Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I like that theory for entirely selfish reasons (I want Vriska alive again.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Some Strange Flea posted:

God dammit, I knew I would regret deleting it. I mean it only went to the recycle bin but it still feels bad. Not only is the snippet very quiet it is also backwards and pretty rockin'!

Any ideas whose it is? And what it might be? (boss fight oh yeah)

Saradiart posted:

Prior to the involvement of the kids, there was no Lord English although the concept of "was" doesn't really apply in the grand scheme of things. Ultimately, Lord English's entire existence is contingent on the kids.

Remember also that theirs is dependent on his too: LE is implied to be the reason (somehow) that the troll session was originally scratched. I that hadn't happened, the kids wouldn't exist. I don't think this one falls into ontological paradox territory either, since LE is implied to be outside of such things and/or have mastery over them; he utilises them, but isn't really limited by them.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

So since Dog-Tier Jade is part Bec do you think she has a running inner-monologue of "GOOD ME, BEST SELF"?

ALL OF THE SEROTONIN :buddy:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 25, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

President Ark posted:

That was mostly fan theory - nobody really knew why he was there.

Until now, anyway.

Well, we now know that Scratch does lie, but he did tell us "On his arrival, not about to repeat the mistakes leading to his banishment, he quickly obliterated all twelve planets, followed by Prospit and Derse, to weed out those who might outsmart him in the same manner." Nothing about the way Jack ended up in the Troll's session jives with that so Scratch was probably lying to us.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Radiation posted:

AA: hes still not at ease with his mortality
AA: but people like us have to be!
AA: we have to be prepared to die a thousand deaths before our quest is complete
AA: the master we serve demands it
TG: so
TG: im just one dead dave offered up to the time god
AA: pretty much

Also, why would Andrew edit Aradia's expression to make her smug? And why would he do the Ancestors background with the handmaid beforehand? Her master is Lord English. Sollux's ancestry was directly paralleled in the flash. It'd be hard to say there's no significance to it.

Anyway, that's my speculation on why I think she's probably a bad guy.

I've always interpreted that as Aradia talking about time itself. That's their jurisdiction, the "master" they serve. They have the power to travel through time, but they also have the need to maintain the time loops and prevent paradox from occurring. This is a deterministic universe, after all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thundarr posted:

At the end of the Doc Scratch interlude, we learn that Aradia (or possibly her ancestor) is Lord English's Handmaid and herald. Now that the sequence of events needed to summon LE are presumably complete, the kids and trolls are threats to be eliminated!
It is her ancestor:

"Anyway, the last of the twelve ancestors arrived a bit late. In fact, she would cross through her portal six centuries after the descendants had come and gone. There weren't many left to look after her, so she ended up in foster care."

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

King of Solomon posted:

I like that theory for entirely selfish reasons (I want Vriska alive again.)

This pretty much covers my thoughts on that theory.

So I've got to say I've seen a lot of people on the internet being apparently shocked at the revelation that Doc Scratch lies and this confuses me a little. I had always been working under the assumption that he was lying lots of the time and that it would be revealed in some dramatic way somehow. I mean god, all that time saying "No I'm not creepy," was surely enough of a give away.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

creationist believer posted:

Well, we now know that Scratch does lie, but he did tell us "On his arrival, not about to repeat the mistakes leading to his banishment, he quickly obliterated all twelve planets, followed by Prospit and Derse, to weed out those who might outsmart him in the same manner." Nothing about the way Jack ended up in the Troll's session jives with that so Scratch was probably lying to us.

It depends on how much Jack knew about the Scratch. He escaped the kids' session mere minutes before everything in it was wiped from history due to the Scratch--if he was aware of what was going on, then it would make perfect sense that he would leave (and could reasonably be said to be leaving involuntarily), and upon arriving in the troll session, immediately seek to destroy anything that might let the trolls rally to create a new Scratch.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't doubt that Homestuck as a whole is a fantastic and probably historic (in the internet sense) story, it is most certainly one of the best things on the internet right now. But looking at this flash on its own, while it's certainly very long and epic (in the actual sense of the word) and helps to spin the story's climactic buildup, it's not a particularly spectacular bit of media. Yes, it's great in that it is giving us more of the story and has cool music and is heavier on the animation, but it's nothing we haven't seen before in Homestuck. Andrew's not an animator, and it shows. All of the movement in the flash consists of stretching, shrinking, and rotating otherwise stationary objects, and it looks especially awkward when Jade is moving her arms around and moving stuff. It is essentially a long series of normal Homestuck panels with slightly smoother animation and cool music, but it doesn't really push the flash boundaries or anything.

