Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, I doubt Rose and Dave have anything to do with Lord English. They were covered in that green stuff because they were just inside the Green Sun.

Also, smirking is pretty much Rose's default expression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

FrictionlessEmu posted:

Anyway, the flash owns and the new album owns, but I don't have much more to add about those. I'm really perplexed by all of the "Aradia is evil" theories floating around, though. Is it possible that she's been doing things to further Lord English's plans? Sure, but so has everyone else in the comic because Doc Scratch has been manipulating them! But I don't see much malice in what she's said or done. I think that Aradia is ultimately just a confused kid just like everyone else, doing what she thinks is best for herself and her friends.

Personal theory here, but I think Aradia has been following the plans laid out by English.

English is the Lord of Time, knows all that can happen. He has Doc Scratch carry out these plans, who is omniscient to a certain point. If I remember correctly, he stated that he doesn't know everything, but within a certain length of the event chain he has clarity, and from there-on out it gets fuzzy.

So English and Scratch have this perfectly planned, the release of English is going to happen, no matter what, because they can pretty much gently caress around with time to ensure it happens perfectly, and in the end it's just a game. So how do you beat someone with that much power and fore-thought, who knows the system's rules and how it bends, and how to manipulate it?

Simple, you have to take a step outside the game then.

Aradia said they were waiting for friends there at the Green Sun, and who appears but Dave and Rose. And all three of them are "tainted" by English's power, so to speak, which is why all the fans are going "ZOMG EVIL!". But I see them as the flip-side of the heroic John and Jade, the Batman to the Superman. With Time and Sight, the powers that English and Scratch possess, they'll be able to even out the battlefield so John, Jade, and all the other Prospit dreamers (I believe all the trolls that are left are Prospit, not sure at the moment) will have a fighting chance to take him down. They may have to get their hands dirty and do it all from the shadows, but it's worth it to take him down

Basically, they know they're not going to be the big players in this game, but without them there's no chance of winning.

tl;dr: It's the Light & Dark duality stupid!

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

"you found a fistful of rice-krispies"
As someone that has listened to FF6/FF4's soundtrack countless times AND someone that is on the music team, I have to say that any accusations that Lotus (Bloom) is anything but a reference to itself are utter hogwash. Quality control? Seriously? Beatfox's composition and production are in many respects leaps and bounds above the rest of the team. You don't have to like the song, but saying something is a "barely remixed carbon copy" with nothing to back it up just comes off as antagonistic.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Radiation posted:

As someone that has listened to FF6/FF4's soundtrack countless times AND someone that is on the music team
You're in the music team? That's pretty drat cool. How long do most albums take to make by the by? Have you guys ever tried stuff with weird time signatures? I honestly haven't heard a single album in its entirety.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I'd be smirking too if I just became a god.

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly, I doubt Rose and Dave have anything to do with Lord English. They were covered in that green stuff because they were just inside the Green Sun.

I know, but quite a few people seemed to think that coming out of the Green Sun would make them evil. I disagree though.

RedMagus posted:

Basically, they know they're not going to be the big players in this game, but without them there's no chance of winning.

tl;dr: It's the Light & Dark duality stupid!

I really like this theory. It plays so well into everyone's personalities and roles in the game, it's basically perfect. :3:

Though I do think we'll be seeing more of the troll Dersites. And Vriska was a Prospit dreamer and she's dead, which also doesn't seem right (sadly, I hated Vriska). I expect dream bubble shenanigans will come into play somehow.

Cracky
Feb 11, 2007

are you one of those guys who likes big fatties and the big fatties have got big fatty dildos in their nose and they barf and they barf and its so gross.

Twelve?
I TOLD YOU DOG I TOLD YOU ABOUT GOD TIERS

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Cracky posted:

Twelve?
I TOLD YOU DOG I TOLD YOU ABOUT GOD TIERS

There are twelve god tier designs because there are 12 trolls. All the kids share a power with one of the trolls. He doesn't mean there will be 12 god tier characters.

EDIT: Though I'm really excited to see all of the designs.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Idunn posted:

I know, but quite a few people seemed to think that coming out of the Green Sun would make them evil. I disagree though.

That is a pretty silly thing to think.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I was all ready to buy some merch after the Space hoodie was announced, but then he had the nerve to add those 12 boxes and damnit, now I can't until I see them all.

Speaking of hogwash, I was reading some posts about Aradia, and the comments that she is English's minion. No way! Either Aradia has some info that we don't know yet and knows, like Feferi, that everything will be OK, or...

