Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ixjuvin posted:

Also, I'm betting that John and Jade become Colonel Sassacre and Betty Crocker

Betty Crocker is the troll empress :ssh: She was recruited by Lord English via Doc Scratch via the Handmaiden and sent to Earth to influence events there that were beyond Doc's direct control.

Also Colonel Sassacre is literally Mark Twain. While Mark Twain is also a meteor-delivered time traveler from an alternate universe, he is not John Egbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
John and Jade are going to continue being John and Jade. They didn't stay in the session to get scratched with it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alright squiddles intermission, bring it on.

Part of me actually hopes he at least pretends to do this at some point.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Gabriel Pope posted:

Betty Crocker is the troll empress :ssh: She was recruited by Lord English via Doc Scratch via the Handmaiden and sent to Earth to influence events there that were beyond Doc's direct control.

Also Colonel Sassacre is literally Mark Twain. While Mark Twain is also a meteor-delivered time traveler from an alternate universe, he is not John Egbert.

Oh drat I forgot about this stuff. Why is this story so complicated :negative:

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

President Ark posted:

While you're waiting for an update, Andrew posted part 4 of the flash recap-explanation-thing on his blog.

drat. His explanation of the 4th Wall stuff being basically a meta-gag is pretty interesting, and something I hadn't considered before. Definitely excuses any unease I might have had about something like that being a critical plot point.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think the best (and most likely) topic of this intermission would be just an exploration of whatever universe was created or changed by the scratch, in the style of the early pages of HS.

I imagine it would be fairly easy to keep that from running too long. The early pages seem like they'd be hell of easy to do in comparison to his recent output.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

President Ark posted:

While you're waiting for an update, Andrew posted part 4 of the flash recap-explanation-thing on his blog.

Oh man, this guy knows how to keep speculation fires burning.

"We also can’t be sure that’s all there is to this method. Is it a simple matter of dying on the bed, or is more required? In the only two examples we have of this, Aradia and Dave+Rose, they die spectacularly in an explosion of green fire. Is that among the requirements? This is inconclusive.

"Also, god tier Aradia, Dave, and Rose were all unharmed by the fire during the resurrection process. Dave and Rose’s case was so extreme, they actually emerged from the core of a sun. Does the transformation method itself protect them, until complete? Or is it just the simple matter that upon transforming, they are now immortal, and dying in the very explosion leading to their ascension would count as neither just nor heroic? You may speculate."

Really leaves the door open for people wondering if Lord English might have a handle on Aradia, Dave, and Rose. I mean, it's just a narrative possibility, a door not yet closed, but he's at least acknowledging that this is a totally different way of going God-Tier that involves being baptised in the fires of Lord English.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Yeah, something like that would be fun. Mimic the first 20 or so pages with extremely minor differences, then all of a sudden John 2 puts an axe through Dad during their first battle.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Holy poo poo, Andrew's explanation of the "yellow yard" thing. gently caress me it all comes together so flawlessly.

Also, 11/11/11. Back to the beginning.

e.

Dolash posted:

I mean, it's just a narrative possibility, a door not yet closed, but he's at least acknowledging that this is a totally different way of going God-Tier that involves being baptised in the fires of Lord English.

gently caress that is so cool

net cafe scandal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 27, 2011

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

thanks alot assbag posted:

Yeah, something like that would be fun. Mimic the first 20 or so pages with extremely minor differences, then all of a sudden John 2 puts an axe through Dad during their first battle.

I'm legit hoping this happens.

Also Cal is lord English, calling it now.

Talorat fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 27, 2011

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I started reading through Homestuck again for the third time. Because I'm insane and because I'm impressed by how many words Hussie writes along with the incredibly prolific updates in general, I'm pasting all the text into a text document so I can get a count of how many words this is. I'm also typing in important text from the images as well.

At the moment, I'm just a bit past John and Rose connecting their SBURB sessions. The wordcount is ~7800

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cyrai posted:

I started reading through Homestuck again for the third time. Because I'm insane and because I'm impressed by how many words Hussie writes along with the incredibly prolific updates in general, I'm pasting all the text into a text document so I can get a count of how many words this is. I'm also typing in important text from the images as well.

At the moment, I'm just a bit past John and Rose connecting their SBURB sessions. The wordcount is ~7800

I hope you realize that the update text is already done for you on the site, right?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Gabriel Pope posted:

I hope you realize that the update text is already done for you on the site, right?

Yeah, no, I totally, uh, realized that...

