Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

What? Yes they do, both are current options

not in U.S. we hate wagons here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Flu Roo posted:

For how long did you lose your license? Did you do any time, or just an overnight? Just curious to know what would have happened to me...
In high school when I had my mark 8 (4.6 DOHC, Paxton Novi 1000, 3.08 gears) you can bet I was a highway terror too. Your luck will run out. Mine actually did when I wasn't really street racing much at all any more, and I was in my WRX which was only making 7psi and a lo-po flat tappet 85 mustang pulled up to me at a stop light. It was not a fast race.

Cliff notes:
I am in Florida.
I was in jail over night. ~12 hours.
The bologna sandwiches are terrible.
The conversation is terrible. Everyone there doesn't want to appear miserable but it. All you can talk about is why you are in there. no matter how hard you try that's all anyone will talk about.
My lawyer was $1000.
I, under the threat of losing my license for a minimum of one year plus a $1000 fine plus a possibility (though unlikely) of jail time, took a plea bargain which changed the charge to reckless without alcohol involved.
The fine was about $1000.

I should have fought it.

Whats more, I shouldn't have been stupid.

EDIT: You know the $2000 and the miserable night don't relly sum up how it affected my life negatively completely.
It is worth mentioning that:
-Now I am labeled as a criminal.
-I must disclose this on any job application.
-I had a hold put on my University transfer and it risked me getting in until I wrote a letter explaining what happened.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 22, 2011

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Jamal- do you work at Surgeline per chance? I will be down there today (not with my car) but will almost certainly be persuaded into buying a bunch of poo poo. If you were there it would be great to give you my business.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I'm looking at picking up a 2002 Impreza Wagon 2.5 5spd N/A for $4000. 202,000 kilometers. Anything I should look out for other than the usual headgasket, tires, brakes, etc? What about timing belt? Are these motors capable of high mileage without oil burning issues? What about the transmission - are they pretty robust?

And if worst comes to worse, is swapping in a WRX motor&tranny very difficult?

BobTheFerret
Nov 10, 2003
Angry for coins

PXJ800 posted:

Thoughts on 2011 WRX vs 2010 Audi A3?
I'm leaning towards the WRX — my brother had one years ago and it was a great car, but I'm 34 and not so hot on the juvenile race mentality that seems to go with them, at least in northern NJ. The A3 seems a little underpowered but way more refined and inconspicuous.

In my opinion, the WRX/STi are fantastic cars for hauling things around. There's huge amounts of cargo room, and with the rear seats down, you can fit an absolute ton of stuff in there. I stuffed my 09 sti with all my worldly possessions when I moved out to the midwest - the power on tap makes it great for passing and accelerating up to freeway speed. The only complaint I have is the high cruising RPM - you can't really cruise above 85 mph (literally, the cruise control will not let you cruise above 85).

As far as kid-friendly or the image the cars have, in my opinion they're only as immature as you make them (granted, in NJ, I imagine it's hard to escape that...). The wing on the hatch is not outrageous (I don't know if the 2011's huge wing is optional or not, but god is it ugly - I hope it is) - at least compared to the wing on the older STi's. More importantly, having responsible people driving these cars can help change that image. It's not really that hard to have fun and at the same time avoid being a danger to others or yourself. The hatch versions of the WRX and STi are very practical, have room and hookups for child car seats in the back. If you treat them well, they will last quite a while. That said, if you do get one and don't plan on modifying it extensively, get the extended warranty (6yr/100k)...and get an Accessport to get rid of the damaging stock ECU map, if you get anything at all.

The A3 won't be nearly as fun or powerful as a WRX, and repairs will be significantly more if you can't do your own wrenching. I think you'll get more bang for your buck with the WRX if you're looking at AWD hatchbacks. God knows if you can afford a 335xi touring, that would hands down be my choice - that is one beautiful engine, and a $1000 chip from Dinan brings the power up to 400 hp under warranty, something that Subaru sadly does not offer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Ok, so I have to move.

Is there a decent subaru shop somewhere in the Inland Empire?

I'd go visit Jamal for major stuff, but I don't feel like driving 80mi each way for more minor stuff. No, moving somewhere else isn't a choice.

tronik
Oct 21, 2008

I have a dealer giving me a OTD price of 29,900 for a 2011 Limited with Homelink mirror on their lot. At the same time I have another dealer nearby quoting me 30,200 OTD for a 2012 Limited with a bunch of extras, an incredible deal imo. I feel like the first dealer should go lower on the 2011 but they insist they are giving me their best price. Am I right in going for the 2012?

