Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Oddly enough, though, there was only one quest bed visible at the center of troll Derse's moon, whereas the human Derse moon had both Derse players' beds side by side. This kind of gives Aradia/Dave/Rose the vague feeling of having been marked for something special, which I think contributes to the turncoat theory. But I don't think there's any particular reason to suspect anyone is evil other than the fact that a showdown would be cool (especially if it is a rap showdown. Gamzee vs. Dave for the fate of the universe.)

The sense I got from that scene is a nod from Sburb or whatever to the effect of "yes, you are both going to die here." With the heavy themes of predestination rolling throughout the entire thing this isn't really that weird. Hell, Skaia had the end of both universes literally built right into it.

I really don't get the Aradia being evil thing. She's smiling because she expected Dave and Rose and she's happy to see them. She may have been complicit in the creation of the Green Sun but that's likely because she saw the inevitability of it. She knows how paradox space and the alpha timeline stuff works, and she knows better than to think she can change it. That doesn't mean she's happy about it; recall this log where she rages about the poo poo she knows is going to take place and tries (pointlessly) to talk sense into Rose.

Speaking of... what is with that giant Green Sun captchalog card? Did we ever find out why that was there or what it does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

For anyone not on Tumblr or who hasn't subscribed to Hussie's yet, he put up the first part of a write-up about the EoA5 flash-making process.

The idea that he could've done this in four weeks if the Flash errors hadn't cost him some time just blows me the gently caress away.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

King of Solomon posted:

She almost certainly does have something "extra" for being god tier. The thing is, we don't know exactly what that extra thing is yet.

Well yeah of course. I was just asking about possible speculation? Her abilities are the most interesting to me, if only because they're the most subtle.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eyes are a big thing in this flash. Everybody's irises are huge, and the flash is full of knowing or worried glances between characters and glares of intense concentration. Go look. It's really noticeable.

The fact that Dave's and Rose's eyes are obscured after they God Tier is the only reason that I lend any credence to the theories that they are now puppets of Lord English.

Of course, it could be, as mentioned, that it's just to make them look more like their guardians. Rose's eyes are covered and Dave's mouth is drawn tiny. But when we do see Dave's mouth, he's got a tiny frown, which seems an odd expression to have in the situation. Hrm.

I totally don't get the "Aradia is evil" talk, though. She spent the whole troll adventure complaining to herself and others how she was a slave to various forces, from fate to the whispers of Horrorterrors. The whole point of her joy at coming back to life was that she is happy to be alive and finally have some free will again. For her to give that up to Lord English, or to have been an agent all along, seems very unlikely to me.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 26, 2011

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I can't believe after months of "So and so is turning evil :v:" people are still doing it completely unironically. I didn't see smug, I saw smiling. Aradia is meeting her new allies and friends. Rose and Dave are both alive, and god tier, two things they both thought weren't going to ever be a thing for them when they went on this entire little excursion.

Having neato-keen new powers as well as not being evaporated corpses like they thought they were going to be is probably overriding the feelings of being used to create the green sun.

Also, I'm curious as to if someone from the music team can explain what the null song was, that little thing is a puzzling mystery. And if Radiation would explain why we didn't get Spider's Claw as promised. :colbert:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Midnight Raider posted:

Also, I'm curious as to if someone from the music team can explain what the null song was, that little thing is a puzzling mystery.

Someone said it sounded like part of the melody from Doctor. So I guess we're getting a Doctor remix at some point? :v:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Okay this should put the "Aradia is evil all along" chat to rest:

Andrew's About EoA5 part 2

Basically: Aradia wasn't even complicit in the creation of the Green Sun because she arrived after it was created. Like as it was shown in that super cool flash movie so long ago.

Edit: this one

Edit 2: Never mind it wasn't a flash but here you go

Ammat The Ankh fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 26, 2011

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
I'm loving these write-up posts, though over two watches I pretty much absorbed all of that info. That and this thread, of course

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yes yes, we all know about the curious absence of a full version of Spider's Claw... But there's something more critical that's been missing from albums for far longer than that...

Something which has not even made the faintest appearance on any album...

Hussie, where is Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff: The Movie: The Theme Song?

yeah man i need that poo poo in FLAC

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Basically: Aradia wasn't even complicit in the creation of the Green Sun because she arrived after it was created. Like as it was shown in that super cool flash movie so long ago.

Well now I feel stupid for guessing that Aradia was evil. :shobon:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I think that above all else, a big part of the reason behind concerns that Aradia/Rose/Dave playing for the other team is that people are looking for something to go terribly wrong. I mean, from the start to the end of the Flash, things are going pretty good! Sure, Lord English has been summoned and woe unto all things from the beginning to the end of time, et cetera, but everyone's successfully evaded the Scratch, the kids are now a full quartet of God Tiers, Jack's behavior has become almost quaint, and no one died!

Well, no one who counts.

