Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
So every PC GTA game on steam for $12. I almost want to rebuy them all just so I never need to put the dvds in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

So every PC GTA game on steam for $12. I almost want to rebuy them all just so I never need to put the dvds in.
I prefer owning retail DVDs for GTA4 over having the episodes on steam. Still faster than downloading 16GB.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cage posted:

I prefer owning retail DVDs for GTA4 over having the episodes on steam. Still faster than downloading 16GB.

You don't have to download a game every time you play it, you know.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

Are you honestly contesting this?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

wa27 posted:

You don't have to download a game every time you play it, you know.
I mod my game occasionally but I also still play online almost every day and sometimes I screw something up. Thanks for replying like Im an idiot though, always fun to try to work in an insult whenever you respond to someone.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cage posted:

I mod my game occasionally but I also still play online almost every day and sometimes I screw something up.

Copy the files to another folder or drive? Heck you can just have steam re-check your installation, which will replace and redownload only the files that were modded, it doesn't need to grab all 16 gb everytime.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

trandorian posted:

Copy the files to another folder or drive? Heck you can just have steam re-check your installation, which will replace and redownload only the files that were modded, it doesn't need to grab all 16 gb everytime.
Thats okay, I already own the game and like I said it installs faster than redownloading on steam so Im all set.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yeah but regardless if it's from two dvd's or from steam, wouldn't keeping original copies of the files that get modded in another folder then just recopying them over be a lot faster than reinstalling the entire thing? Unless you're hard up for hard drive space I guess.

I really really miss the days when pc game makers either embraced or just didn't care that people modded their games. They saw the benefit in letting nerds extend the longevity of their games through modding which if anything would keep people more interested in their franchise until the next proper sequel. If it were easy to mod the hell out of gta4 and still go online without all this restoring files and checking validity nonsense, I probably wouldn't need to buy Saints Row 3.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
This is a dumb fight, you guys are dumb. Where do I download patches and poo poo for GTA4

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

This is a dumb fight, you guys are dumb. Where do I download patches and poo poo for GTA4

http://www.gta4-mods.com/

I accidently bought the steam bundle just now. I had it in my cart the other night as I was trying to see extra games were giftable (they're not). Today I went to buy sequence, didn't look at my cart, and ended up with the GTA bundle and Sequence.

Not the end of the world, even though I already had GTA4&LCS. I never did beat the first one.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is playing GTA3/VC better on an Xbox 360 (or even the OG Xbox) or on a PC with a fake on-board video card? That's all my desktop has and I haven't played a game on it ever except the Steam version of Deus Ex.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You should be ok, I played it back in the day on a 350mhz P2 and GeForce 2mx.

So what's going on with GTA3, is it going to be free like GTA and GTA2?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is playing GTA3/VC better on an Xbox 360 (or even the OG Xbox) or on a PC with a fake on-board video card? That's all my desktop has and I haven't played a game on it ever except the Steam version of Deus Ex.

GTA III runs fine on pretty much anything. Not so sure about VC but I did run that on some computer with a Pentium III and a piece of crap video card with 32 mb of vram back in the day fine, a netbook could probably run it these days, at least a fancier one.

If you want SA eventually tho, I think that starts requiring a better video card.

As for playing them on 360, well, you'd have to go find a the original Xbox discs for the games, and then They only show up as 480p so they look kind of blurry and stretched. I wouldn't advise it unless you already have the Xbox copies.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If you do play PC I'd recommend having a controller hooked in for SA to use during the flying missions. Some people can get the hang of the PC Controls (except bombing, which requires either remapping or three hands) but the Console controls work much better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
GTA3 might not be pretty, but it should run on nearly any computer built in the last few years.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cojawfee posted:

GTA3 might not be pretty, but it should run on nearly any computer built in the last few years.
I like when websites never shut down.

