Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

err posted:

I hope it's just not only LA. SA had a pretty big country-side and a variety of landscapes and it was neat driving through all the podunk towns, seeing farms/hills/mountains etc. Not sure if that could be supported with the current engine but I just hope GTA5 isn't just city-based.

Rockstar has always used it's interim games as tech-tests for GTA, so with RDR hanging out there I would say odds are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder how much SR2's success and SR3's buzz influence GTA5.

Probably not at all except for a throwaway gag like they did in the past with Driver or True Crime. Saints Row 2 was lots of fun and did sell well but come on, nothing can compete with Grand Theft Auto for copies sold, money made, and pop culture buzz except for stuff like Call of Duty or Halo or Madden.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
Better have planes

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

err posted:

I hope it's just not only LA. SA had a pretty big country-side and a variety of landscapes and it was neat driving through all the podunk towns, seeing farms/hills/mountains etc. Not sure if that could be supported with the current engine but I just hope GTA5 isn't just city-based.

Los Angeles County is 4,752.32 sq mi, has a mountain 10,068 ft high (that's nearly 2 miles!), 2 seperate mountain ranges, the western part of the Mojave desert, snowfall in winter on the evergreen forests on one of the ranges, and tons of countryside and poo poo. Los Angeles county is bigger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined.

You can do a shitload with LA as a setting if you include stuff from the full county.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Probably not at all except for a throwaway gag like they did in the past with Driver or True Crime. Saints Row 2 was lots of fun and did sell well but come on, nothing can compete with Grand Theft Auto for copies sold, money made, and pop culture buzz except for stuff like Call of Duty or Halo or Madden.

Saint's Row 2 sales all time: 4.3 million
GTA IV sales day 1 alone: 3.6 million
:staredog:

(GTA IV sales all time: 22 million)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I'd love them to include Tijuana as the starting area in a Southern California-based game. What better way to make it to the second island than an illegal border run?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So I'm playing through IV again. I am at the mission where I have to kill the Jews who took that diamond money. I got the mission to load once but failed it. Now whenever I get to the hotel the scene fails to load and I am stuck at the loading scene for eternity. Is there something I can do to fix this? I don't have a recent save before that mission.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
While we're grasping at theoretical locations, for some time now I've thought Baghdad circa 2004-2005 would be a setting with a lot of possibilities for a GTA game.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Dr. Lariat posted:

While we're grasping at theoretical locations, for some time now I've thought Baghdad circa 2004-2005 would be a setting with a lot of possibilities for a GTA game.

Where would we find any cool cars though? Just Hummers and beat up Toyotas.

Acid Jerk
Nov 7, 2009
The moment that Grand theft auto is set in another country, it will no longer be grand theft auto. The point of grand theft auto, from its characters an stories, even its radio stations, is that it is a satire on America and American culture.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Acid Jerk posted:

The moment that Grand theft auto is set in another country, it will no longer be grand theft auto. The point of grand theft auto, from its characters an stories, even its radio stations, is that it is a satire on America and American culture.

GTA: London 1969 was pretty rad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
All you had to do was follow the drat train, CJ

drkhrs2020
Jul 22, 2007

The Dave posted:

GTA: London 1969 was pretty rad.

I hear that from everyone who played it, but for some reason GTA London is no longer sold anywhere. Licensing rights maybe?

Either way, GTA 5, if on the next gen systems, needs to be global. That sets up GTA 6, set in 2056, where you change hijack shuttles and crash into the moonbases if you want.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its just a stupid rumor, but I've heard San Diego/Tijuana as a possible location.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Acid Jerk posted:

So GTA hasn't been GTA since the second game in the series?

edit: expansion packs, but still.

demons_souls
Jul 8, 2010

by Duchess Gummybuns
Banknote style around the five make me think of DC maybe because of lincoln memorial but that's pretty tenuous obviously.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
One of the voice actors is playing a woman that went to Hollywood to follow her dreams so the LA style city is probably where it will take place.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Los Santos was supposed to be Los Angeles, right? So that wouldn't necessarily be out of the question.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Off topic from the GTA Vee discussion, but are there any good modding sites for the GTA games? I'm looking for the old GTA III era ones, but I'll probably end up replaying GTA IV soon too, so a good GTA IV section would be also good.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

SymfonyMan posted:

One of the voice actors is playing a woman that went to Hollywood to follow her dreams so the LA style city is probably where it will take place.
Grand Theft Auto: Mulholland Drive

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

moms pubis posted:

Grand Theft Auto: Mulholland Drive

Don't go behind the Winkie's Diner. :cry:

I'd totally play a GTA that went in some nightmarish, David Lynch-ian direction though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

SymfonyMan posted:

Maybe she went to Hollywood to follow her dreams and then left again!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drkhrs2020 posted:

I hear that from everyone who played it, but for some reason GTA London is no longer sold anywhere. Licensing rights maybe?

Well it was an expansion pack for GTA 1 and GTA 1 is no longer sold, it's available for free.

Biggest issue with it is that although Rockstar has GTA 1 and 2 updated to run fine on modern computers, the London 1969 and 1961 expansions aren't updated, so they can be a pain in the rear end to get going.

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
If the trailer reveals a rebooted Los Santos deal I won't even be slightly mad. Rockstar can do a shitload with LA county.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rockstar has always used it's interim games as tech-tests for GTA, so with RDR hanging out there I would say odds are good.

