Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Ooh, SV650 rat-fighter. That's my plan too; do you have any pics of bikes you're inspired by? Any particular plan how you're going to design yours?

I'm mainly planning to mess with the bars some to adjust seating position, swap out any clean parts for cosmetically-beat ones, paint the coloured bits Coyote Brown, and then stencil Arabic military-style script onto the tank.

Basically I want to get some of the M1030M1 aesthetics into the SV:

Combined with a little bit of this:

My seller up in Philly gave more details on the bike; as y'all note the spedo is glitchy because of the front-end swap, one of the magnets came loose, so that's throwing it off. Some minor cosmetic damage, needs better mirrors, and the toe peg (not the arm) of the foot shifter is held together by tape. He says he's in no huge hurry to sell and has been really busy with work, but we're looking for a time in the next couple weeks to meet on an evening. He seemed pretty straight up, and insistent that I see all the detailed pics before I decide. This is overall sounding like a pretty good price ($2500, he bought it for $2400) for about the exact variant I want and with low mileage. I think I'll just bring a new toe-peg and a set of bar-ends up with me when I go to pick it up.

My plan is to undo all the fuckery the previous owner did with is "upgrades" then either paint the tank with chalkboard paint so I can draw anything I want on it or have my friend do some WWII graffiti or stencil work on the black parts of the bike or go full-out Mad Max on it since it's ratty as gently caress anyway and I'm likely gonna sell it after I'm done learning to get a BMW dual sport or a better/mint SV650 and leave it looking as close to a real bike as possible. I might as well have some fun with this thing though since it's dead-easy to repaint and repair and is already half-way to a junkyard. :D

Dazzle camo would be kind of cool, too, though.

Maybe in homage to my best childhood friend just roll the streetfighter theme and add this to the front of the bike:

I'll upload some photohsop ideas for the bike later so you can have a general idea of different military themes you could do for the bike. A fighter plane mouth would be kind of sick, too. :D

Anyway!

Work on the bike today:

The previous owner thought it would be a brilliant idea to smoke the taillights and remove the turn signals. Being that this is my first bike and I know this is the kind of poo poo I hate on cars and is definitely unsafe on anything, it's the first thing I'm going to fix. With the help of a friend who I met through my roommate/friend and his cache of awesome tools and scrap from his job as an electrician, we embark on un-loving the "fender eliminator" that was basically worse scrap metal than what we're about to put on:

Cleaning up the area:

Fitting scrap aluminum we found in his back yard from a piece of an old game The Boardwalk used to have in Santa Cruz. Reuse and recycle, people!

Not bad for stuff lying around, eh? My friend was definitely inebriated and extremely high while doing most of the cuts and fitting. It was quite an amazing thing to watch him work, actually.

He's going to be taking it to his welder at his work to replace the bolts with proper TIG welds and then bead blast it and paint it to match the rest of the bike. Guy is seriously awesome.

Also, the next thing to go on the bike so I don't get pulled over for having a machine gun of an exhaust:

:D

edit: Took the bike for my first real ride today with a friend. Almost had to test my armor when I ended up swerving to avoid a patch of gravel and ripped a bit too much throttle. Luckily I regained control because I had a cool head and got the bike upright before anything crazy happened (My friend who was watching me said I almost completely ate total poo poo but recovered correctly) and then rode around Santa Cruz's back roads until nightfall. So today I learned how to properly countersteer, not die, night ride, and managed to get the bike up to about 70 and felt pretty comfortable on it despite the weird tread wear on the back tire. Still have a lot of learning to do, but I've made it about 40 miles so far without crashing, so I'm gonna give myself a gold star anyway. :woop:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

Xovaan posted:

Cool stuff

Excellent, It's a nice looking bike. How does it feel without a windscreen? I've never driven one that was completely naked before.

One thing I've learned so far, is to always respect my bike or it will literally kill me. I probably go a little too slowly around some corners, especially when it's wet. And that it's easier to fall over going slow than it is going fast. Going slow has cost me 150 bucks so far :argh: drat slalom practice.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, I have to learn to speed the gently caress up. I roll on the throttle around corners and it feels extremely stable, but I still am sketched out about approaching turns any faster than the posted turn speed limits. Luckily this bike is motosliders so I'll just have to worry about destroying the awful mirrors (that are going to be replaced soon).

