Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Garbow
Sep 1, 2011

by angerbeet

Some Jerk posted:

Goldberg's finest hour imo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJjDc9V1fGo&feature=related

The end of that when he kicks the glass in is so badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

One thing that Rey and Eddy video reminded me of - I dunno how they had the ring mic'ed up, but the slams all sounded really good in WCW.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Garbow posted:

The end of that when he kicks the glass in is so badass

Better then using his arm again. What a stupid stupid move

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

Better then using his arm again. What a stupid stupid move

That was plate glass on the limo, not plexiglass. It's different (plexiglass is actually a transparent plastic), and the plexiglass was gimmicked to give. He could have easilly used his arm in that case, with little consequence.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toffile posted:

That was plate glass on the limo, not plexiglass. It's different (plexiglass is actually a transparent plastic), and the plexiglass was gimmicked to give.

So WWE is safer then WCW. It still does not change the fact that it was a really really stupid move.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Toffile posted:

That was plate glass on the limo, not plexiglass. It's different (plexiglass is actually a transparent plastic), and the plexiglass was gimmicked to give. He could have easilly used his arm in that case, with little consequence.

Plexiglass is incredibly brittle (for that type of plastic) and you can cut yourself badly on it if you happen to break it. Are you thinking of sugar glass?

Edit: Bah, I got confused on the Goldberg glass incident. The EC pods are made of polycarbonate not plexiglass. Polycarb is much less brittle than plexi and generally safer to use when people are involved. You can still cut yourself really badly on it, I have a scar from doing so.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 25, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

So WWE is safer then WCW. It still does not change the fact that it was a really really stupid move.

Well, yeah. There were a few ways that they could done the spot and not have a chance of severe bodily harm, while getting the same effect.

This is the same company that somehow got the Junkyard Invitational underwritten.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toffile posted:

Well, yeah. There were a few ways that they could done the spot and not have a chance of severe bodily harm, while getting the same effect.

This is the same company that somehow got the Junkyard Invitational underwritten.

It is called dropping the metal pipe and thinking you can beat glass. Also ya that was an amazing match and I am pretty sure that no one who was in that match escaped uninjured.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRayPer posted:

Plexiglass is incredibly brittle (for that type of plastic) and you can cut yourself badly on it if you happen to break it. Are you thinking of sugar glass?

Edit: Bah, I got confused on the Goldberg glass incident. The EC pods are made of polycarbonate not plexiglass. Polycarb is much less brittle than plexi and generally safer to use when people are involved. You can still cut yourself really badly on it, I have a scar from doing so.

Well, I didn't exactly mean about the shards being sharp. I was talking more on its ability to shatter on impact, and that it being gimmicked to give meant that it was pretty much going to give in a few pieces. I was just pointing it out that it was more well-conceived, executed, and safer than the windshield incident.

(Hell he does end up whacking the EC pod door with his fist after kicking it.)

bobkatt013 posted:

It is called dropping the metal pipe and thinking you can beat glass. Also ya that was an amazing match and I am pretty sure that no one who was in that match escaped uninjured.

Yeah, I think we're both in pretty much perfect agreement here.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just watched the scene where Russo & Bischoff rebooted Nitro and vacated all the titles, complete with "What's the matter Sid, forget your SCISSORS?"

As stupid as it was, I kind of wish WWE would do the same sort of thing. I could really go for a refresh of some sort. Like when they first did the brand split & draft, everything felt new.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It's cool to make fun of it now, but everyone was really excited leading up to the WCW reboot. Everyone on the old wrestlingforums.com, anyway.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

It's cool to make fun of it now, but everyone was really excited leading up to the WCW reboot. Everyone on the old wrestlingforums.com, anyway.

I enjoyed it for what it was. After the dark ages of 1999 WCW, it was fun to have fresh people running around doing wacky things. I wasn't so smarky then yet though, so I could still enjoy bad booking. Ah the good old days.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

triplexpac posted:

I just watched the scene where Russo & Bischoff rebooted Nitro and vacated all the titles, complete with "What's the matter Sid, forget your SCISSORS?"

