Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Any criticism at all does not equal dream crushing and outright mockery. I am not apologetic in my criticism either. They're going to face much worse vitriol than our snickering and they shouldn't be white knighted. One of the best things I had going for me when I was an awkward young artist was a guy I knew online who was a professional artist who judged my crappy stuff according to real world standards. I would show him a thing and he would say "It's poo poo. It's actually really really bad. There's literally nothing good about it." I wanted to make art so bad that this actually helped! I started learning how to recognize what was poo poo and what wasn't. The day I finally showed him something and he had a couple of positive things to say about it, I knew I was on the right track.

I've attended a private 4-year university for my art education instead of an art school and while great in many ways, I got so sick of weak rear end critiques from faculty who were industry professionals. One thing we have to accept is that we have to get used to people not caring about our work. If these kids want to make games, like for realsies, they're going to whether we have a laugh at their expense or not. For all we know, they'll release a trailer or whatever and it'll be great, and maybe they'll be awesome in the future and look back and laugh at their own bad website and over-eagerness (like we all do) but I personally think that NOT poking fun at them is doing them a disservice, and we're definitely the MOST understanding lot they'll be running into.

mutata fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e:^^ ceebee spent literal years showing me his new thing. At the beginning all he really had was a lot of drive, and now he's got an education and a career (and kicks rear end)

Black Eagle posted:

But I really don't see why ragging on a 13-year-old boy should be good fun for adults.

Because you continuously look past the fact that we are not making fun of children, we are looking at children as naive as we are and laughing at the naivety of youth. It's not mean spirited. We are laughing these kids that are like we were, we are laughing at us.

And y'know what, every one of us got there. Maybe I'll see these kids' names on a resume 8 years from now. That doesn't mean it's not funny.

For the record, I didn't buy your avatar change, and it took me a second to realize what was going on :v:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sigma-X posted:

Because you continuously look past the fact that we are not making fun of children, we are looking at children as naive as we are and laughing at the naivety of youth. It's not mean spirited. We are laughing these kids that are like we were, we are laughing at us.
No, I get it. I understand where you all are coming from. Over the years, I developed a motto, "Naive today. Wiser tomorrow." I remember wanting to build a Flash MMO when I was 13 and experienced Flash programmers told me that an MMO in Flash was impossible. At some point, I wanted to take on MySpace, too, but Zuckerberg beat me to the high school/college market, primarily because I believed my friends when they said I couldn't do it. MySpace was just too big! Nevertheless, I just feel that it's more productive to help people accomplish their goals rather than just sit back and enjoy the show. We are in the Game Jobs thread, after all. Presumably, we're here to give advice and "school" each other.

Sigma-X posted:

For the record, I didn't buy your avatar change, and it took me a second to realize what was going on :v:
I would have left the new avatar (my photo) and changed my username to my real name, but whoever actually spent $9.95 to do that had to swear.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
I think we're all missing the most important thing here: how did the interview with them go Aliginge? Do you think you'll get offered the role?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Black Eagle posted:

No, I get it. I understand where you all are coming from. Over the years, I developed a motto, "Naive today. Wiser tomorrow." I remember wanting to build a Flash MMO when I was 13 and experienced Flash programmers told me that an MMO in Flash was impossible. At some point, I wanted to take on MySpace, too, but Zuckerberg beat me to the high school/college market, primarily because I believed my friends when they said I couldn't do it. MySpace was just too big! Nevertheless, I just feel that it's more productive to help people accomplish their goals rather than just sit back and enjoy the show. We are in the Game Jobs thread, after all. Presumably, we're here to give advice and "school" each other.

I would have left the new avatar (my photo) and changed my username to my real name, but whoever actually spent $9.95 to do that had to swear.
It may not be the most progressive of me, but here's how it goes:

I went through the hazing when I was a kid. The older devs laughed at me, and between chuckles, pointed me at the information I needed to improve my knowledge. I took it in stride, and it made me a better developer. It taught me that you need to have a hard skin to achieve anything in this industry, or in life period, and so I will probably rib the kids a little bit myself now.

I am still nicer than some of those I worked with before... I'm not hostile, for instance, or bitchy. But if a kid turns tail because I make a minor joke about his picture and compare it to Counter-Strike, or chuckle at their team balance - well, that's unfortunate, but I don't coddle. Those that laugh along and get that there's no outright hostility, I help. Hell, I'm going to be giving a talk at CU Boulder here in a few weeks, amongst other things - I actively work in the community to try and help people along.

... so sue me if I crack a light hearted joke now and then ;)

EDIT: And forgive the refrain, but "this is an internet comedy forum." Lighten up. There is nothing mean-spirited here. We found a funny website. We laughed at it for a few minutes. We're moving on.

