Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Bobulus posted:

Do we even know if the tadpole survived the Forge?

Here's a quote from [S] Seer: Descend that I expect will become very relevant soon: 'Though we adore Him we shall never enjoy His beauteous Croak. We spill our blood on acres of black and white so they may cross the yellow yard. At last in Skaia's reflection through broken glass He may find the pond in which He's meant to squat.' I wonder what that pond is going to be and what the reflection is of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cyrai posted:

Also, why were there two Sollices again? I can't remember what was up with that

There were originally three. Real Sollux on Alternia and two dream Sollux on Prospit and Derse.

Real Sollux died on/right before entering the medium from Fef's Lusus' glub that murders people. Sollux was revived as one of his dreamselves, which I think is the current "alive" Sollux on the meteor. The other DreamSollux was killed when Jack destroyed Prospit and Derse and is was found by Aradia in a dreambubble, who is now hanging out by the Green Sun when Rose and Dave appear.

Real Sollux - Dead
Dream Sollux - Dead with Aradia
Dream Sollux - About to die on Meteor.

I think.

creationist believer posted:

Here's a quote from [S] Seer: Descend that I expect will become very relevant soon: 'Though we adore Him we shall never enjoy His beauteous Croak. We spill our blood on acres of black and white so they may cross the yellow yard. At last in Skaia's reflection through broken glass He may find the pond in which He's meant to squat.' I wonder what that pond is going to be and what the reflection is of.

If the frog is meant to replace/absorb battlefield/Skaia and the frog is still fine inside the volcano, Jade could very well create their new universe once again since she took those planets with her.

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 26, 2011

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
I began reading Homestuck this summer, and finished reading it the very day it went on hiatus. So I don't understand it quite as well as my friends, who have been up-to-date for a pretty long time. But doesn't it seem strange that God Tier is apparently so easy to achieve? Isn't it said at some point that going God Tier is something that never happens in most sessions? I was thinking that maybe it was happening so often because the kids and the trolls have overstayed their welcome in their flawed sessions, giving them far more time to ascend the echeladder, but it just seems unusual that literally everyone who has died on or near a quest bed has ascended.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Slime posted:

I'm kind of wondering if the entire Skaia/SBurb(SkaiaBurb?) thing was set up my Lord English. If he eats universes for sustenance, it would make sense for him to be in favour of the creation of new universes.

Perhaps, but I keep thinking of how Skaia and the gods from the furthest ring play into this. Kanaya at one point said she felt, when looking into the clouds, that there was a silent, but benevolent, entity guiding her. And then of course the outer gods helped create the green sun in the first place. We don't know what goals either of them have, or if Lord English was supposed to exist in the first place.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

starfish prime posted:

I began reading Homestuck this summer, and finished reading it the very day it went on hiatus. So I don't understand it quite as well as my friends, who have been up-to-date for a pretty long time. But doesn't it seem strange that God Tier is apparently so easy to achieve? Isn't it said at some point that going God Tier is something that never happens in most sessions? I was thinking that maybe it was happening so often because the kids and the trolls have overstayed their welcome in their flawed sessions, giving them far more time to ascend the echeladder, but it just seems unusual that literally everyone who has died on or near a quest bed has ascended.

It's supposed to happen, I think. Vriska intimates to John at one point that she thinks that the trolls were supposed to kill eachother, because then more, if not all of them would have ascended to God Tier.
The players are supposed to ascend to God Tier and then create a new universe. Then they enter the universe they created and literally act as its gods, hence the title.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Fortis posted:

It's supposed to happen, I think. Vriska intimates to John at one point that she thinks that the trolls were supposed to kill eachother, because then more, if not all of them would have ascended to God Tier.
The players are supposed to ascend to God Tier and then create a new universe. Then they enter the universe they created and literally act as its gods, hence the title.

They're supposed to create the universe. You can do that without going into god tier, I believe. God tier is supposed to be pretty rare, if I remember right. The human and troll sessions are just highly unusual in a variety of ways, and having so many god tiers is one of those ways

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010

Fortis posted:

Hmm...but didn't the trolls complete the game without ascending to God Tier? Does that mean that their completion was premature? What would have happened if they had entered into the new universe as non-God-Tier players?

I guess Bec Noir's rampage at their "game over platform" (or whatever you would call it) was "right" in the eyes of the game, if they were really intended to be God Tier at that point, and the trolls cheated a bit too much to complete their session properly.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

starfish prime posted:

I hesitate to say they've 'overstayed their welcome'. Jack Noir started the Reckoning early, so the Kid's session has barely breached 30 hours by this point, as opposed to the month-long campaign the Trolls had. If the kids have all reached the tops of their respective echeladders, it's probably only been through gratuitous cheating, time travel, shenanigans, and general dickery. Alternate Future Dave and Rose hadn't yet reached max level after four months, but I guess the death of all your friends might be extenuating circumstances.
I think God-Tier is a bonus rather than a requirement, ie if you're cool enough to max your level without losing your dreamself in the process, congrats! you have celestial pajamas. If you die on a questbed.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

starfish prime posted:

Hmm...but didn't the trolls complete the game without ascending to God Tier? Does that mean that their completion was premature? What would have happened if they had entered into the new universe as non-God-Tier players?