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

tronik posted:

I have a dealer giving me a OTD price of 29,900 for a 2011 Limited with Homelink mirror on their lot. At the same time I have another dealer nearby quoting me 30,200 OTD for a 2012 Limited with a bunch of extras, an incredible deal imo. I feel like the first dealer should go lower on the 2011 but they insist they are giving me their best price. Am I right in going for the 2012?

For only 300 dollars more, yes.

You're buying a car that's "newer" than the 2011, so it's resale value will be higher should you decide to sell it later.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BobTheFerret posted:

...and get an Accessport to get rid of the damaging stock ECU map, if you get anything at all.

hm?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Jamal- do you work at Surgeline per chance? I will be down there today (not with my car) but will almost certainly be persuaded into buying a bunch of poo poo. If you were there it would be great to give you my business.

nope, but those guys are cool. If you tell geoff that peter says hi he'll probably know who you're talking about since I used to buy stuff from them.

nm posted:

Ok, so I have to move.

Is there a decent subaru shop somewhere in the Inland Empire?

I'd go visit Jamal for major stuff, but I don't feel like driving 80mi each way for more minor stuff. No, moving somewhere else isn't a choice.

that's sweet of you.

unfortunately I live in montana now. and I can't say I'm a fan of aq anymore.

I am building a parts website to go along with my "media website" which should make me a little money.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 23, 2011

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

BobTheFerret posted:

In my opinion, the WRX/STi are fantastic cars for hauling things around. There's huge amounts of cargo room, and with the rear seats down, you can fit an absolute ton of stuff in there. I stuffed my 09 sti with all my worldly possessions when I moved out to the midwest - the power on tap makes it great for passing and accelerating up to freeway speed. The only complaint I have is the high cruising RPM - you can't really cruise above 85 mph (literally, the cruise control will not let you cruise above 85).

As far as kid-friendly or the image the cars have, in my opinion they're only as immature as you make them (granted, in NJ, I imagine it's hard to escape that...). The wing on the hatch is not outrageous (I don't know if the 2011's huge wing is optional or not, but god is it ugly - I hope it is) - at least compared to the wing on the older STi's. More importantly, having responsible people driving these cars can help change that image. It's not really that hard to have fun and at the same time avoid being a danger to others or yourself. The hatch versions of the WRX and STi are very practical, have room and hookups for child car seats in the back. If you treat them well, they will last quite a while. That said, if you do get one and don't plan on modifying it extensively, get the extended warranty (6yr/100k)...and get an Accessport to get rid of the damaging stock ECU map, if you get anything at all.

The A3 won't be nearly as fun or powerful as a WRX, and repairs will be significantly more if you can't do your own wrenching. I think you'll get more bang for your buck with the WRX if you're looking at AWD hatchbacks. God knows if you can afford a 335xi touring, that would hands down be my choice - that is one beautiful engine, and a $1000 chip from Dinan brings the power up to 400 hp under warranty, something that Subaru sadly does not offer.

Thanks for the input. I would probably keep the car pretty stock; I go between modes of either having a cheap/paid off car to wrench on or semi-financing something ready right out of the box and with a baby/toddler combo I'm opting the latter.

While I don't love a high cruise RPM, it's not real often I make a trip over 20 miles so that's not a big issue. It's good to know, though. When I drive that fast I'm not comfortable setting it anyway, honestly it could be a factory deletion option and I would take it every time. I'm sure I could find some kid willing to trade a stock/wingless piece for any ugly body bits; the more sleeper the better and I do find the excessive spoiler bits ugly too. There are so many fart-can STI-wanna-be stock Imprezas around here...

I can't afford to import a 335xi Touring (when I go to the BMW site I only see a 328 Sports Wagon option) and as far as I know they aren't available in the US, but if I could go for one it would be closer to 2006. My brother has a 330xi and it's a really nice car. I really don't know what else to even look at after the A3 & WRX... Jeep Compass? Ew. I don't like the Mazda3 (been in one), and besides, FWD just kills me. I have a Wrangler so if I could find a RWD hatch slightly used and hang onto the Jeep, I'd consider that too, but there's really nothing out there for me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

unfortunately I live in montana now. and I can't say I'm a fan of aq anymore.

I am building a parts website to go along with my "media website" which should make me a little money.
poo poo, what happened?

You have any recommendations in that part of the world? Prefer to not have to drive to LA county, i'll probably be in Redlands.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 23, 2011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As promised. I took a snapshot after I put my new wheels on the car.

As mentioned before, these are gunmetal Enkei EMK3 17x7 wheels with 215/50/17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS UHP All-Seasons as my winter setup.

It's VERY close to stock setup looking which makes me happy.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

PXJ800 posted:

Thanks for the input. I would probably keep the car pretty stock; I go between modes of either having a cheap/paid off car to wrench on or semi-financing something ready right out of the box and with a baby/toddler combo I'm opting the latter.