The windscreen (or lack thereof) is kind of weird. I don't really have other bikes to compare to, but I don't even feel wind until upwards of 50+mph and by that point I just tuck in and it isn't too bad. You do kind of feel like you're getting pushed off the bike a bit. This is all just the physical of it. Everything else involved, it's loving awesome, like you're running really really fast wile sitting down in a chair.

Next up: Figure out exactly what wires on the bike attach to the front turn signals, fabricate a bracket and mount them... then put on this Yoshimura TRS exhaust :D

Anyone have any idea on a proper way to shorten the brake and throttle cables? The previous owner used the front end from a GSXR and didn't bother matching the accessories so they kind of hang with a few too many inches under the brake lever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

Yeah, I have to learn to speed the gently caress up. I roll on the throttle around corners and it feels extremely stable, but I still am sketched out about approaching turns any faster than the posted turn speed limits. Luckily this bike is motosliders so I'll just have to worry about destroying the awful mirrors (that are going to be replaced soon).

The windscreen (or lack thereof) is kind of weird. I don't really have other bikes to compare to, but I don't even feel wind until upwards of 50+mph and by that point I just tuck in and it isn't too bad. You do kind of feel like you're getting pushed off the bike a bit. This is all just the physical of it. Everything else involved, it's loving awesome, like you're running really really fast wile sitting down in a chair.

Next up: Figure out exactly what wires on the bike attach to the front turn signals, fabricate a bracket and mount them... then put on this Yoshimura TRS exhaust :D

Anyone have any idea on a proper way to shorten the brake and throttle cables? The previous owner used the front end from a GSXR and didn't bother matching the accessories so they kind of hang with a few too many inches under the brake lever.

Don't worry about coming into corners faster. Golden rule is slow in, fast out. You want to be at the lowest overall speed while you can't see through the corner, so that generally means you're going to be coming in slow, getting on maintenance throttle, and then waiting until things open up visually, you pick your line and go. You've got plenty of time to learn to go fast, take it slow while you're starting out. The track will teach you speed, street riding is about safety and getting home intact.

Sometimes sliders help in a crash, sometimes they don't. They're more for driveway tipovers vs. actual crashes at speed. I've seen them help a lot, I've also seen them turn what should have been an uneventfal crash into a tumble or torn motor mount when they dig in.

You can try and change the routing on the cables, but likely you should just live wtih the layout. They need enough slack that they can move without pulling at lock on each side.

Are those mirrors the folding type? If they are, I'll take them off your hands :)

Also, what could you have done to avoid having to swerve for that gravel? Did you really need to swerve for the gravel or was the reaction to it worse than just riding through it? Every close call should be analyzed to see how you can avoid it in the future.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 23, 2011

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was turning left on a blind corner and still not used to the friction zone of my clutch. The speed was under 10mph so I was actually turning my handlebars. The bike got a blip too much throttle and startled me with its takeoff but I righted the bike, feathered the clutch, and eased off the throttle. It wasn't that big of a deal to me because I knew the bike has the potential to be a rocket and at the same time know what happens when you panic in bad situations. Hah. I'm not saying I wasn't lucky to have calculated it like that but (luckily as well) I've encountered similar problems with my car when the clutch was funky and K-Jet made my car's throttle stick and send me hurling forward in bad/confined areas. Definitely my wakeup call to the potential of the bike, though. Haha

And yeah, I just meant that I feel like I'm approaching corners too slow. I'm pretty much a grandma when I drive my 240 so it's a huge difference being on something that has as much horsepower as my car but a tenth the weight. The roads around here are like 15mph twisties at times and cars go way too fast. It's a constant struggle, even in my poor car. :ohdear: (I'm in Felton off of the 9, by the way)

The mirrors are the round handlebar ones you can get on ebay for $50, but I'm a lanky gorilla so I can't actually see anything with them unless I crouch down/back. It doesn't help that the previous owner installed them upside down, but even with me fixing them, they still kind of suck a ton.

For today: Gonna attempt to install the front turn signals and this Yoshimura TRS exhaust. When we test fitted it, the thing popped a lot (and sporadically) at idle so I don't know what's up with that. But it isn't nearly as loud as the Delkevic stubby exhaust on it right now and I don't want to piss off the cops at school.