I guess Bec Noir's rampage at their "game over platform" (or whatever you would call it) was "right" in the eyes of the game, if they were really intended to be God Tier at that point, and the trolls cheated a bit too much to complete their session properly.

Yeah, at this point we know that despite the trolls' early bragging and nominal success they basically hosed up all over the place in their game. In particular, you've hit things on the head about Noir's rampage: the ultimate objective of the game is to breed a new universe (in frog form) but Karkat hosed that up and wound up with a defective frog-universe. Having Bec Noir show up to wreck their poo poo and kill the diseased frog-universe they made is apparently supposed to be a direct consequence of Karkat screwing up the frog breeding process; he is the manifestation of the fatal flaw bred into their frog.

So the most likely explanation for the majority of the trolls missing god tier is not that god tier is supposed to be rare but that the trolls are just fuckups. On Andrew's old formspring he once pointed out that the Quest Beds serve the explicit function of taking players from their various planets straight to the Battlefield (which they have to do at some point, since that's where the final showdown vs. the Black King takes place), so they're probably supposed to be part of the "normal" progression of the game and using rockets to get there is just cheating.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think we can take any info about the oddness of the troll or human sessions as truth. Remember most of that comes from our interpretations of Scratch's words, often trolls' or Rose's interpretations of those words. What Scratch says about typical sessions may have been lies.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gabriel Pope posted:

On Andrew's old formspring he once pointed out that the Quest Beds serve the explicit function of taking players from their various planets straight to the Battlefield (which they have to do at some point, since that's where the final showdown vs. the Black King takes place), so they're probably supposed to be part of the "normal" progression of the game and using rockets to get there is just cheating.

And falling off of Prospit's moon as it collides with Skaia is just completely out of line.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If the Genesis Tadpole survived the forge, and another frog is bred in the Post-Scratch session, would it be possible to create more then one new universe at once?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Hussie just posted the third part of his clarification of events. This makes it more obvious why Jack did what he did here: first he saw the incoming Scratch, so he hopped a meteor out of there. Then, hey, this universe is being destroyed! Time to use this convenient exit device. Another session? Better smash all their planets so they can't scratch it.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Hussie just posted the third part of his clarification of events. This makes it more obvious why Jack did what he did here: first he saw the incoming Scratch, so he hopped a meteor out of there. Then, hey, this universe is being destroyed! Time to use this convenient exit device. Another session? Better smash all their planets so they can't scratch it.

Act 5 - Jack Noir Kills EVERYONE

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

The last paragraph pretty much confirms that Demonhead Mobster Kingpin is Lord English, right?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

The last paragraph pretty much confirms that Demonhead Mobster Kingpin is Lord English, right?

This would be an amazing development if it actually does end up happening. And if it is true, then maybe by this time next year we'll be halfway through his third form!

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

I'm hoping for an evil Godhead Pickle Inspector myself. :colbert:

vvvv You could also consider Vriska's fight with Noir in that beta timeline that Terezi saw, depending who you think won and if it really 'counts'.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 26, 2011

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Major Characters That Jack Noir Hasn't Killed:
1. Peregrine Mendicant
2. Grandpa Harley
3. Becquerel
4. Andrew Hussie
?. Vriska Serket - this is in the maybe pile, depending on whether or not Slick (who is technically Jack Noir!) breaking that God Tier clock killed Vriska or not.

Jack Noir has killed literally every other major character in this comic. A lot of them more than once.

Hussie's explanation about Bec Noir's trip makes a hell of a lot more sense to me now - he didn't really know where he was going or what would happen when he got there, he just kept going "Oh poo poo, this universe is dying better get out of dodge" and "Oh look, dudes. :ese:" respectively until he got to Bilious Slick.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.
I'll just leave this here. Amazingly enough it did survive the night!

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I know lots of love has been posted for Volume 8 already, but I cannot get enough of Scourge Sisters. So good. Reminds me a bit of Cave Story.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah I was wondering what Jack was doing inside that dank-rear end flower. gently caress this comic is so well thought-out. Hussie's brain must work outside the conventional laws of time and space.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

quote:

Ironically, to fulfill her role, she was bound to the life of a creature she loathed, which happened once before in the troll session when they prototyped a frog. She was disgusted by the transformation, and removed the ring, which lead to her eventual exile, and meeting with Scratch in the desert.