Question: Do you make it feel as big as Red Dead did, obviously in Red Dead you traveled a bit slower, or do you keep it the same real size and be able to drive, or fly across the map in like 30 seconds.

I mean, it'll be rad as hell regardless. SA was my favorite game but that could be because it was the first GTA game I bought for the PS2 (I played III on PC and skipped VC.)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ace Oliveira posted:

Off topic from the GTA Vee discussion, but are there any good modding sites for the GTA games? I'm looking for the old GTA III era ones, but I'll probably end up replaying GTA IV soon too, so a good GTA IV section would be also good.

http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/index.php is decent.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I think it may be Vice City, I think they're going to do the cycle once more for this gen (yep, including San Andreas!). Then do something new come next gen. (all three !)

conscript salad
Oct 5, 2005
I am not allowed to post outside of CC or repsnake will hurt me.
I'm hoping for a new locale. Detroit would be ideal in terms of geography. There's plenty of waterways and other cities close by. And oh yeah, Canada!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Era Comedy option that they referenced a lot in the 3-gen: AMERICAN AUSTRALIAN WAR :black101:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Are there control mods for the Steam/PC version of Vice City? I tried a gamepad (emulating a 360 pad) and it was a mess with the sticks not registering the appropriate inputs, etc and when I played it with the kb/m the camera stopped working when I was driving.

Kin fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 26, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Don't emulate a 360pad for the 3-era games. bind everything ingame that you can and for buttons/sticks that do not respond use xpadder/joy2key/similar.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Zedd posted:

Era Comedy option that they referenced a lot in the 3-gen: AMERICAN AUSTRALIAN WAR :black101:

I loved that joke. In fact, what I missed the most in GTA IV was talk radio stations. Even if I didn't particularly liked San Andreas, it had some choice radio programs. That's the only think I really listen to. Chatterbox from GTA3 was great. Vice City had VCPR and K-Chat.
GTA IV, on the other hand, had some pretty forgettable stations. I know Lazlo had one, but apart from beating a sausage vendor, I can't remember any of that radio.

More of that stuff, please!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

GTA4's could be funny; but it was much less timeless and much more 2008 politics with not even half the subtlety of the older games.

VCPR is still hilarious to this day.
"WE ARE GOING TO BUILD A RIVER AND SEPARATE OURSELVES FROM THE UNION, BUILD YOUR OWN ROLLER-COASTERS :byodood:"

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
GTA4's radio was pretty bad, and largely forgettable. I think they wanted it to be like GTA3's where nothing was licensed (Save for the scarface stuff)......but they forgot the quality.

There was one song on GTA4 though.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwhQsLzZus

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

D-DST, V-Rock, Radio Los Santos, Flash FM, Flashback FM where my favorites.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Iacen posted:

GTA IV, on the other hand, had some pretty forgettable stations.

I actually really liked the GTA4 radio stations. One of the things I always really dig about a new GTA game is the way it forces me to listen to stuff I normally wouldn't. GTA4 just wouldn't have been the same for me without "Top Down" in particular.

My favorite moments in a GTA title are always cruising along in a cool car listening to the radio and getting lost in the setting. I guess that's why I'm a little more forgiving of GTA4's faults, I had plenty of moments driving around the city in awe of how gorgeous it all looked.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

simosimo posted:

GTA4's radio was pretty bad, and largely forgettable. I think they wanted it to be like GTA3's where nothing was licensed (Save for the scarface stuff)......but they forgot the quality.
Are you kidding? GTA4 had an insane amount of licensed music. And like, really really famous artists too.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Pablo Gigante posted:

Are you kidding? GTA4 had an insane amount of licensed music. And like, really really famous artists too.

Just a shame most of it was dross (save for a few rock/classic songs)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Xiphos posted:

If the trailer reveals a rebooted Los Santos deal I won't even be slightly mad. Rockstar can do a shitload with LA county.

Hell yeah! Going from a 2 mile high snowcapped mountain all the way down to the beach. Preferably with some kind of hang glider contraption.

simosimo posted:

There was one song on GTA4 though.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GwhQsLzZus

Base GTA IV has 200 songs and almost all are licensed. Each Episode adds 50 more tracks, almost all licensed, as well as a few "episodes" of shows on the talk radio stations, which adds up to 300 tracks on the radio.

GTA:SA has 155 songs. GTA:VC has 103 songs with about 4 of them being original to the game, including the Love Fist songs. And GTA III has 27 licensed tracks and 29 original to game; Double Clef, Flashback 95.6, K-Jah and MSX FM are all licensed content.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
If it wasn't for GTA4 I wouldn't have fell in love with Glukoza (the chick that does the opening music on Vladivostok)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm willing to believe they're going with Los Santos/Angeles. I wouldn't mind it being set in the real world, either. Rockstar's got a flair for good story and setting one in a serious-ish game would work for me. Saint's Row can handle all the goofy free roam stuff. Hopefully it'll be current day though, I liked VC and SA but the time period business fell a little flat for me.

Also I'm reading that the money motif on the logo would have something to do with the financial crisis? Obviously it could stand for lots of things, like the V could stand for Vice City. Who knows. Looking forward to that trailer though!

Edit: Someone mentioning Baltimore instantly got me thinking about The Wire and holy poo poo would a GTA game based on the things they had in that show be cool.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 26, 2011

• Locked thread