Aradia is the Handmaid. Just.. younger.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Lord of Laughton posted:

Aradia is the Handmaid. Just.. younger.
That only makes sense if we are going to assert that there are two independent handmaidens. Or, somehow one of the Aradias de-ages herself and becomes the other.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh hey, I just noticed, you can download the new stuff added to Vols. 1-4 for free (Gardener and John Sleeps). Good for those of us who already bought them individually! Gardener on the way woop woop

Black Hole - Green Sun has to be my favorite of this whole bunch, though. Just loving awesome. All of Cascade is amazing though; everyone involved in this music production needs to give themselves a hearty pat on the back for that. Jesus christ you people never stop amazing me.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Red2401 posted:

Speculating some more, I can only hope the Vriska which beat Jack in a split timeline sees everything and arrives at the green sun at around the same time as John(or Terezi). The comic says another timeline went through Terezi's coinflip, so this could be a thing. Also, foreshadowing this:

I like the idea, but where does it say that about the coinflip? From what I remember Vriska's Thief luck meant it could only land on her side, and the Vriska-Jack battle happened in Terezi's Seer prediction of her decision to not kill. Did that decision actually create a Beta?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I never listened to Potential Verdancy. It basically owns.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FebrezeNinja posted:

I like the idea, but where does it say that about the coinflip? From what I remember Vriska's Thief luck meant it could only land on her side, and the Vriska-Jack battle happened in Terezi's Seer prediction of her decision to not kill. Did that decision actually create a Beta?

Yes, it did. Remember, every decision creates an alternate timeline, and the alpha timeline is effectively defined by people making the correct choices.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

King of Solomon posted:

That is a pretty silly thing to think.

I figured it was less to do with "touching the green sun makes you evil!" and more with "it's visual symbolism, a cue that suggests Lord English has infused them".

But can I say the death that surprised me most in the flash was Spades Slick's? I get that Snowman was ready to die since dying to inaugurate the end of the universe was sort of the deal she struck with Doc Scratch, but what possible reason did Spades Slick have for suicide by universe?

I mean, Noir in any universe is tough to kill, so maybe he somehow escaped (nobody's dead until you see the body! And sometimes not even then) and will come back to help fight Lord English.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Dolash posted:

But can I say the death that surprised me most in the flash was Spades Slick's? I get that Snowman was ready to die since dying to inaugurate the end of the universe was sort of the deal she struck with Doc Scratch, but what possible reason did Spades Slick have for suicide by universe?

He really doesn't like Snowman. They aren't good friends, so he shot her.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Yes, it did. Remember, every decision creates an alternate timeline, and the alpha timeline is effectively defined by people making the correct choices.

Decision was maybe the wrong word for me there. I was figuring that Terezi's power, predicting the outcomes of such things, would generally prevent the creation of betas.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FebrezeNinja posted:

Decision was maybe the wrong word for me there. I was figuring that Terezi's power, predicting the outcomes of such things, would generally prevent the creation of betas.

Killing or not killing Vriska was still a decision, she just used her powers to make it a calculated one. At least, that's how I see it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Ominous Jazz posted:

He really doesn't like Snowman. They aren't good friends, so he shot her.

Yeah, but we clearly saw in the intermission that he knew that shooting her would end the universe and that he therefore wouldn't shoot her when he had the chance.

What's changed? Because if he doesn't do it, Scratch will kill him? Because he's tired of going on? Just because? He's not really a huge character or anything but it'd be nice to get some sense of why he did what he did and what significance it had.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Ok, so it's being speculated that Aradia looks smug because the Green Sun was successfully created and/or Dave and Rose are on the side of English for no reason.

Couldn't she just be looking smug because she's got 2 God Tier buds now? Considering that she probably knew that the creation of the Green Sun HAD to happen due to WEIRD TIME BULLSHIT wouldn't it make sense for her to be happy to have pulled some sort of victory from their defeat?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I just started actually listening to volume 8 and Do You Remem8er Me is making me so sad oh god why.

STOP MAKING ME FEEL THINGS.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

The art for each of these songs is just loving fantastic. Do You Remem8er Me's picture is so sad. :smith:

Now if I could only get the album art to work right on my Droid...

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Dolash posted:

Yeah, but we clearly saw in the intermission that he knew that shooting her would end the universe and that he therefore wouldn't shoot her when he had the chance.

What's changed? Because if he doesn't do it, Scratch will kill him? Because he's tired of going on? Just because? He's not really a huge character or anything but it'd be nice to get some sense of why he did what he did and what significance it had.