SHUT UP!

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Betty Crocker is the troll empress :ssh:

I don't think the Condesce is Betty Crocker, I mean sure, it could happen, but I'm betting Hussie is misdirecting us like with Doc Scratch's front door. The only thing Scratch said about where he sent the Condesce was that it was a place Lord English couldn't go himself, and Earth doesn't really meet that description. I'm betting she's the person who's supposedly killing all the horrorterrors. What's more fitting for a Feferi's ancestor.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Act 5 is twice as long as Act 1-4 combined.:aaaaa:

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

President Ark posted:

I think the idea is that the 50% fail rate was because he knew she'd achieve it by the moon-core-explosion-bed route, so if he was speaking to Rose and she tried to do it on her quest bed she would fail (because that's not what she was supposed to do and she'd get split into a beta timeline and be doomed)

Which... kind of makes sense?

I think you're right about this. If I recall he specifically said she has the choice to become god tier right now: she knows there is a bed for her on the planet and she can go kill herself right now, or wait for the other method. Obviously the failed method would be her death and thus make a beta timeline... in fact, maybe it did! We don't know how many beta timelines are made by various choices. So the 50% could come from a single timeline split.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't think the Condesce is Betty Crocker, I mean sure, it could happen, but I'm betting Hussie is misdirecting us like with Doc Scratch's front door. The only thing Scratch said about where he sent the Condesce was that it was a place Lord English couldn't go himself, and Earth doesn't really meet that description. I'm betting she's the person who's supposedly killing all the horrorterrors. What's more fitting for a Feferi's ancestor.

The other reason why people think she's crocker is the insignia on her battleship very strongly resembles the Betty Crocker logo (similar outline, same color scheme and design)

Also nana's whole "She was not really human!" story she told to FF.

e: Oh wait, you meant something else. :downs:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 27, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

President Ark posted:

The other reason why people think she's crocker is the insignia on her battleship very strongly resembles the Betty Crocker logo (similar outline, same color scheme and design)

Also nana's whole "She was not really human!" story she told to FF.

Yeah, that what I was talking about with misdirection. The logo strongly implies she's Betty Crocker, but at the end of the day it doesn’t really prove anything. (Also strange that there is troll Betty Crocker on Alternia already.)
The alien part is harder to get around, but not impossible, maybe she was Snowman or something.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I hope it turns out that Scratched Earth is where we all actually live, thus explaining why the world failed to end back in April of 2009.

Also if throughout history we've been socially engineered to be as ruthless and bloodthirsty as possible by a cueball puppet man who lives on the moon, it easily explains why we keep having all these wars.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

Yeah, that what I was talking about with misdirection. The logo strongly implies she's Betty Crocker, but at the end of the day it doesn’t prove anything. (Also strange that there is troll Betty Crocker on Alternia already.)
The alien part is harder to get around, but not impossible, maybe she was Snowman or something.

The Kids' Black Queen is dead. As is Snowman.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I hope it turns out that Scratched Earth is where we all actually live, thus explaining why the world failed to end back in April of 2009.

Also if throughout history we've been socially engineered to be as ruthless and bloodthirsty as possible by a cueball puppet man who lives on the moon, it easily explains why we keep having all these wars.

I would be unironically furious if this turned out to be the case, because it'd be the most predictable, cliched plot twist imaginable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Something that really comes into focus after reading Andrew's EOA explanations: Despite some things in the flash surprising me - such as Jack's method of escape, and the creation of the green sun - there were plenty of things that I and others were able to predict. The mechanism for crossing the fourth wall and across the yellow yard for example, and the meaning of Scratch's phrase "the war of one bullet fired".

It's nice how we can both feel pleased about figuring things out and stunned by surprises that make sense looking back at the same time.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

KoB posted:

Act 5 is twice as long as Act 1-4 combined.:aaaaa:

Well... not quite. First 4 acts ran from April 2009 to June 2010, then act 5 was from then to yesterday. It's about two months longer, yes, but not double the length.

Still, act 5 comprises more than half of Homestuck. Parallel universes, resurrection, God Tier, the Trolls as major characters, Doc Scratch, the Midnight Crew/Felt actually playing a role in the story, frogs... so much poo poo that's practically central to Homestuck lore at this point did not exist before 6/12. The EOA is certainly worthy of such a monster of a story. Plus, maybe it was just me, but I got sort of a Dethklok music video vibe from the whole Dog Tier sequence of Jade collecting the planets. Maybe it was just the music combined with the pentagon (PENTAGRAM!?) of mini-planets, but it was pretty sweet nonetheless. Plus, the birth of the Green Sun I think was pretty awesome.

