Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

mikeraskol posted:

I'm at NYU and lucky enough to have a post-graduation job offer. I'm a transfer student, did my first year at FSU before coming up to New York.

Whoa you're like a mirror Prussian Advisor (UF to Columbia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Gotta rock out my last CLE hours this week.

Today I get to attend a free viewing of "New Stormwater Regulations in Virginia."

The glamorous life of a lawyer.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

entris posted:

Gotta rock out my last CLE hours this week.

Today I get to attend a free viewing of "New Stormwater Regulations in Virginia."

The glamorous life of a lawyer.

Maritime law!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MoFauxHawk posted:

Maritime law!

wait, is that what this cle is going to be about? :suicide:

I was hoping it was some rainwater run-off issue, which is far more interesting than boat law. At least run-off water is something I encounter in my daily life.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

MoFauxHawk posted:

Whoa you're like a mirror Prussian Advisor (UF to Columbia).

Nice. Both of the Florida schools seem to do fairly well with transfers, in my transfer class there were 2 from UF and 2 from FSU.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 25, 2011

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

entris posted:

wait, is that what this cle is going to be about? :suicide:

I was hoping it was some rainwater run-off issue, which is far more interesting than boat law. At least run-off water is something I encounter in my daily life.

Those clothes you're wearing? Came here on a boat. The oil refined into gas in your car? 3/4 of the edible poo poo in your kitchen? Boats. Your fancy electronics, consumer goods, and boner pills? Etc etc.

Admiralty owns. I'll grant you it's probably more interesting in a port city or somewhere around oil & gas exploration, though.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Those clothes you're wearing? Came here on a boat. The oil refined into gas in your car? 3/4 of the edible poo poo in your kitchen? Boats. Your fancy electronics, consumer goods, and boner pills? Etc etc.

I buy all of my consumer goods via FedEx Air through Amazon. :smug:

Business
Feb 6, 2007

World first LLM in animal law!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

That is criminal. What animal law job requires a JD and an LLM? Paying for an extra degree to do animal law is incredibly, incredibly stupid.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Feces Starship posted:

This is a very good idea and I appreciate it. I think your year is my year. I'm a 3L who is just really lazy about anything not directly related to getting a job

Where can I go for more info? I've never gotten an email from the law school about any info session or anything. If you could just point me in the right direction that would be great.

Just looked and our info session was in january. If nothing else, the guys name was Nate, so you could try to find him on the lawhelp site.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

entris posted:

That is criminal. What animal law job requires a JD and an LLM? Paying for an extra degree to do animal law is incredibly, incredibly stupid.

I hate all schools in Oregon.

Also welcome NYU transfer homie, I too made the great success journey to more debt.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Feces Starship posted:

mpre study advice - go

1.) have a pulse
2.) try not to be too hungover

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

entris posted:

I buy all of my consumer goods via FedEx Air through Amazon. :smug:

The boxes and bubble wrap came here on a boat. So did the Fedex driver probably.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The boxes and bubble wrap came here on a boat. So did the Fedex driver probably.

:argh:

It doesn't matter, the CLE was about EPA and state environmental regulations pertaining to housing developments and whatnot and how they control run-off. Holy poo poo it was awful.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

entris posted:

It doesn't matter, the CLE was about EPA and state environmental regulations pertaining to housing developments and whatnot and how they control run-off. Holy poo poo it was awful.
Yeah, but:

AA is for Quitters posted:

Learning about all the minutae that makes the world work is...cool.

You must not have What It Takes. Real Lawyers (to be) think this stuff is cool

Also, I'm envisioning that these CLE things are just a string of PowerPoint slides accompanying a speaker for however many hours. Is this anything close to being right?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Green Crayons posted:

Also, I'm envisioning that these CLE things are just a string of PowerPoint slides accompanying a speaker for however many hours. Is this anything close to being right?

Yeah basically, except today we watched a video of a presentation from 2009, only the cameraman only got the speaker behind the podium and didn't shoot the projector screen, so we had no idea what the powerpoints were.

And, by the way, most lawyers who present at CLEs are awful, awful public speakers. A lot of the lawyers who teach CLEs are chosen because they are very well-versed in their field and the subject matter, not because they are particularly engaging speakers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feces Starship posted:

mpre study advice - go

read the book cover to cover once and try not to get overly drunk the night before the test

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Soothing Vapors posted:

2.) try not to be too hungover

evilweasel posted:

try not to get overly drunk the night before the test

I'm sensing a theme here.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/25/news/economy/Obama_student_loan/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

"But now the White House says it will for a "limited time" offer a .5% interest rate break for all students who consolidate their loans into a direct loan."

So I know .5% isn't much but I hope this doesn't mean I have to cancel my consolidation set to take effect in Nov to get the .5% credit.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Feces Starship posted:

fffuuuuuuuuuuuuu i completely forgot about my pro bono requirement. any columbia law goons have a suggestion on the most painless way to get this done?

Unemployment Action Center. Take a case that's no more than a week away, spend about 10-15 hours on it, work with a real client and provide real representation in a hearing before an ALJ. Actually cross-examine an employer who will almost always be completely outmatched by you. Help somebody who's unemployed get unemployment insurance. Really easy, really good experience.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Blakkout posted:

I'm sensing a theme here.
It's good advice. I got wasted before the test and didn't study at all ... and I failed (by two points, but still).

Don't be me. I retook, having studied the night before and without getting drunk, and I did fine.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

sigmachiev posted:

Also welcome NYU transfer homie, I too made the great success journey to more debt.

