Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Do you know about the Creative Convention forum?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=31

There are also tons of 'how to draw' websites around. They'll tell you the generals in the beginner lessons.

I just googled a bit. I remember my feeble attempt at using that half of my brain and seeing a decent website, but I've forgotten it, but here's something that came up quickly.

http://www.learn-to-draw.com/drawing-basics/03-drawing-with-pencils.shtml

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

GOONS: how long do you suppose a good cheap manicure lasts? And how much should I tip?

I went for my first yesterday at a mall spa and paid about fourteen bucks (tip included--base charge was eleven dollars) for just cleaning and coloring, nothing particularly fancy. Is that reasonable?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Barnum posted:

Yeah, I was trying to be non-technical.

Everything you said is not true at all though. Caniformia has a pretty distinct dentition from Feliformia. It's pretty ridiculous to argue otherwise.

The dentition alone is enough to rule out raccoon and the shape of the skull along with the dentition definitely rules out any form of cat. At the very least, it's a caniform. Probably not a walrus though.

It's a raccoon.

Exhibit A: A raccoon skull:

Exhibit B: Raccoon, Dog, Coyote, Bobcat.

Exhibit C: Raccoon, Dog, Coyote, Bobcat.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

Swillkitsch posted:

GOONS: how long do you suppose a good cheap manicure lasts? And how much should I tip?

I went for my first yesterday at a mall spa and paid about fourteen bucks (tip included--base charge was eleven dollars) for just cleaning and coloring, nothing particularly fancy. Is that reasonable?
I can't help because prices vary so much between countries, but you may have more luck in the nail thread.

MaxOfS2D
Oct 13, 2011

machinima machine
My cooking pot has small orange, rusty-looking like spots at the bottom. Is it still safe to use?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

MaxOfS2D posted:

My cooking pot has small orange, rusty-looking like spots at the bottom. Is it still safe to use?

What kind of pot is it?
If it's cast iron, you "need" to scour the rust off with steel wool and re-season it (basically just coat it with an oil like bacon grease and heat it at a low temperature for a few hours). Probably safe, but your food will taste bad. Don't ever leave water or wet food in it for a long time, and don't leave anything acidic in (tomatoes, vinegar) it for a short time.

If it's some kind of stainless steel then it can probably be cleaned with something like a brillo pad or Bartender's Friend. Won't hurt you.

If it's some kind of non-stick teflon (the hard, dark grey stuff), then you probably should shitcan it.

If it's glass, then that's just some burned-on residue that you'll never taste. Again, probably just a brillo pad or let some vinegar sit in it over night.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm a pc tech and something I've wondered about: how is it that some people's mouses or certain keys on their keyboard can go from a textured/matte plastic surface to a slick shiny glass like surface through use?

Skin is not harder than plastic so how does it get polished up like that? I just got a mouse back today that's been in use maybe 1.5 years at most, the buttons and whole back half palm-area are shiny and smooth like glass.

It's never happened to me and I have an original MS optical mouse I've been using for 10+ years on one of my pcs, it just gets dirty.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wagonburner posted:

Skin is not harder than plastic so how does it get polished up like that?

Water is not harder than rock, and yet...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

I'm a pc tech and something I've wondered about : how is it that some people's mouses or certain keys on their keyboard can go from a textured/matte plastic surface to a slick shiny glass like surface through use?

Skin is not harder than plastic so how does it get polished up like that? I just got a mouse back today that's been in use maybe 1.5 years at most, the buttons and whole back half palm-area are shiny and smooth like glass.

It's never happened to me and I have an original MS optical mouse I've been using for 10+ years on one of my pcs, it just gets dirty.

I'm pretty sure it's from oils on the skin, also some people do have rougher hands. People who have sweaty hands are also likely to do this.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So they aren't so much polishing it up as they are filling the texture with their secretions? Nice.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 24, 2011

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wagonburner posted:

So they aren't so much polishing it up as they are filling the texture with their secretions? Nice.

