Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

wa27 posted:

I thought "Cod four" was a pretty acceptable way of shortening that title. :confused: If I was asking for it in a store I would say the whole title, but still...
It's a game, not a fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I feel naked without my watch, its my only accessory that I always wear; hell I still use it to check the time.

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

So Kotaku just confirmed GTA V to take place in Los Angeles/Los Santos.

And it will apparently have multiple main characters.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
My older brother got me this nice pocketwatch as a groomsmen present but I have used it all of 3 times because phones etc. Maybe if I had a suit or something...

Speaking of suits give me Deider Sach's back I want my suits damnit

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Funholy posted:

That sounds drat good, but the bolded part makes me suspicious of the truth behind it.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Funholy posted:

Exclusively? Because I'm just hoping we'll get another huge sandbox ala San Andreas with the same kind of design focus on fun.

EDIT: Also: I don't see planes working in a one-city world and I want my loving planes back :colbert:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Arguing about the location of future GTA games is literally the only thing in my life that hasn't changed in the last ten years.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

Holy Cow posted:

Really, really hope this game is set in London. I have a feeling it'll be Vice City, but I can hope.

A Vice City made in the style of GTA IV would be beautiful. Especially if they set it in the 1980s.

Zedd posted:

That sounds drat good, but the bolded part makes me suspicious of the truth behind it.

Yeah, Kotaku are mostly shitbirds. Still, a new Los Santos game would be great, even though Vice City would be more of a iconic setting.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Iacen posted:

I worked for a spell at GAME. I had customers coming in and asking for GTA Ih Vee.
"What, you mean GTA four?"
No, they wanted GTA Ih Vee.
"Alright, here you are. One copy of GTA FOUR."

Roman numerals are apparently too hard for people to grasp nowadays...

(Edit: Of course, that wasn't nearly as bad as the kid that asked me for a copy of Codfore. Call of Duty 4. Codfore. Jesus.)

On the flipside I remember going into a GAME asking for Call of Duty 5 and getting a discourse on how there is no Call of Duty 5, the intracicies behind multiple studios developing the series simultaneously, and the politics between them.

I wish I could say I had the balls to just say "So you don't sell Call of Duty 5?" and then walked out but I was getting it for someone else.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Joda posted:

Exclusively? Because I'm just hoping we'll get another huge sandbox ala San Andreas with the same kind of design focus on fun.

Doing SA like it was in the 3-era with IV's level of detail would make it way to big to design though.
If they just do extended Los Santos (little bit of countryside?) I would be happy.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Speaking of phones, I hope you can do internet poo poo on your phone in this one. Going to the internet cafe every time you have to send an email is a pain.

Also, I'm still holding out hope for a 1970s blaxploitation GTA. Someday...

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

moms pubis posted:

Speaking of phones, I hope you can do internet poo poo on your phone in this one. Going to the internet cafe every time you have to send an email is a pain.

Better yet: Either flesh the internet stuff out properly or just get rid of it entirely.

All it really was and felt like in GTA IV was a device to drive a few story elements forward and to get random car theft jobs.

Joda fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 25, 2011

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Multiple main characters?

Intriguing.

A little disappointing that it's in a city we've been already. OH well, Los Santos was a decent spot for GTA.

edit: I have the same sentiment with the email. It was annoying to keep driving to a twat center and there wasn't many. It made the car jacking feel tedious.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Funholy posted:

You know after the EFLC I have no problem with just dividing the story mode up into several characters. I care a lot more about the gameplay than having to grow to care about one specific character. And part of me hopes they DON'T get the facial recognition tech from la noire just because it supposedly ate up a ton of data and while graphically impressive, the only thing it added to the gameplay was having to try to guess when people were lying which I didn't find entertaining at all.

Also please set it in the late 90's so that people can have cel phones but most people don't care about the internet yet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I would take it with a grain of salt. Since when has Kotaku ever known what they were talking about?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Shindragon posted:

Multiple main characters?

Intriguing.

A little disappointing that it's in a city we've been already. OH well, Los Santos was a decent spot for GTA.

edit: I have the same sentiment with the email. It was annoying to keep driving to a twat center and there wasn't many. It made the car jacking feel tedious.

The lack of everything in IV was annoying. Why on earth did they think it would be a good idea to make you spend seven minutes driving to a gunshop to get body armor between each mission and that was on top of the scarcity of safe-houses and other essential services.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

the truth posted:

Your argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Then why don't they write grand, theft, and auto
Er, have you seen the logo on their website?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Coolodile posted:

I would take it with a grain of salt. Since when has Kotaku ever known what they were talking about?

When they're jacking off to some Japanese poo poo.

FreakyZoid posted:

Er, have you seen the logo on their website?

Yes, but they shouldn't cater to people who don't have the mental capacity for roman numerals. Those people probably aren't old enough to buy the game on their own, anyway.

the truth fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 25, 2011

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

Cliff Racer posted:

The lack of everything in IV was annoying. Why on earth did they think it would be a good idea to make you spend seven minutes driving to a gunshop to get body armor between each mission and that was on top of the scarcity of safe-houses and other essential services.

There's a lot of body armor pickups around town, you don't have to go to a shop.

