Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Two games here:

1. DOS game where your uncle dies and leaves you a widget factory; your goal is to compete against several other widget companies and be the last man standing - the companies have different AI gimmicks (one company named 'Shadow' does everything exactly the same way you do, another spends all its budget on marketing, and so on), and you get to control how much you spend on marketing, new factories, factory upkeep, wages, and a host of other things to keep a business going, as well as a stock market you can play with. I *thought* this was Oligopoly but apparently that is a comparatively way more graphical boardgame and the game I'm thinking of is almost completely text-based with minimal ASCII graphics. I know I didn't imagine it but hell if I can find it without a name.

2. Probably Windows, but possibly DOS game where you play a dude with a cowboy hat just trying to make it through a bunch of real-time puzzleish screens that have maybe cacti that, when they kill him, turn him into a daisy. Maybe his name was Pete? It's been so long, I just want to turn the ghost in my head into a real experience again. I think there might have been bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

capitalCORN
Mar 27, 2005
Let's give this thread a try. I'm thinking of a 90's sidescroller starring an astronaut on Mars(?) with maybe a gun? The game was mostly red for sure. It used palette scrolling as the main eye candy and the sprites were rather large. I don't think it came from any shareware powerhouse. It also had lonely MIDI music if it helps.

Pointless Adornment
Apr 9, 2005

~* snail krew *~
I've been searching for a ninja game that I played as a kid: It's definitely 8-bit era, and I was pretty sure it was Shinobi. But when I played the NES version of Shinobi, it was nothing like the game I played. You were a ninja and threw shurikens like in Shinobi, you had to rescue hostages just like Shinobi, the game was formed around jumping up and down from 'layer to layer' of the background like Shinobi, the enemies fired from boxes just like in Shinobi, and I remember there being a street level just like in Shinobi. But Shinobi (at least on the NES and SMS) isn't it.

Is there some alternate version of it, is it another game (I went through 'ninja' names and never found any matches), or am I just out of my mind?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Pointless Adornment posted:

I've been searching for a ninja game that I played as a kid: It's definitely 8-bit era, and I was pretty sure it was Shinobi. But when I played the NES version of Shinobi, it was nothing like the game I played. You were a ninja and threw shurikens like in Shinobi, you had to rescue hostages just like Shinobi, the game was formed around jumping up and down from 'layer to layer' of the background like Shinobi, the enemies fired from boxes just like in Shinobi, and I remember there being a street level just like in Shinobi. But Shinobi (at least on the NES and SMS) isn't it.

Is there some alternate version of it, is it another game (I went through 'ninja' names and never found any matches), or am I just out of my mind?

Sounds a lot like Wrath of the Black Manta

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Pointless Adornment posted:

Well there was a Game Gear version of Shinobi...

Edit: And this might be the whole thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KlcleL8suw

Pointless Adornment
Apr 9, 2005

~* snail krew *~

Cidrick posted:

Sounds a lot like Wrath of the Black Manta

Awesome, this is definitely the game.

Even the covers are like the same:

vs

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Wrath of the Black Manta is one of the most hysterically funny bad games I've ever played. It's like playing a video game adaptation of a bad Saturday morning Shinobi cartoon.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 23, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I remember playing a late 90s quicktime-era adventure game (post-myst) where (in the demo, or first level or whatever) you wandered around an odd desert hellscape. One of the puzzles was definitely a kind of skull-and-chain Bop-it, where you had to move different bits in the right order to get it to say "The guilty must be punished."

e: VVV Now that's what I call service!

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 23, 2011

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

I remember playing a late 90s quicktime-era adventure game (post-myst) where (in the demo, or first level or whatever) you wandered around an odd desert hellscape. One of the puzzles was definitely a kind of skull-and-chain Bop-it, where you had to move different bits in the right order to get it to say "The guilty must be punished."
Is it Skyborg: Into The Vortex?

Basing my guess entirely on this walkthrough
http://www.balmoralsoftware.com/skyborg/skyborg.htm

AuntJemima
Jul 22, 2007
There was a game for the original NES where you were a ninja and could jump stupidly high and far. I remember the first level was a forest and you had to kill all the enemies in that level to progress and the second level was sewers.

I think they made a remake for the DS? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

edit: gently caress nevermind. Just found it. It is The Legend of Kage.

AuntJemima fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 23, 2011

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I played a side scroller when I was a kid. I never got very far but from what I can recall it was set in a jungle. You started off hanging from a parachute and had to cut yourself loose. I think if you went left from the start, there was a girl tied up that you could cut free. A couple of screens right the was a squid-like thing in a tree that kept swiping at you with a tentacle if you tried to pass. That's about what I can remember since I never got past it. I think I played it somewhere between 1995-1998.