What's his motivation not to other than living? All his friends crew is dead, he killed all the felt, the mystery of Lord English's vault was solved, and he broke all the clocks. The only loose end is to kill the bitch who's been lording over him his whole life and who took his arm and eye.

And gently caress Snowman

edit: shut up the intermission was the best part

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

"you found a fistful of rice-krispies"

ArfJason posted:

You're in the music team? That's pretty drat cool. How long do most albums take to make by the by? Have you guys ever tried stuff with weird time signatures? I honestly haven't heard a single album in its entirety.

Check out this song I made, it's called Judgment Day. It's in 13/4 at 413 bpm.

"Awakening" on Vol 7 is in 5/4, and "The Broken Clock" on Felt is also in 13/8 or 13/4 I think.

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Red2401 posted:

Another thing I noticed is the tadpole was flashing many colours and stuck in an 8 ball; here's to speculating the frog is Lord English. It is him.

I had a similar thought seeing that is now possibly germinating in the Green Sun. Wait a second, it all makes sense!

1) Crazy rear end Frog of Unspeakable Power

2) Love of Green Felt and Puppet Minions

3) Andrews love of calling back to previous works.

Gaze upon the true form of Lord English! :eek:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Radiation posted:

Check out this song I made, it's called Judgment Day. It's in 13/4 at 413 bpm.

"Awakening" on Vol 7 is in 5/4, and "The Broken Clock" on Felt is also in 13/8 or 13/4 I think.

Radiation I remember something in the old Homestuck thread about you saying a full version of Spider's Claw would be on volume 8. Is that still in the pipeline?

Ragtimey
May 6, 2009
Bought Volume 8, enjoy every bit of it. Much respect to the music team, you've outdone yourselves again.

(In my wildest dreams, I download a remix of Cascade that makes much more use of the first thirty seconds of the song)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Reene posted:

The art for each of these songs is just loving fantastic. Do You Remem8er Me's picture is so sad. :smith:

Now if I could only get the album art to work right on my Droid...

I really like the Frog Hunt picture for the look of excitement and enthusiasm on Jade's face, the way Dave's gotten all beat up, and the pith helmet. Pith helmets are the best helmets.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Slime posted:

Ok, so it's being speculated that Aradia looks smug because the Green Sun was successfully created and/or Dave and Rose are on the side of English for no reason.

Couldn't she just be looking smug because she's got 2 God Tier buds now? Considering that she probably knew that the creation of the Green Sun HAD to happen due to WEIRD TIME BULLSHIT wouldn't it make sense for her to be happy to have pulled some sort of victory from their defeat?
The other thing is, the Green Sun was already there when Aradia first arrived (via teleporting through Jack right after her ascension). It's not like she could be smug about the "Green Sun being created"...it had already been created, from her perspective.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Man, you want to talk about sad pictures, the picture for Serenade. Radiation, admit it, Huss just loves twisting that knife, doesn't he? :smith:

Also, Lexxy has posted her concept work and contributions to the flash:

http://lexxercise.tumblr.com/

May I just say, thank god Jade didn't end up in a pseudo-leotard like in concept #1 :gonk: I agree with her on concept 5 looking the "best", somehow, though. Also if anyone thought Jade looked a little odd in certain parts of the flash, looks like that gets explained here - the "shipped" expressions were all of a pissed-as-hell Jade and it looks like The Huss was a little low-effort in changing the expression in places. :v: Some neat details on just how the animated "juggling" Jade is put together, too.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Slime posted:

Honestly I never even noticed the supposedly smug smile when I first watched it. I'm just presuming Aradia is going to have a heel turn because of the whole Handmaid thing, which wasn't introduced for no reason at all. Also since the Aradia chilling out by the Green Sun has basically been under Lord English's control for the entire lifetime of the troll universe at this point, it seems pretty unlikely that she'll suddenly say "Psyche! I was just playing possum for all this time!"

As for people saying Dave and Rose are under LE's control too, I have no idea what they're on about.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Well that was completely loving AMAZING

RE: Dave and Rose being EVIL: I think another big clue that they are NOT on LE's side now is the fact that they're not completely green like The Felt. They're just God Tier and ready to go do God Tier things with their new buddies Aradia and Sollux.

I really want to play that arcade machine in the art for Arcade Thunder (which is probably my favorite song on the album).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Thundarr posted:

Honestly I never even noticed the supposedly smug smile when I first watched it. I'm just presuming Aradia is going to have a heel turn because of the whole Handmaid thing, which wasn't introduced for no reason at all. Also since the Aradia chilling out by the Green Sun has basically been under Lord English's control for the entire lifetime of the troll universe at this point, it seems pretty unlikely that she'll suddenly say "Psyche! I was just playing possum for all this time!"

