Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Stunt Rock posted:

Seriously why the gently caress would you add a loving uninstallable dice roller to your loving ROM? What the gently caress?

Hahaha what the hell?? Which ROM is this?

You should be able to manually remove it from /system/app by navigating there in either Root Explorer or a terminal emulator and deleting the APK. You'll need to mount /system as rw, either by tapping the "Mount R/W" button in Root Explorer or by doing this in the terminal window:

http://android-tricks.blogspot.com/2009/01/mount-filesystem-read-write.html

Also, this seems like as good a time as any to bring back this classic:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1065414

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Stunt Rock posted:

Seriously why the gently caress would you add a loving uninstallable dice roller to your loving ROM? What the gently caress?

It's native to WWE Sense ROM's, therefore it's in /system

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
I want to have Gingerbread on my Optimus 2x. But as always, Europe gets hosed over by LG. The G2X, the American version of the phone, got Gingerbread ages ago. But despite the fact that my Optimus 2x from Europe was released earlier, I STILL have not received an update.

There is a Cyanogen mod 7 thing for the Optimus 2x, but I am still unsure as of whether I should do it or not. Anyone who has the phone and has any thoughts about it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Torabi posted:

I want to have Gingerbread on my Optimus 2x. But as always, Europe gets hosed over by LG. The G2X, the American version of the phone, got Gingerbread ages ago. But despite the fact that my Optimus 2x from Europe was released earlier, I STILL have not received an update.

There is a Cyanogen mod 7 thing for the Optimus 2x, but I am still unsure as of whether I should do it or not. Anyone who has the phone and has any thoughts about it?
I've used it on the G2x. It breaks A2DP but was miles better than the broken G2x "Gingerbread" release (which used an unchanged Froyo kernel).

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

LastInLine posted:

(which used an unchanged Froyo kernel).

Holy gently caress. It's like they didn't even try. That's crazy.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but when I used Synergy, I pulled down the changes from SVN, added some ringtones and removed unwanted apps before zipping it up.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Stunt Rock posted:

I'm not sure who recommended Warm for EVO 3D but my god the screenshots are misleading. They make it seem like it has this normal flat theme that is just translucent, but instead it's one of those ugly overthemed pieces of poo poo like every other XDA piece of poo poo ROM.

:sigh: Back to CleanROM I guess.

I tried it as well, and I actually don't mind the theme.I did notice that Rosie was pretty heavily modified, but I always run LauncherPro, so I completely understand some hate if you run Rosie as your launcher. I only ever notice it in the notification pull-down and it's not bad, just very green.

It has a lot of Cyanogen-like UI options that allow clock removal and some Sense tweaks on the fly, which is great. All I've done for customization is Roboto, everything else is either decent or customizable from inside the ROM. Roboto is available directly from the Warm updater app.

Battery on Warm is decent, better than Clean ROM on idle. I pulled my phone off the charger over an hour ago and I'm still sitting at 97%, which is what it was when I disconnected from the charger.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I've used it on the G2x. It breaks A2DP but was miles better than the broken G2x "Gingerbread" release (which used an unchanged Froyo kernel).

A2DP? What is that? Forgive my igorance.

Edit:

Something about Bluetooth it seems. It breaks the phone's bluetooth?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 23, 2011

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

900ftjesus posted:

I tried it as well, and I actually don't mind the theme.I did notice that Rosie was pretty heavily modified, but I always run LauncherPro, so I completely understand some hate if you run Rosie as your launcher. I only ever notice it in the notification pull-down and it's not bad, just very green.

It has a lot of Cyanogen-like UI options that allow clock removal and some Sense tweaks on the fly, which is great. All I've done for customization is Roboto, everything else is either decent or customizable from inside the ROM. Roboto is available directly from the Warm updater app.

Battery on Warm is decent, better than Clean ROM on idle. I pulled my phone off the charger over an hour ago and I'm still sitting at 97%, which is what it was when I disconnected from the charger.

They modded the icons for the phone/customize/app drawer buttons and when I tried to switch to the Slate 3D theme (which owns) the custom giant green phone icon was there in place of the regular phone icon which made the whole thing look really loving ugly. :ssj:

As far as pulling from SVN on Synergy and removing unwanted items - I really shouldn't have to do that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Torabi posted:

A2DP? What is that? Forgive my igorance.

Edit:

Something about Bluetooth it seems. It breaks the phone's bluetooth?

Stereo Bluetooth (music over Bluetooth).

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Are there any roms I should try on the G2x? Currently running CM 7.1 stable, and liking it.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Stereo Bluetooth (music over Bluetooth).