This game has been haunting me for years.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

MrOnBicycle posted:

This game has been haunting me for years.

Bermuda Syndrome. Checked it on YouTube, your description was flawless.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

scamtank posted:

Bermuda Syndrome. Checked it on YouTube, your description was flawless.

Wow thanks. This really brings me back!

MorbidYak
Sep 16, 2006
I remember playing an adventure game as a kid but I can't remember the title. The game starts off with you in a plane you crash in the jungle and quickly go into some tunnels or sewers or something in a ruin maybe. The time period was probably around the 40s or 50s but I'm not sure. I seem to remember a girl being with you in the plane.

If someone figures this out I'd appreciate it!! Every now and then I feel like playing an adventure game and I try to find this one before giving up and playing something else.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

MorbidYak posted:

I remember playing an adventure game as a kid but I can't remember the title. The game starts off with you in a plane you crash in the jungle and quickly go into some tunnels or sewers or something in a ruin maybe. The time period was probably around the 40s or 50s but I'm not sure. I seem to remember a girl being with you in the plane.

If someone figures this out I'd appreciate it!! Every now and then I feel like playing an adventure game and I try to find this one before giving up and playing something else.

Flight of the Amazon Queen?

MorbidYak
Sep 16, 2006
Pretty sure that's not it. If I remember correctly it wasn't a comedy. And I might have been playing a demo as a kid so I'm not even sure if the part I described was at the beginning.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Amazon: Guardians of Eden? It's got all the things you described in a pile of unwinnable dead ends, I think.

Vex Thunder
Dec 12, 2005

FAT TIRE Amber Ale's appeal is in its feat of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.
This one has been on my mind for a while.

It was a PC game, mid ninties I think.

It was a kind of free-for-all might-and-magic type game.

You were able to chose from like 6 different nations: Order, Chaos, Water, Fire, Air, and Earth I believe.

The opening intro showed you the 6 different nation's leaders, one particular line went something like "The circle of life. Choose your fate and create your own destiny".

You made an army, had people research spells and the like.

Chaos nation had stick throwers? That's all I can remember.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Could be one of the Lords of Magic games.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Vex Thunder posted:

This one has been on my mind for a while.

It was a PC game, mid ninties I think.

It was a kind of free-for-all might-and-magic type game.

You were able to chose from like 6 different nations: Order, Chaos, Water, Fire, Air, and Earth I believe.

The opening intro showed you the 6 different nation's leaders, one particular line went something like "The circle of life. Choose your fate and create your own destiny".

You made an army, had people research spells and the like.

Chaos nation had stick throwers? That's all I can remember.

That's Lords of Magic for sure. But there's 8 factions, you forgot Life and Death.

Vex Thunder
Dec 12, 2005

FAT TIRE Amber Ale's appeal is in its feat of balance: toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors coasting in equilibrium with hoppy freshness.

YES! Thank you very much kind sirs.

Now I will relive the frustration of my childhood.

This game was ballbustingly hard from what I remember.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
This is a really old DOS game,

I only think I ever played it as a multiplayer (linked two computers together).

The graphics were pretty much just green lines in the shapes of the terrain and vehicles. Think kind of like old Tron game, but less color.

It was fully vehicle based, and you could pick from a few vehicles, Jet, Tank, HoverTank, I think maybe one or two more, but can't really remember. It was played as a sort of death match.

The game was set in the far future, and basically there were two bases, you'd spawn your vehicle of choice (can't remember fully, but I think you had a limited amount of each vehicle per game) and then you'd run out and kill or be killed.
This one is a long shot, and I barely remember it, but I really enjoyed it as a little kid.

Pretty sure this game came out pre-1989, maybe around 87 even. I don't know because I only played it at my friends house.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

Boba_Fettish posted:

This is a really old DOS game,

I only think I ever played it as a multiplayer (linked two computers together).

The graphics were pretty much just green lines in the shapes of the terrain and vehicles. Think kind of like old Tron game, but less color.

It was fully vehicle based, and you could pick from a few vehicles, Jet, Tank, HoverTank, I think maybe one or two more, but can't really remember. It was played as a sort of death match.

The game was set in the far future, and basically there were two bases, you'd spawn your vehicle of choice (can't remember fully, but I think you had a limited amount of each vehicle per game) and then you'd run out and kill or be killed.
This one is a long shot, and I barely remember it, but I really enjoyed it as a little kid.

Pretty sure this game came out pre-1989, maybe around 87 even. I don't know because I only played it at my friends house.

BattleZone?