As stupid as it was, I kind of wish WWE would do the same sort of thing. I could really go for a refresh of some sort. Like when they first did the brand split & draft, everything felt new.

I disagree, there were so many things wrong with how they did that... There was no real reason to strip everybody of all the titles. The WHC was vacated 8 times within a year, it was just ridiculous and it helped contribute to how little the belt actually meant.

While this is not the complete history, it was just ridiculous how often people were stripped/awarded the World Heavyweight Championship
Oct 1999 - Sting vacates the title after Halloween Havoc after controversial finish with Goldberg
Dec 1999 - Bret vacates the title after Starrcade after controversial finish with Goldberg
Jan 2000 - Bret wins back the title, vacates the title due to Injury
Jan 2000 - Benoit vacates the title after Souled Out due to leaving/controversial finish with Sid
Jan 2000 - Sid vacates the title after controversial finish where he pinned the wrong Harris Brother (don't ask).
Jan 2000 - Nash awards himself the title
Apr 2000 - Sid vacates the title after the Russo Reboot.
May 2000 - Arquette pins Bishoff, wins WHC
May 2000 - Flair stripped of title by Russo
May 2000 - Jarrett awarded the title by Russo
May 2000 - Nash awards Flair the title
July 2000 - Hogan wins the title from Jarrett, leaves the company with it after being "Fired", Russo nullifies the match
July 2000 - Booker T wins the title

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Astro7x posted:

Jan 2000 - Sid vacates the title after controversial finish where he pinned the wrong Harris Brother (don't ask).

I really have to know more about this now.

edit: Christ, I found the video from the next Nitro that showed a recap.

What the gently caress? :psypop:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 25, 2011

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Toffile posted:

I really have to know more about this now.

From ddt digest

Gene Okerlund is in the ring. He calls out Sid Vicious.
It just goes to show you, folks. A lack of work ethic, combined with minimal speaking ability and a penchant to attack other wrestlers with weapons will get you to the top of the industry.
Gene says that Sid is on top of the world.
To his credit, Sid is actually getting a good pop.
Sid says he was on Nitro to stand for WCW.
Sid says the nWo tried to stop him and outlaw the powerbomb but came out on top anyway.
Sid says it wasn't meant to be for the nWo to come out on top all the time.
Sid says he won the WCW title but will not be happy until he wins an unconditional victory over the nWo.
Seemingly on cue, the nWo and their entourage come out. I wonder if they realize that bringing out women with the nWo negates the heel heat that the group is supposed to receive.
Nash says as commissioner he does things at times that sicken him.
Such as working a match.
Nash says that he has to abide by stipulations.
Oh, gee, how can we cheapen the title tonight?
Nash says that Sid had to defeat one of the Harris Brothers to face him later that night.
Nash shows a clip of Sid using the "outlawed" powerbomb and pinning the wrong Harris brother.
We continue with a clip of the referee counting Sid out that did not show on Nitro.
Nash tells Sid to relinquish the world title to the owner, "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash.
Nash tells David Penzer to remove the belt from Sid.
Nash says if Sid doesn't give the belt up, the nWo will come to the ring and take it.
Sid stretches his arms out as Penzer removes the belt from his waist.
Nash points out the steel cage overhead.
Nash says that Sid has a chance to regain the title in a cage match against himself and the Harris brother that was not beaten, which is Ron.
Stipulations for said match: The powerbomb is illegal, and Sid must pin Nash to win the title.
Wow, Overbooking-mania is running wild tonight.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
It's a shame that when the WHC started to mean something again, WCW was gone. Booker/Steiner did have good main event matches (for WCW's main event scene).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

It's a shame that when the WHC started to mean something again, WCW was gone. Booker/Steiner did have good main event matches (for WCW's main event scene).

The belt didn't mean poo poo in the second half of 2000. Booker became a 4 time champion in 9 months, Russo became champion, it was defended in a loving 49ers match...

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

The belt didn't mean poo poo in the second half of 2000. Booker became a 4 time champion in 9 months, Russo became champion, it was defended in a loving 49ers match...

