Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Once again I am blown away by the helpfulness of this forum. Thank you very much.

It's a thread for helping! OK it's true, nobody has answered this:

Jiriam posted:

What does a 'fitness interview' with the headmaster of a catholic seminary usually involve?

But goddammit nobody trolled them either and I think that's really something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

greazeball posted:

It's a thread for helping! OK it's true, nobody has answered this:

But goddammit nobody trolled them either and I think that's really something

Haha, was there something wrong with my question? Im trying to help out a friend whos going in to meet the seminary people this week, and is hella nervous, but i didnt want to start a whole thread for basically nothing.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Nothing wrong with it, he's just pointing out that "fitness interview" Catholic, seminary, that's like gold level ripe bait for some beavis and butthead type replies and no one was led into temptation.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Well obviously make him PayPal or mail you the money first. I thought that was a given.

e: I don't think its unreasonable to say no either. Just tell him no if that's what you want to do. You have no obligation to go out of your way for an anonymous internet stranger.

The problem with leaving your poo poo to pick up on the porch is there is literally no proof that you sent him the package, therefore he can easily run a paypal claim and get his money back while still having the item.

Jiriam posted:

Oh poo poo, that seriously didn't even cross my mind. Now you say it, I'm actually amazed nothing came of it

I saw the opening and left it for someone else to roll with it.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 26, 2011

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wagonburner posted:

Nothing wrong with it, he's just pointing out that "fitness interview" Catholic, seminary, that's like gold level ripe bait for some beavis and butthead type replies and no one was led into temptation.

Oh poo poo, that seriously didn't even cross my mind. Now you say it, I'm actually amazed nothing came of it

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know what those metal box things pole coming out of them are? I see them often in government buildings and major landmarks, train stations, etc, kinda curious.

Usually have an EPA logo sticker on the side. Constantly makes a whirring fan noise.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jiriam posted:

What does a 'fitness interview' with the headmaster of a catholic seminary usually involve?
Psychological and academic tests as well as an in-depth interview, near as I can figure - a guy's gotta be mentally fit to pursue a vocation in the Church.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I've got a big bottle of Kahlua pre-mixed white Russian, and I'm not sure if it is still good or not. I know that straight Kahlua lasts just fine without refrigeration, but this is a pre-blended drink.

It wasn't refrigerated at the store, but it's been unsealed now for several weeks, at room temperature. I'd like to bring it to a party, if it's still good, but I don't want to risk making anyone sick.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Check to see if it has a "best by" date or a "refrigerate after opening" note anywhere on the label. Failing that, try a sip of it. If it tastes like rear end, it's gone bad.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Ridonkulous posted:

I want to make refrigerator magnets out of beer/soda bottle caps.
The best deal on magnets I can find on Ebay is for neodymium magnets.
The problem is if a cap is 19mm wide, the best price on magnets are 3mm wide, using glue would these be a viable option? Could I use 2-4?
These magnets are supposed to be pretty strong, but would 1 magnet of that size hole refrigerator stuff and a bottle cap?

Dude just go to a craft store and buy some plain magnets

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CIgBEPICMAM

like somebody else said those rare-earth magnets will stick to the fridge and rip out of the caps when you try to move them.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Human Tornada posted:

Dude just go to a craft store and buy some plain magnets

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CIgBEPICMAM

like somebody else said those rare-earth magnets will stick to the fridge and rip out of the caps when you try to move them.

Those are 8 for $3. I'm looking for more like 100 for $10 or less.
I ended up getting 100 of the kind of magnet you recommended from ebay but I may try the rare-earth magnets in the future if the small ones are cheap enough.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I've got a big bottle of Kahlua pre-mixed white Russian, and I'm not sure if it is still good or not. I know that straight Kahlua lasts just fine without refrigeration, but this is a pre-blended drink.

It wasn't refrigerated at the store, but it's been unsealed now for several weeks, at room temperature. I'd like to bring it to a party, if it's still good, but I don't want to risk making anyone sick.