While I don't love a high cruise RPM, it's not real often I make a trip over 20 miles so that's not a big issue. It's good to know, though. When I drive that fast I'm not comfortable setting it anyway, honestly it could be a factory deletion option and I would take it every time. I'm sure I could find some kid willing to trade a stock/wingless piece for any ugly body bits; the more sleeper the better and I do find the excessive spoiler bits ugly too. There are so many fart-can STI-wanna-be stock Imprezas around here...

I can't afford to import a 335xi Touring (when I go to the BMW site I only see a 328 Sports Wagon option) and as far as I know they aren't available in the US, but if I could go for one it would be closer to 2006. My brother has a 330xi and it's a really nice car. I really don't know what else to even look at after the A3 & WRX... Jeep Compass? Ew. I don't like the Mazda3 (been in one), and besides, FWD just kills me. I have a Wrangler so if I could find a RWD hatch slightly used and hang onto the Jeep, I'd consider that too, but there's really nothing out there for me.

You could always go with the X3 35i, it's even 2 grand cheaper than the 335i sedan. There's also the Ford Flex limited with the 3.5l ecoboost motor and AWD. And then there's always the Lancer ralliart sportback! :suicide:

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001

Amandyke posted:

You could always go with the X3 35i, it's even 2 grand cheaper than the 335i sedan. There's also the Ford Flex limited with the 3.5l ecoboost motor and AWD. And then there's always the Lancer ralliart sportback! :suicide:

Change of plans: See you in my 2004 Malibu Maxx.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

jamal posted:

nope, but those guys are cool. If you tell geoff that peter says hi he'll probably know who you're talking about since I used to buy stuff from them.

Actually Geoff gave me a tour of the place and seemed pretty cool. I didn't buy an AccessPort yet, my debate rages on.

I don't know how much it would cost really to replace a busted piston out of warranty but don't really want to find out. The info he showed me and walked me through related to high stock AFR and the resultant high temperatures (to minimize emissions) followed by rich mixture to reduce motor temps was pretty alarming, but still, if it blows up right now I get a new motor for free.

If I buy one I will get a tune as well at the same time (next weekend??).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

bull3964 posted:

As promised. I took a snapshot after I put my new wheels on the car.

As mentioned before, these are gunmetal Enkei EMK3 17x7 wheels with 215/50/17 Continental ExtremeContact DWS UHP All-Seasons as my winter setup.

It's VERY close to stock setup looking which makes me happy.

Those look great. Thanks for posting them.
All I have to do is get the chip in my back passenger door fixed and I'm going to start saving up for a set of those.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Actually Geoff gave me a tour of the place and seemed pretty cool. I didn't buy an AccessPort yet, my debate rages on.

I don't know how much it would cost really to replace a busted piston out of warranty but don't really want to find out. The info he showed me and walked me through related to high stock AFR and the resultant high temperatures (to minimize emissions) followed by rich mixture to reduce motor temps was pretty alarming, but still, if it blows up right now I get a new motor for free.

If I buy one I will get a tune as well at the same time (next weekend??).

You could run a few checks to see how healthy the motor is before you even begin modifying (compression/leak down test?). Then you'll know if you're even close to some of the wear limits/damage.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Sockington posted:

You could run a few checks to see how healthy the motor is before you even begin modifying (compression/leak down test?). Then you'll know if you're even close to some of the wear limits/damage.

That sounds pretty good, but my car only has 2840 miles on so I'd like to assume that those would be unnecessary. Then again, with 5 days of autocross who knows...

I might just go down, get those tests done, and if they come back good to go I'll buy the AP and get a safe tune for my 92 aki fuel. I want to run a stock boost level in S mode though so I can run in STU next year...

I just have these horrific flashes of making monthly payments on a busted car. I saw Wiseco forged pistons for 1400... How hard is install for a C+ but tenatious mechanic? Also, good bye competitive autocross classing.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

dyne posted:

big pic

What do you guys think, totaled? It's an '03 with ~127k miles on it. We only got it in March :\. Pro-tip: don't swerve much to avoid deer. The big indentation above the rear passenger wheel is from a guard rail. There were no significant human injuries and I imagine the deer's fine too.

There was no damage to the engine bay and the car runs just fine, so there's that at least. Anyone know if it's worth it to part out the car?

So, I can buy back the car for ~$1700. Would you guys put the work into parting it out? I can probably handle disassembling everything, my reservation is that I'll be working 70-80hrs/wk in the icu for the next month and won't have a whole lot of free time. I assume just selling the engine (plus wiring, ecu, accessories) would cover the purchase price, but I can't seem to find any recent, comparable engine sale prices.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

dyne posted:

So, I can buy back the car for ~$1700. Would you guys put the work into parting it out? I can probably handle disassembling everything, my reservation is that I'll be working 70-80hrs/wk in the icu for the next month and won't have a whole lot of free time. I assume just selling the engine (plus wiring, ecu, accessories) would cover the purchase price, but I can't seem to find any recent, comparable engine sale prices.