EDIT: Also, let's hold off on the Black Eagle bashing and counter-bushing too, if we could. Funny title was funny, yes, he drops quotes a lot. But yes, he's also talked to a shitload of industry luminaries. Everyone likes to talk about their work, he's no different, let's keep it moving along.

EDIT: VV Wait, you're interviewing for somewhere else already? Job not working out, or just moving up in the world?

EDIT2: :downsgun:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 26, 2011

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Smegbot posted:

I think we're all missing the most important thing here: how did the interview with them go Aliginge? Do you think you'll get offered the role?

They already offerred me the role in their first email :v:

I wish I was as proactive as he was at his age, but the rest of the guys there should know better. :/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

EDIT: VV Wait, you're interviewing for somewhere else already? Job not working out, or just moving up in the world?

We found the funny kids' website because they cold-emailed Aliginge and offered him a job.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By the way, I was involved with an all-volunteer game project awhile ago. Here's their website. (I tried very hard to get them to write real profiles.) The music is amazing. Midway Games wanted to publish the game at some point, but we turned them down.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Lotta kids here today from Tribeca Flashpoint. I got put on the spot to talk about how I got here and any advice I could give them.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Shalinor I think it's time for a new thread title.

Game Jobs Megathread #3: 13 year old future millionaire with no talent.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Diplomaticus posted:

Shalinor I think it's time for a new thread title.

Game Jobs Megathread #3: 13 year old future millionaire with no talent.

I think you mean "13 year old future millionaire looking for coders."

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Also Black Eagle's gig is awesome, gently caress all y'all haters.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Game Jobs Megathread #3: John Romero is quoted in my new book about 13-year old millionaires looking for coders.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

mutata posted:

Any criticism at all does not equal dream crushing and outright mockery.
Well, I think it's safe enough to mock them if they think their project will be the Next Big Thing. If they prove me wrong, I'll happily eat my words, but I'm pretty sure everyone grew up with that garage band that thought they were going to be on MTV within years because Silverchair and Hanson made it, or could get a record deal because punk rock is so easy to play. I got to see it again with the countless mod teams lined up to make the next Counterstrike.

All of these had the same thing in common, which is what made it naive: They wanted to be the Next Big Thing, but didn't understand their audience or the art enough to know what made those Big Things so exceptional. They probably didn't really respect their limits either, i.e. how massive of a gulf there is between the technical ability to replicate an existing work and the creative ability to make a new work of similar quality.

I don't say they shouldn't be ambitious, but they should realize that doing things because they're fun or enlightening are not the same as doing them because they will be completed or useful.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Shalinor posted:

EDIT2: :downsgun:
:haw:

Seriously though DNA Studios is working out fuckin great. I did a Ren-And-Stimpy-style static painting of A DEAD GUY today. :v:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Aliginge posted:

I did a Ren-And-Stimpy-style static painting of A DEAD GUY today. :v:

The dream: lived.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
So, after a phone interview for a new position, how soon would you follow up so that you seem interested but not being pesky? A week? Two?

I feel like I have to fight for them to even consider hiring ANYONE for this position, so I don't want them to shelve it before I get a chance to try to convince them otherwise..

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Fizzle posted:

So, after a phone interview for a new position, how soon would you follow up so that you seem interested but not being pesky? A week? Two?

I feel like I have to fight for them to even consider hiring ANYONE for this position, so I don't want them to shelve it before I get a chance to try to convince them otherwise..

I find one week to be perfectly fine. Two is pretty long. My general rule is to send a quick "Thank you" e-mail immediately after or the next day. Then a follow up one week later.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006

Mega Shark posted:

I find one week to be perfectly fine. Two is pretty long. My general rule is to send a quick "Thank you" e-mail immediately after or the next day. Then a follow up one week later.

Yeah, sent the "Thank You" basically an hour after the call directly to the person I interviewed with. Guess it's time to draft up the Follow up restating what I feel I can bring to the position.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Fizzle posted:

Yeah, sent the "Thank You" basically an hour after the call directly to the person I interviewed with. Guess it's time to draft up the Follow up restating what I feel I can bring to the position.

Whatever works for you. Personally, I don't want to be to presumptuous, so basically I say: "I hope you had a great week. Thank you again for the interview last <insert day here>. If there is anything else you need please feel free to contact me by phone (<number>) or e-mail. Sincerely, Mega Shark."