Z3n, happen to know what the wires look like for the front signals on a 99SV650? :haw: I may just have to route new wires from the relay unless you know a better way.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7MQkEPdNfU

Okay, here's some video of my SV running, and you can hear the sound I'm concerned about at around 1:18.

I'm doing a bunch of short little blips because it's most noticeable right off of idle.

Bumping from bottom of page purgatory. Z3n...think this is the cam chain tensioner?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Two '05 SV650s, exact same colour/frame, similar prices: which should I go for?

Bike A, $2500:
- 3,000 miles
- Yamaha R6 front end, "set up as a track bike"
- Minor cosmetic damage
- Requires a 2hr train ride to Philly, picked up by seller for 40m car ride

Bike B $2300:
- Major dent in tank from "5mph drop" - planning to rat-bike anyway, but I won't be able to sell the current tank for profit since it isn't clean
- M4 exhaust ($200+ retail), Gel Seat ($75 retail?), LSL handlebar ($300+ retail?), rear tire hugger, new rear tire, rear fender eliminator kit
- Requires a 45m subway ride to end of line, picked up by seller for 10m car ride

The Philly bike A has much lower mileage, but it's going to be a haul out there and the seller doesn't seem in any huge hurry, implies it could take weeks for us to find a time to deal. Bike A has a R6 front installed new, but no other goodies, Bike B has some flash junk, but also nice bars and exhaust. Bike B is less hassle to get to, tank is pre-ratted, but lose the ~$200ish selling a clean tank could get me.

Same exact model, slightly different details. Which sounds like the better deal?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Two '05 SV650s, exact same colour/frame, similar prices: which should I go for?

Bike A, $2500:
- 3,000 miles
- Yamaha R6 front end, "set up as a track bike"
- Minor cosmetic damage
- Requires a 2hr train ride to Philly, picked up by seller for 40m car ride

Bike B $2300:
- Major dent in tank from "5mph drop" - planning to rat-bike anyway, but I won't be able to sell the current tank for profit since it isn't clean
- M4 exhaust ($200+ retail), Gel Seat ($75 retail?), LSL handlebar ($300+ retail?), rear tire hugger, new rear tire, rear fender eliminator kit
- Requires a 45m subway ride to end of line, picked up by seller for 10m car ride

The Philly bike A has much lower mileage, but it's going to be a haul out there and the seller doesn't seem in any huge hurry, implies it could take weeks for us to find a time to deal. Bike A has a R6 front installed new, but no other goodies, Bike B has some flash junk, but also nice bars and exhaust. Bike B is less hassle to get to, tank is pre-ratted, but lose the ~$200ish selling a clean tank could get me.

Same exact model, slightly different details. Which sounds like the better deal?

I realize you want a "rat bike", but being able to sell the tank and replace it with a hosed up one is going to net you like... 100 bucks? Why even worry about something like that? I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, sorry if it comes off that way, but I mean why?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

invision posted:

I realize you want a "rat bike", but being able to sell the tank and replace it with a hosed up one is going to net you like... 100 bucks? Why even worry about something like that? I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, sorry if it comes off that way, but I mean why?

I guess I was just thinking that a $2500 bike with a good tank is a $2400 bike once I make $100 on the tank. But honestly, I have a pretty good job so spending days dicking around for $100 savings in my spare time probably isn't that efficient.

I guess the main question is whether 13k miles makes $2300 too high, whether the added custom stuff is as good a deal as they look, and whether this dent is structurally concerning:

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

I guess I was just thinking that a $2500 bike with a good tank is a $2400 bike once I make $100 on the tank. But honestly, I have a pretty good job so spending days dicking around for $100 savings in my spare time probably isn't that efficient.

I guess the main question is whether 13k miles makes $2300 too high, whether the added custom stuff is as good a deal as they look, and whether this dent is structurally concerning:

That looks like a pretty bad dent. And also it's missing a bar end, and the bar looks kind of squished right there. Yeah, I'd pass on that.

The time you waste trying to part it out in exchange for shittier parts, combined with the headache of finding everything, is probably not going to be worth your time.

e:And aftermarket poo poo doesn't add value unless you want it to. If you're willing to pay more for a bike with an exhaust, then you are. If you don't give a poo poo, then it has no value to you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Bumping from bottom of page purgatory. Z3n...think this is the cam chain tensioner?

