Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol

Thundarr posted:

Hm maybe I am mixing them up. Weird time poo poo plus a two month hiatus doesn't make this story any easier to follow!

Maybe I'm just thinking that for the drama / LE sewing despair amongst the heroes angle. But then, we still don't know how Aradia's body ended up on that quest bed. Could be that the real Aradia did indeed die long ago, and God Tier Aradia has actually been the Handmaid all along :tinfoil:.

I think it was sort of implied / assumed that because she entered the medium as a dead ghost robot, her dream self started out dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Seems to me green sun energy is just a coincidence, to me it looks more like Prospit dreamers get quest beds on their planets, and Derse dreamers get them in the center of the moon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Burnings87 posted:

Since there's been all the talk about Aradia being evil, I've been thinking about various things involving her, and one point was Scrath's conversation with Rose. He mentioned two ways to go God Tier, and we've seen each of our six God Tiers go one of two ways.

1) Dying as your waking self on the quest bed on your planet, and resurrecting as your dreamself.

2) Being consumed by Green Sun energy as your dreamself on the quest bed in your dream world's.

Now it's also a small sample, with only three kids dying the second way, and they just happen to involve the Green Sun. Not only that, but Prospit dreamers have only gone first way, and Derse dreamers have only gone the second way. Could the split be between dream planets as well? Granted the only time we've seen a someone try the other choice was Dave, who couldn't. We also had Scratch reference Rose in that conversation to try it, but who could say if he was lying or just knew she wouldn't do it.

You're being too specific with the second option. Yes, they were all "consumed" by Green Sun energy, but that same energy (in Aradia's case) was an attack. What happened to Aradia was simple: her dreamself was comatose on a quest bed inside Derse. Jack destroyed Derse, her dreamself died. As her dreamself died on a quest bed, Aradia was reborn as a God Tier.

I presume what happened to Dave and Rose is that they died on their quest beds because they happened to be standing on their quest beds when a sun spawned on top of them. This, naturally, killed them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Comic posted:

Should've just linked the post, some nsfw stuff in that tag :|

http://megalovania.tumblr.com/post/11907897324/null-amped-and-reversed-sounds-familiar-but

Okay, sorry about dragging this up from the depths of Aradiachat, but...

The actual tune doesn't sound familiar, but it sounds like it has the same rhythm and instrumentation as the bit of Spider's Claw on Alternia.

EDIT: Okay, rechecking, it's not quite the same. But it's similar enough that I can be decently convinced that it's part of the same song.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 26, 2011

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

curiousTerminal posted:

Seems to me green sun energy is just a coincidence, to me it looks more like Prospit dreamers get quest beds on their planets, and Derse dreamers get them in the center of the moon.

Dave had a regular quest bed, remember?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There might be quest beds in the middle of Prospit's moon, too, but I don't think anyone has ever bothered to check.

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

You're being too specific with the second option. Yes, they were all "consumed" by Green Sun energy, but that same energy (in Aradia's case) was an attack. What happened to Aradia was simple: her dreamself was comatose on a quest bed inside Derse. Jack destroyed Derse, her dreamself died. As her dreamself died on a quest bed, Aradia was reborn as a God Tier.

I presume what happened to Dave and Rose is that they died on their quest beds because they happened to be standing on their quest beds when a sun spawned on top of them. This, naturally, killed them.

Your right, it is quite specific, because we've only had three instances of it happening, and when we first see it, it is as an exception to the previous ways we saw. But still, all three had an explosion of energy from the same source kill them on their quest beds. It could be just happenstance, but sometimes in this comic it isn't.
I'm not trying to say that made them evil or anything either, I'd really like to think Aradia hasn't been planning for LE since going god tier, but it was just the point that got me thinking about all of it.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I thought it was pretty specifically stated that the two ways to achieve god tier are to die on your planet's quest bed or Derse/Prospit's quest bed? I might be remembering incorrectly, but I thought that was stated/speculated by the characters. Of course, they could be wrong or someone could be lying. If we assume they were wrong/lying, we've only seen people achieve god tier one way: die on your quest bed. (Or be placed there after death, I suppose Jade is kind of ambiguous -- too bad there are no quest beds on the troll meteor.)

VV Dave and Rose were standing on their quest beds. Remember the look they gave each other when they found their beds in the middle of the moon, like "what the hell are these doing here?" VV

Idunn fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 26, 2011

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Idunn posted:

we've only seen people achieve god tier one way: die on your quest bed.

Dave / Rose?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I swear this flash gets better every time I watch it. The best part of the whole thing is right before the Green Sun explosion, where there's all the heavy chimes and quick flashes between scenes.

Man what in the hell even happens now.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sockser posted:

Dave / Rose?

They were standing on Quest Slabs when they were suddenly enveloped by the creation of A Green Sun.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

They were standing on Quest Slabs when they were suddenly enveloped by the creation of A Green Sun.

Quest Mattresses? Quest Unfolded Futons?

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Quest Mattresses? Quest Unfolded Futons?

