Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DogDodger posted:

Which track and with which group?

NJMP, thunderbolt track. Going with team promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winstor
Sep 20, 2009
Bought my car some 6 pot Brembos, with 355mm slotted rotors.

Things are huge!

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Mach 1 grill delete and chin spoiler, and chrome-backed lights. Gives the car a new stance.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, I thought stance dealt with suspension, like ride height and camber.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Hello, fellow grill delete / chin spoiler, owner! Stance is all about ride height, and camber degree (if that is your thing)

To get the stance you have to do real suspension mods, In my case my goal is to add everything that Maximum Motorsports makes and put it in my car!

My car had the Bilstein shocks/struts, H&R springs, C/C plates, Full length Subframes, and this stuff below was recently added.

You are looking at adjustable lower control arms, and a panhard bar.

Then you can have a car that ends up looking like this.

Next years mods will be the torque arm and coil overs!

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

DropShadow posted:

Hauled a massive Ariens snowblower home in my lowered Audi wagon while a dude with a Tahoe couldn't make the exact same model fit in his SUV and had to rent the Home Depot truck to take it home.

While this is awesome and all I really don't see how it's possible that he couldn't fit something in his truck that you could in your car, unless he couldn't move the seats or the back was full.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Flogged the poo poo outta it.

Wife and I did a 2 day track event, 8x25min sessions a day on the car for 2 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ferqJxcvh4&hd=1

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I love passing Corvettes.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
To be fair my wife just got off the track so my tires/brakes were already up to temp. I don't think he caught back up to me though.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

winstor posted:

Bought my car some 6 pot Brembos, with 355mm slotted rotors.

Things are huge!

What the hell do you drive that needs 6 pot brembos?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Judging by the Vegemite, stopping your ute after a drunken burnout can be a little sketchy. I'm sure big brakes help.

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
Thanks for noting that. Stance was not the right word. I guess I could say it gives the car a certain boldness?

Also, nice car, kalvick.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

SlimManFat posted:

Thanks for noting that. Stance was not the right word. I guess I could say it gives the car a certain boldness?

Also, nice car, kalvick.

thanks, if you do more suspension work instead of engine modifications, you can get a real kick rear end autocross car. which I am going to see about doing next year!

winstor
Sep 20, 2009

shodanjr_gr posted:

What the hell do you drive that needs 6 pot brembos?

Ford Facon XR6 Turbo. Weighs roughly 1700kg (3700lbs), so the 355mm rotors should help with repeated stops. The caliper can also take up to a 405mm disc if I ever feel stupid enough.

Oh and why not :)

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009
Got the ECU in the Evo reflashed.
Went from 152kw atw (about 205hp)on 17 psi to 199 kw (~270 hp) on 21 psi.

Would have been good to crack 200kw but holy poo poo the cars woken up now. Be interesting to see what sort of times it does down the quarter. Should have a 12 in it I reckon.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
Yesterday: put on winter rims/tires, put in winter floor mats

Today: Cleaning my summer wheels up, then possibly a headlight restore

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW
Well, the previous owner was a loving pig so the interior was a mess, so I gave it a decent but not comprehensive cleaning. Anyone who said keeping a black interior clean is easier than keeping a tan interior clean is clearly insane. But that's not terribly interesting to look at, so I gave it a decent wash and scrub as well.

2011-10-23_16-21-55_177 by mwellscubed, on Flickr

2011-10-23_15-24-50_260 by mwellscubed, on Flickr

2011-10-23_15-48-03_977 by mwellscubed, on Flickr

2011-10-23_15-47-45_398 by mwellscubed, on Flickr

2011-10-23_15-26-05_945 by mwellscubed, on Flickr

By the way, any tips on how to get dirt/hair from under seats? I have a handheld vac and I think it's too weak to get the job done, even with precision attachments.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Unfroze the right parking brake assembly on the Grand Pricks.

Then as I parked it from the test drive, reflexively set the brake and stuck it again. :|

*dejectedly drags floor jack back out of garage by handle*

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

mwells_cubed posted:

By the way, any tips on how to get dirt/hair from under seats? I have a handheld vac and I think it's too weak to get the job done, even with precision attachments.

Duck tape wrapped around your hand, sticky side out. Pat firmly. Optional: latex glove under the tape to keep off cooties.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
If you want to seriously clean under there you can unbolt your seats and remove them/ push them out of the way.

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"
Did an initial test fit of the new gas tank, may need to tweak the neck a bit. Also, since they were out I gave the panhard bar and panhard bar brace a coat of Rustoleum semi gloss black.

mwells_cubed
Aug 7, 2003

WOW

Bucephalus posted:

Duck tape wrapped around your hand, sticky side out. Pat firmly. Optional: latex glove under the tape to keep off cooties.

This is a terrific idea I seriously would've never thought of, thanks! :)

jeff8472 posted:

If you want to seriously clean under there you can unbolt your seats and remove them/ push them out of the way.

And this will probably be happening in the spring, most likely.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Winter tires and oil changes. Got some 1-seasons in good shape with a prior purchase on 5x110s which are ugly and missing caps, but who cares?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bucephalus posted:

Maybe use gaffer tape rather than duct tape since the adhesive isn't as strong (or masking tape if all else fails).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sockington posted:

Maybe use gaffer tape rather than duct tape since the adhesive isn't as strong (or masking tape if all else fails).

I usually use gorilla tape, it's about the tackiest poo poo you can get.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Got in the truck for the first time in 3 weeks, started up just fine, put one foot on the brake and released the parking brake.. Psssshhhhh, brake pedal to the floor and the pissing on a concrete floor sound that come when rust kills a 20 year old hardline.

