Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Well they don't come with a mileage warranty is what I meant. Tirerack says that there is a 6 year "workmanship and materials" warranty.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO

I went ahead and ordered 5 of those from Costco, they should come in on Monday or Tuesday. I just need to order shocks and a new steering stabilizer and smog it. I should also probably look into how accurate the speedometer is since the truck was running on 32's and I am switching to 31's. Overall I am happy. The 4.0 looks like it will be easier to work on than my '89 carbureted Corolla, or at least the accessories, the plugs look to be a pain. Overall I think this is going to be a great truck.

Should I consider switching from the original mechanical fan to an electric one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Should I consider switching from the original mechanical fan to an electric one?

Honestly the power benefit you get from it is negligent and I consider it too much of a hassle unless you find you REALLY need it.

The real benefits I find in it is to reduce warm-up time (by not having the fan on until it starts reaching the operating temperatures), when on hot trails (to put it in max and not overheat your engine) and to turn it off when crossing rivers so you won't splash water everywhere. It does have parts that can fail, the same way as a mechanical fan clutch can fail, so don't hold on to the "failsafe" argument.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I heard that the original was designed so that there would be a good flow over the front of the engine to cool the alternator and accessories, but I don't see why an electrical fan couldn't do the same. I may just convert to electric if the mechanical one fails.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, look who's back:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15108712

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Steiler Drep posted:

Honestly the power benefit you get from it is negligent and I consider it too much of a hassle unless you find you REALLY need it.

The real benefits I find in it is to reduce warm-up time (by not having the fan on until it starts reaching the operating temperatures), when on hot trails (to put it in max and not overheat your engine) and to turn it off when crossing rivers so you won't splash water everywhere. It does have parts that can fail, the same way as a mechanical fan clutch can fail, so don't hold on to the "failsafe" argument.

Don't discount the noise factor in older vehicles.

Oh god the fan on my 75 volvo... oh god.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Ozmiander posted:

I had 13 year old wranglers on my ranger. I only replaced them because they got rock hard and greasy. They still had juuuust under legal tread depth.

When I got my 87 Wrangler in 03, it had a set of GY 215/75/15R Wranglers on it in poor condition. I then proceeded to park it on the lawn and occasionally drive it for 4 years. The tires looked loving awful. I Then proceeded to drive it regularly for a year. one of the tires started with a slow leak and I replaced the one tire. I drove it for another month or two (occasionally using them for trail riding in the mean time) until I found a set on sale. Each tire had dry rot damage and a small amount of soft spot/weather damage and I'm pretty sure they could have taken more abuse. I bought 4 new ones and put the best old one as my spare.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
New tires on the truck I drove it to school today and am going to take it to school and smog it tomorrow.

The temp gauge doesn't work. It goes up and gets stuck below half, where the needle just quivers and twitches. The speedometer is off because of the tires. It still needs new struts, and I took it to get an alignment and realized that the previous owner didn't so anything to account for the lift alignment-wise. I also need to make a new spare tire bracket so that I can fit the spare under the bed again.

The caster on the front right tire is 2 degrees forward and the camber is off on each wheel by a little. I ordered some 3.5 degree camber/caster sleeves from amazon hoping that they will fix all of my alignment woes.

The 4.0 runs great, I am impressed with how decent the automatic feels. I need to figure out how to adjust the speedometer so that I know how fast I am going and can calculate my fuel economy. It is OBDII so maybe I can configure it through there, I'm not sure. It does have front lockers but not rear, so I will probably ask for those for Christmas. I'm pretty happy with the truck. It is nice being able to run the AC all the time and not just on freeways such luxury.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

New tires on the truck I drove it to school today and am going to take it to school and smog it tomorrow.

The temp gauge doesn't work. It goes up and gets stuck below half, where the needle just quivers and twitches. The speedometer is off because of the tires. It still needs new struts, and I took it to get an alignment and realized that the previous owner didn't so anything to account for the lift alignment-wise. I also need to make a new spare tire bracket so that I can fit the spare under the bed again.

The caster on the front right tire is 2 degrees forward and the camber is off on each wheel by a little. I ordered some 3.5 degree camber/caster sleeves from amazon hoping that they will fix all of my alignment woes.