It did have some very neato splitscreen/screen-in-screen effects--the Jack/Snowman scene in particular comes to mind. I kind of wonder if Andrew was drawing inspiration from his experiences doing the Scratch intermission and its crazy simultaneous panels everywhere. But yeah, a lot of the actual art was janky. Actually overall it was not my favorite flash; I think I prefer the more frantic jumble of action that most of the other big flashes end up being, although I definitely understand why these events needed to be invested with the extra dramatic weight that the slower, more sedate (relatively) pace gives.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ActionZero posted:

This pretty much covers my thoughts on that theory.

So I've got to say I've seen a lot of people on the internet being apparently shocked at the revelation that Doc Scratch lies and this confuses me a little. I had always been working under the assumption that he was lying lots of the time and that it would be revealed in some dramatic way somehow. I mean god, all that time saying "No I'm not creepy," was surely enough of a give away.

That could just be a lack of self-awareness. :v:

But yeah, Doc Scratch even mostly admitted to lying. The thing is, he lies by omission. You have to phrase your questions very specifically to get a good answer out of him, otherwise there is no point and you're more likely to get, well, misled.

VWVWV
Jan 19, 2010

ActionZero posted:

I know, it's always struck me as odd that I haven't heard the theory that he was totally dicking them over from day one louder than I have.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Morganman posted:

I know, it's always struck me as odd that I haven't heard the theory that he was totally dicking them over from day one louder than I have.
I kinda figured that it went without saying.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

King of Solomon posted:

That could just be a lack of self-awareness. :v:

But yeah, Doc Scratch even mostly admitted to lying. The thing is, he lies by omission. You have to phrase your questions very specifically to get a good answer out of him, otherwise there is no point and you're more likely to get, well, misled.

He even comes right out and says "I'm going to have a conversation with Rose where she is going to learn why you should never listen to strange men on the internet." dude has been doing his own thing and getting people to go along with it while laughing the whole time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Aw man, I just realised Betty Crocker Her Imperial Condescension is dead. :(

Hopefully we'll get a flashback at some point, but still.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Silentman0 posted:

Your avatar made me realize that Jade's hair is black and her dog-ear-hair is white. That'll look weird if she ever puts her hood down.

They might be symbolic or part of her outfit, much like how Vriska didn't have fairy wings when she wasn't wearing her god hood outfit.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Well, just watched it after an 8 hour work day of anticipation. My thoughts before I read through the 700+ pages of posts.

- So many heartbreaking moments. I think Sollux killing(?) himself to get his crew out of the universe takes the cake.
- It took a second watch through to realize what the hell Jade was doing with the planets. She's taking them into the new universe. Just like she promised her Denizen. :psyduck:
- WV getting impaled by Jack's hand was pretty brutal and so :(. RIP Mayor.
- Glad to see Gamzee is alive at time 0 and onwards. He needs to redeem himself for the poo poo he did.
- I knew (made a good or obvious guess) someone would go to God Tier in this flash. I just never thought it would be all other 3 kids.
- There's some amazing art. I think the ones that stood out most for me are Dave/Rose looking at each other next to the Tumor or Jadesprite looking at Davesprite.

I'm so envious of past me, he gets to see it all over again fresh.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

It depends on how much Jack knew about the Scratch. He escaped the kids' session mere minutes before everything in it was wiped from history due to the Scratch--if he was aware of what was going on, then it would make perfect sense that he would leave (and could reasonably be said to be leaving involuntarily), and upon arriving in the troll session, immediately seek to destroy anything that might let the trolls rally to create a new Scratch.

Hmm, that answer fits pretty well with both the above quote and also an earlier Scratch quote when he said "Yes, Jack will exit your session later, but this has nothing to do with the Scratch. Not directly, as you imply."