:argh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

evilnissan posted:

Got in the truck for the first time in 3 weeks, started up just fine, put one foot on the brake and released the parking brake.. Psssshhhhh, brake pedal to the floor and the pissing on a concrete floor sound that come when rust kills a 20 year old hardline.

:argh:

Hey, it happened in your driveway, not on the road. That's good, right?

Of course, only a single loop brake system?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Accidentally neutral dropped it--had it floored at speed, I tried to go from 3 to OD, swished right past into neutral, then panicked and threw it back to OD while the tach was pegged. So dumb, second time I did the exact thing too. There were a couple awkward lurches as undoubtedly terrible things happened to the torque converter clutch.

I think I'll do a manual swap when it dies so I can practice moneyshifting.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
I'm confused. You were trying to shift your automatic manually?

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Xy Hapu posted:

Accidentally neutral dropped it--had it floored at speed, I tried to go from 3 to OD, swished right past into neutral, then panicked and threw it back to OD while the tach was pegged. So dumb, second time I did the exact thing too. There were a couple awkward lurches as undoubtedly terrible things happened to the torque converter clutch.

I think I'll do a manual swap when it dies so I can practice moneyshifting.
F-body?

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

Geirskogul posted:

Hey, it happened in your driveway, not on the road. That's good, right?

Of course, only a single loop brake system?

The line going to the back axle went out, the front brakes would hold it and stop it in the driveway but low pressure was alarming. It's a 93 Chevy K1500 so I assume its a duel loop.

Might take it to a local shop, I spent more time cussing on the last line I replaced than actually getting anything done.. I should to all the hard lines this time, havnt look to see excalty where its leaking but I assume its about a inch from the last section of line I replaced on it.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

DogDodger posted:

I'm confused. You were trying to shift your automatic manually?

3 on my auto makes it hold gear longer before upshifting to get at the torque at higher rpms and also to waste a ton of fuel. But it won't go to 4th/OD until you switch to D. Hence switching back and forth depending on whether I need to go fast or go fast fast. Conceptually like some kind of retarded manual.

It does have a separate manual mode though which works exactly as you'd think. An autistic manual?

CornHolio posted:

Over the weekend I changed the oil and air filter on my E36. I had hoped to do the cabin filter and belts but I ran out of time. Also I think my A/C belt tensioner is stuck (or I just didn't have a long enough tool for the leverage required).

Probably a bit late but are you sure it's not just a pulley with an off-center mount for adjusting the tension manually? That's how it is on my car, where other e36s have the self-tensioner.

wav3form posted:

F-body?

Close, old 3-series with a GM 4L-something transmission.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

This weekend brought:
Drain and refill of the brake fluid. Brake fluid that is green smells funny. Brake fluid that is green and in an old Coca-cola bottle looks disturbingly like Coca-cola.

Discovery of and resolution to fix ASAP the horrible problem with my rear driver's side tire:

Those tires date to 2008, if I recall correctly, which seems awfully quick for that level of sidewall rot, but whatever, I don't know how many miles are on them and they sucked when they weren't about to blow up and it's time anyway. The front tires are cupped beyond recognition on the inside shoulder and my front strut inserts and mounts are trashed so I'm trying to get them all done within a few hours of each other.

Bonus repair Sunday: I tried to go shopping and, upon turning the key to start, CKCKCKCKCKCKCKCKCKCKCK and my radio lost its time and presets. "gently caress you, car!" I exclaimed, then I remembered that when I disconnected the battery per Nissan's brake bleeding procedure, there was a buttload of corrosion that I guess I did a pretty bad job cleaning up - it started the night before when I left my friend's garage, but I guess it corroded over too much by the morning. A few minutes with a battery brush and a trip in a different car for a bit of distilled water and everything was fine, but gently caress you, electricity, for being so goddamn finicky.

SO! This week, it'll be strut inserts, mounts, and boots/bumpstops.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Did my radiator today. Very very easy, got it done in under an hour!

That's a good healthy brown, right?

Ew.

Much better!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Not quite what I did but what I will be installing this weekend on the Yaris.

I ordered a trumpet but got this instead.

So many parts! With all their powers combined they make....Captain Turbo!

I received one of the only Yaris turbo kits in the states. This is going to be an interesting install...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Podothehobbit posted:

Not quite what I did but what I will be installing this weekend on the Yaris.

I ordered a trumpet but got this instead.

So many parts! With all their powers combined they make....Captain Turbo!

I received one of the only Yaris turbo kits in the states. This is going to be an interesting install...

Holy poo poo you are awesome for turboing a Yaris. Cant wait to see the results of that.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Billy Tully posted:

Holy poo poo you are awesome for turboing a Yaris. Cant wait to see the results of that.

Yeah he might even get a whole 10hp.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I HATE CARS posted:

Yeah he might even get a whole 10hp.

Nobody said it had to make sense, just that it had to be cool and insane.

Shine on, crazy Yaris Turbo diamond.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
That's the cutest little turbo. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Ohhhh I HATE CARS i'll have you know people are making a whole 175-180 whp after the install, which doesn't sound like much but it will certainly beat the anemic 95-100 whp i'm making now haha.

Will definitely be documenting the insanity this weekend and i'll probably throw up a thread or something. Still nervous about the install but it looks pretty straightforward so here's hoping I don't screw things up too bad.

And yeah Viggen, babies first little turbo :3:

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 25, 2011