That reminds me. Why didn't the Trolls get Quest Recuperacoons?

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

Vateke posted:

That reminds me. Why didn't the Trolls get Quest Recuperacoons?

They did, Vriska went godtier in one. The Derse/Prospit ones are just slabs.

See, it's shaped like a beehive.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

There might be quest beds in the middle of Prospit's moon, too, but I don't think anyone has ever bothered to check.

Oddly enough, though, there was only one quest bed visible at the center of troll Derse's moon, whereas the human Derse moon had both Derse players' beds side by side. This kind of gives Aradia/Dave/Rose the vague feeling of having been marked for something special, which I think contributes to the turncoat theory. But I don't think there's any particular reason to suspect anyone is evil other than the fact that a showdown would be cool (especially if it is a rap showdown. Gamzee vs. Dave for the fate of the universe.)

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

dumb brunette posted:

They did, Vriska went godtier in one. The Derse/Prospit ones are just slabs.

See, it's shaped like a beehive.

Answer accepted. However, this reminds me of a more serious confusion. Why does Vriska's dreamself disappear when she ascends? In every other case it was the dreamself that became god tier, no the original body.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

^^ It's not that one or the other "becomes" god tier, it's that a new "self" is born on the battlefield. If there's a dreamself it seems to be absorbed in this. John's dreamself was already on the battlefield, so it didn't need to disappear.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oddly enough, though, there was only one quest bed visible at the center of troll Derse's moon, whereas the human Derse moon had both Derse players' beds side by side. This kind of gives Aradia/Dave/Rose the vague feeling of having been marked for something special, which I think contributes to the turncoat theory. I don't think there's any particular reason to suspect anyone is evil other than the fact that a showdown would be cool (especially if it is a rap showdown. Gamzee vs. Dave for the fate of the universe.)

The page would show Gamzee and Dave facing off, having a Showdown of epic proportions, the other kids and trolls in the background. The narration would talk about how it had all come down to this and the universe depended on sick rhymes.

There would be no illustration for the next page, just the narration "You both then proceeded to have one of the best rap-offs in the history of paradox space."

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

RedMagus posted:

English is the Lord of Time

Aradia posted:

the master we serve demands it
Calling the best crossover ever right here :v:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Esme posted:

:psyboom:

Vateke posted:

Answer accepted. However, this reminds me of a more serious confusion. Why does Vriska's dreamself disappear when she ascends? In every other case it was the dreamself that became god tier, no the original body.
There was an explosion as Tavros left the building. Just assume her body was incinerated.
fake edit: Wait no her dreamself disappeared from Prospit with Terezi when she went God Tier.
Im still confused.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Listening to album 8 right now, and I'm thinking that the track Lotus (bloom) seems extremely familiar to me. According to Youtube, its a track from a video game (possibly Legend of Mana?), but I can't seem to find the actual track. If anyone know what i'm talking about, and could link the track, i would be grateful.

E: oh, looks like its already been addressed, sorry bout that~

Argona fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 26, 2011

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Those versed in Morse code: Did Serenity say anything interesting in this update or was it all just blinky firefly gobbledygook? I wanna know what the bug thinks of the assassination of Can Town's greatest mayor.

Wait, why would PM bring WV's body to the Troll session, anyway?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

saahil92 posted:

Listening to album 8 right now, and I'm thinking that the track Lotus (bloom) seems extremely familiar to me. According to Youtube, its a track from a video game (possibly Legend of Mana?), but I can't seem to find the actual track. If anyone know what i'm talking about, and could link the track, i would be grateful

Well

Radiation, on the last page, in response to a similar claim posted:

As someone that has listened to FF6/FF4's soundtrack countless times AND someone that is on the music team, I have to say that any accusations that Lotus (Bloom) is anything but a reference to itself are utter hogwash. Quality control? Seriously? Beatfox's composition and production are in many respects leaps and bounds above the rest of the team. You don't have to like the song, but saying something is a "barely remixed carbon copy" with nothing to back it up just comes off as antagonistic.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Esme posted:

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Esme posted:

Well thanks, now I want to see God-Tier Dr. Who.

All of them, though you know who wins in the scarf department.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

RedMagus posted:

Well thanks, now I want to see God-Tier Dr. Who.

All of them, though you know who wins in the scarf department.

The triumphant of return of Eridan, presumably with somewhat less of a dickhead quotient. I could get behind that.

"i wwear a fez noww fezzes are cool"

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Yes yes, we all know about the curious absence of a full version of Spider's Claw... But there's something more critical that's been missing from albums for far longer than that...

Something which has not even made the faintest appearance on any album...

Hussie, where is Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff: The Movie: The Theme Song?

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

FebrezeNinja posted:

Decision was maybe the wrong word for me there. I was figuring that Terezi's power, predicting the outcomes of such things, would generally prevent the creation of betas.

I was thinking about this. So far every timeline branch has been the result of a decision, so being able to see into people's thoughts is being able to see into alternate timelines. Yeah yeah, that was already addressed, but it still gives a unique use and theme to Terezi's abilities.