I'm not 100% for sure on this, but I believe some of those premix white russian blends don't actually have any real dairy products in them. if this is case, you're probably fine. if it wasn't refrigerated at the store, this leads me to believe even more that this is the case. Alcohol is a pretty strong deterrent of spoil.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I'm not 100% for sure on this, but I believe some of those premix white russian blends don't actually have any real dairy products in them. if this is case, you're probably fine. if it wasn't refrigerated at the store, this leads me to believe even more that this is the case. Alcohol is a pretty strong deterrent of spoil.

Yeah, this is what I figured. I'll have a glass and if it doesn't taste weird, it's probably fine.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jiriam posted:

I'm not even sure what your original post was asking for -- does he want to join the seminary and be a priest, or is he seeking some non-priest job at a seminary, such as a groundskeeper, chef, janitor, submissive slave, etc? It was so vague (and easy) that I wasn't even sure what I was working with or even if the question itself was a troll of sorts.

v:shobon:v You never really know.

DeviantLogic
May 1, 2009
Really, really stupid question here but are dolphins fish or mammals? I initially thought that dolphins are mammals and this Wikipedia article seems to agree with me. However, I was having a conversation with someone that is studying for a Masters in Zoology that told me they are a type of fish. I don't want to take Wikipedia as being the gospel truth on this matter and thought I would ask SA. So, hopefully without getting into some debate about natural kinds, properties or any other topic in the philosophy of biology, are dolphins mammals or not?!

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

DeviantLogic posted:

Really, really stupid question here but are dolphins fish or mammals? I initially thought that dolphins are mammals and this Wikipedia article seems to agree with me. However, I was having a conversation with someone that is studying for a Masters in Zoology that told me they are a type of fish. I don't want to take Wikipedia as being the gospel truth on this matter and thought I would ask SA. So, hopefully without getting into some debate about natural kinds, properties or any other topic in the philosophy of biology, are dolphins mammals or not?!

There are Dolphins and there are Dolphins. Make sure y'all are having the same conversation.

DeviantLogic
May 1, 2009

Ridonkulous posted:

There are Dolphins and there are Dolphins. Make sure y'all are having the same conversation.

Amazing. Didn't think of the possibility of two different animals sharing a name. However, I'm pretty sure they were talking about dolphins of the Ecco variety seeing as they were saying how clever they are and that they would love to go swimming with them sometime. These mahi-mahi do not seem to be renowned for their intelligence.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

DeviantLogic posted:

Amazing. Didn't think of the possibility of two different animals sharing a name. However, I'm pretty sure they were talking about dolphins of the Ecco variety seeing as they were saying how clever they are and that they would love to go swimming with them sometime. These mahi-mahi do not seem to be renowned for their intelligence.

They are tasty though.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Of course dolphins are mammals. Otherwise, how else could we have such great sex with them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Biowarfare posted:

Anyone know what those metal box things pole coming out of them are?
Not quite getting this sentence. Can you rephrase, or maybe draw a diagram?

DeviantLogic posted:

These mahi-mahi do not seem to be renowned for their intelligence.

Maybe your Masters degree friend isn't, either.

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

randyest posted:

I'm not even sure what your original post was asking for -- does he want to join the seminary and be a priest, or is he seeking some non-priest job at a seminary, such as a groundskeeper, chef, janitor, submissive slave, etc? It was so vague (and easy) that I wasn't even sure what I was working with or even if the question itself was a troll of sorts.

v:shobon:v You never really know.

Yeah, my bad. He's having a day of interviews and evaluations at seminary, because he wants to become a priest. He was freaking out about it so we sat down to do some research about what he could reasonably expect to be asked, but we didn't really find anything. It was just a shot in the dark that maybe someone could give any advice. :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

::Ubiquitous:: posted:

What is the best site online to get color double-sided business cards printed from?

I've got my own design and 50-70 bucks to blow.

A goon in SA-Mart will make some cards for you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3348573

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Oct 26, 2011

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
There was a program I remember seeing a few years back that was supposed to use certain tones and frequencies to emulate drugs or whatever. That's dumb but I remember it had different settings you could load and a couple of them were related to focus etc. I'm cramming for a midterm right now and am getting tired of Rainy Mood, so I figured I'd give that a go and see if it actually helps (or at least acts as a placebo) or just gives me a headache.

Anyone have any ideas? I think it was called like virtual acid or something but I can't find anything on google.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
It 100% does not work, don't waste your time, there are so many more things you could be doing with that time.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

It 100% does not work, don't waste your time, there are so many more things you could be doing with that time.