In fact, rereading his whole conversation with Rose, Scratch never says anything that outright contradicts what we just saw in the EOA flash. He never says "detonating the Tumor will destroy the Green Sun", merely that The Tumor has enough power to destroy it. The lie of omission is that it also has the power to create it. The lies of omission are really clever and I imagine they'll seem even more clever once we start getting new information from Act 6.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mr. Pumroy posted:

He needed an outside perspective so he could kill that croaky motherfucker froggy lightshow he's been aching to kill. When Karkat was telling Jade about the cancer he created he said it wasn't just like a disease that kills the body from the inside, it expresses itself in a form that leaves the body and then turns around and destroys it. That's what Jack is doing.

At first I thought it was just like, happenstance. Like he blunders into the troll session after maybe the kids banish him over there or something then he turns around and he's like oh poo poo it's that fukken frog better burst its fuckin eyeballs. But the flash indicates he was definitely planning to hop to the troll session by way of the teleporters shifting him through universes so he could kill a frog.
I always thought Jack got sent there by the kids; the overall Plan was to trap Jack in the Troll universe just before it folds in on itself, and get the trolls to the kid's universe where they'll be safe-ish.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Yeah I really don't get the "Aradia/Dave/Rose are LE's pawns now" chat, it seems like just another iteration of "Rose is turning evil/Rose is the cancer in the kids' session"/etc. People are always quick to call "okay now one of the kids/trolls is a badguy!" and it's almost never true (the exceptions being Gamzee and Eridan).

Also I totally called that the critical moment was the end of both universes, even if I didn't realize it would also spawn the Green Sun. Who could have guessed that? (Nice RGB joke there, though, Andrew.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Red2401 posted:

Oh man, this met all my expectations and then some. Poor horrorterrors, exploding and all :cthulhu:

Do we happen to know why Doc got in contact with Gamzee, apart to say they're all suckers? I'm pretty sure he gets in contact with trolls, and not the other way around. Another thing I noticed is the tadpole was flashing many colours and stuck in an 8 ball; here's to speculating the frog is Lord English. It is him.

Speculating some more, I can only hope the Vriska which beat Jack in a split timeline sees everything and arrives at the green sun at around the same time as John(or Terezi). The comic says another timeline went through Terezi's coinflip, so this could be a thing. Also, foreshadowing this:

This is actually a very interesting idea. Hussie loves his parallel images and this does seem to match the surviving trolls rocketing off to the Green Sun.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Listening through the album. Oh man is Do You Remem8er taking a bit from Lifdoff? That was the best track. Next to WSW-Beatdown.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I always thought Jack got sent there by the kids; the overall Plan was to trap Jack in the Troll universe just before it folds in on itself, and get the trolls to the kid's universe where they'll be safe-ish.

That's what Karkat implied, but now we know that the big Plan they had barely had anything to do with Jack. They were just trying to nuke the sun and escape.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 26, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Lord of Laughton posted:

- So many heartbreaking moments. I think Sollux killing(?) himself to get his crew out of the universe takes the cake.
Yeah, that poor boy seems to spend more time dying or getting grievously wounded than any other character. Though I'm eager to learn about the circumstances that got him to kill himself, I'm sure everyone will be devastated once they find out.

Lord of Laughton posted:

- Glad to see Gamzee is alive at time 0 and onwards. He needs to redeem himself for the poo poo he did.
I think he'd need to feel bad about what he'd done first.

Lord of Laughton posted:

- There's some amazing art. I think the ones that stood out most for me are Dave/Rose looking at each other next to the Tumor or Jadesprite looking at Davesprite.
Yes! That's the art I liked the most, Rose looks so cool.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/weird?before=1319553155

2nd post on this has Null amplified and reversed. Anyone recognize it??

EDIT: NSFW for some of the other stuff later on the page apparently.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 26, 2011

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So I've now watched this about a dozen times and it's really starting to bug me when Jade is collecting LOFAF for her space juggling act the animation seems to skip several frames and her arm and the planet snap to a different location. Is this happening for anyone else or is it on my end (just at the start of part 5)?

quote:

I love that picture of Rose so much. It's wonderful.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yeah, that poor boy seems to spend more time dying or getting grievously wounded than any other character. Though I'm eager to learn about the circumstances that got him to kill himself, I'm sure everyone will be devastated once they find out.
Well the facial bleeding suggests he's gonna die from the exertion needed to move the meteor. Kinda like how his ancestor bought the farmblock piloting the Empress's ship.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