What about Rose? Everything she has done so far is just about breaking the game and talking to horrorterrors. She watches the other kids and stuff, but her "seeing" didn't seem to go much into the future. Vriska, as the Thief of Light, was apparently able to steal luck, so there's some precedent for light = luck. So what will Rose see? The... outcome of coin flips? What's the "lighty" thing going to be?

Also, all this talk about Aradia ignores what her function has been since she went god tier. She hosed off to the Outer Rim and started hanging out with ghosts. She was a psychopomp, a guide of the dead. Remember in the bubbles, showing the dead/dreaming important information? She's totally been a good guy, just somewhat removed from things. She seems to know what's going on, but her specialty is the afterlife. She's looking smug/serene because she knew Rose and Dave were coming... and then they did. I just don't see her being evil, it doesn't make any sense. Her realm is time, but just like the difference between Rose/Vriska or Rose/Terezi, she seems to have a specific theme - death and the afterlife. She's a psychopomp! They're never badguys. They just kinda stay at the periphery.

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

Cabbit posted:

The triumphant of return of Eridan, presumably with somewhat less of a dickhead quotient. I could get behind that.

"i wwear a fez noww fezzes are cool"

Well, his consorts are angels.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
How does Aradia's expression look "smug"? This thread is the only place I've seen anyone suggest she's a double-agent, I kind of doubt it's going to happen.

Although... she did say they were gonna have a corpse party when everyone showed up. :tinfoil:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Starmaker posted:

What about Rose? Everything she has done so far is just about breaking the game and talking to horrorterrors. She watches the other kids and stuff, but her "seeing" didn't seem to go much into the future. Vriska, as the Thief of Light, was apparently able to steal luck, so there's some precedent for light = luck. So what will Rose see? The... outcome of coin flips? What's the "lighty" thing going to be?

Vriska's ability was actually to manipulate fortune. It's not that she's "lucky," it's that she can basically rig the game. If there's a coin flip, she can use her powers to make it flip the way she wants it every time, same with, say, a die roll.

Likewise, Rose's ability would be able to "see" fortune, which I don't see as honestly being too different from Terezi's power. She would, effectively, be a fortune teller.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I seriously doubt Aradia is evil. She might have irons in the fire some poo poo in the background we don't know about, but seriously, what character in this loving webcomic doesn't?

Besides John, I mean. He's way too derp to be a plotter.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Also, just to contribute a further little thought:

Both Heroes of Space are now cliche meta-humans of the kind they secretly obsess over - a vampire and an anthro-furry. At this rate I practically think it's a requirement for a Space player.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, just to contribute a further little thought:

Both Heroes of Space are now cliche meta-humans of the kind they secretly obsess over - a vampire and an anthro-furry. At this rate I practically think it's a requirement for a Space player.

If that's true then we are lucky Equius wasn't the Heir of Space.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
I'm kind of on board with the "nobody is evil, everything is going according to plan" group concerning the Derse GTs. Honestly, I think that if there was some evil subplot going on here, it would be a little more apparent. Then again, that flash just changed everything so who knows.

creationist believer posted:

If that's true then we are lucky Equius wasn't the Heir of Space.

I'll have you know those paintings are considered fine art on Alternia.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Was the shot of the Trolls seeing the green sun drawn by that awesome person who did fanart of the trolls as 50's greasers? Art seemed very similar. I also really liked it cause they actually looked like kids in the shot.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Hyedum posted:

I'll have you know those paintings are considered fine art on Alternia.

His God Tier ability is to do the STRONG-ey thing.

I'll leave you all to visualize that while I'm quietly shooting myself in the corner. :suicide:

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

OmegaZultan posted:

Was the shot of the Trolls seeing the green sun drawn by that awesome person who did fanart of the trolls as 50's greasers? Art seemed very similar. I also really liked it cause they actually looked like kids in the shot.

That was probably my favorite shot of the whole flash, even though it was a fairly undramatic one.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

King of Solomon posted:

Vriska's ability was actually to manipulate fortune. It's not that she's "lucky," it's that she can basically rig the game. If there's a coin flip, she can use her powers to make it flip the way she wants it every time, same with, say, a die roll.

Likewise, Rose's ability would be able to "see" fortune, which I don't see as honestly being too different from Terezi's power. She would, effectively, be a fortune teller.

Right, that's what I meant with Vriska. And yeah, I was actually thinking that with Rose, but then why does she need to be god tier, when Terezi could do that normally? Higher levels, bred for the game, etc. but shouldn't Rose have something extra for being a god?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
For anyone not on Tumblr or who hasn't subscribed to Hussie's yet, he put up the first part of a write-up about the EoA5 flash-making process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Starmaker posted:

Right, that's what I meant with Vriska. And yeah, I was actually thinking that with Rose, but then why does she need to be god tier, when Terezi could do that normally? Higher levels, bred for the game, etc. but shouldn't Rose have something extra for being a god?

She almost certainly does have something "extra" for being god tier. The thing is, we don't know exactly what that extra thing is yet.