Sorry for not replying earlier, I was browsing from my phone, and it doesn't cooperate with youtube all the time.

There's definitely a sound of some sort there, but it's really hard to tell what's going on exactly. Does the sound come and go? Most of the time the CCT noise won't be consistent and will disappear at higher RPM, it just rattles badly just off idle.

If it were my bike, I'd pull the front valve cover, check the valves while I was in there, and check the tension on the cam chain. If it's loose, then I'd probably check/pull the CCT and see where it's at. If it's bound up, it might have gotten loose and that's what is causing the rattle. CCT failures on the SV style design are pretty rare but not unheard of, and that rattle could definitely be the start of a CCT failure. Sometimes you'll end up with a little grit in the pawls that it deploys on and that'll jam it up and stop it from extending as the cam chain wears.

Xovaan posted:

I was turning left on a blind corner and still not used to the friction zone of my clutch. The speed was under 10mph so I was actually turning my handlebars. The bike got a blip too much throttle and startled me with its takeoff but I righted the bike, feathered the clutch, and eased off the throttle. It wasn't that big of a deal to me because I knew the bike has the potential to be a rocket and at the same time know what happens when you panic in bad situations. Hah. I'm not saying I wasn't lucky to have calculated it like that but (luckily as well) I've encountered similar problems with my car when the clutch was funky and K-Jet made my car's throttle stick and send me hurling forward in bad/confined areas. Definitely my wakeup call to the potential of the bike, though. Haha

And yeah, I just meant that I feel like I'm approaching corners too slow. I'm pretty much a grandma when I drive my 240 so it's a huge difference being on something that has as much horsepower as my car but a tenth the weight. The roads around here are like 15mph twisties at times and cars go way too fast. It's a constant struggle, even in my poor car. :ohdear: (I'm in Felton off of the 9, by the way)

The mirrors are the round handlebar ones you can get on ebay for $50, but I'm a lanky gorilla so I can't actually see anything with them unless I crouch down/back. It doesn't help that the previous owner installed them upside down, but even with me fixing them, they still kind of suck a ton.

For today: Gonna attempt to install the front turn signals and this Yoshimura TRS exhaust. When we test fitted it, the thing popped a lot (and sporadically) at idle so I don't know what's up with that. But it isn't nearly as loud as the Delkevic stubby exhaust on it right now and I don't want to piss off the cops at school.

Z3n, happen to know what the wires look like for the front signals on a 99SV650? :haw: I may just have to route new wires from the relay unless you know a better way.

They're a ~1 inch long, narrow 2 pin connector. Don't have a wiring diagram in front of me, and my right side one isn't hooked up at the moment so I can't just compare on my bike. :v:

I'm gonna put a set of bar ends on my bike once I pull the fairing but I haven't had the chance to do that yet. Busy busy for the next weeks while we sort out moving.

TaptheForwardAssist, I'd probably go with bike B, if you're already planning on ratting it out.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Z3n posted:

TaptheForwardAssist, I'd probably go with bike B, if you're already planning on ratting it out.

So the tank dent doesn't seem structurally bad (ugly but don't pin-leak gas on me)? And 3k miles vs. 13k isn't a terribly big deal on a 2005 bike?

As invision notes, the end of the bar in the pic seems a little beat, and the custom lifted bars are definitely appealing to me, so will check to make sure they're okay overall. Only issue is to make sure I can get a bar-send into the dented bar so I can mount bar-end mirrors.

Bike B is a little easier for me to get to, and the guy seems a slightly more motivated seller so I should be able to get it within a week vice 2-3+ weeks. He's insisting he's "firm" on $2300 and that a neighbor is vaguely willing to buy it at that price, but maybe if I gripe on the drop damage it can come down a bit.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

I think you need to stop trying to decide sight-unseen. When you're looking at bikes that you *know* have been worked over (and even bikes that haven't been), you need to go into it expecting to do a thorough physical inspection and, yeah, maybe taking the subway back home.