Also one thing I really liked in 4 and the episodes was the way you could call a weapons dealer and have them meet you nearby, or in the episodes your buddy would bring you a car or a motorcycle. Definitely a feature that should stay.

Some of the other stuff like darts and bowling I could give a gently caress about. The drunk simulator was nice. I kind of knew the game had problems when I started it up, went down to the nearby amusement park and it's all closed.

Niko didn't have any kooky outfits either, that's lame. Making CJ look ridiculous is one of the most enduring gameplay elements in SA.

Wabbit fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 25, 2011

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
^
I wanted to ride that coaster so bad :negative:

Give me my silly codes back Rockstar. I want my 10x jump, flying cars, riots etc back. And please if you have bicycles let me have the mega bunny hope code. There was nothing more fun in SA than first person 300ft+ bunny hops around the world.

e: I play these game at my friends house and my computer could never run these so I will never get to use the fun wacky loopy trainers :mad:

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 25, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The biggest sin in vanilla 4 was the total lack of randomly generated missions/fights in the end game. The expansions dealt with this but then there were a few features that got cordoned off to each expansion/vanilla that you couldn't have fun with on them. And then on top of that the random fights in TLATD were invariably "dudes are standing around in this area, shoot them".

It just feels so horrible because the entire game lends itself sooooo well to those "procedural" style moments and the only way you really get to enjoy them is screwing with the police.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I'm incredibly dubious of the veracity of anything Kotaku says, even if it is from a "source close to the developers", which is like the equivalent of "my uncle works at Nintendo". But I do hope it's at least partially true, because I've been really crossing my fingers for a revisit to San Andreas.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I want to see something bright and sunny, like San Fransisco or Vice City. Also, the 70's would be pretty cool.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Wabbit posted:

your buddy would bring you a car or a motorcycle.

Or you can just call 9-1-1 for an ambulance and steal it.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Coolodile posted:

Remember when IGN confirmed the 3rd PS2 one as being called "GTA: Sin City" because Amazon UK put up a preorder page for it? :laugh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Come ooooon 1960s period piece.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Iacen posted:

I worked for a spell at GAME. I had customers coming in and asking for GTA Ih Vee.
"What, you mean GTA four?"
No, they wanted GTA Ih Vee.
"Alright, here you are. One copy of GTA FOUR."

Roman numerals are apparently too hard for people to grasp nowadays...

(Edit: Of course, that wasn't nearly as bad as the kid that asked me for a copy of Codfore. Call of Duty 4. Codfore. Jesus.)

Yeah, I heard the same story of someone else saying that as well (maybe that was you I dunno)!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I would poo poo my pants if it turns out to be an extended Los Santos. That first section of San Andreas is by far the most memorable part of the series for me.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

the Bunt posted:

I would poo poo my pants if it turns out to be an extended Los Santos. That first section of San Andreas is by far the most memorable part of the series for me.

You sully the fine name of James Woods, sir.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

the Bunt posted:

LA in real life has an awful lot of variety in geography in it, I'm totally agreed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really think this is going to involve gangs based on that logo, which does kind of assume it's going to somehow involve Los Santos. Sounds good to me, but I agree that they need to make the game look less bleak this time around.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I really want a Santos in the '80s, but all the numbered GTAs are contemporary, so.

Also, I don't really give a gently caress about LA in real life, so they can model it however they want, just so long as there's room for excursions to Fiero/Venturas/the countryside (like character-specific outings or something).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SaviourX posted:

I really want a Santos in the '80s, but all the numbered GTAs are contemporary, so.

GTA2 was in the future, wasn't it?
edit: Wikipedia says maybe...

edit2: Just checked my manual and it says "three weeks into the future", so I guess it is contemporary.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 26, 2011

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
for my inaugural ridiculous demand for GTAV I hereby put forward a wild-eyed foam-mouthed demand for inclusion of a copy the Wild Card Gym, home of Manny Pacquiao and Freddie Roach.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SaviourX posted:

Also, I don't really give a gently caress about LA in real life, so they can model it however they want, just so long as there's room for excursions to Fiero/Venturas/the countryside (like character-specific outings or something).

Better include Grove Street.

I'm GS for lyfe buster.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I just want to do missions for the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder how much SR2's success and SR3's buzz influence GTA5. Somewhere else I read about it being set in Hollywood, and the character sheets a few months ago had loony descriptions. Maybe it'll be a Beverly Hills Cop like setting.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I don't care where the game is set as long as it feels like the character progresses in their bad-assery. Vice City is the only game in the series to feel like you actually became a crime boss, or even moved up in general. Niko was a cry-baby, CJ had millions of dollars and a loving airport and jets but still couldn't stop hanging out in the ghetto.

Let me enjoy my mansion, please. Oh, and don't let my protagonist cry about shooting certain people, he/she is going to put down thousands of people violently, it's really stupid to have him/her crying and whining.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I hope it's just not only LA. SA had a pretty big country-side and a variety of landscapes and it was neat driving through all the podunk towns, seeing farms/hills/mountains etc. Not sure if that could be supported with the current engine but I just hope GTA5 isn't just city-based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Insane GTA speculation is my favourite speculation :allears:

It only just beats out the inevitable posts of "I'd love to see a GTA set in my hometown of Podunk, Michigan because"

• Locked thread