Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Podothehobbit posted:

Ohhhh I HATE CARS i'll have you know people are making a whole 175-180 whp after the install, which doesn't sound like much but it will certainly beat the anemic 95-100 whp i'm making now haha.

Will definitely be documenting the insanity this weekend and i'll probably throw up a thread or something. Still nervous about the install but it looks pretty straightforward so here's hoping I don't screw things up too bad.

And yeah Viggen, babies first little turbo :3:

Wait, if you're seeing a power gain like that, aren't you going to have issues with spooling up the turbo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

EightBit posted:

Wait, if you're seeing a power gain like that, aren't you going to have issues with spooling up the turbo?

Hence the tiny turbo. The kit uses a 15g with the smaller TD04 turbine to spool up relatively quickly, boost starting around 2000 rpm and peaking around 6250 rpm (around 8.5 psi boost), as well as the usual parts (intercooler, etc....). The Yaris idles around 750-850 rpm so there should be a moderate amount of turbo delay but since I already have a lightened flywheel/crank pulley set-up we'll see how much lag pops up.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 26, 2011

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
After it's installed, there needs to be a video of you pulling away from a stop light, preferably next to a Porche or something similar. You don't even have to "win," just go. It will be hilarious.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

"Hitler may have been a phyco fucker but what a good VW"

Never change, youtube commenters :allears:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

After it's installed, there needs to be a video of you pulling away from a stop light, preferably next to a Porche or something similar. You don't even have to "win," just go. It will be hilarious.

Comedy option of building the 1NZ-FE up and boosting to 20 PSI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HszS1X-wD6Q

I would always drive with a :thumbsup: look on my face.

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
It's been a busy two days. Today I cleaned rat poo poo out of the engine bay of my R3. Three weeks in storage and the fuckers are already at it. I checked in our Mazda 3 as well and they been living in that engine bay as well.

Took the cars out on a quick drive to try to shake them out if they were still in there. I'm pissed off because when I turn the air on in the Rx8 the air smells like zoo and I don't know if it will ever go away.

Any ideas of how to get rid of them? I have poison in there now, but I don't think they'll go for it. All our cars are parked outside in the cold wet rain right now in hopes they will gently caress off. We have never had a mouse/rat problem before and live in Toronto (not downtown).

My beater Integra's midpipe snapped in half when I was driving to work yesterday, causing much noise and vibration. I got a lot of negative Honda ricer attention as I drove to an exhaust shop to have a new section of pipe welded on.

On a more positive note I swapped some cheap ebay white LEDs into my Integra's gauge cluster to make it more visible at dusk. $5 and its more pleasing to look at.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Podothehobbit posted:

Ohhhh I HATE CARS i'll have you know people are making a whole 175-180 whp after the install, which doesn't sound like much but it will certainly beat the anemic 95-100 whp i'm making now haha.

I require a proper dyno before and after install before I'm willing to believe that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

My Tacoma's been making a squeaking noise from the belts when the engine's idling in drive and/or the A/C is on. Never sounded serious, never did any harm driving around with it, and it was one of those small things you just learn to live with, even though it made my truck sound like poo poo. I finally got tired of it and figured it had to be the tensioner pulley bearing since it was coming from that general area and 99.9% of the Internet and auto buddies said it had to be that. Changed that motherfucker, inspected the idler pulley, accessories and belts while I was at it, sprayed a little dry lube where it needed it, and fired her up.

The squeak is still there :negative:

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Before ('07 tail lights):

After ('04 tail lights):

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Are Forester tail lights tarred in, or are they like the GD+ Impreza where they're just bolted in? I have to redo the tar on my '97 Impreza, so I'm curious what people are using.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are Forester tail lights tarred in, or are they like the GD+ Impreza where they're just bolted in? I have to redo the tar on my '97 Impreza, so I'm curious what people are using.

No tar, just two bolts and some clips. Took maybe 10 minutes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Konrad posted:

No tar, just two bolts and some clips. Took maybe 10 minutes.

What's the going price for OEM red taillights vs OEM clear ones?

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

What's the going price for OEM red taillights vs OEM clear ones?

I paid $100 (shipped) for the '04s. I'm asking $120 (shipped) on subaruforester.net for my '07s. Just trying to break even on the swap.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Podothehobbit posted:

Will definitely be documenting the insanity this weekend and i'll probably throw up a thread or something. Still nervous about the install but it looks pretty straightforward so here's hoping I don't screw things up too bad.

