about a grand now.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
Where do you find Refurb Apple Macbooks?

Nevermind, found it. Good prices. Think I may look into that!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Every once in a while, my MacBook Air charges seems to decide it doesn't want to charge anymore. The orange light just goes off. Not green, just off. If I unplug it from the side and plug it back in, it turns green briefly, then back to orange, and starts charging again.

Is this something I should worry about?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

brc64 posted:

Every once in a while, my MacBook Air charges seems to decide it doesn't want to charge anymore. The orange light just goes off. Not green, just off. If I unplug it from the side and plug it back in, it turns green briefly, then back to orange, and starts charging again.

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks after buying my MBA. Took it to the Apple store and it was replaced on the spot, smooth sailing since.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

brc64 posted:

Yeah take it in/call about it, could just be the charger or something bigger like whatever charging stuff in the MBA itself.

jwvgoethe
Jan 17, 2011
Sorry guys to pollute the thread, but I'm selling my Macbook Pro early 2011, 13" 2.3 GHz 8GB Ram. I had a buyer who backed out at the last minute, so it is all cleaned, prepped and ready to go. I can be flexible with price, and am willing to trade for a mac desktop(iMac or other quad core nehalem or better). I can throw in cash with a trade.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444537

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Space Racist posted:

If you need more than 16GB, shouldn't you be looking at Mac Pros instead? :v:

More like looking to the future (say a year or so from now, if I want to add more RAM, would I be able to).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Space Racist posted:

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks after buying my MBA. Took it to the Apple store and it was replaced on the spot, smooth sailing since.
Wait a second, it's supposed to always be green if it's not charging? My MBP does that sometimes and I thought it had to do with the new intelligent battery wear system that came with the Unibody MBP so long ago?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I'm negotiating to procure a black 2.2GHz C2D MacBook tonight on the cheap. Is there any reason I shouldn't get it, legacy-wise? I plan to pop in an SSD and run Xcode on Lion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kuskus posted:

I'm negotiating to procure a black 2.2GHz C2D MacBook tonight on the cheap. Is there any reason I shouldn't get it, legacy-wise? I plan to pop in an SSD and run Xcode on Lion.

You can stick 6GB in those, I think. The worst part about it is going to be the slow X3100 graphics. Other than that you should be fine.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
Maybe I am being antsy but the previous version macbook pro is $1,594.00 now on Amazon. The newly updated model is $1,794.00 but they havent received it yet.

Is it worth the 200 bucks to get the newest model? I am being really impatient and can get the old version tomorrow with my prime... :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

PrettyhateM posted:

Maybe I am being antsy but the previous version macbook pro is $1,594.00 now on Amazon. The newly updated model is $1,794.00 but they havent received it yet.

Is it worth the 200 bucks to get the newest model? I am being really impatient and can get the old version tomorrow with my prime... :(

*cough* refurbs

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Since I couldn't find enough evidence on the Internet to find a definitive answer, I decided to roll the dice and build a gaming PC to plug into my 27" iMac and see if everything worked correctly. Vague posts that I found online said that the iMac could only handle sources at either 1280x720 or 2560x1440, and nothing in between. It was also unclear if audio would get passed correctly out of the video card and into the iMac.

The verdict: holy poo poo it works perfectly. If I turn on my little gaming PC (it's mini-ITX) the iMac automatically switches over to it regardless of resolution and pipes out the audio. Now I don't have to settle for the BF3 graphics that the iMac's 5750 could do, and can enjoy my 27" LED-backlit IPS panel at native resolution. :D

Supposedly the 2011 iMacs won't play this nicely since they require Thunderbolt devices. 2010 and 2009 should work with any DisplayPort video card, but again the Internet hasn't been too clear. All I know is that mine works beautifully.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 25, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Battlefield 3 runs at high settings on 720p at 30fps on the 2011 base iMac so wtfever :o:

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002

alright after tax it is $1,482.52 for the one I am looking for.... Hrmmm is the video upgrade even worth a drat on the new ones?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

japtor posted:

Yeah take it in/call about it, could just be the charger or something bigger like whatever charging stuff in the MBA itself.

It's not a problem that I can duplicate even though it's happened a few times now. Will the Apple Store people do anything if they can't duplicate it? I suppose I could try calling first and see what they tell me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

necrobobsledder posted:

Wait a second, it's supposed to always be green if it's not charging? My MBP does that sometimes and I thought it had to do with the new intelligent battery wear system that came with the Unibody MBP so long ago?

If the light went off after it was fully charged, I might not be concerned. But when I've observed this happening, it's happened before the MacBook had finished charging. Oddly enough, if I happen to be using it when the light goes out, the battery icon still shows the thunderbolt. But one morning after leaving it plugged in overnight, the light was off and the battery was almost dead, which makes me suspect it wasn't really charging at all.