Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This popped up on my reader list, an old patent for Lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's pretty god damned amazing that their patented idea hasn't changed or been able to be improved upon in 50 years. I mean, what other toy can you get from a store RIGHT NOW that contains the original patented piece that started everything?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Fayez Butts posted:

It's pretty god damned amazing that their patented idea hasn't changed or been able to be improved upon in 50 years. I mean, what other toy can you get from a store RIGHT NOW that contains the original patented piece that started everything?

Erector Sets and Lincoln Logs

The Frisbee

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
A slinky, a doll, airplanes, cars, stuffed animals.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

I thought the ratio was 10 pieces to a dollar? If so, 700 pieces for 70$ would be decently priced.

For themed sets, yeah. But the Creator line is known for having better ratios. 1200 pieces for $100, or 290 pieces for $20, or something along those lines.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Pyroclastic posted:

For themed sets, yeah. But the Creator line is known for having better ratios. 1200 pieces for $100, or 290 pieces for $20, or something along those lines.

Transport Truck is 276 pieces for $15

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
You also have to take into account how many unique and useful pieces in the set too.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Any of you lego dudes a boss and LDD?

I am looking to see some mini fig scale rocket designed!

Depending on the interest I would even pay a design and logistics bounty.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

This popped up on my reader list, an old patent for Lego.

You can get that in shirt form, if you like.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
This is pretty old but I haven't seen it posted here: the pricing for most of the 2012 sets.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

InfinEight! I found the box with the Spartans when I was looking for the zombies for my photo for today. I have 14~! Spartans still sealed (I didn't think I had that many...), and one extra open one for a total of 15. I don't have AIM though, so if you want to shoot me an e-mail, I'm at nickgatens AT gmail DOT com - we can work something out.

And speaking of the zombies, here's my newest photo from today:

day 34 by nickgatens, on Flickr

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Hey downfall,

If InfinEight doesn't need/use all 15, think I could get in on that? I would just like one maybe two :shobon:

I could also trade you something if that works better for you. Contact me at cadpat at etherealnet.ca if you're down!

(super awesome pic BTW)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
So I got my second series one figure today and was pretty happy when it turned out to be the green dragon knight. However what I really want is the Boxer so I can combine it with my Uncle Sam and make an Apollo Cree.... hey wait a minute, this isn't the Playmobil thread!

I was suprised to find Playmobil have their own mystery bagged figures now and some of them are actually pretty fun. For my kid... I promise. Purely as a toy much better value for money than the LEGO ones.

To get back on topic I like the vehicles in some of those Dinosaur sets. Obviously very Jurassic Park but my avatar is disappointed by the lack of Slouch Hatted minifigures. Also a little dissapointed that like many things in the world of LEGO it appears women have no interest in hunting dinosaurs.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 25, 2011

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/25/giant-lego-man-washes-up-in-florida.html

http://boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/legoman930.jpg

An giant Lego figure washed up on the beach!

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

downfall posted:

InfinEight! I found the box with the Spartans when I was looking for the zombies for my photo for today. I have 14~! Spartans still sealed (I didn't think I had that many...), and one extra open one for a total of 15. I don't have AIM though, so if you want to shoot me an e-mail, I'm at nickgatens AT gmail DOT com - we can work something out.

Holy crap, 15? I dunno if I want all of them but I'll send ya an email in a few minutes :).

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

NO REAL THAN YOU ARE

Stop taunting us Japan/China/???

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

NO REAL THAN YOU ARE

Stop taunting us Japan/China/???

I googled the quote and apparently there's a bunch of them?

So apparently someone is just making giant minifigs and just dumping them into the ocean for kicks.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

You can get that in shirt form, if you like.

Tempting.

And poo poo, between the patent diagram and the eight-foot-tall Legoman on the beach, now I can't decide which I want as my desktop background.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm pretty sure the same thing was done a few years ago here in the Netherlands.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

KingFisher posted:

Any of you lego dudes a boss and LDD?

I am looking to see some mini fig scale rocket designed!

Depending on the interest I would even pay a design and logistics bounty.

Universe mode or LDD pure? I do pretty much all my work in LDD anyway, but I prefer to use vanilla mode because I have a problem with my brain. Here is some stuff.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

You bastards! You blew it up!

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Obviously we need to show this guy up.

