Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

einTier posted:

Playmobil has always been a little subversive. There's a devil Playmobil along with some stereotypically wrong African "savages". But all the worst best can be seen here in the 17 least appropriate Playmobil sets for children.

I want all of those.

Surprised this didn't make it on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Amoeba102 posted:

I remember the old sets having a set of alternate builds on the back of the box or the instruction booklet. The couple of licensed sets I'v seen don't have these. Is it just the licensed sets or have these been scrapped on newer sets?
The early Star Wars sets definitely had them.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I think most sets stopped having alternate models around 2001 or 2002.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
A giant fiberglass LEGO minifig mysteriously washes up in Florida. Even weirder, this is not the first time something like this has happened :psyduck:

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

3 posted:

A giant fiberglass LEGO minifig mysteriously washes up in Florida. Even weirder, this is not the first time something like this has happened :psyduck:

Even MORE weird, it was posted on the last page

Also, the wife and I are starting to get into Legos more, it's a good crafty thing we do as a couple. If only they weren't so damned expensive.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, the difference in price pretty Bricklink and e-bay for that Space Shuttle Adventure is crazy. It's almost 100% more expensive on e-bay.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

3 posted:

wait till you see the LEGO beach house he came in :stare:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Walmart had the Alien tri-walker on sale for $15 and I couldn't resist. It's a really great set!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
I don't know where else to ask... I have an opened UCS Millennium Falcon that I want to sell off in time to get some holiday cash. I don't want to charge a scalping price but I would like to get something close to the going rate for an opened set with minor damage to the box and instructions (which seems to be about $1200 right now). What would be my best bet for selling it quickly? Bricklink, eBay, SA Mart? Would I get more for it if I waited another month?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

ChesterJT posted:

Walmart had the Alien tri-walker on sale for $15 and I couldn't resist. It's a really great set!

It is great. I got one on sale too, I love the jail pod. Fond memories of my big Space Police roller thing with the removeable jail cell. I actually still have all of my old Legos, I need to get them from home.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Time Cowboy posted:

I don't know where else to ask... I have an opened UCS Millennium Falcon that I want to sell off in time to get some holiday cash. I don't want to charge a scalping price but I would like to get something close to the going rate for an opened set with minor damage to the box and instructions (which seems to be about $1200 right now). What would be my best bet for selling it quickly? Bricklink, eBay, SA Mart? Would I get more for it if I waited another month?

It's crazy that the -cheapest- price on BL is $1000, and that's without box or instructions.
Ebay's probably your most reliable way of selling it--every auction for the set has bidders except for one recently listed one that starts at $900. If you list it at $600, you'd probably get about $1000 for it. Cheapest it's gone for on ebay is because someone foolishly listed it at $650 for Buy It Now. But then you have to deal with ebay.
If you live in a decent-sized city, if you post it for a reasonable price on craigslist (say $1000 or best offer), I figure it'd be gone within a couple days.
I'd love to have it myself, but no way am I going to pay what anyone wants now.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Has anyone else noticed any parallels between those Playmobil sets and the collectible minifigs?

(Please let there be a hobo minifig in series 8.)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just a heads up: Amazon.fr has the unimog for 127 euros, down from 190. Its not even november and I'm thinking of spending my monthly toy allowance already.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

Has anyone else noticed any parallels between those Playmobil sets and the collectible minifigs?

Theres an almost identical Cleopatra & snake combo.

Never got the snake connection till now either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've not looked at playmobil since I was a kid, but those sets look amazing.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

It's crazy that the -cheapest- price on BL is $1000, and that's without box or instructions.
Ebay's probably your most reliable way of selling it--every auction for the set has bidders except for one recently listed one that starts at $900. If you list it at $600, you'd probably get about $1000 for it. Cheapest it's gone for on ebay is because someone foolishly listed it at $650 for Buy It Now. But then you have to deal with ebay.
If you live in a decent-sized city, if you post it for a reasonable price on craigslist (say $1000 or best offer), I figure it'd be gone within a couple days.
I'd love to have it myself, but no way am I going to pay what anyone wants now.

I appreciate the tips. It seems that I'd get a better price on BL but I don't think things sell very fast there.

Baggy_Brad
Jun 9, 2003

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MaliciousOnion posted:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Baggy_Brad posted:

Now I got ragtime silent movie piano playing in my head :argh:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
He'd need a broken bottle and a flaming garbage can for accessories. Or a trolley full of baked bean cans if he's British.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

MaliciousOnion posted:

Here's mine

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pyroclastic posted:

This really makes me want to buy 2 of the Super Star Destroyer kits.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Colonial Air Force posted:

This really makes me want to buy 2 of the Super Star Destroyer kits.

I tried to convince my fiance on this (I haven't bought it yet). She didn't go for it.

Maybe I can get her to come around once it's actually time to purchase it...

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

einTier posted:

Playmobil has always been a little subversive. There's a devil Playmobil along with some stereotypically wrong African "savages". But all the worst best can be seen here in the 17 least appropriate Playmobil sets for children.

The Playmobil line of video games are actually surprisingly well done (especially compared to Lego brand games). The bum pictured here is in one of them, he's trained squirrels to forage food for him. :unsmith:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I braved Sainsburys at lunchtime (for those who don't know it's a UK supermarket chain that has a blanket half price on all toys for a week or so around this time every year) and predictably the lego had been pretty much picked clean. Not that it has a big selection to begin with.

Got a dinky city jetboat thing for a couple of quid and for some reason they had loads of Ultimate Build Francesco. For some reason my kid and all his friends love the character so I grabbed a couple. It looks like it's got some nice curved pieces and the light green colour is pretty cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Francesco doesnt look that interesting, though it occured to me that on the smaller scale models of him, his head could be popped on to a R2-D2 for a hilarious angry-eyes droid.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I have enough disposable income and enough desire to make a profit that I'm going to buy a couple of big sets and sell them when they have increased in value.