E: Plus I totally called WV's station being used how it was.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

The Kids' Black Queen is dead. As is Snowman.

Well obviously, but it’s not like she was dead all her life.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

President Ark posted:

I would be unironically furious if this turned out to be the case, because it'd be the most predictable, cliched plot twist imaginable.

Some of us are just optimistic existentialists who want there to be a comprehensible reason as to why the entire human race is held in thrall to that giant psychic octopus the UN keeps in the Mariana Trench.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So to put it in culinary terms, Act 5 was the meat of the delicious HS sandwich. 4 was the artisan colby jack cheese, 3 was the varied condiments, 2 the ciabatta top, and 1 the weird garnish thing that most people have no idea what to do with.

... I may be a bit hungry.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

Well obviously, but it’s not like she was dead all her life.

No, but there is nothing to suggest she ever left the troll universe.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Calling it now: two weeks of "sweet bro + hella jeff: the game (but not actualy a game but a bullshit wepcomic pretedning to look like a game)". He can use the layout from the SNOP update.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

No, but there is nothing to suggest she ever left the troll universe.

Only put her up as a candidate to show there were other characters viable to be Betty Crocker. For all we know she could be a new character, I very highly doubt it, but nothings been confirmed as of yet.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pleasant Friend posted:

Could be, but 1) the horrorterrors seem content to help Lord English's plans along and 2) there's no indication that Lord English can get into the Earth universe in its current state (and Doc told us that at least one purpose of the Scratching mechanism is to prepare a universe for LE's arrival.)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

President Ark posted:

You might want to get ready to be at least a little furious, since I'm willing to put down cash money that the story's going to end with the kids living Happily Ever After on Earth. Not entirely sure how they make it to Earth, but it'll happen. John's a hero, and heroes save the Earth. It's simple science.

Also, why does everyone think there's going to be a reset sessions? That universe in its entirety died when Bec Noir killed Billious Slick in the troll session, didn't he? I know the Scratch was supposed to reset it, but in my mind that was like pressing the reset button on your game console while what Bec Noir did was more like jam a sword through the top of it.

Now, the new universe Jade made, that might be okay since I think it mentioned somewhere the genesis frog had to go into the volcano, but surely Scratched Earth is gone?

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Pleasant Friend posted:

I like the idea, but are the horrorterrors and LE even on opposite sides? It seems the information whispered to the Derse dreamers helped make the green sun as much as anything else. They whispered the genetic code that makes guardians like Doc Scratch, a servant of LE, and Bec whose power allowed Jack to destroy the kid universe. And Rose got some kind of peculiar answer when she asked if the gods were evil. I believe the horrorterrors also guided and empowered Rose into learning about the green sun.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dolash posted:

You might want to get ready to be at least a little furious, since I'm willing to put down cash money that the story's going to end with the kids living Happily Ever After on Earth. Not entirely sure how they make it to Earth, but it'll happen. John's a hero, and heroes save the Earth. It's simple science.

Ah, I think you misunderstood a little bit. He's suggesting that the scratched session being our Earth would be cliche.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Gabriel Pope posted:

2) there's no indication that Lord English can get into the Earth universe in its current state (and Doc told us that at least one purpose of the Scratching mechanism is to prepare a universe for LE's arrival.)

I don't think LE will appear just because it was scratched...

Doc Scratch posted:

Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned. Such is the symptom of a subtle glitch affecting certain sessions, an error designed to trigger an unfathomable cascade of misfortune throughout paradox space. This glitch is the calling card of the one I serve. It is the discreet, gentlemanly manner in which he reserves his place in a universe for later visitation.

It seems like LE is not destined for the kid's universe simply because they did seed themselves. He didn't leave his reservation which would be rather ungentlemanly. Although I guess the next session's players may not seed themselves...

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dr Strangepants posted:

I like the idea, but are the horrorterrors and LE even on opposite sides? It seems the information whispered to the Derse dreamers helped make the green sun as much as anything else. They whispered the genetic code that makes guardians like Doc Scratch, a servant of LE, and Bec whose power allowed Jack to destroy the kid universe. And Rose got some kind of peculiar answer when she asked if the gods were evil. I believe the horrorterrors also guided and empowered Rose into learning about the green sun.