First of all, holy loving jegus.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I don't doubt that Homestuck as a whole is a fantastic and probably historic (in the internet sense) story, it is most certainly one of the best things on the internet right now. But looking at this flash on its own, while it's certainly very long and epic (in the actual sense of the word) and helps to spin the story's climactic buildup, it's not a particularly spectacular bit of media. Yes, it's great in that it is giving us more of the story and has cool music and is heavier on the animation, but it's nothing we haven't seen before in Homestuck. Andrew's not an animator, and it shows. All of the movement in the flash consists of stretching, shrinking, and rotating otherwise stationary objects, and it looks especially awkward when Jade is moving her arms around and moving stuff. It is essentially a long series of normal Homestuck panels with slightly smoother animation and cool music, but it doesn't really push the flash boundaries or anything.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it immensely and I agree that Homestuck on the whole could very well go down as some sort of internet legend, and this flash serves it's purpose brilliantly. But as an actual animation it's nothing we haven't seen before.
Well yeah, the actual animation part of the animation is still webcomic quality and I don't think anyone expects it to be any better with the resources Hussie has to use. It's the complexity of the storyline and setting, strength of the characters, the amazing soundtrack, and the experimental medium that does it for me, and this flash was climax of sorts that brought all that together.

Yeah, some of the art was kinda wonky and stuff but hell if my jaw wasn't on the floor like 30 seconds into the flash.

It's all the little stuff that Hussie does to mess with out expectations that's really great - like when the view suddenly expanded during the "Red Miles" scene, I loved that.

edit: Dog vs. Postwoman :sbahj:

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 26, 2011

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

True Evil Bob posted:

2nd post on this has Null amplified and reversed. Anyone recognize it??

Should've just linked the post, some nsfw stuff in that tag :|

http://megalovania.tumblr.com/post/11907897324/null-amped-and-reversed-sounds-familiar-but

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

ActionZero posted:

So I've now watched this about a dozen times and it's really starting to bug me when Jade is collecting LOFAF for her space juggling act the animation seems to skip several frames and her arm and the planet snap to a different location. Is this happening for anyone else or is it on my end (just at the start of part 5)?

Fairly certain that's intentional.

vvvv

I wasn't criticizing him -- he's free to think it's really stupid, which is totally okay! I just think the frame skipping was on purpose as opposed to a problem on his end.

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 26, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

He's not saying the flash wasn't awesome, he's just saying ya know

Walk it back. Keep poo poo in perspective.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it immensely and I agree that Homestuck on the whole could very well go down as some sort of internet legend, and this flash serves it's purpose brilliantly. But as an actual animation it's nothing we haven't seen before.

Oh, yeah, I see where you're coming from. The actual animation itself and the movement is pretty simplistic in some ways. I'm still impressed because I'm not an animator at all and don't know what a professionally-animated piece like this would look like, but I can see why it might not look like something astounding to someone more familiar with the trade.

And I should have clarified I was talking about Homestuck as a whole when I was calling it a modern masterpiece, not just this flash. The flash itself is fantastic and easily the best one in the story, but it wouldn't be what it is without context.

Homestuck overall is what I enjoy so much; if I had seen this flash with no understanding of the story, characters, or mechanics of the universe it's all set in, I probably would have found most of it pretty nonsensical and weird and even a bit dumb, except for the art and the music. But with context, woah. It's impactful.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Don't get me wrong I like this new album but uhhh

Quality control seems a bit lacking at times. I mean, I'm 99% certain Lotus (Bloom) is a carbon copy of something else. Barely remixed if at all. I wish I could remember the Final Fantasy or whatever it's from.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I just noticed that PM brought WV's body with her to the troll's universe.

The implications of this have given me some intense hope that I'm sure is going to be crushed because I am a baby and baby hope needs crushing.

Oh god, Mr. Mayor. Come back. :(

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Quality control seems a bit lacking at times. I mean, I'm 99% certain Lotus (Bloom) is a carbon copy of something else. Barely remixed if at all. I wish I could remember the Final Fantasy or whatever it's from.