What's the best set for that right now? I'd want them to turn a profit in about a year or so.

I was thinking of getting either the Star Destroyer or the Death Star.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Gravy Jones posted:

I braved Sainsburys at lunchtime (for those who don't know it's a UK supermarket chain that has a blanket half price on all toys for a week or so around this time every year) and predictably the lego had been pretty much picked clean. Not that it has a big selection to begin with.

Got a dinky city jetboat thing for a couple of quid and for some reason they had loads of Ultimate Build Francesco. For some reason my kid and all his friends love the character so I grabbed a couple. It looks like it's got some nice curved pieces and the light green colour is pretty cool.
I managed to go to Sainsburys this morning on the way to work. Not sure how much Lego they had had in stock to begin with, but the shelves where about 80% empty. I basically got at least one of everything that was left (bar some Ninjago sets), and ended up with this haul for just under £47:

Half of them will go as Christmas presents this year, the rest will be stockpiled for a few years until my as-yet-unborn son is old enough not to try and eat the blocks.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Fuuuuuuuuck. <scarpers to Sainsbury's>

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

I have enough disposable income and enough desire to make a profit that I'm going to buy a couple of big sets and sell them when they have increased in value.

What's the best set for that right now? I'd want them to turn a profit in about a year or so.

I was thinking of getting either the Star Destroyer or the Death Star.

I'd go with the Death Star right now. It's a couple years old and will probably be discontinued within the next year, and it has a wealth of minifigs (some are exclusive to the set) that can boost demand later down the line. The Super Star Destroyer's readily available from Lego, and will be for the next few years, so it'd be stupid to expect a profit it on it inside of a year.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Saint Sputnik posted:

Here's mine

What in the fresh hell is his bindle made of?

VVV Well that's so clever I could poo poo myself.

Flavor Bear fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 27, 2011

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

It appears to be a Ninja Wrap headpiece.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Flavor Bear posted:

VVV Well that's so clever I could poo poo myself.

Unfortunately it only looks right from that angle; viewed from the side or back the effect is spoiled. Lego needs to make a "loot bag" accessory with a combo grip/clip on top (and a dollar sign printed on the side). Like this:

One of these days I'll try designing some accessories in 3D and making them through one of those plastic printing outfits.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck. <scarpers to Sainsbury's>

You're going to be disappointed!

Pulled a late night shift today, but the stories from this morning were the usual affair of customers acting in very unfriendly ways. As regards to Lego: at the front of the store we had an ex-pumpkin shipper filled with Lego sets. It was all gone before an hour had passed, and the store opened to customers at 7. Eeesh.

We managed to trickle out a few more sets over the day but good people of Britain: We are out...at least at my store. We managed to clear every toy we had out of the warehouse, so what's left on the shelves is all we have. I believe our sales figures sit at about £50,000 on toys today.

Heads up to Brit-goons: toy stocks are allocated to stores based on their sales for the first day or two, so there's a delay before more stock comes in. Sunday night is normally when the second-wave of toys arrives (and hopefully the Lego) so get your asses down to Sainsbury's on Monday morning if you want a second shot at half-price goodies.

GRAVY-JONES! Check your receipt on the Francesco kits. There was a pricing error on those kits so they weren't scanning at half-price. If you paid £25, go back and get the difference back. We had this problem all day and it had to be manually altered each transaction.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I took advantage of TRU's "spend $50 on Lego stuff and get $10 off" deal today. Got three city sets, the Small Car, Satellite Launch Pad and Camper. Small Car is just a simple $5 or so set but it's pretty cute. I really dug the Camper. The Satellite Launch Pad was a little underwhelming but I'm a sucker for space stuff. The last two times I went to TRU (both this month) I forgot to ask about the minifig magnets but today I remembered. The lady had no clue what I was talking about (she actually acted like she had never heard the word magnet before in her life much less anything to do with her job) and spent a while digging through TRU fliers before asking another guy there about it. Luckily he knew right away and grabbed one for me. I guess there haven't been a lot of people asking for them at our store! Whatever, I've now got a retro space man on my fridge.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Some guy on Craigslist around here bought a crazy guy's collection and put one thing up for sale. 5 Grand Emporiums modified and put together for one massive building. He only has pictures of the floors separated but needless to say it's impressive. He wants $500 for it, which is obviously a good deal, but the problem is the guy modified a lot of it, some pieces don't seem right, all the mini-figures are gone, etc. I'm still tempted to make an offer...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Most stuff had gone, but there's a few cheaper kits still on the shelf. The little ADU wheeled vehicle, for example, and a lot of the small City stuff. I might go back in the morning and see what £20 will get me, although I wonder if I'm just buying for the sake of buying...

Transformers were completely wiped out, so your tip about Monday morning is good, thanks. See if I can get me a 10 quid Voyager...

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
Found this today and was pretty impressed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFjREmhAAOQ

It's always amazing to see a creative idea in action and this is one of those things that makes me go "drat, I wanna try that."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The design of those screws are loving insane.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'What the, has he lost his marbles? That looks kind of dull. *click* :aaaaa:'

Also found this: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=150009

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
All the cool kids are doing microspace fleets, and I've never actually built in micro before, so I figured I might as well get in on that action.

Click for flickr set!

The fleet consists of fighter-sized Deepeye-class jumplabs, a bunch of purpose-built destroyers based on a modular Dagger-class chassis, and the big 'ol VS-04 Musashi acting as flagship and also showing off my intense love for ring sections on ships.