As for people saying Dave and Rose are under LE's control too, I have no idea what they're on about.

Again, it's mostly just a visual cues thing. A lot's happened and we haven't had a chance to hear anyone speak. Lots of cosmic transformations and powers are rolling around, predestination might finally be done for, lots of questions really.

Previous to this, Aradia knew a lot about what had to happen and what couldn't be avoided. She 'served' Lord English in the sense that she knew she could not deviate from the destiny that would bring him into being. We just plain don't have a frame of reference to understand an Aradia free of this fatalistic objective, but things like the Handmaiden suggest she might continue to serve Lord English even now that she's not 'destined' to.

As for Dave and Rose, they've always been the darker pair, and emerging from the green sun is just powerful imagery. If their rebirth as god tiers caused them to be in some manner corrupted or controlled by Lord English, it might be in keeping with their themes. Not to mention that Jade and John having to fight Dave and Rose, while possibly a little cliche, could make for a pretty awesome clash of titans.

I don't think anyone being on Lord English's side is likely, but until we see a few more scenes and hear some chatter it's a live possibility.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How many readers does MSPA have, anyway? I mean, I imagine it has to be a lot to melt Newgrounds in under four minutes, but how much is a lot in internet/webcomic terms? 50,000 hits? 500,000 hits?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Thundarr posted:

Also since the Aradia chilling out by the Green Sun has basically been under Lord English's control for the entire lifetime of the troll universe at this point, it seems pretty unlikely that she'll suddenly say "Psyche! I was just playing possum for all this time!"

What? No, that's just Aradia. There's only one Aradia, and the Handmaid was never anywhere other than Alternia or its moon(s).

YggiDee posted:

How many readers does MSPA have, anyway? I mean, I imagine it has to be a lot to melt Newgrounds in under four minutes, but how much is a lot in internet/webcomic terms? 50,000 hits? 500,000 hits?

1.2 million unique hits today according to Project Wonderful.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Thundarr posted:

Are you sure you're not getting the timelines/Aradias mixed up? The Aradia that we know, God Tier Maid of Time Aradia, has only been at the Green Sun since Derse was destroyed. I mean, Weird Time poo poo and all in the outer ring, but it's Aradia's ancestor that has been around "since the beginning" working for LE.

The Handmaid stuff was seemingly thrown in to tie up the loose ends with the ancestors.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YggiDee posted:

Andrew Hussie's Tumblr post on the subject before he posted it suggested Newgrounds would be hit by two million near-simultaneous hits.

EDIT: 1.2 million is the actual number, huh? Well, I guess Hussie was ballparking it a little bit, but yeah. Still a ton of people.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 26, 2011

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The thing about Aradia's smile is she either looks tranquil or smug depending on whether or not her eyes are open. It was originally eyes closed so I'm not sure how she's supposed to look.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Are you sure you're not getting the timelines/Aradias mixed up? The Aradia that we know, God Tier Maid of Time Aradia, has only been at the Green Sun since Derse was destroyed. I mean, Weird Time poo poo and all in the outer ring, but it's Aradia's ancestor that has been around "since the beginning" working for LE.

The Handmaid stuff was seemingly thrown in to tie up the loose ends with the ancestors.

Hm maybe I am mixing them up. Weird time poo poo plus a two month hiatus doesn't make this story any easier to follow!

Maybe I'm just thinking that for the drama / LE sewing despair amongst the heroes angle. But then, we still don't know how Aradia's body ended up on that quest bed. Could be that the real Aradia did indeed die long ago, and God Tier Aradia has actually been the Handmaid all along :tinfoil:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
Since there's been all the talk about Aradia being evil, I've been thinking about various things involving her, and one point was Scrath's conversation with Rose. He mentioned two ways to go God Tier, and we've seen each of our six God Tiers go one of two ways.

1) Dying as your waking self on the quest bed on your planet, and resurrecting as your dreamself.

2) Being consumed by Green Sun energy as your dreamself on the quest bed in your dream world's.

Now it's also a small sample, with only three kids dying the second way, and they just happen to involve the Green Sun. Not only that, but Prospit dreamers have only gone first way, and Derse dreamers have only gone the second way. Could the split be between dream planets as well? Granted the only time we've seen a someone try the other choice was Dave, who couldn't. We also had Scratch reference Rose in that conversation to try it, but who could say if he was lying or just knew she wouldn't do it.