Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think the only contributor who had any advance notice of that plot development was Lexxy.

She mentioned she had a particularly super-secret asset and I figured it had to be a dramatic shot of a female character. Sadly that character was not Vriska.

Free Vriska from the dream bubble tyrants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Holy what the living poo poo.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
*ahem*

:sbahj:

I mean holy everliving poo poo that was worth the wait and then some :psyduck:

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Cleretic posted:

Except for Dad. Who will be exactly the same loving father.

There are always just some universal constants.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Well this was the best possible thing to wake up to. :stare:

I was like "Okay, it has to end soon, right?... Jesus christ, it's still going. There's still more. IT KEEPS HAPENING. :sbahj:"

e: the beat mesa took off from LOHAC before dog tier jade shrunk it, so they aren't taking the reset button with them

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 25, 2011

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

TOAST7312 posted:

So who else votes that WV has died in his quest town and should ascend to mayor-tier?

This should happen.

I can't decide if the next update being a post-Scratch Earth or dog tier busting into the Troll universe would be better.

Edit: Or whatever universe. The universe the remaining trolls are currently residing into and which, presumably, dog tier Jade is sending everyone.

marsattacks fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 25, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

Also Zorak, did you forget to spoiler tag a lot of that or is that a sign that we should gently caress off with spoiler tags about content in the new flash :v:

I think it's safe to say at this point that anyone reading the thread has seen the flash and can deal with it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Has anyone noted that at the time Gamzee was typing to Scratch, i.e. at the point 'the most important character in Homestuck fondly regards the miracle of a new beginning.', Lil' Cal is on his lap?

Edit - it must be said that that flash was really something else. Absolutley brilliant. Glad to see Xamag-chan's art got in, as well.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr. Pumroy posted:

The reveal that the Tumor wasn't a bomb at all, but an ectobiology lab containing two whole universes was great. I'm not sure what emotion the close up shots of Dave and Rose were supposed convey but "oh drat" is pretty appropriate.

You have never seen Die Hard 3.

You should rectify this immediately.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Holy poo poo the project wonderful adspaces are going for 150$ right now :stare:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aw man, now I have a memorial avatar. :(

Are Dave and Rose in the Troll universe now? Is that what happened at the tail end there?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Favorite part of the flash was the Spades and Snowman bit, the cut to it and the music was just spot on.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I liked snaggle-toothed Bec Noir with the pupils. They were very disconcerting.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are Dave and Rose in the Troll universe now? Is that what happened at the tail end there?

In a way, they are I suppose? The Green Sun existed in all universes, so it's kinda an outside of time area.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Oh God Wayward Vagabond. Goodnight, sweet mayor.

Jade becoming a goddamn god-tier first guardian dreamself sprite was probably about the most amazing thing that could have happened. She's powerful enough to just kind of forget Bec Noir, now. Leave the old murderer dog to the newer, madder, mail-delivery dog.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

FewtureMD posted:

Goddamn, I love Rose's God Tier design. Having a Seer who can't see is always an interesting theme. That's also why Terezi is one of my favorite trolls.
Yeah, I was pretty sure that at some point Rose would be getting an outfit that covered her eyes somehow (although I was thinking more another one of those pink scarf/waistband things, but for round her eyes). The "blindness is a mark of a true seer" thing has been rattling around in my head for a while. It's very cool.

Renaissance Robot posted:

My favourite implication: with Dave and Rose alive, and their planets safe as well, they could go back and finish their personal quests. :unsmith:
Agreed, really hope that if it doesn't crop up in Act 6 then it appears as part of Act 7's denoument. And don't forget John, he's still got to clear the clouds around LoWaS. Jade may well have got her duties done offscreen, though.

quote:

e/ Did we ever see Jade actually get the final frog that Echidna showed her? Last I saw she was still puzzling over how to get it.
Yeah, pretty sure she did it with the ectobiology targetting thing during a chat with Karkat and Kanaya.

Baron La Croix posted:

I like the way that everything's turned out for the best and the worst simultaneously. Only in Homestuck.
It's brilliantly done, really. There's both a cathartic sense of triumph and relief in that the Kids got out of there alive (and all with godtier to boot!), mixed with the tragedy of most of the Exiles dying, and there's still the worrying aspect of them all playing into the main villain's hands, and his master plan ticking along smoothly. Plus it's a natural way to raise the challenge at the same time that the heroes' powers are growing.

