Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

Okay, I got it now. In GTA5 you play a native american hell bent on taking your country back from those drat whities. You don't play the game in a single city but instead across all of America (Hawaii in the very beginning of the game and Alaska in the surprise final mission of the game) and you visit every major city to cause mass destruction in a variety of ways. Your main weapons include bows and arrows, tomahawks and arrows with grenades sticking out of the end. When you're low on health you can do a rain dance that brings a healing rain over you. Oh and you have the special power to drive a car by sitting on top of it. Also there's dinosaurs now and you start the game with the jetpack from San Andreas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

moms pubis posted:

I loved the cop evasion system in CW. It's the only game in the series that actually rewards engaging the cops rather than just running away from them, and if they refined that system and included it in V it would make me very happy indeed.

I'd like to see a combination of the Chinatown Wars and the GTA IV evasion systems. Depending on the situation you can either try to escape or try to gently caress up the cops.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I just want a GTA protagonist to be cool again.

Signed

Mr Vercetti

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vince Videogames posted:

Okay, I got it now. In GTA5 you play a native american hell bent on taking your country back from those drat whities. You don't play the game in a single city but instead across all of America (Hawaii in the very beginning of the game and Alaska in the surprise final mission of the game) and you visit every major city to cause mass destruction in a variety of ways. Your main weapons include bows and arrows, tomahawks and arrows with grenades sticking out of the end. When you're low on health you can do a rain dance that brings a healing rain over you. Oh and you have the special power to drive a car by sitting on top of it. Also there's dinosaurs now and you start the game with the jetpack from San Andreas.

You just described Saints Row 3.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Boba Phat posted:

I'll settle for them just removing the endlessly annoying "Let's-play-darts-kuzin" social mechanics. Jesus, what were they thinking?

You could turn off social calls in 4 and they were practically non existent in the DLC so I wouldn't be concerned.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really hope they return to the GTA:SA style of gameplay. IV was fun, but too serious. I loved the huge world of SA, and it has gotten the most replays of any of the 3D GTA's.

EDIT: Wikipedia:

quote:

On 25 October 2011, Rockstar changed their homepage to display the logo for Grand Theft Auto V with the 'V' stylized like a British £5 bank note.[18] Nothing about where and when the game takes place, no platforms or date were mentioned, nor which Rockstar-based studio will be making the game.

Maybe GTA:UK???

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 25, 2011

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Sounds like wikipedia nonsense to me, the 5 pound notes I see on a Google search don't have anything close to the font shown on the GTA site.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Yeah, I have a couple of five pound notes, and there's no "V" I can see. Sounds like bogus stuff.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Rockstar has reminded me why I hate their marketing hype style. Because it always loving works.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Grand Theft Auto Megathread - Announcement of an announcement of an announcement

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

LAWLandMine posted:

You just described Saints Row 3.

I guess this is just me subconsciously admitting that I cannot avoid buying that game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Himuro posted:

Rockstar has reminded me why I hate their marketing hype style. Because it always loving works.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Grand Theft Auto Megathread - Announcement of an announcement of an announcement

Pretty much. I told myself, no don't get burned after GTAIV. Then GTA TBOGT came out and I was like okay Rockstar still hasn't lost it.

I see this logo. All I can say is about drat time Rockstar. About drat time.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009

Kevyn posted:

Sounds like wikipedia nonsense to me, the 5 pound notes I see on a Google search don't have anything close to the font shown on the GTA site.

That's quite a new fiver, I can't remember the old style but the changeover happened in my lifetime (I'm 21) so it's still a distinct possibility that we'd have one set in England. One set in London in the 1960s revolving around the Krays and people would be awesome but I'm still leaning towards a Vegas setting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Iacen posted:

Yeah, I have a couple of five pound notes, and there's no "V" I can see. Sounds like bogus stuff.

There's a V in five, obviously.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I would like to see a GTA:UK, but I wouldn't want to waste a GTA on it, if that makes sense?

Then again, it would be great to play. It really depends on how R* would pull it off.

The getaway was good, but it had it's limitations of course. A free roaming London Ripoff would be a nice change of pace.

