Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/10/grand-theft-auto-v-will-be-set-in-los-angeles-may-star-multiple-characters/

"Insider sources", so take it with a grain of salt, are claiming that it's going to be set in L.A. and will feature multiple playable main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

it will be based in escanaba michigan and your main missions will be lumber and copper-mining based. Your rival gangs will be all finnlanders, and a few other scandinavian gangs. All cars will be trucks or snowmobiles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Time traveling GTA set through the 1940s through 2029 across all previously visited or mentioned (eg Carcer City) cities as well as other global and us cities.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Source: Kotaku

One of the playable characters is set to be Bigfoot, together with the other characters you will discover the secret of the 7 lifts under the Calahan Bridge in GTA3

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That "news" was mentioned before; but it would be cool if true imo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

simosimo posted:

Source: Kotaku

One of the playable characters is set to be Bigfoot, together with the other characters you will discover the secret of the 7 lifts under the Calahan Bridge in GTA3

If the character is some kind of asian cartoon with gigantic breasts, then you know Kotaku can be a trusted source.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Clearly none of you people listened to K-ROSE, the best radio station. Mary May Beth was the best loving thing on the radio and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The most horrible revenge a game company ever took on me was the extreme :smith: bigfoot mission in RDR: Zombies

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The most horrible revenge a game company ever took on me was the extreme :smith: bigfoot mission in RDR: Zombies

Yeah, I left the dude alone too feeling awful.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I don't care where/when GTA is set, so long as the basic requirements are met:
1. At least a few street cars with a top speed of "gently caress you pigs"
2. Helicopters
3. Rocket Launchers

So basically anywhere in the world set in the 60s and up and I'm happy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So, anyone else get this bug with their STEAM SA when the sound just shuts off?

It is just plain eerie.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

jerkstoresup posted:

I don't care where/when GTA is set, so long as the basic requirements are met:
1. At least a few street cars with a top speed of "gently caress you pigs"
2. Helicopters
3. Rocket Launchers

So basically anywhere in the world set in the 60s and up and I'm happy.

Ahem

Basic requirements also include:

1)hidden packages that unlock things in increments
2)jumps and stunts that also unlock things in increments
3)garages, with multiple spaces because a little strip of road outside is poo poo
4)built in maps for all of the collectables
5)a variety of side games that while not over the top, constitute to more than 2 or 3 things repeated 50 times each.

6)all of the above but spread out over the entire city so I have a reason to explore other than "oooh look at the prettyish rendition of a city".

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'd be surprised if any of the GTAIV characters make another appearance. They said after San Andreas that the IV signified a new storyline, so I'd assume moving from IV to V means the same. And besides, if you consider the expansion packs to be separate games (and Rockstar probably do), we've already finished the GTA IV trilogy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Why would you put out a big V colored in the styling of American money if you're going to be doing GTA London?

There are people who are so convinced that it's London that they tried to compare it to a random V on the five pound note. It would kind of make sense since it's a similar font, except for the fact that the "five" over the V looks exactly like the old five dollar bill. Some people will go very far to grasp at straws.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I really hope they drop the multiplayer trophies from GTA5. I was all psyched up to make GTA4 my first platinum and was making solid progress thru all the single player trophies, then I tried the multiplayer. I don't think I finished a single trophy after that.

I know there are people who love GTA multiplayer (a few of them in this thread) but it's definitely not for everybody. The ridiculous amount of grinding even if you did like multiplayer in GTA4 was just too much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really hope Just or Unjust returns for GTA5. It was my favorite radio program in GTA4 and whenever it came on I would just stop driving to my objective (if the time allowed) and listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk1wNuHg1FA

RELEASE THE LION

BGrifter posted:

I really hope they drop the multiplayer trophies from GTA5. I was all psyched up to make GTA4 my first platinum and was making solid progress thru all the single player trophies, then I tried the multiplayer. I don't think I finished a single trophy after that.