It sounds a great deal like some tunes from FF10 & 12, same instrument composition, key, and tempo but they are different songs.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Lord of Laughton posted:

Well, just watched it after an 8 hour work day of anticipation. My thoughts before I read through the 700+ pages of posts.

- It took a second watch through to realize what the hell Jade was doing with the planets. She's taking them into the new universe. Just like she promised her Denizen. :psyduck:
- WV getting impaled by Jack's hand was pretty brutal and so :(. RIP Mayor.
- I knew (made a good or obvious guess) someone would go to God Tier in this flash. I just never thought it would be all other 3 kids.

I'm so envious of past me, he gets to see it all over again fresh.

Yeah I'm totally with you on all these. I was really stunned by a lot of the moments, especially seeing the exiles die, even though they were never really as important to the story as the others. And I NEVER expected to see both Rose AND Dave go God Tier; Jade I could see, but the others, wow. Out of left field for me!

When I saw PM put on the ring, too, I immediately thought of that fanart you guys have already reposted a couple times now, and I was just blown away by that parallel. I can't wait to see those two fight it out, especially since Jack looked genuinely scared to see her (as he should be - poo poo is going to go DOWN).

I also like how in Homestuck, within a span of about 10 seconds, we can see one little detail that immediately explains or describes like a billion years' worth of time (Jack going into the lotus pod so he could pop out and kill the exiles, then go to the Trolls' session).

Buff Skeleton fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 26, 2011

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

You're recognizing it from Volume 5, which had a shorter version

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Do You Remem8er Me is lovely. Especially when the percussion kicks in.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Lotus on Volume 5, by the same artist. There's a short melody that sounds like the World Map theme from FFV, but it's kind of a stretch and only a couple of measures long.

I'm sure the Music Team have been extra-cautious about plagiarism ever since the Endless Heart incident last year.

Lazylaz art assets:
John
PM, AR, Davesprite

Walliard fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 26, 2011

FrictionlessEmu
Jan 24, 2011

Paul.Power posted:

Hey, I'm still waiting for Gardener...

*suddenly has a brainwave* It'll be on the new Vols 1-4 album, won't it.

*checks* Yep. And I already have those four albums. Well, there's a dilemma.

The three previously-unreleased songs on the vol 1-4 compilation (John Sleeps / Skaian Magicant, Gardener, and Potential Verdancy) are available for free download now, without needing to buy the rest of the compilation album. So thanks to the music team for doing that!

Anyway, the flash owns and the new album owns, but I don't have much more to add about those. I'm really perplexed by all of the "Aradia is evil" theories floating around, though. Is it possible that she's been doing things to further Lord English's plans? Sure, but so has everyone else in the comic because Doc Scratch has been manipulating them! But I don't see much malice in what she's said or done. I think that Aradia is ultimately just a confused kid just like everyone else, doing what she thinks is best for herself and her friends.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

It sounds a great deal like some tunes from FF10 & 12, same instrument composition, key, and tempo but they are different songs.

No I'm thinking something probably from FF6 or FF4. I'll have to dick around in the sound track.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

No I'm thinking something probably from FF6 or FF4. I'll have to dick around in the sound track.

The backing samples remind me a lot of the FF4 overworld music, and there's a lot of similar inspirations -- I feel like there's a bit in it taken from FF4 music like the love theme and maybe Troia's background music, but I don't feel like anything is directly ripped off so much as just inspired.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
A bit late to the party, but I really don't think Aradia is evil. She's just very fatalistic; her saying "the master we serve demands it" could just mean that she thinks everyone serves English in the end, whether they want to or not. It'd fit her character. Or maybe she does really serve English, but I'd think there would be more hints before now. Aradiabot was pissed when they others started trolling the kids because that's the source of all their problems, that doesn't seem like someone who wanted all this to happen.

Even if she is a bad guy, though, I really really doubt Dave and Rose are. I mean, if just coming from the Green Sun makes you evil, Bec -- and, therefore, Jadesprite and dog tier too probably -- would be evil. If Jade can have the powers of a first guardian without being evil, I'd bet Rose and Dave could aswell.

The horrorterrors though... I'm still not sure about them. Did they knowingly or accidentally create the Green Sun? That'll make a big difference in their motivations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Honestly, I doubt Rose and Dave have anything to do with Lord English. They were covered in that green stuff because they were just inside the Green Sun.