Roll on Act 6.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 25, 2011

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
I think I'll be listening to this album Forever. Ye Gods :stare:

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Jegus WHAT AARGH

I just want to say that this morning I was only able to read the panels leading up to the flash and watch about 30 seconds or so of the flash before I had to carpool. Just long enough to convince me that Jade was toast FOREVER (her dream self is dead so of course the bed won't work! Durrr). I had a pretty grumpy morning until just now, when I could watch the whole thing on my lunch break.

WV RIP :(

I never expected that to be the origin of his bloodied hand :(

Dr Strangepants fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 25, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Evil Mastermind posted:

They're at the green sun, which is an out-of-universe big green sun that powers the first guardians and, by extension, Bec Noir. The plan was to blow it up and depower Jack; then the remaining trolls at the lab would see the blip and somehow navigate to it, so then everyone could meet up there and find their way back to the newly reset human session. Aradia got there ahead of time by using Jack as a portal when he came rushing at her just after she awoke, and is meant to help guide everyone who is at the sun to where they need to go.

Dave and Rose were moving the Tumor out to the sun, which they intended to destroy with it, but whoops! the Tumor created it instead, right on top of them. Then they found Aradia already there when they emerged. (And meanwhile, Sollux is killing himself psi-propelling the laboratory meteor with the rest of the surviving trolls - and all of the corpses - towards the green blip. Which probably works because he's half there and half at the sun already.)

Black Numenorean
Nov 23, 2008
Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but:

code:
bifurcate THIS[THIS, THIS];
import universe U1;
import universe U2;

~ATH(U1) {

~ATH(!U2) {

} EXECUTE(~ATH(THIS){}EXECUTE(NULL));

} EXECUTE(~ATH(THIS){}EXECUTE(NULL));

[THIS, THIS].DIE()
check_thii2_2hiit_out.~ATH

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Oh wow that was incredible. I absolutely did not expect all the kids to catch the tiger- and the exiles :( oh nooooooo

But the new album is pretty sweet! And I don't know if anyone else has noticed but there are two new shirts up- Hero of Mind and Hero of Heart.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Now that there's been an update to the webcomic it's a great time for everyone to get a refresher on the THE RULES.

Remember if it's not an actual spoiler for as of yet unreleased material don't use spoiler code, you'll be probated! This goes doubly so for making dumb jokes!

Low content posting is still a no go. So posts like Update!!!! Oh poo poo oh poo poo and other such posts that add nothing to a conversation will also result in probation!

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I'm re-reading Act 5 and could you guys help me with something?

How is Kanaya a vampire

I've been decent at keeping up with the story so far but that plot point just sailed right over my head. Does Homestuck ever say "Kanaya is vampire because _______" or do we just have fan speculation like, the Knight of Blood kissed her so she is an alien dracula now?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also it bears mentioning that Cal is on Gamzee's lap while Gamzee is watching the events unfolding in the "most important character in Homestuck" panel.

One more fine lump of evidence in the now-mountainous pile that Cal is the most important character and also Lord English. Taking bets, taking bets.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I am ambivalent about the way one of my predictions and favorite pieces of fanart came true.

And I'm reminded of this old, nutty fandom!secret. God.

Chunky12345 posted:

Free Vriska from the dream bubble tyrants

Oh, don't worry, she will be back. English will go about assembling followers in the new session.

Snollygoster posted:

How is Kanaya a vampire

Both how and for what purpose have yet to be explained.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Snollygoster posted:

I'm re-reading Act 5 and could you guys help me with something?

How is Kanaya a vampire

I've been decent at keeping up with the story so far but that plot point just sailed right over my head. Does Homestuck ever say "Kanaya is vampire because _______" or do we just have fan speculation like, the Knight of Blood kissed her so she is an alien dracula now?
We don't know the direct causation. She does have a love of "rainbow drinker" novels, so it was foreshadowed and is thematically appropriate. But as for the mechanics in play here, no idea. Might be the Knight of Blood kiss, might just be a thing that happens to those few trolls who can withstand the harsh Alternian sun. And of course, it might be the result of a semi-mythological group of beings latching on to her, the same way that the Horrorterrors did with Rose and the angels did with Eridan.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 25, 2011

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011
I have to say, in terms of what they did with the format, one of my favorite parts has to be when the flash is shifting from Bec Noir and the carapaces to Derse when there's two animations running at once side by side. It's a neat transition.

Tabachinova
May 6, 2007

You say...

You say you'd still rather wear the outfit.
nvm.

Tabachinova fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 25, 2011

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
Oh man I didn't not expect so much more stuff coming after I woke up. Albums! Hoodies! Speculation! Fanart!!!