I know there are people who love GTA multiplayer (a few of them in this thread) but it's definitely not for everybody. The ridiculous amount of grinding even if you did like multiplayer in GTA4 was just too much.

GTA4's "Wanted" achievement is the most ridiculous online play achievement I've ever seen. I actually tried to do it but stopped half way because it was just so draining to keep doing it.

The math behind it is just staggering, I probably got this wrong but I'm tired so let's run at it

You need 5 million to reach Rank 10, and the fastest way to make money is to play the Co-Op mode "Hangman's NOOSE" on Hard. You make a minimum of $4500 per completion, and it takes roughly 2-3 minutes to complete it but most people get it around 3.

$5,000,000 bank / $4,500 earned = 1,111 completions
1,111 completions * 3 minutes per play = 3,333 minutes (or 56 hours)

This is assuming that every single attempt is successful, where you survive to the end of each one and everyone knows what they're doing. This isn't counting any downtime between games either.

Good god, I know there must be a few people here who have Wanted and I just can't fathom how they did it.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 27, 2011

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

SeanBeansShako posted:

So, anyone else get this bug with their STEAM SA when the sound just shuts off?

It is just plain eerie.

I had a similar problem with my copy where the sound would cut out when there were additional sound effects - I know that rain would do it a lot.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
GTA V will be based in on generic SE Asian island nation with strangely variable climates and you play a Panamanian black ops agent with a retractable grapple hook and parachute. And there are no stores or styling options, you just blow poo poo up.

Actually no.

One of the funniest parts of the SA radio was Chuck D talking about RPG games, specifically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxTFDNbSWHs

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Kin posted:

Ahem

Basic requirements also include:

1)hidden packages that unlock things in increments
2)jumps and stunts that also unlock things in increments
3)garages, with multiple spaces because a little strip of road outside is poo poo
4)built in maps for all of the collectables
5)a variety of side games that while not over the top, constitute to more than 2 or 3 things repeated 50 times each.

6)all of the above but spread out over the entire city so I have a reason to explore other than "oooh look at the prettyish rendition of a city".

A nice big garage would be nice, but seems like you want to be force-fed things to do in GTA rather than just playing around with the sandbox.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

jerkstoresup posted:

A nice big garage would be nice, but seems like you want to be force-fed things to do in GTA rather than just playing around with the sandbox.

Yeah I hate when games force-feed me fun and exciting things to do outside the main storyline. As if they can't give you more things to do and also play around in the sandbox on your own.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

jerkstoresup posted:

Ahahahaha you're joking.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Hidden packages (along with photographs, flying rats, and what have you) are boring, and a lovely way to provide the player with extra activities.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I agree about hidden packages being boring and outdated. But that's just one form activity.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Himuro posted:

I agree about hidden packages being boring and outdated. But that's just one form activity.

Different tastes, I like hunting down collectables like that. The completionist in me loves ticking things off a list. Batman Arkham Asylum did an amazing job of giving me tons of odd things to hunt down and many small lists to complete.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Arkham Asylum had a good collection system because you only collected a few things, and every time you collected something you got something to look at or read or listen to. Killing 200 pigeons was boring and annoying. Mainly because they were annoying to find and there was no gain besides getting 100% and I didn't even get that damned key because my modem died at 11:50 and I didn't realize til after midnight.

Something interesting, yeah cram that in the game. A bunch of stupid collections, no. Or at least don't require it for 100%.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
At least with the collectible crap, Assassins Creed:Brotherhood let you buy a map for the feathers (of which there were only 10 :wtc: ) which AC2 really could've used. And really every other game with that crap, such as GTA.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
At least with hidden packages you get rewarded for seeking them out.

Hidden pigeons? You get jack poo poo for finding those things. Awful.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I hope Darkel is in this one!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cojawfee posted:

Arkham Asylum had a good collection system because you only collected a few things, and every time you collected something you got something to look at or read or listen to. Killing 200 pigeons was boring and annoying. Mainly because they were annoying to find and there was no gain besides getting 100% and I didn't even get that damned key because my modem died at 11:50 and I didn't realize til after midnight.

