Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

IRQ posted:

Well it's anime style so no poo poo.
So if I was to watch an anime movie, I wouldn't be able to tell the characters apart unless they carried props around all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Pretty much. Anime is poo poo.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The art could be much better but this isn't anime at all. Goons have the worst ability to discern art influences.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Brannock posted:

The art could be much better but this isn't anime at all. Goons have the worst ability to discern art influences.

Uh like half of those people are holding swords. Have we forgotten the legacy of the great katana?? Let's give the great land of Nippon it's due in this case, imo.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

savinhill posted:

So if I was to watch an anime movie, I wouldn't be able to tell the characters apart unless they carried props around all the time?

Props, distinctive hairstyles, or trademark clothing, yes.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It depends on the art style. Osamu Tezuka's characters blend together a lot, same with Akira Toriyama. Playing Dragon Quest 8, you'd swear Goku forgot how to charge his ki and got a haircut.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It depends on the art style. Osamu Tezuka's characters blend together a lot, same with Akira Toriyama. Playing Dragon Quest 8, you'd swear Goku forgot how to charge his ki and got a haircut.
I have to agree with this. If that picture were drawn in the style of Junji Ito, the facial features of characters would be easily distinguishable.

I would like to have an ASoIaF comic drawn by Junji Ito instead of that massive pile of dire capybaras from some months ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is Cersei the one tinted green with the wine glass (sorry, goblet) there?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Is Cersei the one tinted green with the wine glass (sorry, goblet) there?

Yeah I think so. Who the hell are the big guy and the little kid on the left side near the tree with the weirwood shield? I seriously cannot remember there being a little bald boy.

I thought it could have been Brienne and Pod but it was a bit of a wild guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I think so. Who the hell are the big guy and the little kid on the left side near the tree with the weirwood shield? I seriously cannot remember there being a little bald boy.

Dunk and Egg.

The Weirwood shield is the shield of the knight of the Laughing Tree and it's behind the one we're guessing is Lyanna, so it's pretty obvious what theory the artist subscribes to there.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 25, 2011

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Ahh nice, thanks. Never would have gotten that.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Brannock posted:

Please tell us what other mediums have influenced this artist's style, then.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Let's aim for just one session, this Friday night (or did my cat is norris mean next Friday night?), for the Neovella event.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

my cat is norris posted:

Please tell us what other mediums have influenced this artist's style, then.

Modern American comics.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Azure_Horizon posted:

Modern American comics.

I can see that I guess. The color and shading are more reminiscent of animation, though, and the facial construction/expressions/whatever are also more cartoony than comic booky -- in my opinion, anyway. Not that it matters, because anything like that gets called anime around here.

"Dead Man Posting posted:

Let's aim for just one session, this Friday night (or did my cat is norris mean next Friday night?), for the Neovella event.

I can do this Friday, Oct. 28!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

I can do this Friday, Oct. 28!

Yeah thats fine for me also, I probably won't be able to start until 7 or 8pm eastern though.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Ill be working all night in friday... I guess Ill have to input my genius another time.

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.

savinhill posted:

Yes. Why do you think they give anime characters such ridiculous hair?

It's so you can tell them apart.

See Akira Toriyama's art style which consists of drawing the same character with different hair styles over and over and over.

Similar thing is happening here.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
Ok, I got everybody but

The... thing in the very top left, the blond guy to the right of the White Walker, the flaming green guy, and the ninja to the left of Joffrey.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

TheLoquid posted:

Ok, I got everybody but

The... thing in the very top left, the blond guy to the right of the White Walker, the flaming green guy, and the ninja to the left of Joffrey.

The flaming green guy in the bottom right is the Mad King Aerys, the flaming green guy with the sword next to Brienne is probably Berric or Thoras. The ninja to the left of Joffrey is Ser Illyn Payne, according to the artist. I assume the thing to the very top left is just a white walker. The artist says the one "in front of the white walker" is Qhorin, but I'm not sure which one they mean so whether it applies to the blond guy, I don't know.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
That art style looks like a lot like Joe Maduriera or whoever does those Wheel of Time comics, to me.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

:( :(

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, to be fair, GRRM has all those other things going on in his life. Writing fanfic about pulp scifi works, lambasting people who write fanfic about his works, proofing tiny pewter sculptures of naked 13-year-old girls, going to conventions, talking about how important work ethic is, having Ty hand-blow new vaccuum tubes for GRRM's ancient WordStar, taking the Rascal back and forth between his two houses, and so much more.