No, they are polishing it by removing rough spots. Over years, tiny particles on your fingers rub against the surface of the plastic and wear it down.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

No, they are polishing it. Skin oils and sweat polish things down over time. Effectively the rougher bits of the devices are getting slowly polished away.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Remember also that skin replenishes itself and plastic does not.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Wagonburner posted:

I'm a pc tech and something I've wondered about : how is it that some people's mouses or certain keys on their keyboard can go from a textured/matte plastic surface to a slick shiny glass like surface through use?

My work laptop has many shiny keys, especially the space bar. Most likely because I used to eat chick-fil-a while I was working and the spicy chicken oil helped along the process.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
So the oil or skin itself can polish a sruface over time/use? I never knew that, thought that like water polishing river rocks, it would have to be carrying something abrasive like the water polishing the river rocks carrying sediment, silt or something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wagonburner posted:

So the oil or skin itself can polish a sruface over time/use? I never knew that, thought that like water polishing river rocks, it would have to be carrying something abrasive like the water polishing the river rocks carrying sediment, silt or something.

The process of polishing creates small amounts of grit which accelerates the process. If you run absolutely pure water over rocks, eventually little pieces of rock break off, make it more abrasive, etc. Kind of the same thing with hands on surfaces, but there you have both liquids and the rough texture of skin, including how dead skin is constantly falling off.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
How long, on average, does it take for a collision shop to fix a moderate to severely damaged car? I got into an accident today and my entire rear end fell off; the whole portion below the trunk, that is (sorry, not a car person). My dad (who tends to be over-dramatic sometimes) basically told me that I was hosed because it'll take "weeks" to fix "that sort of major damage". This makes me nervous as I obviously don't feel too bad about being an inconvenience to people for a week, but I can't be a mooch on my friends to take me places for more than that. This is if the insurance doesn't already decide it's totaled. I don't know if I should get a rental till then or what, this is the absolute last loving thing I needed in my life right now.

Anyone else have anything similar happen? How long did it take for it to be repaired, on average?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 25, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Weeks sounds accurate, especially if they have to order a part to fix it. I once backed into something and even though the damage was pretty light overall, it took like a week and a half to get fixed because they had to special order some part.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Does your insurance not cover a rental while the car's in the shop? Even the shittiest auto insurance I've ever had covered that, although they would only pay $23/day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Does your insurance not cover a rental while the car's in the shop? Even the shittiest auto insurance I've ever had covered that, although they would only pay $23/day.

Certain states allow you to elect out of it or to have no rental as the default option.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

What is the best site online to get color double-sided business cards printed from?

I've got my own design and 50-70 bucks to blow.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I sold a broken Nokia phone on Ebay. The winning bidder tells me out of the blue that he is not far from me and wants to come pick up up and pay cash. I am not trying to be a jerk, but do I have to accept this? If he wanted local pickup, he should have let me know before the item ended correct? I just don't like meeting people to sell stuff, Ebay or Craigslist.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What does a 'fitness interview' with the headmaster of a catholic seminary usually involve?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

I sold a broken Nokia phone on Ebay. The winning bidder tells me out of the blue that he is not far from me and wants to come pick up up and pay cash. I am not trying to be a jerk, but do I have to accept this? If he wanted local pickup, he should have let me know before the item ended correct? I just don't like meeting people to sell stuff, Ebay or Craigslist.

Sounds reasonable to me.

e: Your perspective that is.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

b0nes posted:

Just tell him that you're not really at home most of the time and kinda busy as well. But also stop being afraid of people.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
If you're afraid of him, you could always do the deal at a stupidly public spot, like a Starbucks. It's also entirely reasonable for you to say, "No, I'm not comfortable with that," and get a mailing address out of him.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

BonHair posted:

Just tell him that you're not really at home most of the time and kinda busy as well. But also stop being afraid of people.

