Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

She could take dust baths like a chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Alterian posted:

She could take dust baths like a chicken.

This would just wind up with little dust clouds hovering around her in the OP's sketches like Pigpen.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

la_fausse_tortue posted:

I was chatting with Uglynoodles the other day about Japan during the Second World War, and we chortled about how it might crush her little heart to learn her preferred country isn't as innocent and pure as she wants it to be.

Oh man, you do NOT want to get weeaboos started with their World War II Japan apologia.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Konstantin posted:

I don't think female Touhou fans exist.

Hey now. :colbert:

You have a very good point though. It's not really the type of fandom to attract this type of crazy female fan so I'm not surprised she's not into it.

Now anything popular with a large male cast, with or without actual in-canon yaoi? Oh you better believe it.

Speaking of, you mentioned she eventually got into some yaoi game? I almost want to ask which one, as my curiosity is getting the better of me.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 26, 2011

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

Jumping on the 'suddenly my adolescence seems a whole lot more normal' bandwagon. I mean, I went through my obligatory anime/manga stage too back in middle school, and I had plenty of weird friends, but gently caress... Denise sounds like she was having a psychotic break or something - did she ever get checked with a psychologist? I'm guessing no, but I do wonder if she was ever officially diagnosed with anything. Between this, the J-F Bibeau thread, and the TVTropes thread, I'm beginning to wonder just how widespread of a phenomenon this whole wish-fulfillment-fantasy-taken-to-an-extreme thing really is.

Uglynoodles and Kat, you have my sympathy for having had to put up with this girl. Sounds like she put you both through an awful lot of bullshit at a very tender time in your respective lives, but kudos to both of you for having come through it all as well-adjusted adults in the end :unsmith:

I feel really bad for George though :( I just hope he gets himself out of this situation someday and gets to live for himself rather than working his fingers to the bone to pay for his self-centered, delusional daughter.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
When I was 10, my pretend animu husband could totaly kick the asses of Denise's pretend animu husbands. Quake With Fear! I didn't even need to inject the whole 'my magical healing vagina will make him good' logic, he became a better dude later on in the series. The key element is that I never thought the poorly drawn bastard was real, just a fun addition to the roleplay I would do with my similarly dorkass friends during recess at school.

It is very comfortting to read stories like this set about Denise, as in elementary and middle school I was called the crazy Japanimation Kid (gently caress I am getting old,) although the roleplay stopped after 6th grade and I mainly just kept to myself and drew Sailor Moon characters. In high school I went a touch weeaboo, but grew out of that poo poo right quick after I let myself ruin my school exchange to Japan with that worldview. I am so loving glad I never went down the path that would have me living with other hambeasts in an insane commune, pretending to be a video game character.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007
I'm actually astounded Denise wasn't into Escaflowne, considering the fact that the series is simply crawling with beautiful, troubled, misunderstood men. Great series - especially for a teenage girl - but perfectly ripe for abuse by a delusional otaku.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This entire saga is reminding me of a situation that an old friend of mine went through in high school. It was even a group of three girls. One of them got some sort of weird notion, uncannily similar to Denise's, about how there was this other world and the three of them were all Very Special over there, and that Real Soon Now a portal would open and take them "home," and that it was all somehow Their Destiny. There was this little arrangement of trees nearby that they'd often visit, which was where the portal to the other world would supposedly open. (The placement of the trees was "too perfect to be a coincidence.") The other two girls went along with the whole thing. They privately harbored their doubts, but in the meantime, it made them feel special and gave them something to focus on beyond the horrid drudgery of high school.

At least they had the decency to make up their OWN magical world instead of just transplanting stuff from a cartoon. And thankfully, it was short-lived enough to not do any lasting harm -- the little clique split up and the magical world was forgotten. The one I'm friends with grew up perfectly well-adjusted, and the magical arrangement of trees eventually got bulldozed and is now the site of a giant indoor sports dome. All's well that ends well.

Hormones
May 9, 2009

la_fausse_tortue posted:

George knows nothing.
That just upped the creepy level for me.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I knew chicks like this in high school, and I was probably getting dangerously close to joining their clique. Actually ended up at a house party with a friend of mine who was an Otherkin (which turned out to be some big Otherkin meetup). Even though the guests were nice there was something about them that freaked me out.