I would do it personally. Even if you just sell the motor and the wheels you could still scrap the rest of the car and get some $$ for that.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

dyne posted:

You might even be able to sell the car whole like that and profit. No need to even break it apart.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

c355n4 posted:

You might even be able to sell the car whole like that and profit. No need to even break it apart.

In :canada: that's like a $5000 Subaru. :cry:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sockington posted:

In :canada: that's like a $5000 Subaru. :cry:
In Alberta, it'd be $8000 and still on the road.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

In Alberta, it'd be $8000 and still on the road.

Can't be an Alberta car anyways - the windshield isn't cracked. :rimshot:

Edit: hahaha :tinfoil:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 24, 2011

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Sockington posted:

Can't be an Alberta car anyways - the windshield isn't cracked. :rimshot:
it is, actually!

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I just have these horrific flashes of making monthly payments on a busted car. I saw Wiseco forged pistons for 1400... How hard is install for a C+ but tenatious mechanic? Also, good bye competitive autocross classing.

The cheapest i've been quoted is $2200 for pistons and a ball hone, where you bring them a good shortblock with everything in it. They want $1500 more if they have to pull and replace the motor. Finally it's around 5k for a new block with all forged internals, installed, depending on what brands you choose. No idea how people afford to blow motors every 30k miles.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I don't understand either. Some dumbass with an Evo X was at autocross one day on his forth motor in 18k miles. He had all of them fully built, pushing 550 ish whp on each. He drag races it and let's his 16 year old drive it at autocross. He was there that day with 300 miles on the build. I wonder how long it lasted...

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

dyne posted:

Parting out is a huge pain in the rear end. Figure out if it's worth it for you; I'd personally see if you can straight up sell the car as is to somebody for $3k or something. I parted out my wrecked Maxima and I still have parts in my basement that are depreciating because I simply have not had the time.

That being said, yes, the engine will command $1k+ and you can get $500 for the transmission as well. After that it's nickel and dime stuff for airbags, seats, steering wheel, hood, blah blah blah.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
:(

New rotors - a NON DBA set because brakes glowing yellow is a wee bit beyond what they are capable of - is 1000 dollars. Fuuuuuuuuck, I really gotta nail my target time fast or I'll go broke feeding the drat thing rotors. I *really* need better brakes if I'm going to persist in being the last of the late brakers.

Hawk DTC60 pads - not such an assrape, higher working temps, wont turn to dust like the current EBC Reds are trying to do

Oh and tomorrow, titanium heat shields. The sheer amount of heat is insane after half a dozen flat stick laps......!

Just seen a few pictures of the last track day and they really showed the difference of how much harder the front was working with the castor mod. But they also now showed my suspension is just not going to allow much more time to be cut. One picture in particular has me very concerned.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Cat Terrist posted:

:(

Just seen a few pictures of the last track day and they really showed the difference of how much harder the front was working with the castor mod. But they also now showed my suspension is just not going to allow much more time to be cut. One picture in particular has me very concerned.

You say THAT and then don't post said pictures?!?

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Is there a recommended brake fluid for those of us without performance monsters? I need to flush my system, but need to make sure I'm getting good stuff back in.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I swap between ATE super blue and another synthetic I can't remember, so that I can tell when all the old fluid is out due to the color change.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
ATE makes both Super Blue (blue) and Typ 200 (clear) so you don't have to change the manufacturer. :)

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Perfect! Thanks!

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I just ordered a Defi RR boost gauge and the Whiteline steering rack bushing kit. I am posting to ask if anyone has any good tips or tricks for installing either or both of these items in a 2011 STi that aren't included in the directions. This will be the first time I've attempted any gauge install, but I'm not entirely new to car electronics. The steering rack should be more familiar turf for me but I would still appreciate any advice from those who have done it.

First mods for the STi!

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

My trip to Boston was awesome. The 2010 STi is so drat nice on roadtrips. Even through rain and some goofy roads.

My only complaint: The seats aren't all that great on anything longer than an hour. I needed multiple 'get out and stretch' breaks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ssjonizuka posted:

You say THAT and then don't post said pictures?!?

Well I have to upload them first :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

gently caress wheel locks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

gently caress wheel locks.

I never understood the point of these. There is a set on my car, but switching my wheels the other day got me thinking - if someone is going to steal your wheels, they won't stop whomever is doing it because these things all appear to have the same pattern (unless they are slightly different?), and a thief would have one with them.