This was the bit that impressed me most. I mean I'm sure he didn't have Snowman and Slick standing on that roof in mind when he originally introduced the black queen and her decision to take off the ring, but the way the two parallels work so nicely is pretty amazing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

VJeff posted:

Major Characters That Jack Noir Hasn't Killed:
1. Peregrine Mendicant
2. Grandpa Harley
3. Becquerel
4. Andrew Hussie
?. Vriska Serket - this is in the maybe pile, depending on whether or not Slick (who is technically Jack Noir!) breaking that God Tier clock killed Vriska or not.

Jack Noir has killed literally every other major character in this comic. A lot of them more than once.

Hussie's explanation about Bec Noir's trip makes a hell of a lot more sense to me now - he didn't really know where he was going or what would happen when he got there, he just kept going "Oh poo poo, this universe is dying better get out of dodge" and "Oh look, dudes. :ese:" respectively until he got to Bilious Slick.

Ooh! Jack Noir also probably hasn't killed Nanna Egbert! Yet.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking that Hussie knew any of the events of Cascade two and a half years ago (okay, he probably knew broad "Jack Noir murders everyone" and "The Scratch happens" stuff), but really, the degree to which he kept all of this poo poo so heavily interconnected while still leaving it pretty legitimately easy to understand if you pay attention, not to mention the guy's insane work ethic is all worthy of praise.

Basically, :circlefap:

YggiDee posted:

Oh yeah. I guess technically he hasn't killed Jaspers either. Davesprite would count, but he's already killed two Daves by this point. :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

YggiDee posted:

Well he did trigger the reckoning which sent the meteors down, one of which killed her. So indirectly he did! :downs:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

VJeff posted:

Oh yeah. I guess technically he hasn't killed Jaspers either. Davesprite would count, but he's already killed two Daves by this point. :v:

We still don't know what killed Jaspers. Until there's evidence otherwise, I'll just say it was Jack.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

YggiDee posted:

We still don't know what killed Jaspers. Until there's evidence otherwise, I'll just say it was Jack.

May as well, what with the dog/cat antagonism and all.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I think what's most interesting about this flash is how we never got closure on how destroying the exile stations would help to rebuild society.

And then I remembered that none of the exiles are exclusively unique. They will all exist in the exact same capacity in the new session - so it's possible they'll be exiled again, and this time succeed.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Wait, at what point did any Jack, ever, kill Jade? The whole point is kinda the fact that he can't.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SpaceDrake posted:

Wait, at what point did any Jack, ever, kill Jade? The whole point is kinda the fact that he can't.

Dream jade.

Well, sort of.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SpaceDrake posted:

He killed Jade's dreamself in [S] Descend. That was pre-Bec prototyping.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
He also put a hit out on her, which CD eventually followed through!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SpaceDrake posted:

Well, not in Act 5. He killed Dream Jade when he wrecked Prospit at the end of Act 4.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

President Ark posted:

Dream jade.

Well, sort of.

It was also his direct order that resulted in her death this time, though I think he never truly believed it would pan out.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Zoolooman posted:

They're incredibly special, but I'm not going to make the radical leap that they're the only sessions. Consider how many times we've been told outright that everything possible is out there. This is paradox space, and there is a lot of implication that there are endless sessions, many Doc Scratches and plenty of universes devoured by Lord English. These are just the unusual worlds involved in the birth of the Green Sun.

I wonder if the "glitch" Doc Scratch referred to when he was describing the pre-scratch troll session is actually the very presence of a First Guardian, but merged with the wrong sort of host - and so unable to intervene in the planet's destiny.

But First Guardians are present on "every planet destined for intelligent life." And since you'd need intelligent life around to play Sburb in the first place...

Welp.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

thanks alot assbag posted:

I think what's most interesting about this flash is how we never got closure on how destroying the exile stations would help to rebuild society.

They were just blowing them up to prevent Bec Noir from getting into the troll session using teleporters that each station had, not for any particular world-building reason. Unfortunately AR got killed before he could blow them all up.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Can we talk more about Volume 8? A lot of the songs on there are really great and the art is fantastic as well. I'm especially liking Fef's theme and (duh) Cascade.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I finally realized what I like so much about Homestuck. For me, it's what LOST should have been. Both are insanely complicated universes and plots with tons of interconnected characters and events. The difference is that Homestuck is actually well thought out and if you are clever enough you could figure out what is going to happen before it does. Of course most of the time it only makes sense in retrospect. For example the throw away line that the green sun was twice the mass of their universe. This comic is completely brilliant and I can't believe I only found out about it 2 months ago.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Well everything that Plazmataz did on Vol 8 (and prior albums) was totally sweet. Are you there, Plazmataz? I really like the music songs you make for the Homestuck, you are the best music man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fiction posted:

Can we talk more about Volume 8? A lot of the songs on there are really great and the art is fantastic as well. I'm especially liking Fef's theme and (duh) Cascade.

Personally, I'm over the goddamn moon that Gardener finally got a release.