Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
csidle
Jul 31, 2007

LA attack posted:

I just saw this, and I'm a huge GTA fan! I have to say I'm surprised they made the jump to GTA V already. I thought they still could have dragged the engine out into a couple more iterations without branding it as the 'NEXT' Grand Theft Auto game but arguable that was what they were doing with the Episodes from Liberty City expansions.
Just because they're calling it GTA 5 doesn't mean it's switching engines. That happened between 3 and 4, sure, but it doesn't mean that they absolutely are. I'll bet they're sticking with RAGE for this.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also wasn't GTA4 originally supposed to come out October 2007 when that original trailer was released?
Looks like you're right. I reckon this is coming out in April or May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

*double post*

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really hope the sr3 vs gta stuff will stay away; they both do different things now and they both own.

That said I am a sucker for GTA; I still replay VC/SA all the time, truly the pinnacle of the series though I do like 4/EFLC

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

RustyTrombone posted:

Do you think there's any chance this will be shown on a pc and it's being developed for the next generation of consoles?

No. That's too far off. They can milk this generation for another full game and probably some episodic DLC.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Zedd posted:

I really hope the sr3 vs gta stuff will stay away; they both do different things now and they both own.

That said I am a sucker for GTA; I still replay VC/SA all the time, truly the pinnacle of the series though I do like 4/EFLC

Wassup Goon with the same feelings.

I got my fingers crossed for a soundtrack just as good as VC/SA for in this one.

Nothing was more awesome driving a Harley down the motorway listening to Iron Maiden Two Minutes To Midnight with Tommy Vercetti.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Oh my God this is the greatest day ever. I JUST got back into playing GTA IV as my main chill-out game (finally going to go for 100% for the Cheevo) and then THIS happens? Great Scott. I don't think I've been this excited for a game for no reason since the first issue of PC Gamer previewing HL2 came out.

I couldn't give a poo poo where it's set, or who you play as. The real point of the matter is that there's finally a new GTA on the way! Not RDR, not LA Noire, not Max Payne. But GTA. :v:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

I am so loving psyched for the trailer
Vegas maybe??

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Someone's trying to tell me there's a big rumor that GTA5 is going to be WiiU-exclusive. That's complete bullshit, right?

Can't wait for this. I'd honestly be surprised if we got this before the holiday season next year, but maybe it's further along than I realize.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

CVagts posted:

Someone's trying to tell me there's a big rumor that GTA5 is going to be WiiU-exclusive. That's complete bullshit, right?

Why would you even entertain this schoolyard rumour crap? I mean, really?

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I've been playing GTA IV multiplayer a lot recently (having never played MP GTA before), and its crazy stupid fun, so this is definitely near the top of my watch list.

Curious though, what's the standard delay time now for GTA games releasing for PC?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Dreamcast exclusive, baby. :c00l:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

That logo is atrocious.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I wonder if they're going to use LA Noire's facial mocap technology in GTA5. I'd guess "yes," since GTA always puts crazy emphasis on characters and dialogue cutscenes. Then again, it costs a bazillion dollars and you need a "real" actor for every single character in the game.

If they didn't add facial motion capture, however, what else could they add to the engine? In terms of scenery and detail, GTA4 is already pushing the current gen consoles to their absolute limit.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax
It's going to be first person.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Polo-Rican posted:

I wonder if they're going to use LA Noire's facial mocap technology in GTA5. I'd guess "yes," since GTA always puts crazy emphasis on characters and dialogue cutscenes. Then again, it costs a bazillion dollars and you need a "real" actor for every single character in the game.

If they didn't add facial motion capture, however, what else could they add to the engine? In terms of scenery and detail, GTA4 is already pushing the current gen consoles to their absolute limit.

e: Okay, probably not reasonable at all, but still, one can dream. I'm guessing, at the very least, there'll be improves on the GTA IV engine that will make it run better, maybe load more than a block at a time.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 25, 2011

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

CVagts posted:

Can't wait for this. I'd honestly be surprised if we got this before the holiday season next year, but maybe it's further along than I realize.

Have you been hanging around the GameFAQs GTA boards? Cause that would be ridiculous.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Right, then. Apologies for bringing it up.

Is this just "gently caress you Battlefield" timing, then? 9 AM on a Tuesday morning, bam here's Grand Theft Auto 5.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

KFCB posted:

Have you been hanging around the GameFAQs GTA boards? Cause that would be ridiculous.

I think it probably stems off that old rumor pre-E3, that Rockstar was working on a launch title for the new Nintendo console (WiiU) and it was going to be GTAV and they were going to show it at E3. Which came about from an amalgamation of assumptions and half-truths; it was confirmed Nintendo was going to announce a "big open-world title" as a WiiU exclusive, a Rockstar employee had confirmed the company had WiiU devkits, and everyone was debating what/if Rockstar's big E3 announcement would be, if any, and GTAV rumors with the casting calls and poo poo were at their peak right around then.

Of course then E3 rolled around, everyone cried/laughed their way through Nintendo's conference, Rockstar was silent, and it turned out the "big open-world title" was that Lego World sandbox game or whatever.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Polo-Rican posted:

A fun game?

Taxi missions and all of the old poo poo that should of been in 4. I hope 4 was the 3 of the PS3, meaning 5 and 6 will be VC, and SA respectably.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

CVagts posted:

Right, then. Apologies for bringing it up.

