Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

He doesn't enter a universe until its destruction. Apparently, the universe must also be adequately prepared for his entry as well, hence the necessity of Doc Scratch.

I don't think Doc Scratch is a necessity for Lord English to enter a universe, it does say that Lord English ensures his own creation personally. But who knows, maybe Lord English wasn’t in the kids universe. It's certanly a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

King of Solomon posted:

He's suggesting that the scratched session being our Earth would be cliche.

I'd be amused if the president on this earth was Barack Obana.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the confirmation of the fact that Jade really did inherit all the powers (all of them) when she went Dogtier: she's got full Space abilities, full Sprite abilities, and full First Guardian abilities. She is literally the single most powerful character in the entire comic now. She could probably throw down with Scratch or Noir and win.

Which is why I don't think we'll be returning to her and John, in terms of direct narrative, for a while. She's so drat powerful that she's going to be hard to write as a direct character now. It would not surprise me at all if Acts 6 and 7 are told primarily from the perspective of the Scratched Kids, who are goin' about things normally and then WHAM THERE'S THIS LADY WITH DOG EARS AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE gently caress.

I also suspect we won't be seeing the kids directly manipulated again anyway, though. Remember: their universes are dead, and thus their game interfaces are all gone. You can't even see them in Trollian anymore. I have a real suspicion that the structure of the comic is going to change wildly from here on out.

I'm sort of sad that Hussie feels he has to explain so much, though. Are the majority of his readers really that dense? :( (I understood the Yellow Yard thing almost as soon as Jade went through the fourth wall, since I'd re-read that part of the comic in anticipation.)

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
According to OpenOffice, Homestuck is somewhere around 320,000 words long. That puts it about 2/3rds of the Lord of the Rings in length

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm sort of sad that Hussie feels he has to explain so much, though. Are the majority of his readers really that dense? :( (I understood the Yellow Yard thing almost as soon as Jade went through the fourth wall, since I'd re-read that part of the comic in anticipation.)

You have to remember that probably the majority of Homestuck readers don't reread it and don't discuss it in depth on the internet. The casual reader definitely misses a lot of things. For example, my mother reads Homestuck and she e-mailed me today saying that there were a lot of things she didn't understand from the flash. I'm linking her to Andrew's explanations and I think they'll help her and readers like her quite a bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the confirmation of the fact that Jade really did inherit all the powers (all of them) when she went Dogtier: she's got full Space abilities, full Sprite abilities, and full First Guardian abilities. She is literally the single most powerful character in the entire comic now. She could probably throw down with Scratch or Noir and win.

Which is why I don't think we'll be returning to her and John, in terms of direct narrative, for a while. She's so drat powerful that she's going to be hard to write as a direct character now. It would not surprise me at all if Acts 6 and 7 are told primarily from the perspective of the Scratched Kids, who are goin' about things normally and then WHAM THERE'S THIS LADY WITH DOG EARS AND WE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE gently caress.

After the adrenaline rush from her master plan wears off Jade will be too busy thinking about unfathomable snausages to do anything for the rest of the comic.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Oxxidation posted:

After the adrenaline rush from her master plan wears off Jade will be too busy thinking about unfathomable snausages to do anything for the rest of the comic.

Oh yeah. Speaking of which. If we do see her relatively early again and she starts going on about how hungry she suddenly is? I'm going to flip the gently caress out. Just puttin' that on the record, here.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't think Doc Scratch is a necessity for Lord English to enter a universe, it does say that Lord English ensures his own creation personally. But who knows, maybe Lord English wasn’t in the kids universe. It's certanly a possibility.

Well, English can't interact with a universe (directly, anyways) prior to his entry, and there are clearly things that need to be done, else he wouldn't need in-universe agents to prepare the universe for his arrival. It may not require Doc Scratch specifically, but I don't think English was ever in the Kids' universe prior to the Scratch. He almost definitely is in the post-Scratch universe.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

King of Solomon posted:

Well, English can't interact with a universe (directly, anyways) prior to his entry, and there are clearly things that need to be done, else he wouldn't need in-universe agents to prepare the universe for his arrival. It may not require Doc Scratch specifically, but I don't think English was ever in the Kids' universe prior to the Scratch. He almost definitely is in the post-Scratch universe.

Isn't that the whole point of the phrase "He's already here"?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

YggiDee posted:

Isn't that the whole point of the phrase "He's already here"?

Well, turns out He is Already Here mostly just referred to Bec Noir, but yeah.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

marsattacks posted:

I still think it's Hussie.

Hussie's author-insert explicitly told us it wasn't him.

YggiDee posted:

I've said it once, and I'll say it again; Big Cal.

I think this is a likely choice, but...

I'm a little weirded out by the strange Jade hints. Mostly because they don't make any sense. She's not a pimp, she's not a time master, she's not a He.

But...