Ah, I don't care about that. I'm just afraid I will brick my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Torabi posted:

Ah, I don't care about that. I'm just afraid I will brick my phone.
Don't fear that, it's pretty much foolproof. You have to use a special tool to flash the recovery and the phone isn't locked down at all so there's little (no?) risk. Honestly the phone is such a piece of poo poo I was hoping and trying to brick it and couldn't.

Just do it, it's easy as hell.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Don't fear that, it's pretty much foolproof. You have to use a special tool to flash the recovery and the phone isn't locked down at all so there's little (no?) risk. Honestly the phone is such a piece of poo poo I was hoping and trying to brick it and couldn't.

Just do it, it's easy as hell.

I really like my phone actually. Lots of people dislike but then again, it is my first "real" phone. Always had poo poo phones but now that phones are basically computers I got a smartphone.

I might do it, eventually. Will I still be able to buy apps on the market and whatnot?

Maybe I should just google that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Torabi posted:

I really like my phone actually.

Maybe you got a good one then. The 2x/G2x is a really good rig when it works. After RMA'ing my G2x 3 times and finally getting one that didn't reboot, coma or have screen bleed it was quite pleasant. I liked the design, the IPS screen was really good and the curved glass at the phone edge was a really nice touch. Its camera also blows my Sensation's out of the water. In the end the broken A2DP, GPS and battery meter finally got the best of me though.

As for your other question, yes, you'll be able to use the phone exactly as you do now but with the better stability of CyanogenMod (preferably) and more features.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Torabi posted:

I really like my phone actually. Lots of people dislike but then again, it is my first "real" phone. Always had poo poo phones but now that phones are basically computers I got a smartphone.

I might do it, eventually. Will I still be able to buy apps on the market and whatnot?

Maybe I should just google that.
Oh yeah, everything works the same as it does now except A2DP. Obviously you'll have to wipe to change ROMs but you can root without wiping so you can backup first.

But seriously the G2x is the worst consumer electronics device I've ever encountered. I can't believe it was shat on society and I still get angry thinking about it.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
I have a Motorola Triumph, a phone which seems to be getting a lot less love than other Android phones. I just rooted it- what are my options for ROMs? People are saying a lot of good things about cyanogen, but it's apparently in very early alpha for this phone and a real workable version seems to be a ways off.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Maybe you got a good one then. The 2x/G2x is a really good rig when it works. After RMA'ing my G2x 3 times and finally getting one that didn't reboot, coma or have screen bleed it was quite pleasant. I liked the design, the IPS screen was really good and the curved glass at the phone edge was a really nice touch. Its camera also blows my Sensation's out of the water. In the end the broken A2DP, GPS and battery meter finally got the best of me though.

As for your other question, yes, you'll be able to use the phone exactly as you do now but with the better stability of CyanogenMod (preferably) and more features.

LastInLine posted:

Oh yeah, everything works the same as it does now except A2DP. Obviously you'll have to wipe to change ROMs but you can root without wiping so you can backup first.

But seriously the G2x is the worst consumer electronics device I've ever encountered. I can't believe it was shat on society and I still get angry thinking about it.

The only real issues I've had with my phone wasn't even the phone's fault. It was a piece of software that I used, or so it seems. I was using Launcher Pro, which for some reason caused my phone to gently caress up badly, so I had to "format" it three times I think. (I was stubborn enough to use Launcher Pro over and over) Then I got GoLauncher and nothing has gone wrong for several months.
So yeah, I am happy with my phone. Especially for my first smartphone.

Still, one thing I find quite sad is that the 2X in Europe uses some piece of poo poo LG Launcher by default which runs at 10fps or something whilst custom launchers run at 60fps. :v:
How the gently caress they managed to do that, is beyond me.

Also about the Sensation's camera. (off topic I guess) A girl in my class has one and she figured it would be a good idea to put her phone into a sock. We told her that it might overheat if the sock is made of synthetic crap that doesn't let air pass through it.
Lo and behold, a week after she got it, she decided to place the phone with the screen on or something equally stupid, frying the camera. When you turn the camera on you get huge vertical pink/purple lines across the screen.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 23, 2011

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Torabi posted:

Also about the Sensation's camera. (off topic I guess) A girl in my class has one and she figured it would be a good idea to put her phone into a sock. We told her that it might overheat if the sock is made of synthetic crap that doesn't let air pass through it.
Lo and behold, a week after she got it, she decided to place the phone with the screen on or something equally stupid, frying the camera. When you turn the camera on you get huge vertical pink/purple lines across the screen.