it isn't about being afraid of people. It is when I have met people in public for stuff like Ebay auctions or Craigslist, it ends up being a hassle. Either they have a complaint about the product once they see it or tell me they bid too high or they tell me to meet them somewhere and don't show up or are late. When I ship it's fire and forget.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Just give him your address and tell him you're going to leave it on your porch (or another easily accessible spot) between the hours of (for example) 1-5PM and to pick it up then.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I want to make refrigerator magnets out of beer/soda bottle caps.
The best deal on magnets I can find on Ebay is for neodymium magnets.
The problem is if a cap is 19mm wide, the best price on magnets are 3mm wide, using glue would these be a viable option? Could I use 2-4?
These magnets are supposed to be pretty strong, but would 1 magnet of that size hole refrigerator stuff and a bottle cap?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Just give him your address and tell him you're going to leave it on your porch (or another easily accessible spot) between the hours of (for example) 1-5PM and to pick it up then.

howtonotgetpaid.txt

It's entirely reasonable for you to not want to deal with this person face to face. Just give him a firm no, and say it's by mail or nothing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ridonkulous posted:

The problem is if a cap is 19mm wide, the best price on magnets are 3mm wide, using glue would these be a viable option? Could I use 2-4?
These magnets are supposed to be pretty strong, but would 1 magnet of that size hole refrigerator stuff and a bottle cap?

They should totally hold it. Neodymium magnets are strong as heck and bottle caps are quite light. You might have an issue with the magnets being so strong that trying to pull the caps off a fridge might result in the glue failing and the magnet staying on the fridge detached from the cap though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
High-powered rare earth magnets are ridiculously strong, to the point that the ones the size of a coin will come with warnings that you can be seriously injured if you accidentally get body parts between them. A tiny neodymium magnet will have no problem holding up a bottle cap and a few sheets of paper.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Ridonkulous posted:

Incidentally, those little disk-shaped magnets work really well for making batteries fit in things that they are a little loose in. You can basically extend the length of a battery with one or more of them.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

stubblyhead posted:

howtonotgetpaid.txt

It's entirely reasonable for you to not want to deal with this person face to face. Just give him a firm no, and say it's by mail or nothing.

Well obviously make him PayPal or mail you the money first. I thought that was a given.

e: I don't think its unreasonable to say no either. Just tell him no if that's what you want to do. You have no obligation to go out of your way for an anonymous internet stranger.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
A bit embarrassing but I'm not good with physics.

If I have two loose AA Batteries in a pocket and nothing else there is no chance for them to cause a short circuit and lose their power, right?

If I also have a metallic rod (flashlight) in the same pocket could they cause a short circuit?

How many batteries could I carry like this? Do their ends have to meet to cause that discharge? Thanks.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

If I have two loose AA Batteries in a pocket and nothing else there is no chance for them to cause a short circuit and lose their power, right?

If I also have a metallic rod (flashlight) in the same pocket could they cause a short circuit?

How many batteries could I carry like this? Do their ends have to meet to cause that discharge? Thanks.
Unless the plastic/pain coating on the outside of the batter(ies) is missing/damaged and the metal is exposed, you'd have to have a lot of them and a big pocket to actually create a circuit. Even if it was exposed it'd be tough. But you probably shouldn't keep batteries in your pocket anyway since old/damaged ones can leak.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Ridonkulous posted:

I once bought a bag of 50mm disc magnets, and being a pretty smart guy I decided to put two of them together, with my upper lip in between them.

30 minutes and a decent amount of blood later I finally got them apart again. Granted, the ones you're looking at are fairly small, but they're damned strong.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

You need something to connect the terminals of the battery from (+) to (-) to complete a circuit and allow current to flow. Batteries do have a tendency to slowly self discharge over time, though.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
To create a circuit, you need to link the positive terminal of a battery to it's own negative terminal, using metal or batteries aligned correctly.

The picture is probably a bit misleading: coins and keys are pretty poor conductors, and would need to be held in place somehow. I wouldn't worry about accidentally discharging your batteries. A slightly bigger concern would be accidentally damaging a battery, and having the contents leak out. That would definitely ruin your jeans, and probably give you a nasty chemical burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Once again I am blown away by the helpfulness of this forum. Thank you very much.