It's better than some stupid suggestions like GTA:Prague.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The whole GTA location discussion reminds me of the GTA forums flamewars a bit back when GTA IV was announced. It stemmed to the UK sucks, UK humor sucks, etc etc. This is America, type poo poo etc. . Although I will admit, I at first was severely disappointed when IV took place in Liberty City. I rather not it be a remake of a city we already visited.

As for UK?.. I don't know. When I saw The Getaway, I did not like what I saw. The streets were too compact. So that's probably my only negative thing I would nitpick about it being in the UK (based on one game as terrible as that may be). I like having big open space to drive around. I'm sorry if I made a huge general assumption about the UK that may be wrong, but honestly the Getaway is probably the only game I've played based on the UK.

I mean there was GTA London, but that was overhead. I just hope we have a sociopath protagonist this time. By no means does he have to be anything like the SR boss. Someone like Tommy Vercetti still fits in GTA series. I thought Nico was at least a good try but he fell flat near 1/4ths of the way. Make it someone who has already established themselves in the mob or something. A corrupt police officer. Something. As for the gender of the protagonist, if it's female, it better be like Catalina otherwise I"m not touching it. :colbert:

That's another peeve of mines. People going oh, we should have a female main character, just to make it feel new. No, that makes it feel like a gimmick. I rather they do it so it doesn't focus it just because it's a female. Something akin to SR would be fine.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 25, 2011

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I'm holding out hope for a new city all together. A Chicago, Philadelphia, or something like that. Perhaps even Baltimore, GTA V: The Wire, anyone?

That said, if it were to be an already done location, San Andreas would be pimp.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Capn Beeb posted:

Simple Native Trainer is a must if you enjoy screwing around and having vehicle spawns hotkeyed and want to make your car go 500MPH and weigh 20 tons and other assorted goofy poo poo.

Here I thought maybe 100+ posts about mods for GTA4 was the reason for all the posts, but I guess GTA5 is cool too.

Totally going to check that mod out. I never finished my legit attempt at the game, so now I gotta wacky cheat my way through it.

Excursus
Sep 11, 2004

Mysterious vagina tentacles will devour my penis

Shindragon posted:

A corrupt police officer. Something. As for the gender of the protagonist, if it's female, it better be like Catalina otherwise I"m not touching it.

I remember some variation on this idea coming up when GTAV was first rumored at the start of the year. I love it now as much as I did then - the corrupt police thing would be a fresh angle for story/plot, and the gender change (if much less likely) is a great touch that will irrationally anger 12-year-olds everywhere.

Seems like a win-win to me. Which means neither will happen :(

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
The roman numeral 5 is obviously because it's going to be a Fallout crossover. You play as a Legion Frumentarii who was sent across a portal to a new world to prepare it for the coming invasion by the remnants of Caesar's armies. You do this by taking over the criminal underworld and fomenting unrest everywhere you go.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I really hope that whoever makes the GTA5 thread makes the thread title "BIG loving GREEN V = GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY".

I chuckle outloud to myself every time I see that MW3 thread on the front page, and it's pretty appropriate here too, if not more so.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 25, 2011

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I hope it has a neat collector's edition. I pretty much never ever ever bother with those but the GTA4 one was great. Still have the keychain, still have the storage box, still use the duffel bag. The only other video game swag I have is the Max Payne mousepad.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I am so e-bonered for GTAV, I still think IV and it's expansions are the best games I've ever played. Even with the obvious faults, so-so story and characters and weird omissions, everything that IS there is just off the loving charts for quality and pure effort. If they make even half the kind of jump that they did from 3 to SA for this it's going to wreck my life.

Edit: I still use the key chain and lockbox but the zipper on my duffel bag broke :(

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

The Rev posted:

I'm holding out hope for a new city all together. A Chicago, Philadelphia, or something like that. Perhaps even Baltimore, GTA V: The Wire, anyone?

That said, if it were to be an already done location, San Andreas would be pimp.

Wherever it is, the logo makes me think it'll be a financial center of the GTA world - that has to be intentional. There's a lot of space for Rockstar to do their brand of social commentary on what's happened since the release of GTA IV.

I'm eagerly awaiting taking missions from a coked out rear end in a top hat investment banker trying to protect/move his assets to keep from getting caught.