The 4.0 runs great, I am impressed with how decent the automatic feels. I need to figure out how to adjust the speedometer so that I know how fast I am going and can calculate my fuel economy. It is OBDII so maybe I can configure it through there, I'm not sure. It does have front lockers but not rear, so I will probably ask for those for Christmas. I'm pretty happy with the truck. It is nice being able to run the AC all the time and not just on freeways such luxury.

Speedo is either a new gear, or a computer tweak. Both are quick fixes.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
The truck was built late enough into 1995 to have obd2 so I believe that it has a wheel speed sensor rather than the gears in the transmission, but I could be wrong. It passed smog today with no issues whatsoever, first time where I don't have to fix something to get it to pass smog, it is so nice.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Oh, look who's back:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-15108712

So...what? He drove his baby killing 4x4 up a mountain? Context?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The exact same truck as from a couple of pages back.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McDeth posted:

So...what? He drove his baby killing 4x4 up a mountain? Context?

A few pages back and a month ago there was an uproar. This is actually pretty cool that it happened again. Also, the quotes from the pencil pushers over there are hilarious.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

jonathan posted:

A few pages back and a month ago there was an uproar. This is actually pretty cool that it happened again. Also, the quotes from the pencil pushers over there are hilarious.

but this is UNBELIEVABLY DANGEROUS! You can't drive a CAR up a MOUNTAIN! absurd!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Doccers posted:

but this is UNBELIEVABLY DANGEROUS! You can't drive a CAR up a MOUNTAIN! absurd!

Completely irresponsible.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?

Doccers posted:

Either the guy is a complete tool for doing it again, or his mates have pulled a really, really good prank on him...

In other news, got my rear axle rebuilt, and fitted. My Discovery is sitting on its own 4 wheels for the first time in 6 weeks...

Some of the authentic Solihull air holes in the chassis...

New front winch bumper (minus winch, and needing a wash...)

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
Crossposting this from the stupid questions thread because you guys seem like the type to know:

Forseti posted:

Trying to replace the manual hubs on my just purchased '96 F150. I bought some new Warn Premium hubs to replace some old mile marker hubs, one of which was not working correctly. I took out the broken one and went to put the warn in, but it doesn't go in far enough that I can get the c clip in the groove on the stub shaft. I noticed the Warn assembly is longer than the old mile markers:

Is this a problem or did I just neglect to take something out. Also, this thing was in there under the mile marker assembly:

Is that something I still need? Should I have an equivalent part for the Warn hubs? What is it?

As you may have guessed, this is my first part time 4wd vehicle so these might be stupid questions.

Edit: think I've got it figured out. I just had to push the u-joint to get the stub shaft to pop out more to install the lock ring. Didn't have to for the MM hubs though, so it was confusing me. As for that thing, the other side didn't have one so... :iiam:

Forseti fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 4, 2011

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!
Has anyone ever had any trouble with AVM hubs, i am about to put new hubs on my fj40. I would spot for warn but it's a tad bit pricey. Any goons have experience with both?

murphle
Mar 4, 2004

Timbo posted:

Has anyone ever had any trouble with AVM hubs, i am about to put new hubs on my fj40. I would spot for warn but it's a tad bit pricey. Any goons have experience with both?

In the minitruck world the advice is to always use the stock Aisin hubs, since they're retained better and therefore stronger than the aftermarket Warn hubs. Is that not the case with Cruiser hubs?

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

On other forums it seems to be a preference issue. I was wondering if any one has had specific issues with either brand in any application? I have seen both warns and AVM on crusiers .......

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Aisin hubs are also a dime a dozen at wreckers, since every bloody toyota between 1870 and today used em!

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

Bit of a cross post but switched out my drive flange ....

(I forgot to take a picture of what the Drive Flange and cover look like). Its in the very center of the wheel (Silver&Black)
this is from the brake job and for reference.....

Manual hub housing.

All done and not very expensive at all.

Drive flanges are great for true off roading but daily driving causes excessive wear and tear.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
All done, barring the front propshaft UJ. Gave the old girl a wash to celebrate!

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Hey guys!

I bought my first 4x4 today! 2011 Ford F150 fx4 with the super crew cab or whatever they call it.