Cage fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 23, 2011

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Is the Rockstar Social Club down or something? I keep getting "Social Club is unavailable. Play Offline or try again." messages when I start the game. A shame, I was feeling like "accidentally" running over my friends today.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Weird, Ive never seen it not let you even hit the play button before. Whenever it was down before you would hit play and then the login would just fail.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Switched.on posted:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/

I accidently bought the steam bundle just now. I had it in my cart the other night as I was trying to see extra games were giftable (they're not). Today I went to buy sequence, didn't look at my cart, and ended up with the GTA bundle and Sequence.

Not the end of the world, even though I already had GTA4&LCS. I never did beat the first one.

There are like a billion mods there for dumb poo poo like cars.

Is there like one mod or some must have mods that make the game better, not just turn Nico into a cat or whatever.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I like http://www.lcpdfr.com/cops/ . It's fun to have this and a traffic increase mod installed.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

trandorian posted:

As for playing them on 360, well, you'd have to go find a the original Xbox discs for the games, and then They only show up as 480p so they look kind of blurry and stretched. I wouldn't advise it unless you already have the Xbox copies.

I got GTA3 from a local used game store for $2.50. The 360 BC actually does a pretty nice job of it, it does widescreen and honestly doesn't look any worse than a 10-year-old game should. I think the game not being pretty to begin with helps it hold up better, actually. I seem to remember of all the GTA games I played on the 360, only San Andreas gave me the "ugh this looks bad" vibe, probably because they pushed so much of the hardware limit that you think it should look better than it does.

I would pay an embarrassing amount of money for HD remakes of all of those games, but I doubt it will ever happen.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Social Club is back up, but trying to join any multiplayer games gets me "This match does not allow mods". I have the base game, validated on Steam.

Nevermind, I was trying to find ranked games, which don't exist. I'll just have to deal with random tweens lighting me on fire with mods.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 24, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So I got San Andreas and Vice City in the STEAM sale, I got no problems aside fron needing some good mod that jackets the games graphics up a little for SA but Vice City is hosed up sound wise by my late 09 PC's advanced features.

Any advice?

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

I'm pretty sure the version of SA you get via Steam is the post-Hot Coffee version that can't be modded. Correct me if I'm wrong. The version I got on Steam can't.

I finally got around to doing the drug-package deliveries for Little Jacob in GTA IV tonight. I don't know what was so hard about it originally that kept me from finishing Deliver #10. I sailed right through it. Pretty easy 10 gamerpoints. And it was enough to remind me just how much I loving love this game.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You can still mod Steam GTA SA but not as many mods are available and you need to take extra steps.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Can't you just replace the exe with version 1.1 of the game to make it moddable? I just remember that being the solution people would mention to play on the goon server.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Hoodlum's no-DVD crack can be applied to the Steam version to make it function just like the original. I don't know whether I should link it here but it's not hard to find.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!

AxeManiac posted:

There are like a billion mods there for dumb poo poo like cars.

Is there like one mod or some must have mods that make the game better, not just turn Nico into a cat or whatever.

Simple Native Trainer is a must if you enjoy screwing around and having vehicle spawns hotkeyed and want to make your car go 500MPH and weigh 20 tons and other assorted goofy poo poo.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Hold on to your butts

GTA V will be announced and have the premiere of it's trailer NEXT WEEK

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
My butt is thoroughly being held. gently caress yesssssss.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Does the style of the five mean anything to anyone?

TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

Mister Chief posted:

No idea why, but it makes me think of Ireland. Not that I think GTA5: Dublin is on the way.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Mister Chief posted:

Money? American bank notes?

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems

Mister Chief posted:

It reminds me of the font and printing that would be on a US 5$ bill.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I'm so excited. This is some of the most fantastic news I could possibly receive to start my day.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
fffffffff-

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
Ohhhhh yeah.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You play as the guy who gives Niko $100 in the first random encounter you get in GTA 4. Calling it.

Then you travel to the new Vice City and have tons of fun in your modern-day super-colourful paradise with lots to do.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
V for Venturas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Rockstar is usually pretty quiet about games aren't they? I mean trailers for GTA IV weren't coming out until like 6 months before release and they put out about 4 trailers for that total. Same with RDR, maybe this game is going to be out in the next 6-9 months?

• Locked thread