And yeah Viggen, babies first little turbo :3:

PLEASE do a build thread. I love overpowered tiny cars. Good luck with the install!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
1996 BMW 328is

I finally got under my car for the first time; I bought it about a month ago. My excellently-priced O2 sensors came in from Rock Auto so I had no more excuses dealing with that CEL. There are 4 such sensors on my car, the two that were bad were the post-cat pair, because somebody scraped the bottom or high-centered it or something. I had thought this was my fault - I took it down some pretty gnarly roads the first weekend I had it - but the shredded O2 sensor connectors had been clumsily zip-tied out of the way, not plugged into their receptacles, so it couldn't have been my fault. I know the post-cat O2 sensors are not critical for vehicle operation, but it was annoying to have that CEL and dangly bits underneath.

It was a series of adventures, and now I am tired. Jacking up my car was the first adventure, I have a gravel parking space and my jackstands tend to sink in a bit. This is a problem I am going to solve before the next time I try to get under my car; the bastard tried to kill me on the way down as the jackstands tilted front-right when I was lifting the load off of the driver's front stand. Fortunately I had taken precautions and was not in any actual danger; had I been working from the other side I would have gotten a bit squished (bruises, probably, not lethal) against the shed. Live and learn, etc.

O2 Sensors 111029-2 by Execudork, on Flickr
Note the fact the O2 sensor's connector has been ziptied to the brake lines, rather than connected to its receptacle.

I only managed to replace the passenger-side sensor, a few whacks with the mallet against the vise-grips locked onto the old one did the trick after some PB Blaster spraying. The driver-side one did not succumb to that treatment - repeated saturation with PB Blaster and many tries on the adjustable wrench and the vise-grips left me with lightly rounded corners on the old sensor. I can't even just plug it in to see if it works because the end of the wire has been ripped off - it was just dangling in space, and was probably amputated on some rock on some gravel road somewhere.

O2 Sensors 111029-3 by Execudork, on Flickr
Pictured: Bastard. Not Pictured: Room to get my $16, purchased-last-night O2 Sensor Socket in there.

While I was under there I noticed a bar hanging below the engine, just in front of the transmission, was loose. A few minutes with my 17mm socket put those bolts back in and stopped the rattling. So at least I accomplished something.

I gave up on the seized sensor after an hour of rounding those corners, I need to try again with better tools. What's the name of the wrench/socket thing that lets you put a socket wrench or breaker bar on it, and comes in from the side? This is pictured on Pelican Parts, and I want one:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ExecuDork posted:

That's one hell of a lot of slop, I wonder if the open end is as poorly-toleranced.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

ExecuDork posted:

It was a series of adventures, and now I am tired. Jacking up my car was the first adventure, I have a gravel parking space and my jackstands tend to sink in a bit.

Plywood. On anything but concrete I won't go under my car without it after this happened.

Also, I believe you're looking for crow's foot wrenches if you're talking about that attachment.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 30, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crustashio posted:

Plywood. On anything but concrete I won't go under my car without it after this happened.

Also, I believe you're looking for crow's foot wrenches if you're talking about that attachment.
Wassup POWERFIST buddy? :hfive: Also, that's loving terrifying. The entire time I was under my car this afternoon I was very careful to avoid pushing on or accidentally kicking or something any of the jackstands. Not an experience I wish to repeat.

Thanks, I thought that might be the name but given the odds of the Princess Auto employees knowing anything, I thought it best to find out for sure.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Crowfoot wrench, but don't waste your money; they won't take much torque and you've already rounded the corners. You need a propane or MAPP torch to get the bung good and hot, then try the vise-grips and hammer.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Installed and programmed an UltraGauge. Really nice alternative to a ScanGauge at about half the price.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

hedge posted:

Installed and programmed an UltraGauge. Really nice alternative to a ScanGauge at about half the price.

Also looks a shitload better. How's the update rate and functionality compared to the Scangauge?

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So today was the day. A friend and I started the day with an awesome trek at the Cops and Rodders car show and then finally headed over to the casa to do the install. Overall install time took us 12 hours and ended with a fully functioning car! During the test drive/shake down phase I tried to limit the time in boost but so far there have been no CELs and aside from an initial oil leak that was fixed, no mechanical problems. So now I definitely need to get the car professionally tuned but based off the rough fuel setup i'm pulling strong from 2000 rpm on. AFR's during open loop (throttle down and accelerating) are floating between 11.8 and 13.6 while closed loop (foot off the throttle) is fluctuating between 13.9 and 15.2. All in all i'm rocking a big smile on my face and am looking forward to many years of boosted fun.

Here are some pictures from the install:

The troops assemble.