Did they whisper the MEOW code to Rose? I don't think that was ever stated. Besides, on the troll side of things, it was 4 Prospit dreamers and one Derse dreamer who wrote the code that created Scratch.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Dolash posted:

Also, why does everyone think there's going to be a reset sessions? That universe in its entirety died when Bec Noir killed Billious Slick in the troll session, didn't he? I know the Scratch was supposed to reset it, but in my mind that was like pressing the reset button on your game console while what Bec Noir did was more like jam a sword through the top of it.

Now, the new universe Jade made, that might be okay since I think it mentioned somewhere the genesis frog had to go into the volcano, but surely Scratched Earth is gone?

What does "gone" mean? I mean, Jack destroying the frog doesn't make it so none of that universe has ever been. Otherwise the kids wouldn't be around. It's hard to get a solid grip on this circumstantial simultaneity business because it runs essentially on narrative convenience, and it's hard to figure out how a universe is a frog from the outside and also half of a bomb in a completely different place, but given all of that - why can't there be a different, reset timeline leading up to the universe's destruction? Maybe in the frog's other eye.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Could be, but 1) the horrorterrors seem content to help Lord English's plans along and 2) there's no indication that Lord English can get into the Earth universe in its current state (and Doc told us that at least one purpose of the Scratching mechanism is to prepare a universe for LE's arrival.)

Hmm, didn't think much about that, I just assumed Lord English was in every universe, I have the vaguest memories of reading something like that, but no way I'd ever be able to find it. But beyond running the ~ath code I don't think there are any solid things that have to happen for Lord English to enter a universe.

Dr Strangepants posted:

I honestly have little clue about the allegiances of the horrorterorrs, on one hand they're doing what doc scratch wants and becoming Feferi's lusus, which really fucks everything, but on the other hand they're making dreambubbles at the players request and tried to get Rose to destroy her code that powers up Noir.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Well... not quite. First 4 acts ran from April 2009 to June 2010, then act 5 was from then to yesterday. It's about two months longer, yes, but not double the length.

Still, act 5 comprises more than half of Homestuck. Parallel universes, resurrection, God Tier, the Trolls as major characters, Doc Scratch, the Midnight Crew/Felt actually playing a role in the story, frogs... so much poo poo that's practically central to Homestuck lore at this point did not exist before 6/12. The EOA is certainly worthy of such a monster of a story. Plus, maybe it was just me, but I got sort of a Dethklok music video vibe from the whole Dog Tier sequence of Jade collecting the planets. Maybe it was just the music combined with the pentagon (PENTAGRAM!?) of mini-planets, but it was pretty sweet nonetheless. Plus, the birth of the Green Sun I think was pretty awesome.

E: Plus I totally called WV's station being used how it was.

I meant words, in response to the post above me but someone posted before I got to.

KoB fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 27, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

Hmm, didn't think much about that, I just assumed Lord English was in every universe, I have the vaguest memories of reading something like that, but no way I'd ever be able to find it. But beyond running the ~ath code I don't think there are any solid things that have to happen for Lord English to enter a universe.

He doesn't enter a universe until its destruction. Apparently, the universe must also be adequately prepared for his entry as well, hence the necessity of Doc Scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dr Strangepants posted:

I don't think LE will appear just because it was scratched...

Doc Scratch posted:
Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned. Such is the symptom of a subtle glitch affecting certain sessions, an error designed to trigger an unfathomable cascade of misfortune throughout paradox space. This glitch is the calling card of the one I serve. It is the discreet, gentlemanly manner in which he reserves his place in a universe for later visitation.

It seems like LE is not destined for the kid's universe simply because they did seed themselves. He didn't leave his reservation which would be rather ungentlemanly. Although I guess the next session's players may not seed themselves...

Symptom though- not necessarily the glitch itself. If the glitch is something more along the lines of allowing for communication between the pre- and post-Scratch universes then it likely means:

a)A Scratch is assured to fulfil the timeloop
b)If the glitch is LE's calling card, and the glitch results in a Scratch, then LE will most likely be summoned into the post-Scratch universe
c)The post-Scratch universe's First Guardian will be more like Doc Scratch than Bec, in that they serve Lord English. Also fits with Scratch's line about "countless iterations of himself" or whatever it was.
d)It is very likely* that Jade's penpal 'J' is a post-Scratch entity, and by communicating and sending Liv Tyler across the gap repeatedly they've assured their own Scratch, as per (a)

*Not confirmed though