:wtf::wtf:

No, seriously. What the gently caress was the reasoning behind that?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Guys, I'm still very stuck on trying to install ClockworkMod on my Nexus S. I must've read 30 "rooting guides" and help threads at this point, and I just plain don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I have the bootloader unlocked and Superuser is installed. I can boot into the bootloader and when I run:

code:
fastboot devices
I do see my serial number listed.

When I try to run:

code:
fastboot flash recovery <insert recovery file name here>
I get: "error: cannot load '<insert recovery file name here>'

Here are many of the various threads I've tried following to flash the recovery:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=875875

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=895545

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=878579

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9861928#post9861928

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-nexus-s-4g-rooting-roms-hacks/82261-how-unlock-install-super-user-custom-recovery.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1078213.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1088494

NOTE: I DID get ClockworkMod installed once...but the Nexus S apparently deletes the custom recovery on a reboot unless you rename a certain file. I have used Root Explorer to do this...but I can't figure out how to actually flash ClockworkMod again...

Any/all help someone can give me is greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I wasn't actually changing directories to where the recovery image was located. Once I realized that, everything worked just fine. *facepalm*

I now have ClockworkMod installed just fine and it persists between reboots as well. Time to FINALLY install CM7.1

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 23, 2011

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

:wtf::wtf:

No, seriously. What the gently caress was the reasoning behind that?

Don't ask me. :v:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
How can I get Google Maps to stop showing as incompatible in the market when using MIUI on my Evo 3D? I've tried 160, 180, 200, 210, 220, 230, 240, 250, 260, and 270 for lcd density but they all show it as incompatible. It's the only app I've found with the issue too.

Installing from the website doesn't trigger an install on the device, but does for other apps.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dissin department posted:

I have a Motorola Triumph, a phone which seems to be getting a lot less love than other Android phones. I just rooted it- what are my options for ROMs? People are saying a lot of good things about cyanogen, but it's apparently in very early alpha for this phone and a real workable version seems to be a ways off.

CM7 is actually in Beta now, and after using it for a while, as long as you have decent service in your area and/or don't use HDMI, it's pretty much an improvement all around. (And really, the first one's just because of a bug that can show up if you have Wi-Fi on and put the screen to sleep)

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

Torabi posted:

I've been running CM7 on my Optimus 2X since the first version and it works perfectly (including GPS and battery meter). Also, I don't use that feature myself but I'm quite sure A2DP workaround was implemented some time ago.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

white hum posted:

I've been running CM7 on my Optimus 2X since the first version and it works perfectly (including GPS and battery meter). Also, I don't use that feature myself but I'm quite sure A2DP workaround was implemented some time ago.
I've heard other people with both O2xs and G2xs say that their GPS works. Maybe I just have poo poo luck but the four G2xs I had were completely worthless with regards to GPS. It would work fine for a week, maybe two, but after that it would never acquire a signal ever. The only "fix" was to flash a new ROM or do a factory reset.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I just don't see how some of the phones were useless and others worked perfectly unless there were some serious hardware revisions as time went by.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

LastInLine posted:

I've heard other people with both O2xs and G2xs say that their GPS works. Maybe I just have poo poo luck but the four G2xs I had were completely worthless with regards to GPS. It would work fine for a week, maybe two, but after that it would never acquire a signal ever. The only "fix" was to flash a new ROM or do a factory reset.

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I just don't see how some of the phones were useless and others worked perfectly unless there were some serious hardware revisions as time went by.
Mine has also never had the reboot/turn off problem. Coworker who bought one at the same time needed 2 replacements before the third one worked (one had godawful backlight bleed, the other turned off constantly).

LG :argh:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

computer parts posted:

CM7 is actually in Beta now, and after using it for a while, as long as you have decent service in your area and/or don't use HDMI, it's pretty much an improvement all around. (And really, the first one's just because of a bug that can show up if you have Wi-Fi on and put the screen to sleep)

Well that could be a problem. I am not sure what it is, but my service with Virgin Mobile has been atrocious. It started off ok, but steadily took a nosedive, culminating in me missing an important text this weekend, because it didn't show up until 2 hours after it was sent. I have tried activating the phone a few times, the only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting the phone, which isn't an ideal solution because since you aren't receiving a text, you don't usually know you are having a problem.

EDIT: And now for a question of my own. Does anyone have any experience rooting a Motorola Cliq 2? I know it has a locked booloader, but I am seeing conflicting reports as to what actually works. I have seen some people reporting that z4root works, and then some people saying all it does is freeze up when trying to root the phone. (The fact that its a thread on XDA doesn't help make the issue any clearer unfortunately.)