Edit: Or maybe being that coked out investment banker.

monoptic fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 25, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
One thing GTA V can borrow from the Saints Row series is the option to grapple and throw people.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I'm betting the biggest reveal in the trailer is going to be that they're using the LA Noire facial tech and they landed a big name actor for the lead.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I like how they clarified that V stands for five.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm betting the biggest reveal in the trailer is going to be that they're using the LA Noire facial tech and they landed a big name actor for the lead.

Hopefully it's Robert Pattinson so I can spend day after day running him into traffic.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I hope this game is like Breaking Bad. You play as a successful businessman that loses his job/home/wife and then gets diagnosed with cancer/another disease, and then you get thrown into a downward spiral of crime and other ridiculous situations in order to survive.

Also, holding out for DC/Baltimore. But a new version of Vice City would be amazing too.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

the truth posted:

I'm sure there's enough people out there that don't know what a GTA is. They want everyone with and without game consoles, alive or dead, and everyone even remotely interested in entertainment to buy and play their game. They want everyone to understand, "HEY THIS IS THE FIFTH GAME, OK?"

Nothing really wrong with that.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

the truth posted:

I love the idea of people calling GTAIV GTA EYE VEE.

monoptic
Apr 8, 2004

MAGNICIFENT!

Funholy posted:

I hope this game is like Breaking Bad. You play as a successful businessman that loses his job/home/wife and then gets diagnosed with cancer/another disease, and then you get thrown into a downward spiral of crime and other ridiculous situations in order to survive.

Also, holding out for DC/Baltimore. But a new version of Vice City would be amazing too.

The campaign starts here for Aaron Paul as the protagonist.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

dvorak posted:

I'm sure there's enough people out there that don't know what a GTA is. They want everyone with and without game consoles, alive or dead, and everyone even remotely interested in entertainment to buy and play their game. They want everyone to understand, "HEY THIS IS THE FIFTH GAME, OK?"

Nothing really wrong with that.

Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Then why don't they write grand, theft, and auto on the G, T, and A, respectively? Because it's stupid. Either way, I can't wait to buy GTA V Five when it's $30 thirty dollars.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope it is Atlanta. Gta in the south would be hilarious.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Funholy posted:

That would own.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Vince Videogames posted:

I love the idea of people calling GTAIV GTA EYE VEE.

I worked for a spell at GAME. I had customers coming in and asking for GTA Ih Vee.
"What, you mean GTA four?"
No, they wanted GTA Ih Vee.
"Alright, here you are. One copy of GTA FOUR."

Roman numerals are apparently too hard for people to grasp nowadays...

(Edit: Of course, that wasn't nearly as bad as the kid that asked me for a copy of Codfore. Call of Duty 4. Codfore. Jesus.)

Iacen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 25, 2011

Holy Cow
Dec 8, 2006
Really, really hope this game is set in London. I have a feeling it'll be Vice City, but I can hope.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Iacen posted:

Roman numerals are apparently to hard for people to grasp nowadays..

That is stupid because a lot of watches have roman numbers...
Nvm people use phones for their clock now. :(

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like the Breaking Bad idea, especially if the opening mission is a ten minute day in the life of type thing with the credits on the screen while you do your humdrum stuff before it all comes crashing down and you do something crazy.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Iacen posted:

I worked for a spell at GAME. I had customers coming in and asking for GTA Ih Vee.
"What, you mean GTA four?"
No, they wanted GTA Ih Vee.
"Alright, here you are. One copy of GTA FOUR."

Roman numerals are apparently too hard for people to grasp nowadays...

(Edit: Of course, that wasn't nearly as bad as the kid that asked me for a copy of Codfore. Call of Duty 4. Codfore. Jesus.)
I thought "Cod four" was a pretty acceptable way of shortening that title. :confused: If I was asking for it in a store I would say the whole title, but still...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Zedd posted:

That is stupid because a lot of watches have roman numbers...
Nvm people use phones for their clock now. :(

True story, I recently stopped wearing my watch because I could just check my phone or car clock, and I found the watch distracting as I was driving. I was going to the cinema with my buddies and out of curiosity asked how many of them still wore watches.

Out of about 6 people only one of them had one on, and only then that was because he lost his phone.

I call GTA4 GTA Ihv. Not Eye Vee, Ihv. Don't ask me why but I can't read the IV as anything other than that.

• Locked thread