Is this just "gently caress you Battlefield" timing, then? 9 AM on a Tuesday morning, bam here's Grand Theft Auto 5.
I think it's a "gently caress you all big games coming out soon"
A new GTA is kind of a big deal in the gaming world. War-Based FPS 2012 can take the sidelines for now.
EDIT: ^^^^ Taxi missions were fun? :confused: And there were a few in GTA IV. It's how you met Little Jacob!

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Im trying to figure out when, if ever, the US five dollar bill had a roman numeral V in that style, maybe itll have something to do with the setting of the game?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Just because GTA4 wasn't San Andreas in HD doesn't mean it wasn't any fun.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

That's what I was thinking before Red Dead Redemption came out, but that game looked noticeably better than GTA4 and (more importantly) it controlled better. That was two years after GTA4, so I can't wait to see how they've refined everything two more years later.

I'm not getting my hopes up for an early release of GTAV. Rockstar already has Max Payne coming out in March.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It coming to the Wii-U wouldn't surprise me; but no way it's going to be an exclusive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GAY RETARD posted:

Im trying to figure out when, if ever, the US five dollar bill had a roman numeral V in that style, maybe itll have something to do with the setting of the game?

This just in: GTAV is set in a alternate America where it it ruled by ancient romans.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

To help get amped up for this game, should I finally give Chinatown Wars for the DS a try? I never got around to it, but lately I've been itching to dust off my old DS Lite. I heard it got lots of critical acclaim, but never actually heard what normal consumers thought of it. Was it a GTA3 "have fun, do a thing!" style game or more of a GTAIV "serious story, realistic missions" affair.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The best part of Chinatown Wars was the drug dealing side game. Find dealers, buy low, sell high, outrun setups and stings, it was great.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The best part of Chinatown Wars was the drug dealing side game. Find dealers, buy low, sell high, outrun setups and stings, it was great.

Yeah, I laughed at it when I was like "This is just an open world version of Dope Wars!" because that's stupid.

Then it was 6 hours later, and I was still playing, because an open world version of Dope Wars is loving awesome.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zedd posted:

This is exactly how I feel. There is a lot of argument between the two fan bases but with a lack of really good sandbox games like this there is no reason they both can't exist. Plus at this point they are such polar opposites it shouldn't be a big deal.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

That Awful Nick posted:

Was it a GTA3 "have fun, do a thing!" style game or more of a GTAIV "serious story, realistic missions" affair.

It was totally fun-focused. If you can find it for cheap it's definitely worth playing.

Everything feels great except that the game suffers from a ~really stupid~ cop evasion system. When your wanted level rises, you need to attack cops to get it down. But 90% of the time the cops will crash their cars themselves and you'll lose your rating anyways. As a result, losing cops was so easy that you never had to worry about getting arrested at all.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Polo-Rican posted:

It was totally fun-focused. If you can find it for cheap it's definitely worth playing.

Everything feels great except that the game suffers from a ~really stupid~ cop evasion system. When your wanted level rises, you need to attack cops to get it down. But 90% of the time the cops will crash their cars themselves and you'll lose your rating anyways. As a result, losing cops was so easy that you never had to worry about getting arrested at all.

Sometimes I forget that you can even get arrested in the GTA series :stare:

Whenever I see cops I either shoot till I'm dead or run till I'm dead. Bastards will never take me alive :black101:

Boba Phat
Feb 19, 2003

Deal With It

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Ballad of Gay Tony fixed a lot of GTA4 issues, and surely they'll incorporate RDR stuff too.
I have a long-standing fantasy that basically goes 1) Rockstar got really good at making interesting urban worlds over the course of the GTA games, 2) Rockstar then got good at making interesting rural worlds via Red Dead Redemption, and 3) That GTA IV in-game tease for the next GTA seemed to show a volcano. Add all that up, and GTA V will be set in Rockstar's version of Hawaii where you'll have both huge urban and rural environments, and the whole "you're on an island so the map is only so big" mechanic will finally make some logical sense.

I do not think this will actually happen, but I will continue to dream (until 11/2).

I'll settle for them just removing the endlessly annoying "Let's-play-darts-kuzin" social mechanics. Jesus, what were they thinking?

Boba Phat fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

This just in: GTAV is set in a alternate America where it it ruled by ancient romans.
This would be awesome, it would be like Julie Taymor's film version of Titus or the "Bread and Circuses" episode of Star Trek

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone have a modding guide?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Just to be a speculative twat, the logo makes me think it will be in Las Venturas or Los Santos again. Either would be cool to revisit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That Awful Nick posted:

To help get amped up for this game, should I finally give Chinatown Wars for the DS a try? I never got around to it, but lately I've been itching to dust off my old DS Lite. I heard it got lots of critical acclaim, but never actually heard what normal consumers thought of it. Was it a GTA3 "have fun, do a thing!" style game or more of a GTAIV "serious story, realistic missions" affair.

It's great on both DS and PSP. It's got somewhat of a GTA 1/2 feel due to the mostly overhead camera angle as well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cephalectomy posted:

Just to be a speculative twat, the logo makes me think it will be in Las Venturas or Los Santos again. Either would be cool to revisit.
I wonder if the Money Five or whatever you want to call that thing on the teaser image is supposed to be a gang tattoo.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

GAY RETARD posted:

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Polo-Rican posted:

I loved the cop evasion system in CW. It's the only game in the series that actually rewards engaging the cops rather than just running away from them, and if they refined that system and included it in V it would make me very happy indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

Oh sweet, 1899. So, GTA on horses with guns and the wild west! Wait, this sounds familiar...

• Locked thread