Take Bike B for example: that dent isn't such a big deal; I'd guess he was going a little faster than 5mph, but whatever. My question would be whether the forks are intact and straight, whether the bars turn freely through their full range of motion, whether the front-end suspension (as minimal as it might be on an SV) seems to be in good shape, whether the bike tracks straight and turns properly in a test ride. Without knowing these things -- some of which need direct hands-on confirmation you can't get from photos -- I wouldn't get my heart set on that machine.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Take Bike B for example: that dent isn't such a big deal; I'd guess he was going a little faster than 5mph, but whatever. My question would be whether the forks are intact and straight, whether the bars turn freely through their full range of motion, whether the front-end suspension (as minimal as it might be on an SV) seems to be in good shape, whether the bike tracks straight and turns properly in a test ride. Without knowing these things -- some of which need direct hands-on confirmation you can't get from photos -- I wouldn't get my heart set on that machine.

Bike A is out of the picture; the seller holds the title, but apparently used the bike as collateral to a cash-rich friend. Seller claims his friend has a vested interest in the sale and demanded he raise the price $500, so that's out.

Bike B I have a time to go see Thursday night; there's the dent, he said the shifter broke and has been acting "a little funny since it needs to be calibrated or something". Though since the main symptom is "hard time finding neutral" and he's not an experienced rider, I wonder if he's just having trouble finding neutral period. He's going to check the bars to see if they'll still take a bar-end or if the left bar is too squished. He claims other than that it's fine, so I'll at least go check it out. I also haven't ever ridden an SV650, so it'd be better sooner than later to test-ride one and see if it rubs me right or wrong. But, like you say, I'll be willing to go back to the subway if it doesn't check out.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I think you need to stop trying to decide sight-unseen. When you're looking at bikes that you *know* have been worked over (and even bikes that haven't been), you need to go into it expecting to do a thorough physical inspection and, yeah, maybe taking the subway back home.

This is a good point, when I was looking I test drove a used SV650 at a dealer that looked fine but somehow pulled to the right when going straight.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My SV650 is pretty twitchy at high speeds and the tire wear on the back is flat because the previous owner never filled his tires. I take the sensitivity is due to the geometry changes from converting to a GSXR750 front end or possibly the steering damper being worn.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

King Nothing posted:

This is a good point, when I was looking I test drove a used SV650 at a dealer that looked fine but somehow pulled to the right when going straight.

That could also be just due to having the rear wheel misaligned, which isn't all that difficult to correct.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

My SV650 is pretty twitchy at high speeds and the tire wear on the back is flat because the previous owner never filled his tires. I take the sensitivity is due to the geometry changes from converting to a GSXR750 front end or possibly the steering damper being worn.

More likely due to lovely wear on the tires from the owner never filling them, or operator error...you shouldn't be weighting the bars at all. Could also be lovely bay area freeway paving too.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm absolutely certain it's the tire wear. Gonna be buying new tires soon.

What do you recommend for commuting? My friend who has been riding a while swears by Pilot 3's.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

What do you recommend for commuting? My friend who has been riding a while swears by Pilot 3's.

You've got a smart friend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Xovaan posted:

I've been real happy with my pilot road 2's so I'm sure the 3's are just as good if not better

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm happy with the Pilot Road 2s I've got the SV right now.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

He has them on his S1000RR which is why I figured they'd be okay. :)

Thanks for the input! Gonna order some later this week.

edit: what oil do you guys recommend? The bike is a '99 but the engine is a 2005 using the '99's carbs. Still 10w40 synthetic moto like the svrider faq says?

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 26, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Rotella T 15w40 dinosaur oil 4 lyfe

It's cheap as hell, and it works great in motorcycles.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I use Rotella T6 5W40, mainly because it's highly recommended for both the SV and my WRX.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I also use T6 (not sure what weight) since I got it cheap on sale awhile back.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Another T6 user, because I couldn't afford the Holiest of Holy Motorex for my KTM.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T6 here, run it in everything...SV, CRF, VW, etc.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'll try Rotella T then! Thanks a ton, guys.

Any idea why my bike pops a lot with a Yoshimura exhaust installed? It kind of sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q4Ht-42Va4

But without that horrible and foreboding slapping sound coming from the engine, obviously. :xd:

I'm thinking I should switch to regular fuel from premium and replace the air filter before I start messing with carbs but I have no idea.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I'll try Rotella T then! Thanks a ton, guys.