Release the giant bioncles! Let a whole new WAVE of terror sweep across the oceans :black101:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
This is a pretty cool thing:

Also I emailed you downfall so yeah. Hit me back when you get a chance.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Trans yellow cockpit. NOW.

Looks like it has the correct minifig inside. :)

okkie
Oct 3, 2005

play nothing

CADPAT posted:

I googled the quote and apparently there's a bunch of them?

So apparently someone is just making giant minifigs and just dumping them into the ocean for kicks.

http://www.egoleonard.nl/ego_gb.html

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I remember the old sets having a set of alternate builds on the back of the box or the instruction booklet. The couple of licensed sets I'v seen don't have these. Is it just the licensed sets or have these been scrapped on newer sets?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

I remember the old sets having a set of alternate builds on the back of the box or the instruction booklet. The couple of licensed sets I'v seen don't have these. Is it just the licensed sets or have these been scrapped on newer sets?

Creator and Technic sets still include alt-builds (Creator even includes instructions for them), but none of the themed sets have them anymore.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

InfinEight posted:

Speaking of cool space type swooshy things, some custom dropship I found GISing for Blacktron:

:aaaaa:

Corbid Muriosity
Sep 4, 2011

It looks like this guy made a bunch of these and dropped them in the ocean at some point. I think three or four have surfaced on different beaches over the years if I remember correctly.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Blacktron supremacy

(source)

(source)

Also this, which is great but gently caress Flickr users who disable image downloading.

e: woah

(same guy as the first)

And this is a really cute idea, also by the first guy:

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 26, 2011

Sair
May 11, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

So I got my second series one figure today and was pretty happy when it turned out to be the green dragon knight. However what I really want is the Boxer so I can combine it with my Uncle Sam and make an Apollo Cree.... hey wait a minute, this isn't the Playmobil thread!

I was suprised to find Playmobil have their own mystery bagged figures now and some of them are actually pretty fun. For my kid... I promise. Purely as a toy much better value for money than the LEGO ones.

That's somewhat weird actually, because they've been doing single figure one-offs for years. There's a Playmobil executioner around here somewhere. But those weren't random or anything.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN

Sair posted:

That's somewhat weird actually, because they've been doing single figure one-offs for years. There's a Playmobil executioner around here somewhere. But those weren't random or anything.

I googled this because I didn't believe you. But it's true. Good grief, Playmobil is loving morbid. They should just go ahead and make a Pyramid Head while they're at it.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Why do you think I got it? I had to have the toy executioner.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pyroclastic posted:

Creator and Technic sets still include alt-builds (Creator even includes instructions for them), but none of the themed sets have them anymore.

I figured the Creator sets would. Bah. I loved all the ideas they had for remaking the space and pirate stuff.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Torael_7 posted:

I'll third that, complete with BS in ME (have fun getting a job though :ohdear:) Won't say that it was definitely due to lego, but it certainly contributed.

Then again I'd always wanted to go into aerospace and, well...

(photography obviously not my strong suit here...)

Just starting my freshman year for Aerospace and my table is already full with Lego. An awesome friend of mine just bought me this:

Lego has always played a huge role in my life, and is probably why I've always wanted to be in Aerospace Engineering!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Just starting my freshman year for Aerospace and my table is already full with Lego. An awesome friend of mine just bought me this:

Lego has always played a huge role in my life, and is probably why I've always wanted to be in Aerospace Engineering!

Which space shuttle kit is that? It looks a lot more accurate than the current City one.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
This is it right here:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=10213-1

CADPAT fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 26, 2011

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Lord Gold posted:

I googled this because I didn't believe you. But it's true. Good grief, Playmobil is loving morbid. They should just go ahead and make a Pyramid Head while they're at it.
Playmobil has always been a little subversive. There's a devil Playmobil along with some stereotypically wrong African "savages". But all the worst best can be seen here in the 17 least appropriate Playmobil sets for children.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

Blacktron supremacy

(source)

This... this is AMAZING :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Lord Gold posted:

Speaking of cool space type swooshy things, some custom dropship I found GISing for Blacktron:

:aaaaa:

loving hell...they made Blacktron 2 cool. I'm calling everything I know into question. Is up down? Is black white? IS TRANS YELLOW FLUORESCENT GREEN?!?