I figure they've asked the questions they wanted to ask and I've made the best impression I could. The quick e-mail is just a reminder and let's them know you're more interested than half the other people they may have interviewed.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

After a phone interview, try and prep up a few small things to add to your portfolio, sprinkled across the weeks. Bonus points if they relate to questions that were asked during the interview. Timeline should look something like this:

- T+1: thank you email
- T+7: "thanks again for taking the time to interview me, I just wanted to let you know that <small addition to portfiolio>
- T+14: "Just wanted to update you again on my portfolio, since I <bigger thing> - your question about it in the interview reminded me that I'd never tried it, so, what the heck"

Etc.

Using this strategy, you can conceivably send a check-in email every 1-2 weeks for months and not have it be annoying (but do drop to more like 2 weeks per after the first month). So long as there's actual content you're adding, it can actually be helpful and mark you out as a strong candidate that responds to criticism/listens/etc.

EDIT: Theoretically, this won't be hard, since you should be continuously working on your portfolio while on the hunt. So hopefully you're just letting them know of things you're already doing, and can use them across multiple companies with which you're pending.

EDIT2: VV I got my current gig 3 months after a phone interview. It took them ages to get around to starting the hiring process in earnest. The only reason I got remembered was because I kept up polite emails throughout that entire time.

Do not give up. Never underestimate how busy or forgetful the HR staff / team leads / etc that you're working with are. Keep in contact until you are specifically told you're being passed over for this position... and EVEN THEN, send an email monthly if they have job listings you're appropriate for. "Hey, I noticed you threw up a new listing - wondered if that would be a better fit than the previous position? I've been updating my portfolio too, if that made folks reticent previously."

... I also very nearly got glossed over because when I chatted with them, I inadvertently made it clear that LEGO didn't seem as cool as Jumpgate. Big mistake. Also, LEGO was the right choice, considering that I would have lost my job ages ago on the Jumpgate team.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 26, 2011

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com
And after a couple weeks of no response, it's probably time to move on.

Attend game industry events and seek out those guys who interviewed you over the phone and be sure to thank them in person again. It'll make them remember you, if there's ever a next time.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Lotta kids here today from Tribeca Flashpoint. I got put on the spot to talk about how I got here and any advice I could give them.

And a bunch just got passed over for me to answer some more questions! It was pretty fun and they were all cool guys, showed them what I was working on and what might be next. Really informal and down to earth, not afraid to ask about my background and such.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006

M4rk posted:

And after a couple weeks of no response, it's probably time to move on.

Attend game industry events and seek out those guys who interviewed you over the phone and be sure to thank them in person again. It'll make them remember you, if there's ever a next time.

I thought that too, about the couple weeks thing, but I had a contact at Riot that I asked a couple times with no response, knowing that he's a busy guy I didn't take it personally, I just sent another one in 2 weeks.. After 2 1/2 months from the time I submitted my application, I got my interview. Apparently they appreciate persistence, it shows that you're driven.. (I was even told this)

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
What was this hilarious Black Eagle title that I apparently was signed off for? I never get to see the fun stuff. :(

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
If I like you after a first phone screen, I'll probably just tell you that we want to bring you in. If I'm on the fence or leaning towards no, I'll say that you'll hear something in a few days after discussing it with the team. I might send you a test to sway me one way or the other. If it's a definite no, I'll tell you as much on the phone. In all cases, I'll give you my direct email (up until now, you've been going through HR exclusively), and tell you to mail me with any questions or concerns.

It goes the same way when you come in for an on-site. Though the negotiations and getting an offer letter together and all those things can take a long rear end time, depending on where we are in the quarter, what headcount looks like, etc.

The goal from my end is to ensure your interview with us is courteous and smooth, to the point where even if we end up passing on you that you're impressed enough with us to want to work with us in the future, tell your friends about it, and so on.

It doesn't always go this way though - things come up, red-tape comes up, people get busy, one person on the team has a strong objection, and so on. But it really should! The limbo is the worst.

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006

devilmouse posted:

If I like you after a first phone screen, I'll probably just tell you that we want to bring you in. If I'm on the fence or leaning towards no, I'll say that you'll hear something in a few days after discussing it with the team. I might send you a test to sway me one way or the other. If it's a definite no, I'll tell you as much on the phone. In all cases, I'll give you my direct email (up until now, you've been going through HR exclusively), and tell you to mail me with any questions or concerns.

It goes the same way when you come in for an on-site. Though the negotiations and getting an offer letter together and all those things can take a long rear end time, depending on where we are in the quarter, what headcount looks like, etc.

The goal from my end is to ensure your interview with us is courteous and smooth, to the point where even if we end up passing on you that you're impressed enough with us to want to work with us in the future, tell your friends about it, and so on.

It doesn't always go this way though - things come up, red-tape comes up, people get busy, one person on the team has a strong objection, and so on. But it really should! The limbo is the worst.