JK Rowlings just had to write an incredibly trite story about a little boy whose foster family is hella abusive and fantasizes about being a special wizard who saves the world because he lives an empty, meaningless existance as their house boy.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Well, to be fair, GRRM has all those other things going on in his life. Writing fanfic about pulp scifi works, lambasting people who write fanfic about his works, proofing tiny pewter sculptures of naked 13-year-old girls, going to conventions, talking about how important work ethic is, having Ty hand-blow new vaccuum tubes for GRRM's ancient WordStar, taking the Rascal back and forth between his two houses, and so much more.

JK Rowlings just had to write an incredibly trite story about a little boy whose foster family is hella abusive and fantasizes about being a special wizard who saves the world because he lives an empty, meaningless existance as their house boy.

Mind blown. Harry Potter happened entirely in the dilapidated mind of an abused boy as he slowly succumbs to sensory deprivation in a closet under the stairs.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Was Ving Rhames in the Harry Potter movies?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

I think you just made me actually like the Harry Potter series.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

You forgot the copious amounts of food, glorious food that the man eats. What little spare time he has is probably spent between that and not shaving.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Holy poo poo... I finally just finished the book. I got the book on release day and just now finished it. Nothing happened, that was by far the most boring book in the series. Is this what I waited five years for? They should have called it "A Chat with Dragons". It was one long book of people planning to do something with nothing actually getting done. GRRM Strikes again!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wonder how much it'd cost to get a custom printed hardback of adwd with the only difference being an added "snap" after quentyns "oh"

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Throwdown posted:

It was one long book of people planning to do something with nothing actually getting done. GRRM Strikes again!

Occupy with Dragons

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Throwdown posted:

Holy poo poo... I finally just finished the book. I got the book on release day and just now finished it. Nothing happened, that was by far the most boring book in the series. Is this what I waited five years for? They should have called it "A Chat with Dragons". It was one long book of people planning to do something with nothing actually getting done. GRRM Strikes again!

"Nothing happened" is by far the worst and least factual criticism levied at the book.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Throwdown posted:

They should have called it "A Chat with Dragons".

Given that Dany basically did nothing and Aegon was involved in about three conversations, while the actual dragons were locked in a gigantic cell before escaping and burning some people for one chapter (except for Rhaego, who hosed off, reappeared draconis ex machina and then hosed off again), I'd say "Some Chats About Dragons" would be more accurate.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
GRRM's My feets be draggin'

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It's a llllot like the bulk of A Clash of Kings, really, it and Feast both (which makes sense, of course). A lot of movement, not much anything else. Only without the Blackwater payoff.

poo poo is exhaaaaaausting.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Oh, man, Battle of Blackwater's gonna be sick as hell when they get to it on the show.

That's probably the problem people have with Feast and Dance, actually. The lack of giant sick-rear end payoffs. No Blackwater, no Red Wedding, no beNedding, just... dangling character threads.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I don't know how people can say Clash is a lot like Dance and Feast. As far as a large new group of players in the game, Clash has Stannis's people and they're involved in the central story arc right from the get go. Feast and Dance introduces people and places we've never seen before, and if they tie into the central plot, it takes them forever to do it. Also, Clash had it's own self contained story arcs that were concluded by the book's end, while in Feast and Dance the plot sorta just wanders around and peters out at the end of the book.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh, man, Battle of Blackwater's gonna be sick as hell when they get to it on the show.

That's probably the problem people have with Feast and Dance, actually. The lack of giant sick-rear end payoffs. No Blackwater, no Red Wedding, no beNedding, just... dangling character threads.

If that's only what you're looking for, you might want to consider reading some other Fantasy novels by a different author

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

As a book, Dance really needs a Winterfell siege pay-off. It has to be the big event that the publisher made GRRM drop from the book.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Junkenstein posted:

As a book, Dance really needs a Winterfell siege pay-off. It has to be the big event that the publisher made GRRM drop from the book.

I thought it was somewhat fitting that the end of Jon's chapters was him riling up a bunch of awesome characters to go kick fuckin' rear end on the books emerging villian who just called him out, looking like something awesome is about to happen and then a bunch of dudes stab him to make sure it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

I don't think Westeros is in a state where such payoffs would be possible. The War of the Five Kings is settling down and, really, splintering. So many different groups are rising up that it's less a war and more total societal downfall. I don't see much in the way of big payoffs until the Others get past the Wall and the dragons come to Westeros.