I'm really pumped to finally have 4x4 it's something that has been in my mind for the last few winters, especially when I'm sitting at home not at work because it's too icy.

Do you guys know of any good resources that I could look up to teach me about how/when to properly use my truck and I dunno some general newbie stuff for beginners with 4x4.

Edit: Pics

SmokeyXIII fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 15, 2011

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SmokeyXIII posted:

Hey guys!

I bought my first 4x4 today! 2011 Ford F150 fx4 with the super crew cab or whatever they call it.

Congrats! I have an '05 and it's the best vehicle i've ever owned.

reddeathdrinker
Aug 5, 2003

Scotland the What?
So my Disco got MOT'd (annual inspection) last Wednesday, failed on 8 bits of welding needed(6 involving front body mounts, 2 on the back of the rear X-member), a brake light bulb and a fuel filler cap - the garage politely told me they wouldn't like to quote for the welding!

The front mounts beside the headlights were completely gone, nothing but fresh air holding the front up. Short length of 80mm x 80mm steel box section later (and 2 dead angle grinders!) I had new mounts knocked up:

And welded in - I'll be putting in new bolts at the start of the week, the drill bit is just to line it up ;)

Also made new body mounting brackets out of the 80mm x 80mm steel for the front end of the sills - thanks to the box section girder my sills are now made out of, there's plenty solid metal to weld them to!

So the moral of the story is: Have faith, learn to weld, and nothing is unsalvageable, especially Mk1 Discoverys!

lathode
Mar 29, 2010
I'm looking at buying a 4x4 soon. I will be moving to Arizona from Washington. My wife currently has an Aveo w/o AC. She will get my Cobalt. I'm 26, I had a K5 Blazer in HS and shortly after, since then I've had a Civic and the Cobalt. I really liked my K5 but it does get horrible gas mileage. I also like the looks of the Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) and was curios how reliable those are, or any other recommendations? I'll be goign through this thread more and the Jeep thread, but wanted a place to start. I'm pretty familiar with K5's, engines, transmissions and whatnot. Not sure about Jeeps.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

lathode posted:

I'm looking at buying a 4x4 soon. I will be moving to Arizona from Washington. My wife currently has an Aveo w/o AC. She will get my Cobalt. I'm 26, I had a K5 Blazer in HS and shortly after, since then I've had a Civic and the Cobalt. I really liked my K5 but it does get horrible gas mileage. I also like the looks of the Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) and was curios how reliable those are, or any other recommendations? I'll be goign through this thread more and the Jeep thread, but wanted a place to start. I'm pretty familiar with K5's, engines, transmissions and whatnot. Not sure about Jeeps.

Cherokee's are fairly reliable. The 4.0l Straight six is tough engine and have been known to go well over 300k with only minimal maintenance. The Autotrans is an AW4 and is equally reliable, Manuals came in 3-4 different versions but I don't know much about those. 1999 is generally agreed as the best version to get, the later models get a low pinion front axle and the dreaded 0331 head. If you know how to turn a wrench it will certainly help things.

There is a great community behind the Jeep brand, just about every model have forums dedicated to them.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 24, 2011

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah the only fault of the 4.0 liter is the fuel economy--you'll get 13-15mpg no matter how you drive it.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah the only fault of the 4.0 liter is the fuel economy--you'll get 13-15mpg no matter how you drive it.

That's somewhat true, although several people have managed to get more out of it. I get 17mpg city and 21mpg highway in my 4.2L carb'd model with LPG conversion, but literally ymmv

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

mod sassinator posted:

I know a few jeep guys that manage 20mpg out of their rigs. I manage 13.4 but using my jeep at work screws me up, I spend a lot of time running around the job site at 10mph and I'm running 31's on 3.55 gears.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 24, 2011

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Veeb0rg posted:

I know a few jeep guys that manage 20mpg out of their rigs. I manage 13.4 but using my jeep at work screws me up, I spend a lot of time running around the job site at 10mph and I'm running 31's on 3.55 gears.