Factor in that Scratch probably knew that Rose and Dave would emerge from the Sun as God Tiers (unless it was another dark pocket, which seems unlikely given how confident he was in the plan from start to finish), and it just seems like the one uncertainty in a pretty good run of luck. I guess the obvious alternative is that Scratch was confident that no amount of God Tiers could inconvenience Lord English, but he just never struck me as one to leave that sort of thing to chance.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well if you're looking for things to go wrong, bear in mind that hitting God Tier immediately puts a character at risk. 'Cause, I mean, we've seen a Just death...

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'd say creating the Green Sun on a mission to destroy it is a pretty drat good way for a plan to go awry. Things have gone horribly wrong, you don't need to inject players going villain to make it worse.

Bec Noir may still be unstoppable, for all we know. PM? might not be capable of bringing him down.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I'd say creating the Green Sun on a mission to destroy it is a pretty drat good way for a plan to go awry. Things have gone horribly wrong, you don't need to inject players going villain to make it worse.

Bec Noir may still be unstoppable, for all we know. PM? might not be capable of bringing him down.

Anyone who did not see the Green Sun plan going topsy-turvy months ago is the kind of person I would describe as a sucker.

I was expecting much worse on top of that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
...You were expecting worse than the exact opposite of their goal happening? I mean, sure, it's reasonable to expect the plan to go horribly wrong, but them going god tier aside, it went horribly wrong in about as terrible way as possible.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

...You were expecting worse than the exact opposite of their goal happening? I mean, sure, it's reasonable to expect the plan to go horribly wrong, but them going god tier aside, it went horribly wrong in about as terrible way as possible.

It was obvious to me that the Sun was going to be fine ever since Doc Scratch explained that he's kept the corrupt-scratch-horribly "ideal" cycle of sessions going more or less in perpetuity. I was expecting the characters to be caught totally off-guard by it all, with Jade's freshly constructed universe being their only refuge against Jack and English. Also Karkat would die somehow.

Instead everyone's locked and loaded against any potential threats short of English himself, Jade went Dog Tier and juggled an entire session through the fourth wall, PM is ready to give Jack a run for his money, and the only ones who died were the Exiles and Sollux (again). So yeah, I think there's a really big silver lining to all this!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
There's "the sun is OK at the end of it all" and then there's "being the origin of the problem in the first place."

They are very different things. Yes, there is a silver lining, no, that doesn't mean the plan didn't go really horribly wrong.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Well, no one who counts.
!!!

:frogout:

So anyways, I was doing some re-reading and I thought of something. What if post-scratch (guardian version) John and Jade are already dead? You know, like Nanna and Grandpa. In which case maybe we'll end up with a Johnsprite and, er, another Jadesprite. And then maybe even a scene with Nannaquin and Grandpa Johnsprite~

Speaking of guardians, what the hell ever happened to Grandpa Harley? I mean, all the other guardians died, except Grandpa... who just kinda disappeared.

e: clarity

VVVVV

I know that, should I use the term ancestor then? Their paradox slime relatives, whatever. And how he got there hasn't been explained yet so I assume it will be at some point. I thought maybe his fate in the game had been shown, and I just forgot, although your explanation makes a lot of sense and I hadn't thought of it before, so thanks!

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 26, 2011

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Starmaker posted:

Speaking of guardians, what the hell ever happened to Grandpa Harley? I mean, all the other guardians died, except Grandpa... who just kinda disappeared.

He wasn't Jade's guardian, Bec was.

Anyhow, he probably just went back to Earth through a defense portal or something after picking up Dream Jade's body. What isn't explained is how he got into the Medium in the first place.

VJeff posted:

Maybe the defense portals go both ways! :v:

That sounds like a recipe for crashing into a meteor.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 26, 2011

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Walliard posted:

He wasn't Jade's guardian, Bec was.

Anyhow, he probably just went back to Earth through a defense portal or something after picking up Dream Jade's body. What isn't explained is how he got into the Medium in the first place.

Maybe the defense portals go both ways! :v:

The fact that we never saw Jade's grandpa go through a defense portal back to Earth makes me think him and his ship might be somewhere, shrunken down with the rest of the Incipisphere. Which might be a paradox, but who gives a poo poo, the universe just got destroyed and reset at the same time.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, which is why I brought it up. We're probably going to see more of him yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grandpa got shot to death, remember?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SynthOrange posted:

In a universe that just blew up and got reset. If the pre-Scratch Troll ancestor's can technically never actually have been born, then Grandpa can probably cheat death.

Walliard posted:

That sounds like a recipe for crashing into a meteor.

More like a recipe for a meteor that didn't know who it was loving with in your trophy cabinet. :smug:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I wonder if Prospit's hierarchy has a counterpart to Jack that we just haven't seen and who isn't really relevant to the story.

A Jake Blanc, if you will.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, after he left the Medium and returned to Earth. But he hasn't done that yet, at least not that we've seen. And now that universe doesn't exist anymore, welp

^^^^^
Yeah probably, there seems to be symmetry in everything else. Only this one's really nice and hyper-loyal to the Queen.