I suppose the best way I can describe it is that they're similar to cult members, like this one schoolmate of mine who turned out to become a Lyndon LaRouchite. If any trace of genuine likeable personality or soul existed, it's been ripped out and the vast hollow space in their persona now holds only a few dense nuggets of crazy, fantastical metaphysics, and desperate psychological need.

Also, meet The World's Biggest Ninja Turtle Fan!

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Konstantin posted:

I don't think female Touhou fans exist. While many Touhou fans are crazy, there is a difference between crazy male fans and crazy female fans, and most of the time a particular property attracts one or the other. I don't think Denise would be a fan of Touhou considering it has an all female cast, so she can't have a spirit husband or whatever, plus the games are rather difficult.

Hm... I don't suppose that somewhere, out there in the farthest reaches of the internet, is a chart that can predict whether or not a franchise will acquire a large fanbase, how crazy the fanbase will be, what the male:female ratio will end up as, and what typically-crazy-fan activities the crazy fans will get in to?

And your first sentence is just plain wrong. Just because the Touhou fanbase is overwhelmingly male, doesn't mean that female fans don't exist. After all, I exist. QED. :colbert:

Hedera Helix fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 26, 2011

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

It can be guys too. I once had a guy "kill himself" while talking to me on AIM, then "his Mom" started talking to me in his place to explain that he killed himself because I didn't love him, and when I threatened to call 911 he used Super Sayian Powers to come back to life and take his computer back from his Mom.

Okay, I think I'm finally out of crazy people who were in my life. :ohdear:

Ahahahahahaha

Also OP/Kat, is there some way you can tell George I empathize with him? I feel so bad for that man because it reminds me of my father, in how he always seems to be a good listener and genuinely care about his offspring. My dad does a lot for me, and some days I feel really ashamed of how I acted as a kid and even now. The saddest thing is I just know she wont care once he finally kicks the bucket and that's just heartbreaking.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

uglynoodles posted:

I now seek a career in game art.

I don't want to derail about this, but do you have a portfolio or anything online or a way I can see samples of your work? I tried PMing you but I guess you don't have plat.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I bet you could get her to bathe if you took her to a Japanese-style hot spring bathhouse.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LadySage posted:

I have no idea how it started, but both fandoms are huge and brimming with batshit. The only thing that makes Homestuck fandom less inherently awful is that the source material is actually really, really good and there is some really amazing fan output.

Which one of denise's alternate realities is this true? The only good thing the creator ever made was SB&HJ.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Could we not make this thread into a trolly asparagus-piss fight about how what you like sucks and what I like is better. Just once.

Okay, sure. Nevermind what I just said then.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 26, 2011

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why is it always Sephiroth? Nobody soulbonds Ness or the slime from Dragon Quest.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Which one of denise's alternate realities is this true? The only good thing the creator ever made was SB&HJ.

Could we not make this thread into a trolly asparagus-piss fight about how what you like sucks and what I like is better. Just once.

Action_Bastard
Nov 26, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Problem
Sleuth

AVOIDING DERAIL SORRY:
I don't think the issue here is the quality of her 'source material'. I think Final Fantasy 7 was great and InuYasha is poo poo. Doesn't seem that my opinion of those animus has any bearing on this girl's level of crazy over them.

Action_Bastard fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 26, 2011

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
There are insane fans of literally everything, some things just have a higher concentration of them

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Why do these crazy fans always hate bathing? I can understand people eating junk food and not exercising because they like the taste and it's harder to put the effort into staying in shape. But why would they hate feeling clean? It's not that difficult to get up and go take a shower. On the few occasions where I've had to go without bathing for two or three days, I feel terrible and disgusting and won't feel until I take a shower. Why would anyone put up with feeling dirty all the time? Ugh!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Because video files can't smell you.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I Watson posted:

When I was 10, my pretend animu husband could totaly kick the asses of Denise's pretend animu husbands. Quake With Fear!

yesssss

Larva posted:

I'm actually astounded Denise wasn't into Escaflowne, considering the fact that the series is simply crawling with beautiful, troubled, misunderstood men. Great series - especially for a teenage girl - but perfectly ripe for abuse by a delusional otaku.

Also, it's set in a fantasy world that was created by the dreams and wishes of people on Earth, who can go there and kiss all the boys if they believe hard enough. So, I agree on all counts.