Any idea why my bike pops a lot with a Yoshimura exhaust installed? It kind of sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q4Ht-42Va4

But without that horrible and foreboding slapping sound coming from the engine, obviously. :xd:

I'm thinking I should switch to regular fuel from premium and replace the air filter before I start messing with carbs but I have no idea.

Any aftermarket exhaust will pop. It pops with the stock exhaust too, it's just much more muffled.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

The other problem I seem to be having is excessive backfire while engine braking and it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what's up but I might have to take it to a shop to see what the deal is. Or I might sell it and try for something a bit more stock (and preferably with fuel injection) so I don't get stranded on the way to a midterm or something. It's still a blast though and I wanna work through this before I do anything drastic!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

The other problem I seem to be having is excessive backfire while engine braking and it seems to be getting worse. I don't know what's up but I might have to take it to a shop to see what the deal is. Or I might sell it and try for something a bit more stock (and preferably with fuel injection) so I don't get stranded on the way to a midterm or something. It's still a blast though and I wanna work through this before I do anything drastic!

Can you post a video of it? It's probably honestly not a big deal at all. Run some seafoam through the tank. Could also be that they left the PAIR system hooked up so it's dumping air into the exhaust causing popping.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It sounds like a naturally aspirated car with no backpressure and it's only happening when I'm riding so I can't really post a video of it unfortunately. :(

But riding to school today it was also making sort of a snapping or tapping sound on rolling off the throttle to initiate engine braking in addition to the popping/backfiring which is why I am concerned. But if he did indeed leave the PAIR system hooked up and it's running lean, then that probably explains the problem!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Xovaan posted:

It sounds like a naturally aspirated car with no backpressure and it's only happening when I'm riding so I can't really post a video of it unfortunately. :(

But riding to school today it was also making sort of a snapping or tapping sound on rolling off the throttle to initiate engine braking in addition to the popping/backfiring which is why I am concerned. But if he did indeed leave the PAIR system hooked up and it's running lean, then that probably explains the problem!

The PAIR system will not make the bike run lean, it injects fresh air into the exhaust system to reduce emissions. It's not putting any extra air through the intake.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

The PAIR system will not make the bike run lean, it injects fresh air into the exhaust system to reduce emissions. It's not putting any extra air through the intake.

Correct, however that additional air in the exhaust causes popping on decel.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm gonna take it by Santa Cruz Cycle Imports sometime next week and see if they can see what's wrong with it. The next few weeks are too busy for me to work on figuring out what's wrong myself, unfortunately, and I'd rather have a professional diagnosis, even if it's just finding out what's wrong and then me fixing it myself to save time.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
My silly chain guard rattled loose today. Parked it, looked it over, and there it is missing it's rear screw and hanging down. It didn't have much damage from the chain aside from the abrasions you would expect, so I think it only happened in the last 200m or so before I parked.

Guess I'll use some thread locker now... As soon as I find a screw.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

At least it didn't do severe damage! Should be an easy Home Depot fix hopefully.

Exhaust installed! No more ricer fart can setting off car alarms in the campus parking lot (true story, and quite often).

My friend's riding it to work next week to replace the ~wicked awesome~ zipties with a welded bracket.

I also put 4oz of seafoam in a full tank of 87 and hoping it cleans the carbs. They're the original ones and have about 40k. The one thing I've noticed with this exhaust is that because there's proper back pressure, the bike has a lot more power and isn't popping on deceleration anymore. Like, the bike loving gets up and goes and revs to the limiter without much fuss.

I think everything's looking good so far! Now to order some Pilot Road 3's...

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011

Xovaan posted:

full tank of 87

I want to ask about this because I just realized that I don't know what the gently caress. The previous owner said to use premium, so that's what I've been using. I don't have a manual despite my efforts with google, so I'm not sure what grade of fuel is actually recommended for a 2000 SV650s in the owners manual.

Nice exhaust by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I believe the manual says 87 although you'll allegedly get better mileage and slightly better performance with a higher octane. Whether you feel it's worth the added cost is up to you (I certainly don't).

And thanks! It's a huge improvement over the Delkevic stubby exhaust that was on prior to this one (my ears don't bleed after riding to school).

• Locked thread