VVVVV
Truly a rich, full life.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 26, 2011

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Grandpa's timeline is slightly crazy:

- Grew up under batterwitch (are we ever going to find out what the deal was here?)
- Ran off with faithful dog to adventure!
- Becomes a multi-discipline billionaire.
- Adopts baby Jade.
- [Somehow] goes to the medium, years before sburb is a reality, and flies a big-rear end ship around.
- [Somehow (meteor portal?)] returns to Earth, bringing stuffed Dreamjade with him and lots of skaia-tech.
- Dies to Tavros-and-Bec powered gunshot.
- Get stuffed and sits in the living room for a few years.
- Teleported to Earth orbit.
- Blown up when the entire universe explodes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SteelAngel2000 posted:

But who would have that much Sepulchritude?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

As we go into Act 6 now, it just ocurred to me that we won't have to worry about dry dialogue either side of the Jade/Rose divide - they've each got a Dave. Davesprite survived, after all, on the miniaturized Battlefield that they escaped with.

You can never have too many Daves.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Dominic White posted:

As we go into Act 6 now, it just ocurred to me that we won't have to worry about dry dialogue either side of the Jade/Rose divide - they've each got a Dave. Davesprite survived, after all, on the miniaturized Battlefield that they escaped with.

You can never have too many Daves.

Are you sure about that?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

There's "the sun is OK at the end of it all" and then there's "being the origin of the problem in the first place."

They are very different things. Yes, there is a silver lining, no, that doesn't mean the plan didn't go really horribly wrong.

But if we follow the Vriska school of thought though, this is way better!!!!!!!!

Besides, if the were gone, what the heck would we see for the next two acts? Troll funeral ghost orgy and bad movie marathon?

Skeleton Mom fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Oct 26, 2011

Red2401
Aug 17, 2010

FebrezeNinja posted:

I like the idea, but where does it say that about the coinflip? From what I remember Vriska's Thief luck meant it could only land on her side, and the Vriska-Jack battle happened in Terezi's Seer prediction of her decision to not kill. Did that decision actually create a Beta?

Here you go, "The actual result was trivial; it was a constant across all timelines."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005670

"What sort of story would this be, with our Knight and Seer made to stay cadavers? Certainly not one the alpha timeline would allow."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005736

There is no vagueness here, at least one other timeline went through the same motions with the flip. For all the vague horrible narrator Doc is, he let us have a peek at Vriska's timeline before pulling us back to alpha. With all the timey wimey balls of stuff flying around and in Vriska should be able to see the green sun light and head off into the furthest ring to meet everyone.

Wait... The horrorterrors are being killed by a mad skipper, the furthest ring is almost impossible to navigate, the horrorterrors look like bosses, and beta god Vriska can only die a heroic or just death. Vriska is Plumbthroat. It is her.

(sorry for sentance structure, tired)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Starmaker posted:

Are you sure about that?

That is an absolutely preposterous amount of Daves.

Red2401
Aug 17, 2010

Starmaker posted:

Are you sure about that?

Never enough Daves. :colbert:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The way Pyrocumulus (Sicknasty) started, I thought it was gonna be a remix of Skaian Skirmish, but it wasn't and it was still awesome!

(I want a remix of Skaian Skirmish)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

SteelAngel2000 posted:

I wonder if Prospit's hierarchy has a counterpart to Jack that we just haven't seen and who isn't really relevant to the story.

Isn't the entire point of Jack that he's an anomaly?

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

saahil92 posted:

Listening to album 8 right now, and I'm thinking that the track Lotus (bloom) seems extremely familiar to me. According to Youtube, its a track from a video game (possibly Legend of Mana?), but I can't seem to find the actual track. If anyone know what i'm talking about, and could link the track, i would be grateful.

E: oh, looks like its already been addressed, sorry bout that~

As was mentioned, it sounds very much LIKE something that would be in one of those games, but really is its own thing (to me it actually sounds like something from a Studio Ghibli movie). That doesn't indicate any plagiarism, but just shows a really intricate understanding of that particular style of music on Beatfoxes part.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

For anyone not on Tumblr or who hasn't subscribed to Hussie's yet, he put up the first part of a write-up about the EoA5 flash-making process.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Those write-ups were HUGEly helpful.

I suddenly understand everything.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
So since the green sun wasn't destroyed does that mean Doc Scratch is still alive? Or was he killed when the universe died?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really like the notion that it's not that the green sun's creation was the beacon for the trolls, it's that it took a long time for the light to penetrate all the way through the outer ring to reach them. Surprisingly logical.

yellowyams posted:

So since the green sun wasn't destroyed does that mean Doc Scratch is still alive? Or was he killed when the universe died?
I'm assuming he's dead (until he smugly shows up again at least).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

I'm assuming he's dead (until he smugly shows up again at least).

He was telling the truth, really - blowing up that bomb did kill him, although that was more of a result of half of the fuel for the bomb was the universe he was currently residing in ceasing to exist.

He was very good at omitting key pieces of information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

And here I thought Hussie killed him.

Oh, Tensei! Amazing job on Cascade. I know you made it awhile ago, but it is probably my favorite song on the album, and there are a lot of really good songs on there. Thanks!