Bumper removed.

Victory! Removing that stock manifold was probably the hardest step on the removal side.

Ready to rumble!

Getting covered in mass quantities of oil.

Turbo, downpipe, and manifold installed!

Friend about to fabricate some intercooler brackets.

Time for a test drive followed by reassembly!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Podothehobbit posted:

So today was the day. A friend and I started the day with an awesome trek at the Cops and Rodders car show and then finally headed over to the casa to do the install. Overall install time took us 12 hours and ended with a fully functioning car! During the test drive/shake down phase I tried to limit the time in boost but so far there have been no CELs and aside from an initial oil leak that was fixed, no mechanical problems. So now I definitely need to get the car professionally tuned but based off the rough fuel setup i'm pulling strong from 2000 rpm on. AFR's during open loop (throttle down and accelerating) are floating between 11.8 and 13.6 while closed loop (foot off the throttle) is fluctuating between 13.9 and 15.2. All in all i'm rocking a big smile on my face and am looking forward to many years of boosted fun.

The troops assemble.

Bumper removed.

Victory! Removing that stock manifold was probably the hardest step on the removal side.

Ready to rumble!

loving brilliant! Get thee to a dyno!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Podothehobbit posted:

The troops assemble.

Bumper removed.

Ready to rumble!

I bet that thing rips like hell now.

Pretty sure I'm getting out HP'd by a Yaris now too :(

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Lowclock posted:

Also looks a shitload better. How's the update rate and functionality compared to the Scangauge?
Update rate is about as good as the ScanGauge and it has more gauges out of the box (although you can't program your own like you can with a ScanGauge). You can set up three pages of gauges and have it automatically scroll through them. You can set high/low alarms for all of the gauges.

The only things I would change about the UltraGauge would be to have user configurable lighting color and a detachable cable.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
I left it outside in an electrical storm. I have never seen flash rust so even and GOLD before.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

I bet that thing rips like hell now.

hedge posted:

Pretty sure I'm getting out HP'd by a Yaris now too :(

Thanks for the responses. My plan is to get the dynotune done this upcoming weekend. Video will follow!

Also one last photo from the install...

Post install and trial drive, good night sweet prince.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My VW... I tried to start it and found it was out of fuel. Weird. Put some in, started it and drove it back and forth in the small space that I could, slamming on the brakes, and doing similar with the hand brake just to keep everything moving.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Took my car down the Twisted Sisters in Kerrville Texas for the first time. Kept up with the supercharged MRS in our group. I need a bigger engine and better brakes now.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Took a better picture, then did the "washer trick" and lowered the car by .75" or so by shimming the ride height sensors down.

Hard to tell, but it's lower.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I've done quite a bit to the car in the past few months. The Dinan stage 3 suspension went in, and an Akrapovic exhaust & Evolve-R toon replaced the Dinan "performance" parts. I resold the Dinan exhaust and got some shots of the titanium doing its nifty rainbow thing (it started out grey)

I opted for the CF tips because I liked the black on white look the Dinan exhaust had:

All told worth ~20 rwhp and 25 ft-lbs. Those cats are TUV and MOT legal, I'd have done the Dinan pipe but it had no cats and wouldn't pass inspection in England.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Put together a camera mount for my upcoming track day.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Found (and cleaned) the intake manifold bolts! Hopefully the weather holds tomorrow so I can get that and the ignition installed tomorrow.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Got my steelies to mount up my snow tires!

Wait.

Thanks, UPS, for randomly holding one of the four wheels for no loving reason. Even the dog thinks it's stupid.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Rockauto sent me some NOS brake hoses with date code 10/1989! Thanks, I'll get right to installing some 22 year old brake hoses. :psyboom:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Drove down to the states, picked up my winter tires/steelies, drove back. Installed them, got to the last wheel, and the shop that had the front tire off last cross threaded the nut getting it back on. Cue broken stud... Sigh.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

opengl128 posted:

Put together a camera mount for my upcoming track day.

That's pretty clever. I usually just moved my passenger seat up/foward as far as it will go then stuff the camera in the headrest. Might have to copy that next year when I get a gopro.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Crustashio posted:

That's pretty clever. I usually just moved my passenger seat up/foward as far as it will go then stuff the camera in the headrest. Might have to copy that next year when I get a gopro.

That's exactly what I used to do, but the track organizers require it to be hard mounted in the car to pass tech.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Detailed the hell out of it.

Engine bay:

Interior:

Exterior wash and wax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkdog
Nov 5, 2011
That's a nice S2000.