I wish I knew there was a law school megathread back when I was making the decision and going through the transition, it probably would have helped a ton. I'm really happy with the way things worked out though.

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

entris posted:

What, don't you want to be quoted in Salon?

quote:

A federal court is being asked to grant constitutional rights to five killer whales who perform at marine parks — an unprecedented and perhaps quixotic legal action that is nonetheless likely to stoke an ongoing, intense debate at America’s law schools over expansion of animal rights.
I'll take "not likely" for 1,000, Alex.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Hey I like animal law f u guys (the LLM is kinda stupid though)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
Just attempted to register for Animal Law seminar. Conflicted with a "real" course.

Promised self will take 3L year. Going to learn about boats and animals and gently caress all else. Can't wait to drop $15k on it!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Green Crayons posted:

Just attempted to register for Animal Law seminar. Conflicted with a "real" course.

Promised self will take 3L year. Going to learn about boats and animals and gently caress all else. Can't wait to drop $15k on it!

Watch out for the manatee/boat hypo, it's tricky.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Omerta posted:

Watch out for the manatee/boat hypo, it's tricky.

Unless you're also an international law person, in which case the hypo is about a dugong and a boat.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Solid Lizzie posted:

What, don't you want to be quoted in Salon?

quote:

A federal court is being asked to grant constitutional rights to five killer whales who perform at marine parks — an unprecedented and perhaps quixotic legal action that is nonetheless likely to stoke an ongoing, intense debate at America’s law schools over expansion of animal rights.
I'll take "not likely" for 1,000, Alex.

quote:

The suit, which PETA says it will file Wednesday in U.S. District Court in San Diego, hinges on the fact that the 13th Amendment, while prohibiting slavery and involuntary servitude, does not specify that only humans can be victims.

gently caress PETA forever. That is awful.

I love animals but they don't get any rights.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Alaemon posted:

Unless you're also an international law person, in which case the hypo is about a dugong and a boat.

International animal law is really hot right now, lots of jobs there.

TheSqueeze
Jun 27, 2005
I donno man adorable panda bears can be pretty anal about reviewing and contesting billables.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheSqueeze posted:

I donno man adorable panda bears can be pretty anal about reviewing and contesting billables.

I guess you are more likely to be careful with your hours when there's the chance that you will be mauled by a bear if you overbill.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

entris posted:

I love animals but they don't get any rights.

Other than the right to be tasty along side mashed potatoes and carrots, amirite?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

entris posted:

I guess you are more likely to be careful with your hours when there's the chance that you will be mauled by a bear if you overbill.

On the bright side, your loans are automatically forgiven in the event of death or permanent and severe disability. A good mauling ought to go a long way towards permanent and severe disability.

Edit: according to my phone, mauling = making. No, phone, bears maul people. People make people. Non-lawyer, non-depressed, non-indebted people make new people.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 27, 2011

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Roger_Mudd posted:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/25/news/economy/Obama_student_loan/index.htm?hpt=hp_t1

"But now the White House says it will for a "limited time" offer a .5% interest rate break for all students who consolidate their loans into a direct loan."

So I know .5% isn't much but I hope this doesn't mean I have to cancel my consolidation set to take effect in Nov to get the .5% credit.

Classic, it starts in January so I don't qualify.

NOT THE CHANGE I VOTED FOR!!!!

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat

Roger_Mudd posted:

Classic, it starts in January so I don't qualify.

NOT THE CHANGE I VOTED FOR!!!!
Yeah, this and the 2012 start date to lower IBR payments is a really :psyduck: policy.

"Hey, all you guys who already have student loans. gently caress you. We're only helping people who graduate next year and beyond." But... aren't the people who are already in repayment the ones who are defaulting on their loans? If you want to actually do something about student loans, it needs to be retrospective. As for the next generation, you know what a really good forward-looking policy would be? Stop telling kids to indenture themselves for 30 years to get an education.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

10-8 posted:

Yeah, this and the 2012 start date to lower IBR payments is a really :psyduck: policy.

"Hey, all you guys who already have student loans. gently caress you. We're only helping people who graduate next year and beyond." But... aren't the people who are already in repayment the ones who are defaulting on their loans? If you want to actually do something about student loans, it needs to be retrospective. As for the next generation, you know what a really good forward-looking policy would be? Stop telling kids to indenture themselves for 30 years to get an education.

Well it's being done by executive order rather than going through Congress, so there's probably limits on what can be done legally.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
patent office is hiring again if anyone is interested in playing video games all day working there

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
I had my first work-related interaction with a partner from a large firm today. The case has some really screwed up facts, but essentially, because of the partner at the big firm and the CFO of my client's company, the client is now in default on a complaint for about 300k.

The CFO expressed to us that he believed it was partially the big firm's fault. I suggested to the partner I'm working under that we could use the facts to get excusable negligence and have default opened. Partner chuckles and calls the partner at the big firm to DISCUSS.

"If [client] even mentions my loving name in an affidavit or casts my firm in any negative light...blood will run through the loving street. We send [client] so much business, if [client] fucks with us we will end [client's] existence."

So...yeah. Looks like I'm losing this motion.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

patent office is hiring again if anyone is interested in playing video games all day working there

gonna go get an engineering degree just so I can get one of these sweet-rear end jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Finally got a call about a clerkship interview... for the Supreme Court of Montana. Is this what my life has come to?