I'm already doing something with that time, I just need some white noise to go in my eardrums while I do it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of batteries: Is there any reason I keep mine in the fridge? Besides knowing where they are of course...

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Less heat slows down the chemical reaction that causes them to lose their charge over time, though it doesn't help a whole lot and manufacturers don't recommend it since condensation that may occur while they're in there may corrode them which would not be good.

Though they are also the people you'd buy new batteries from when those ones die :tinfoil:

e: Actually that's for common universal batteries you'd buy in the checkout lane. Lithium Ion batteries are recommended to be kept in the fridge since they lose capacity constantly no matter what and that slows that down considerably.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 26, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I'm already doing something with that time, I just need some white noise to go in my eardrums while I do it.

Try this instead dude http://simplynoise.com/

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

There was a program I remember seeing a few years back that was supposed to use certain tones and frequencies to emulate drugs or whatever. That's dumb but I remember it had different settings you could load and a couple of them were related to focus etc. I'm cramming for a midterm right now and am getting tired of Rainy Mood, so I figured I'd give that a go and see if it actually helps (or at least acts as a placebo) or just gives me a headache.

Anyone have any ideas? I think it was called like virtual acid or something but I can't find anything on google.

The best-known one is called "I-Doser".

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

User-Friendly posted:

The best-known one is called "I-Doser".

Exactly what I was thinking of, thanks.

trandorian posted:

Try this instead dude http://simplynoise.com/

I'll give this one a shot too. I'm willing to mix it up with anything that isn't rain or matches (though I would pay good money if someone made an hour long version of that).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FCKGW posted:

THANKS!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I know that Make is way, way too freaking proud of their Brainwave Machine Kit, although this might be a bit more work than it's worth if you're not comfortable with circuits and soldiering things together.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Does (or will) Motorola's Direct Talk still work? Direct Talk is an off network PTT but I am wondering since I think the spectrum is gonna be used for something else now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

b0nes posted:

Does (or will) Motorola's Direct Talk still work? Direct Talk is an off network PTT but I am wondering since I think the spectrum is gonna be used for something else now.

It uses the 900 mhz band. Other thignsthat use that band are older cordless phones, remote controls for RC cars and planes, and garage door openers. The band isn't getting reassigned anytime soon, though Direct Talk only works if you have two phones with the feature within about 2 miles so effectively it's dead in most places now.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

FCKGW posted:

I had that guy make me a few different designs of cards and they turned out awesome!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

b0nes posted:

If you're asking about this because you want that functionality: there are apps for most smartphones that do pretty much the same thing (except for needing a data connection, I guess.) heytell is one I use and it's free and good.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Does anyone have any information or scientific explanation on why mixed eggs (scrambled, omelette, etc) would cause intense stomach aches but NOT eggs where the white and yolk are not mixed? All I can find is this metafilter post, but most of the replies are useless. It's not lactose intolerance, it happens without cream or butter.

One reply towards the bottom says something about the protein cooking at a higher temperature and therefore preventing the stomach acids to break it down, so I was wondering if anyone else can back that up? If that's the case, then why doesn't everyone get a stomach ache when they eat scrambled eggs?

I'm not sure if there's a better place for this question, and I'm not asking for medical advice for the record. I've just always been curious about this because I have had a hard time eating scrambled eggs and omelettes my whole life, including a bout this morning that's left me kind of green all day.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
How about the butter/fat used for cooking? It may not be the eggs themselves, but what's used to cook them or what else goes into them in combination with the eggs.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.

tarepanda posted:

How about the butter/fat used for cooking? It may not be the eggs themselves, but what's used to cook them or what else goes into them in combination with the eggs.

No, it's not butter. It's actually more likely to happen when there's nothing but egg. Like today, I stupidly just made two eggs with nothing because I needed something fast and ran out of butter and I basically paid for it the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I bought some window insulation film at the store the other day, and I'd like to get it up. I got some last year and had reasonably good results, but I had trouble getting the corners done to my satisfaction. Any tips on how to do this? I'm not sure how to get the film stuck in there without any gaps short of cutting in notches, which I don't think would be a good idea.