As I've gotten older, I've started getting more and more annoyed at every genre show or movie that works off a premise of "It's just like your world, but ~secretly things are special~." I know that's super-crotchety of me, but I can't help it, and I'm going to go ahead and blame Denise.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Viola the Mad posted:

Why would anyone put up with feeling dirty all the time? Ugh!

"People only bathe to pretty up for other men, but I've got The Guys following us around and they want my pussy so bad that I don't have to bother with making myself look pretty."

Or something like that.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Viola the Mad posted:

Why do these crazy fans always hate bathing? I can understand people eating junk food and not exercising because they like the taste and it's harder to put the effort into staying in shape. But why would they hate feeling clean? It's not that difficult to get up and go take a shower. On the few occasions where I've had to go without bathing for two or three days, I feel terrible and disgusting and won't feel until I take a shower. Why would anyone put up with feeling dirty all the time? Ugh!

As someone who had hygiene issues in high school, it possibly stems from depression. I grew up in a hoarder house and when everything around you is smelly and messy, you just don't see the point in bathing and don't even know how you smell to other people since you get so used to it. Why bother feeling clean for a bit when you're just going to feel dirty again after stepping out of the shower?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Nessa posted:

Why bother feeling clean for a bit when you're just going to feel dirty again after stepping out of the shower?

Not to jimmy anyone's pants -- I legitimately want to know: how dirty was Denise's whole house?

I know that uglenoodles said Denise was a pretty dirty person and left messes everywhere, but I figured that was only in her room, and George kept his area/living room clean.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Heath posted:

Why is it always Sephiroth? Nobody soulbonds Ness or the slime from Dragon Quest.

It's sexual attraction turned into nonsensical obsession through the sheer force iof loneliness and depression. That's all. It can happen to anything. The source material just provides the visuals.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Viola the Mad posted:

My skin actually dries out really fast, if I get anywhere close to 24 hours without a shower my skin gets flaky and will start to crack and hurt. I can never totally grasp how someone could go days and days on end without showering. Even with my problems, I've had depression issues kick my rear end for a day and I just can't bring myself to shower, or I wake up to some emergency that takes my attention all day and don't end up making the time, but days and weeks in a row?

It really does have to be a mixture of depression and "well, The Animu Guys loves me so why bother?!"

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

quote:

What yaoi animu game did Denise get into?

Silver Chaos for the PC. Her hazubando forever that she totally ditched Sephiroth for is called Adonis. He looks like Sephiroth with a retarded mullet.

I'm jumping ahead in the timeline a little bit right now because I am working on a reproduction of her yaoi animu manga that she wanted to market for a billion gazillion real dollars and sell like hotcakes in Japan.

I Can't Help You, I'm Saving Up For My Dolfie

This story is very short, but poignant I feel.
Like I mentioned before, things at home were bad for me. Very bad. It got to the point where I was 17 and homeless and starving, bad. I asked Denise for help. I was scared. I was too young, so the state wouldn't help me. I was too old, so the state wouldn't help me. I didn't have an alcohol or drugs problem, nor did I have a child, so again that closed off more options for assistance -- as hosed up as that sounds, that's how it worked out. I didn't know where to turn.

She wouldn't help me. I had stuck by her for years, endured her bullshit, tried to help her learn to go out and make new friends, to develop social skills, to leave her fantasies behind and treat them as fantasies instead of life-stopping realities. I was her shoulder to cry on. I tried to sort through her mental poo poo and was one of her only two friends for a good chunk of time... And she wouldn't help me off the street when I needed her. When I needed anybody.

You know why? She told me why.

I remember staring at her as she explained to me that she was saving up for an $800 "Dolfie" from Japan and how when it arrived, it would be a spirit vessel for Adonis or some loving poo poo. A ceramic jointed dressup doll was more important than me, someone she called her best friend, who was scared and hungry. I wanted to punch her. I wanted to scream. I wanted to do a lot of things, but I just didn't have the energy. In the end no matter how I felt, I wasn't entitled to her help anyway. I left quietly and without a fuss, and didn't speak to her for a long time.

A lot is fuzzy from that time period but it is something I still hold a lot of anger about. I will never really forgive her, though I have tried.