Jamizzy99
Jul 4, 2007
An old side scrolling DOS game... you controlled a guy in a black suit. I think it was prince of persia style. There were 2 daggers with a red jewel on one hilt and green on the other. It was medieval times maybe? I'm not sure. I think there were a lot of quick death traps as well and guards that would kill you if you werent careful.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
^^^^ Hmm.. Dragon's lair 3?

I'm trying to remember a game for the PC. I think it's freeware. It was an FPS involving lots of old Team Fortress Classic era style movement. I think it involved the word "Air" in it's name.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005

HoldYourFire posted:

BattleZone?

It looked similar to BattleZone, but There were actually bases, and more vehicles. I distinctly remember flying the jet (either fighter or bomber, not sure). Good shot though, I forgot about BattleZone too.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Jamizzy99 posted:

An old side scrolling DOS game... you controlled a guy in a black suit. I think it was prince of persia style. There were 2 daggers with a red jewel on one hilt and green on the other. It was medieval times maybe? I'm not sure. I think there were a lot of quick death traps as well and guards that would kill you if you werent careful.

I think that's Shadows of Cairn. There was a beginning section where you walk around the city and could fight guards, and then a whole ton of instant death traps once you started making actual progress.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Dilb posted:

I think that's Shadows of Cairn. There was a beginning section where you walk around the city and could fight guards, and then a whole ton of instant death traps once you started making actual progress.

Didn't the music also get all crazy when you brought out your weapons?

InformationHigh
Jun 27, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Wrath of the Black Manta is one of the most hysterically funny bad games I've ever played. It's like playing a video game adaptation of a bad Saturday morning Shinobi cartoon.

This game is amazing. I like how the phone is ringing and suddenly there's some guy all ninja'd out wondering who could be calling at that hour. Can't a ninja get some sleep?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Here's one that's doing my head in:

It's a Saturn game, it's an RPG, it's in 3D but it's on rails...

Nope vvvvvv

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 26, 2011

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

DarthBlingBling posted:

That's probably Shining the Holy Ark.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

DarthBlingBling posted:

Nope vvvvvv

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer_Dragoon_Saga ?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Not that either :( All I can remember about the game was what is already stated, I think the first level was set in a town and you could go explore houses and poo poo.

The game was also poo poo if I remember correctly. Just keen to remember what it was.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DarthBlingBling posted:

Not that either :( All I can remember about the game was what is already stated, I think the first level was set in a town and you could go explore houses and poo poo.

The game was also poo poo if I remember correctly. Just keen to remember what it was.

poo poo you say? Dark Saviour?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

baka kaba posted:

poo poo you say? Dark Saviour?

Not that either! Maybe this game was pretty obscure.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I asked in a previous incarnation of the thread and nobody was able to turn anything up, so maybe we'll have more luck here.

This is a game I never played, but saw screenshots of in a gaming magazine and was fairly excited about. It was an RTS game set in the stone age. One race controlled dinosaurs while another controlled mammals. Both races were cavemen and their units looked pretty much the same other than the mammal/reptile split as they advanced up their tech trees. There may have been other races as well but I don't know for sure.

What I *do* know is that this game was not Paraworld, which is the only RTS I can find featuring dinosaurs, unless it was, perhaps, an extremely early variation on it.

I'm fairly certain the title of the game in the article was Dawn of War, but if that is correct, it either never came out or somehow made such a little splash that it completely disappeared from the internet by the time the Warhammer 40k RTS of the same name was released.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

DarthBlingBling posted:

The game was also poo poo

Virtual Hydlide?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

jack. posted:

Virtual Hydlide?

Not that either :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Funkmaster General posted:

I asked in a previous incarnation of the thread and nobody was able to turn anything up, so maybe we'll have more luck here.

This is a game I never played, but saw screenshots of in a gaming magazine and was fairly excited about. It was an RTS game set in the stone age. One race controlled dinosaurs while another controlled mammals. Both races were cavemen and their units looked pretty much the same other than the mammal/reptile split as they advanced up their tech trees. There may have been other races as well but I don't know for sure.

What I *do* know is that this game was not Paraworld, which is the only RTS I can find featuring dinosaurs, unless it was, perhaps, an extremely early variation on it.

I'm fairly certain the title of the game in the article was Dawn of War, but if that is correct, it either never came out or somehow made such a little splash that it completely disappeared from the internet by the time the Warhammer 40k RTS of the same name was released.
Jurassic War?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

DarthBlingBling posted:

Can you say more about what you mean by "on rails?" So it was a first-person thing?

e: And for that matter, what makes you say it was an RPG? Were there stats or menu-battles?

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 26, 2011