Something interesting, yeah cram that in the game. A bunch of stupid collections, no. Or at least don't require it for 100%.

Arkham Asylum was one of the best collectables systems I've seen, but those sorts of systems appeal to me in general. I like having optional mindless grindy tasks I can do while watching a movie or something. It's the same reason I enjoyed doing a bunch of WoW achievements as something mindless to do while watching TV shows.

I'd be totally fine with them seperating it from the 100% completion. Make it as optional as can be.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I think they could make hidden packages more interesting by not placing them in random places. A part of the reason the Riddler's tests are fun is because he acknowledges them as challenges.

Make the hidden packages related to the drug trade or something. Someone has stolen a ridiculous amount of coke from your gang, and you use any clue you can to find the stash. Maybe there's some in the trunk of an abandoned vehicle. Maybe in a trash can. Make it so that the player is more aware of their surroundings, much like how we are when playing Batman.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Phat_Albert posted:

it will be based in escanaba michigan and your main missions will be lumber and copper-mining based. Your rival gangs will be all finnlanders, and a few other scandinavian gangs. All cars will be trucks or snowmobiles.

GTA: Twin Peaks

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm playing SA on steam and it's very crash'y. I downgraded from 3.00 to 1.01 (to get my native resolution availale).

But I keep getting random crashes. From what I can tell it's the frame limiter (being off) causing problems. But with it on, the game plays at 25fps, which is a nightmare.

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.
I have never intentionally collected a hidden package. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

At least with the collectible crap, Assassins Creed:Brotherhood let you buy a map for the feathers (of which there were only 10 :wtc: ) which AC2 really could've used. And really every other game with that crap, such as GTA.

I did the feathers with a good guide, but jesus it was still tedious.

I...I don't think I can kill all those pigeons. Only got around seventy out of two hundred. No more.

VanV posted:

I have never intentionally collected a hidden package. :colbert:

How did you stay sane at the start of SA? Just a handful of pistol rounds and your puny fists drove me insane!

Seriously, there is like six nearby just outside the dudes house.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I remember when I bought Vice City, I collected all the hidden packages before even doing the first mission(by getting to a Helicopter somehow, I think I parked a truck somewhere and climbed it to get over one of the fences they keep you in the first area)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I always did all 12 levels of the Ambulance missions before the first mission because I needed me some infinite sprint.

drive_the_hive
Jan 2, 2008

by T. Fine
I bet GTA V is gonna go back to Vice City. It'd be nice.

On a different note, is anyone as (stupidly) disappointed as I am that they're already releasing another major gta title? I think they shouldve let more time go by and make some more in-between GTA games like Vice City and San Andreas were in-betweeners to III. Because then, the move from III (+ VC & SA) to IV was so unfathomably groundbreaking and I fear going from IV to V wont be anywhere near as amazing as it's probably going to be on the same engine IV ran on and it will look pretty much the same as IV, L&D and BoGT. Dont get me wrong I think the GTA series is one of the best video game series ever made but I kinda couldve waited longer for a new big title... v :( v

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It would have been nice if they had the decency to come back to GTA IV and actually give Nico some resolution, instead of just assuming he just hit the antidepressants and stopped hanging out with Roman.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

drive_the_hive posted:

I bet GTA V is gonna go back to Vice City. It'd be nice.

On a different note, is anyone as (stupidly) disappointed as I am that they're already releasing another major gta title? I think they shouldve let more time go by and make some more in-between GTA games...

You know it's going to be a 4 year cycle right? GTA 4 came out in 2008 and 5 won't come out until 2012. How much longer do you want to wait? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I like collectibles, but I do want rewards for them.
100% GTA3
100% GTA:VC
100% GTA:SA
98%-suck-a-dick-GFWL-don't-eat-my-save GTA 4

• Locked thread