Another story from the Kat files, this time from when we were around 15 years old:

Kat's Email #2 posted:

So, given our mutual interest in anime, the next natural step was to attend a convention. I found out about one nearby, and brought it up. Denise eagerly agreed. Unfortunately, since we were both around 15 years old, we wouldn't be able to go alone. My mom graciously offered to be the parental host for the trip. So, we got our cosplays made and away we went!

My mom and I developed a system. We relegated Denise to the back seat while I figured out the map and played navigator. This was an obvious choice since I had gone through nearly 8 years of Scouts and maps were loving easy at that point. At first, Denise would keep asking me stuff. Random stuff. Kept trying to get me to talk with her. I told her to shut up because I needed to watch the road names so we didn't get loving lost. She pouted, but put on her headphones and read a manga. Sometimes, she'd start singing along, but my mom ended that quickly.

Fast forward to the first day of the con. My mom drove us from the hotel to the convention. In the parking lot, there was immediate costume trouble for Denise. As may have been guessed, Denise does not plan well. Her costume was an example of this. She was going as Gaara from Naruto, and she couldn't get the gourd to sit right or something. Clearly, she thought swearing at it would help. This continues for nearly 20 minutes, while my mom and I exchange looks. Every now and then, we'd make suggestions about what to do. I think we needed to get in line to pick up our pre-reg badges or some poo poo.

Can't remember what happens, but eventually Denise glowers along behind us when we go inside. We pick up our badges and stuff, everything's cool.. we start checking things out. Having fun.

A couple hours into it and Denise hits the iceberg. She's glowering. Sulky. Moody. She also hasn't eaten anything except ramen and pocky. This is a habit that I think causes a lot of her moods. When asked, she'd always deny she was hungry. Or it'd be "Oh, yeah, I should eat." and then she'd just continue to sit around being miserable.

I got tired of that poo poo and, at my mom's suggestion, abandoned her rear end. I went out, had fun, made friends. Even more, I made sure my mom was having fun. I checked in with Denise periodically, and she tended to stay were she was, wistfully slouching on a concrete half-wall in one of the convention hallways. Not sure if she had her headphones with her, but my bet was on yes.

We made it back in one piece.

I've now attended that convention several times with her. One more where I actually accompanied her and Melissa and we had both my mom and Melissa's mom with us (yes, my mother is a saint). Similar things occurred. For the other conventions, I've gone by myself because I don't want to have to deal with her poo poo. And her poo poo includes more than just being sulky. It extends to being extremely unreliable (not being at a certain place at a certain time so we could, say, eat a proper meal), to leeching money off us for the convention's dealer's room and artist's alley. (She didn't get much money off of me since I'm very closely guarded with my cash, but she took Melissa and her mom for nearly $200 spent on anime figures. Some of that money was taken by saying she had no money for food and she needed a proper meal). In all, terribly uncool. So I started the habit of ditching her rear end as soon as we arrived, or just hanging out with Melissa who has much better manners than Denise and is, despite being immersed in the fantasy, very reasonable and friendly and easy to hang out with. Also, Melissa would bitch about Denise with me, too.

A side note about Melissa: she is fairly harmless. A times, I'm not sure how much she believes this stuff. She certainly doesn't let it get in the way of her life (unfortunately, other things do).

And, another note: Denise's costuming abilities are embarrassingly lacking. She can't sew worth poo poo, and often the costumes fell apart. I don't think she even tried to draft a pattern like I did, but instead 'winged it' by sewing while it was on her (like, wrapping a leg in fabric and sewing it together). The costumes themselves ended up being recognizable, but they were not things I would want to show off. Denise thinks she's great at costuming. God forbid, I heard she was trying to get commissions to make costumes.

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I don't want to derail about this, but do you have a portfolio or anything online or a way I can see samples of your work? I tried PMing you but I guess you don't have plat.

Yeah sadly I don't have Platinum yet.
I am working on a portfolio -- I am currently working on 4 separate character designs to include as well as some bits and bobs to show off my rendering skills, expressions, some life drawing, and how I'd use light to show mood and what have you. Right now I don't have a whole lot online unless you count Mass Effect fanart, but that's not really something I'd show off in a professional scenario as a concrete example of my skills, no matter how much I actually like the pieces in question!

Here's a link to something I am working on for my portfolio, though. It's a very small preview image so you can see the colours I am working with at the moment. There's no shading on the dragon though so he's very flat:

Click Here For a Bit of a Detail Shot

Here's a link to one of the characters I am designing. Nait, NPC Good Guy Companion for a Post Apocalyptic Setting.