True. You've got to know the limits of your car. It's heavy and not aerodynamic, but has loads of torque. Don't floor it at acceleration and don't push it at high speeds. Going up hills is deadly for the mileage, so get some momentum before climbing. Pretty much the same applies for 95% of all cars out there.

lathode
Mar 29, 2010
Sounds good, I really like K5's but they're just not practicle for a DD, plus finding one in decent shape at a good price would be tough. Looks like $3-5k is the common price for a 99 XJ. Any common issues to look out for? I'm pretty excited, I miss having an SUV.

edit: How long do the automatics last before a rebuild/replacement? Looks like a manual might be hard to find, are those any better?

edit2: How about the Nissan Xterra? Similar price, body on frame instead of unibody if that matters.

lathode fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 24, 2011

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

lathode posted:

edit: How long do the automatics last before a rebuild/replacement? Looks like a manual might be hard to find, are those any better?

My YJ's auto lasted to 185k before it finally gave and needed to be swapped.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

lathode posted:

Sounds good, I really like K5's but they're just not practicle for a DD, plus finding one in decent shape at a good price would be tough. Looks like $3-5k is the common price for a 99 XJ. Any common issues to look out for? I'm pretty excited, I miss having an SUV.

edit2: How about the Nissan Xterra? Similar price, body on frame instead of unibody if that matters.

The AW4 in my 88' XJ is still going strong at 210k. The only problem, and one I've seen before is that the trans computer tends to be on the weak side. I'm shifting mine with switches to the solenoids right now. Fluid has been at the same level and color for about 3 years (since a rubber cooler line cracked).

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

My 87's 4.0 Liter/ AW4 combo got up to 300,000 before I sold it, and it was still going strong.

Got a 99 now, same combo - 4.0 Liter/ AW4, still works beautifully.

The only real "Thing" on the cherokee is the Crankshaft Position Sensor - when it goes tits-up it'll prevent you from starting it. Until you unplug it from the battery for ten seconds and plug it back in, then it'll start right up and you can drive to NAPA and grab another one (if you didn't have a spare in your glovebox for whatever reason).

I get about 18-20 on mine, but yeah, 4.0 liter really eats fuel if your foot is heavy on the accelerator. And it's got enough torque that it's pretty fun to mash on it.

[edit] I'm amused that people are saying they're only getting 13-15 out of their cherokees, because that's what I'm getting out of that Volvo of mine...

Doccers fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 25, 2011

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

jonathan posted:

It looks like its maybe a 10 degree slope. What is "so irresponsible" about driving on this hill?

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Skyssx posted:

It looks like its maybe a 10 degree slope. What is "so irresponsible" about driving on this hill?

IT IS A MOUNTAIN YOU CANNOT DRIVE ON A MOUNTAIN IT IS VERY DANGEROUS! :shivdurf:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
People don't believe me when I tell them my Hummer gets the same mileage as my old cherokee but whateve's... V:v:V

That being said, 4x4's and good mileage generally do not go hand in hand...

I hope AM General/GEP hurries up and releases their small block 3.2L turbodiesel to the civilian market, that will be a popular 4x4 diesel engine swap, small, fits anywhere, decent torque and 20-30 mpg out of almost any 4x4 chassis out there? Yes please...

lathode
Mar 29, 2010
Would anyone recommend a 93-95 4Ruuner over the 97-99 Cherokee? To be practical I need something reliable, I suppose I could consider a 2wd Tacoma, but really prefer a 4WD SUV.

edit: A little research and the 3.0s are crap so I would need a 96+ if I want a 6 cyl.

lathode fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

lathode posted:

Would anyone recommend a 93-95 4Ruuner over the 97-99 Cherokee? To be practical I need something reliable, I suppose I could consider a 2wd Tacoma, but really prefer a 4WD SUV.

edit: A little research and the 3.0s are crap so I would need a 96+ if I want a 6 cyl.

Avoid any 3VZE with more than 100,000 on it. Head gasket failures are a constant threat, combined with non stop ignition problems. Igniters, coils and distributors tend to fail strangely, randomly and completely without warning. Not only that, but the 3.0 literally gets the gas mileage of V8, while having only slightly more torque than the 4 cylinder. Engine aside, the 4 runner is an extremely durable, capable vehicle, however the cherokee has the advantage of a solid front axle. I'd take a 5 speed, 22re equipped, solid axle swapped 4runner over a Cherokee any day, but I'm Toyota biased.