Yeah, I guess not getting a flat out no should make me feel at least a little better. I know when I interviewed people for positions I would always tell people if they weren't going to make the cut right then and there. I'd hope more people dp the same.

This is a Community position so there's no real portfolio or tests that can be given. It's all in personality and drive... I was noticeably nervous about the interview and I know it showed on the phone, but I would assume they kinda expect that. The limbo is KILLING me though

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
So I guess I'm not the only one who finds it a little off-putting that the most prolific posters and advice-givers in this thread don't actually work in game development.
Broader and more diverse perspectives are valuable but it can wear a little thin at times.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DancingMachine posted:

So I guess I'm not the only one who finds it a little off-putting that the most prolific posters and advice-givers in this thread don't actually work in game development.
Broader and more diverse perspectives are valuable but it can wear a little thin at times.

Who else doesn't make videogames aside from Book Eagle? I thought we were all cool kids living the dream.

I'm a cool kid

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sigma-X posted:

Who else doesn't make videogames aside from Book Eagle? I thought we were all cool kids living the dream.
I was a UI designer for social games before there were "social games" (even before there was Facebook), I worked at SCEA and SOE on six PSP and PS2 titles, and I also worked with Andy Schatz on Monaco. But I never made game development my career. I build companies, grow businesses, and support people who want to do both.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Sigma-X posted:

I'm a cool kid

Eh, it's probably not productive to start drawing bright lines between people who are "in" and "out". But I think it would be useful for folks to think for a moment before they post about whether they should be posting with the voice of authority (i.e. I directly do thing x and am qualified to judge or advise on topic y) or the voice of "my $.02".

M4rk
Oct 14, 2006

ArcheAgeSource.com

Sigma-X posted:

I'm a cool kid
I'm not cool. :saddowns:

But I have worked at Game Recruiter and Curse. I'm not sure if that's "in" or out but I definitely feel "in" with the amount of liaising I do with studios and publishers now, especially Korean-based ones.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Blast, my secret is out. I admit it. I just work at Gamestop. I don't even sell the games, I just clean the employee toilets and wipe down the demo units. Sometimes, when no one is looking, I play the demo units, even :unsmith:

Pfhreak
Jan 30, 2004

Frog Blast The Vent Core!

Shalinor posted:

Blast, my secret is out. I admit it. I just work at Gamestop. I don't even sell the games, I just clean the employee toilets and wipe down the demo units. Sometimes, when no one is looking, I play the demo units, even :unsmith:

And you run the game competition thread just so you can bring the entries in to Gamestop and tell everyone how "You are writing new codes almost every week!"

We're all so proud of you Shalinor. :unsmith:

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If you're going to be in the San Diego area on December 13, San Diego Filmmakers will be hosting an panel discussion about voice acting and production issues across video games, television, and features. Lani Minella and Dino Andrade will be among the panelists. The event hasn't been announced yet, so a third panelist is forthcoming. San Diego Filmmakers also has its anniversary celebration on November 8, if you're interested in mingling with filmmakers, developers-turned-filmmakers, festival directors, and others. There is likely to be a celebrity speaker or two. [Disclosure: I'm an advisor to the board of directors at San Diego Filmmakers.]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Full disclosure: I'm currently straddling the line between in and out. Finishing up my degree(s) while working full time for Disney for game art internship number 2.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm a sysadmin in a game company who wishes he was a game designer, it's ok.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah, well, it's busy on the inside. I just got home, myself...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Shalinor posted:

Aliginge is mine, goddamnit, no one else can have him!

Going into work every day is so exciting right now because we're a pretty rockin' duo making some great stuff. Plus he's starting to get used to me saying "Not done! Needs more!" Sometimes it feels lovely at the time to insist that something just doesn't cut it yet, but when the resultant final product simply speaks for itself it feels worth it.

This probably has the highest production values of any game I've ever worked on and it's nice to be leading it. Just wish our partners weren't on the other side of the world. Time zones are a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Akuma posted:

Aliginge is mine, goddamnit, no one else can have him!
To anyone wondering about this, this is literally true. :geno:

Akuma posted:

Going into work every day is so exciting right now because we're a pretty rockin' duo making some great stuff. Plus he's starting to get used to me saying "Not done! Needs more!" Sometimes it feels lovely at the time to insist that something just doesn't cut it yet, but when the resultant final product simply speaks for itself it feels worth it.

On the contrary you're getting used to working with an artist :v: (who isn't on the other side of the world.)

An honest second perspective is always useful though, artistic or not. Staring at art for several hours at a time means I always lose perspective and then you go back to it a day later and go woahwhattheshit did I do that?

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 27, 2011