Grashlok posted:

I legitimately want to know: how dirty was Denise's whole house?

Denise never left rotting food or anything like that around -- In her room it was toys, books, papers, and mostly piles and piles of clothes. The rest of the apartment was generally pretty clean except for some boxes of Louanne's stuff that littered the upstairs hallway and filled up the closet in a haphazard and horrible way. This was stuff that George didn't want to see around after Louanne left because it was hers, but didn't want to throw out either in case she wanted it at some later point. So he let that clutter exist but generally it was pleasantly untidy. Lived in, I guess you could say. Not dirty by any stretch but not an IKEA catalogue either.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Viola the Mad posted:

It's been said before, but: Mental illnesses. Depression, yes, but also schizophrenic disorders will manifest as general inability to care for oneself.

Notice I said 'inability' rather than 'unwillingness'. They can't bring themselves to do it, no matter the rationale they give. They just can't do it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
It's threads like these that make the :10bux: worth it.

You should really post some more of your art as it is awesome along with the stories.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

That NPC drawing is cool, especially the whole "rooster" thing he's got going on.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

uglynoodles posted:

I Can't Help You, I'm Saving Up For My Dolfie

loving hell, I see why you were saving that one for later. I guess that's what happens when you're in your own imaginary world, you completely disassociate with basic human responses like compassion or empathy. Have things gotten better for you since then?

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

thevoiceofdog posted:

loving hell, I see why you were saving that one for later. I guess that's what happens when you're in your own imaginary world, you completely disassociate with basic human responses like compassion or empathy. Have things gotten better for you since then?

Yes. I wanted you guys to see the extent of what she was like before I mentioned that, so you can see the extent to which this fantasy has taken her.

And oh yes -- I am very much better now, thank you. It was a rough time to be sure but I got out relatively unscathed all things considering! :)

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Oh geez, uglynoodles, right now I just want to reach through my screen and give you a hug. The fact that you went through so much poo poo and were still able to pull through, get off the street, and have a normal life is really a testament to your strenght. :golfclap:

Did you ever try to confront Denise over her lack of empathy for others?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Holy poo poo that..thing...is insane and both you george and kat have my respect for putting up with it.

I will admit to liking some anime, but that an unstable person combined with an obsession over something could go this far still baffles me.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
You know, it kind of amazes me you ever talked to her again after that. Like if I was ever in a position like that and one of my friends refused me for a reason that selfish and pointless, that bridge would be burned so hard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Powered Descent posted:

This entire saga is reminding me of a situation that an old friend of mine went through in high school. It was even a group of three girls. One of them got some sort of weird notion, uncannily similar to Denise's, about how there was this other world and the three of them were all Very Special over there, and that Real Soon Now a portal would open and take them "home," and that it was all somehow Their Destiny. There was this little arrangement of trees nearby that they'd often visit, which was where the portal to the other world would supposedly open. (The placement of the trees was "too perfect to be a coincidence.") The other two girls went along with the whole thing. They privately harbored their doubts, but in the meantime, it made them feel special and gave them something to focus on beyond the horrid drudgery of high school.

Have you ever read or watched Bridge to Terabithia?

Panzerschwein posted:

I bet you could get her to bathe if you took her to a Japanese-style hot spring bathhouse.

Japanese-style bathhouses aren't for bathing so much as relaxing. Most won't admit you unless you are already clean. I don't think the odds are in favor of that.

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
Going to have to nth the "Holy poo poo, Uglynoodles! You had been going through so much real world poo poo in your life and she was being that cruel and selfish?!"

Other than that, great thread. Your work looks pretty impressive and I hope that these posts are as healing or cathartic for you as they amazing to us.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Vicas posted:

You know, it kind of amazes me you ever talked to her again after that. Like if I was ever in a position like that and one of my friends refused me for a reason that selfish and pointless, that bridge would be burned so hard.

I was also 17 at the time when that little exchange happened, so I would deal with the issue very differently now than I did then. Whilst I try not to blame people for their problems, I hadn't really learned that there were limits and boundaries to that. I know much better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah, I can understand the reaction, especially when she had been one of your few good friends for so long. Honestly I'm still kind of in shock that that even happened.

• Locked thread