Well, there's a match I completely forgot about.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

ChampRamp posted:

Well, there's a match I completely forgot about.
How?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Arbite posted:

How?

That picture will never get old.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Toffile posted:

That picture will never get old.

It got old a long, long time ago. If you laugh at it you are basically Vince Russo.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Arbite posted:

How?

For shame on me

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Hirams Bitch posted:

It got old a long, long time ago. If you laugh at it you are basically Vince Russo.

I prefer to believe that you're just making all your posts fit your av.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

I thought the belt was vacant going into that match, which is why David Penzer still holds a claim to the WCW title.

Also 4-time, 4-time, 4-time, 4-time champion in 9 months.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When was "GOOLDBERG!! WHY ME!!!!!" and the whole Sid's car thing.

That ruled. Was that pre suck? or during the suck period?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Arbite posted:

How?

That wasn't even the worst part of the match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kgcCUsTrc8&t=13m9s

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

LordPants posted:

When was "GOOLDBERG!! WHY ME!!!!!" and the whole Sid's car thing.

That ruled. Was that pre suck? or during the suck period?

During the suck period. There were a lot of bright spots after Starrcade '98 but that was the point where everything started to decline. I think the last WCW show I didn't watch alone was the Nitro after Spring Stampede '99. It just immediately felt smaller and sadder. Sid didn't come in until well after that.

Also I miss ddtdigest.com. Totally my favorite wrestling site back then.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was thinking, as lovely as the Seven gimmick was, I really wish they would have let it play out for at least one week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdbhZmuuaww&feature=related

Dude frickin' floated to the ring!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

My favorite part of tht 49'ers match is when Booker T goes over to hug an old woman at the start and Jeff Jarrett leaves the ring to attack him, Mark Madden just says "YEAH JEFF, BEAT THAT OLD BITCH." It's not even a heel announcer thing to say, it's just a braying jackass thing to say.

And that is Mark Madden in a nutshell.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
WIth flipping between Raw and Nitro, I am wondering how many gems like that I missed...

In my effort to watch the entire Monday Night Wars, it's taken me about 5 months to get through the first year. I'm wondering as much as I want to start skipping to the horrible stuff, I feel like I need to watch them all in order to truly appreciate it.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Oatgan posted:

And that is Mark Madden in a nutshell.

SNOOTCHIE BOOTCHIES

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
drat, Ahmed Johnson got so fat before he went to WCW that I didn't even realize that he was Big T until reading this forum 12 years later and I used to watch both Nitro and Raw just about every week during the Monday Night Wars.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

savinhill posted:

drat, Ahmed Johnson got so fat before he went to WCW that I didn't even realize that he was Big T until reading this forum 12 years later and I used to watch both Nitro and Raw just about every week during the Monday Night Wars.

I don't remember him being *that* fat, like unrecognizably so. He was always a pretty big dude. Certainly nothing like that 4x4 guy that was in the No Limit Soldiers, who legit scared the poo poo out of me.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't remember him being *that* fat, like unrecognizably so. He was always a pretty big dude. Certainly nothing like that 4x4 guy that was in the No Limit Soldiers, who legit scared the poo poo out of me.
Compare his gut from when he was in WWF to when he was in WCW.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

savinhill posted:

Compare his gut from when he was in WWF to when he was in WCW.

Okay, he's a *bit* bigger but not exactly going from Evan Bourne to Viscera. You can certainly recognize him in both.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Dancing Peasant posted:

SNOOTCHIE BOOTCHIES

Face full of stuff!! FACE FULL OF STUFF!!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

triplexpac posted:

Face full of stuff!! FACE FULL OF STUFF!!

No joke, this line almost made me quit watching wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I did enjoy Stevie Ray's complete disdain for all women, face, heel or in between.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
All women are Yaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I did enjoy Stevie Ray's complete disdain for all women, face, heel or in between.

I want to see wrestling TV parodies like that one Wrestlemania and have Stevie Ray play Senator Clay Davis in a Wire parody.