Porkchop Express fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 24, 2011

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

big mean giraffe posted:

Haven't used Warm, but CleanROM is pretty good.
I also use CleanROM and I love it. Check it out at scottsroms.com

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Porkchop Express posted:

Well that could be a problem. I am not sure what it is, but my service with Virgin Mobile has been atrocious. It started off ok, but steadily took a nosedive, culminating in me missing an important text this weekend, because it didn't show up until 2 hours after it was sent. I have tried activating the phone a few times, the only thing that seems to fix it is rebooting the phone, which isn't an ideal solution because since you aren't receiving a text, you don't usually know you are having a problem.

I guess I also should've mentioned that I get better service with Virgin now (although I think they were having known outages issues when I got my phone, so that could be anecdotal). :shobon:

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

computer parts posted:

I guess I also should've mentioned that I get better service with Virgin now (although I think they were having known outages issues when I got my phone, so that could be anecdotal). :shobon:

It might just depend on the area. When I am in the Bay Area it seems to fare better, but I don't live in the Bay Area, so my shithole of a town probably gets considerably worse service. :smith:

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My wife's phone, on CM7, has started going into an infinite reboot-loop if you have the wifi on. The only way to stop it is to get into the menu and turn wifi off before the phone reboots again. Any thoughts? It seems to have started when I tried to turn wifi calling on.

It's a mytough 3g slide.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Crosspost from the Show Off Your Desktop thread: For anyone running CM7 and wanting the ICS experience now, check out this theme available on the Market (icon packs are included at the link on xda.

It's come a long way in the last week and is definitely fit for daily use now.

insularis
Sep 21, 2002

Donated $20. Get well, Lowtax.
Fun Shoe
I found an easy workaround for some of the Dim Screen of Death issues with Cyanogenmod 7.1 (at least for the Thunderbolt). If you're not familiar with this, there's an issue on some phones with CM 7 where the phone believes the screen is on, but it's actually off, and just about nothing resurrects it other than a battery pull. On my phone, it would usually happen twice a day or so, but it would usually correct itself after about 5 minutes.

All I did was create a Tasker event where when the screen turns on, I turn off Auto Brightness, turn the display to maximum brightness, and then turn Auto Brightness back on. It's worked for a few days now.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Hey guys I've been using Android Revolution on my HTC Inspire "4G" for a while and it's been great. Recently there was a major version change and the dev guy hosed up the radio or something because I'm getting tons of call drops where none existed previously. I've wiped and flashed and bitched in the threads but I'm getting nowhere and this phone is my business phone, so having it flake on me is bad.

I would like some recommendations on different ROMs you guys like. I care about stability and an ad-free and crapware-free phone, I don't really do a whole lot of theme changing or customizations. Mostly I use the thing for calls and GPS navigation.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I'm running MIUI and loving it. I just recently flashed my girlfriends phone to CM7.1 for her to try something new, and non-Sense.

She likes it, but it complaining that, quite often, the screen won't turn on when she tries to wake the phone (Evo 4G). Anyone else experiencing a similar problem to this on CM7.1?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LastInLine posted:

Crosspost from the Show Off Your Desktop thread: For anyone running CM7 and wanting the ICS experience now, check out this theme available on the Market (icon packs are included at the link on xda.

It's come a long way in the last week and is definitely fit for daily use now.

Yet another excuse to stop being a lazy babby and root my SGS2... This looks beautiful.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

eightysixed posted:

I'm running MIUI and loving it. I just recently flashed my girlfriends phone to CM7.1 for her to try something new, and non-Sense.

She likes it, but it complaining that, quite often, the screen won't turn on when she tries to wake the phone (Evo 4G). Anyone else experiencing a similar problem to this on CM7.1?

I had this on my EVO as well. It was incredibly irritating. It got better when I went from CM 7.1 RC1 to CM7.1.0.1, but it still happened occasionally.

I've since side-graded to a Nexus S 4G, so unfortunately I can't tell you if anything has happened to fix it yet, since I stopped following the development on the EVO.

enojy posted:

Yet another excuse to stop being a lazy babby and root my SGS2... This looks beautiful.

Indeed. I'm generally too lazy to mess with themes...but even this has me thinking about it.

Is just the keyboard.apk available anywhere yet? I'm curious how much better the ICS Keyboard is than the Gingerbread one.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 25, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

EDIT:

Damnit. Quote!=Edit.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

Is just the keyboard.apk available anywhere yet? I'm curious how much better the ICS Keyboard is than the Gingerbread one.

Not that I've seen. I'm hoping it's not tied to the framework.

Edit: It appears that all the ICS system dumps are odexed and the current iterations of baksmali can't deodex them.

:smith:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

eightysixed posted:

Where can I find MIUI for the Inspire 4g? I see a lot of Desire ROMs but as I understand it you have some differences between them.