Seriously though, zip-up is the way to go. Having only pullover hoodies is a tragedy..

Walliard posted:

If J has my name I will be so disproportionately happy.

In other news, I made a utility for assigning appropriate artist metadata to Homestuck music. It's pretty basic, but it may be relevant to some interests around here.

This is a really great idea! I usually do it manually, though one thing I've done before is leave things with multiple artists or ambiguous levels of contributions tagged as "Homestuck" and I'm interested to see how you handled it.

OurLivesOnline
Nov 5, 2009

let's be friends
So. Who else is hoping for a Post Scratch universe intermission?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't really take the time to say it earlier since I was busy being overwhelmed and then trying to sort out what happened, but this is one of the best looking things on the internet I've ever seen. Just as an experience, after the years of build-up of reading Homestuck (and, I suppose, Problem Sleuth and the other Hussie-works before that, and even maybe all the games and content referenced in said works), this flash was something else. Beyond reckoning, a total surprise, completely blew expectations out of the water.

I remember telling people not to get so hyped up, that there was no reason to think the flash was that much bigger than any other, that the time on hiatus hadn't all gone into its production. I remember thinking there was just no practical way that all the loose threads could be tied up.

Now look at it. Just about everyone is at full power, converging on a single point. All lesser mysteries solved or sidelined, all small players and whole universes destroyed, the entire of reality shorn down just a few heroes and the main villain. Snowman's dead. Spades Slick is dead. The exiles (except for PM) are dead. The guardians are dead. The worlds and everything on them are pocket sized. Prospit and Derse are gone.

All that's left is the green sun, Bec Noir, PM, Aradia, the kids, Sollux, Gamzee, Terezi, Kanaya, and Karkat. Time for the boss battle rumble.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

OurLivesOnline posted:

I don't know if I could handle another intermission of any sort, ever.

Someone on Tumblr just pointed out that Dave's God Tier hoodie is in the same shape as a knight's chain mail under his helmet (I'm sure it has an official real name). I love stuff like that.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Samovar posted:

Has anyone noted that at the time Gamzee was typing to Scratch, i.e. at the point 'the most important character in Homestuck fondly regards the miracle of a new beginning.', Lil' Cal is on his lap?

But we now know that in that scene, Gamzee was talking to Scratch. So it could very well gave been Scratch, but showing Gamzee to keep us off the trail.

e:

Dolash posted:

All that's left is the green sun, Bec Noir, PM, Aradia, the kids, Sollux, Gamzee, Terezi, Kanaya, and Karkat. Time for the boss battle rumble.

Pose As A Team, 'Cause poo poo Just Got Real.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Walliard posted:

The bullet is a tiny cueball.

Scratch did say he was waging a war of one bullet fired. I guess this is what he meant.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
So, uh, Why are there extra God Tier designs in the store?

For Terezi and Nepeta's titles?

all the missing spaces in the store basically spoiled the godtier part of the flash for me

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KoB posted:

But we now know that in that scene, Gamzee was talking to Scratch. So it could very well gave been Scratch, but showing Gamzee to keep us off the trail.

It's not Gamzee or Scratch. It's Cal. It's totally Cal. IT'S ALWAYS CAL

KoB
May 1, 2009
Did Dave's God tier outfit remind anyone else of the old chainmail hoods Knights used to wear? Its perfect.
e: http://imgur.com/iLLDx

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 25, 2011

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

OurLivesOnline posted:

Nah, it's going to be a 1025 day Squiddies intermission, where we find out that they are actually the dark gods from the furthest ring and that Eridian has been killing them off because he's a depressed and angry hipster teenage troll!

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

FaceTime posted:

Nah, it's going to be a 1025 day Squiddies intermission, where we find out that they are actually the dark gods from the furthest ring and that Eridian has been killing them off because he's a depressed and angry hipster teenage troll!

Each one of the 48 Squiddles who populate the new session will be more richly characterized than anyone prior. Only when we have completely forgotten about the trolls and the kids will Eridan start picking them off, one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Something I haven't seen speculated on yet in this thread: what was the giant monster that john kills in one hit right in the beginning of the flash? when I first saw it i thought it was hephaestus, but then it makes no sense for john to kill him because jade promised she'd take him with her to the post-scratch universe, and then she did just that. Was it just a giant enemy of a sort that hasn't been seen yet?

Also I don't think the new hoodies mean we'll see a cat tier nepeta. If the four guardians become the new players of the post-scratch world, then they're gonna need mythological titles to fit their new roles. The ______ of heart could refer to nanna, or maybe even mom.