- So, Lord English is "born" as the two universes are destroyed and the Green Sun is created. Who else was "created" at just about that moment? God-Tier Jade. She became a new entity with more power (God Tier + Sprite + First Guardian) than any other character we've seen, save perhaps Lord English.
- When Jadesprite talked, she used a green font and large lettering, just like Lord English.
- Jadesprite's creation is being watched by Gamzee/Cal at the same time that the Green Sun is being created. Circumstantially simultaneous, or whatever Doc Scratch called it?
- She's got that whole grow/shrink things power, which would help with the over-sized coat.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

SpaceDrake posted:

A lot of people guessed the yellow yard. But not everyone read every book in Seer: Descend. Also, different people catch different things, which is part of why Homestuck works so well as a web experience; by discussing it with other fans, you come closer to getting the full experience.

quote:

- When Jadesprite talked, she used a green font and large lettering, just like Lord English.

Closer to Doc Scratch actually, referencing their shared First Guardian powers.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

President Ark posted:

While you're waiting for an update, Andrew posted part 4 of the flash recap-explanation-thing on his blog.

"Pop-a-matic Vrillyhoo Hammer" :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Ahahaha, I just realized. John's trip through the fourth wall with Jade is the first time he's ever met her in person. Talk about a first impression.

"Hello John! Don't worry, I just teleported you across the universe. And I died but came back to life and also I am part dog. Now let's fly through a magic science dimension window while I juggle planets bark bark bark"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oxxidation posted:

Ahahaha, I just realized. John's trip through the fourth wall with Jade is the first time he's ever met her in person. Talk about a first impression.

"Hello John! Don't worry, I just teleported you across the universe. And I died but came back to life and also I am part dog. Now let's fly through a magic science dimension window while I juggle planets bark bark bark"

The best part about that, honestly, is that probably isn't even the weirdest thing she's done from his standpoint.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

King of Solomon posted:

The best part about that, honestly, is that probably isn't even the weirdest thing she's done from his standpoint.

To be fair, their whole extended family (of three other people) is kind of weird.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

Well. Second time.

The first time he saw her in person, she was dead. :(

A bit of dialogue during this would've been hilarious, though. I wonder if Jade is going to have trouble with barks now? :v:

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
Has John even met anyone besides Rose? I think that might be the only person he's ever seen

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, he briefly saw Mom and Dad on the battlefield, but Vriska woke him up from that. Do the ecto-shenanigans count?

Red2401
Aug 17, 2010
I was looking back through the end of act 4, and :aaaaa:

Jade's grandson posted:

John!

From what i heartell youve been through a bit of an adventure by the time youre reading this. Thats so great. I love adventure and i would bet my bottom boonbuck you do too. I think we are birds of a feather john. I am pretty eager to meet you. Oh yeah i should have mentioned we are going to meet some day. I hear you like movies is that right john? I love movies too. Have you ever seen weekend at bernies? So friggin hilarious. Its hard to talk to jade about movies because she doesnt really know about movies but im sure you know that. Boooring. Ha ha just kidding jade you know i love you and i think youre a blast.

Okay speaking of jade we spent quite a long time working on this present for you. It was a big team effort. Okay i had to do quite a lot of arm twisting to get her to go along with helping me make such an oddball present for you and so well in advance. But i had my arm sort of twisted myself to get this going in the first place. But then she came around to the idea because she can see the future! Pretty amazing if you ask me. Itll all be clear later. Gadzooks with all this arm twisting ive been getting a good workout. We should wrestle when we meet john. I love to wrestle but i dont get a chance to wrestle with anyone that much. Do you like to get into fisticuffs john? Scrums and what not? Me too.

Anyway you should listen to jade from here on out john because she sure seems to know whats best for you. Whatever your adventure throws at you im sure shell tell you you can handle it. She believes in you.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

The other best part is that John would just take it all in stride and think that those powers are cool.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I always got the feeling that Dave and John had met before the story began. They make several references to each other's appearance and the appearance of their rooms at the start of the comic, so unless they are going around snapping pics of themselves and uploading them to HomestuckSpace they must have met in real life before.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Oxxidation posted:

Good job he's got a pretty tremendous capacity to roll with stuff like this. After all he's been through today, this is probably the next logical step (Hope we get a chance to see them talk in person. Either in a Flash conversation or a pesterlog. Jade's part-sprite now, right? Enough grounds for a spritelog?)

Also I'm glad Andrew explained why Aradia's "quest crypt" was isolated while Rose and Dave's were next to each other, and why Aradia's was in Derse but Rose and Dave's were in Derse's moon. The latter thing in particular puzzled me - I kinda predicted that Rose and Dave would use the "quest crypts" to go godtier (about the only thing I did predict in this Flash), but it was nagging me how I seemed to remember Aradia going godtier on Derse rather than its moon. That's cleared up, now.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

John can't really met anyone so far, until now:

- Jade was dead the first time.
- Rose was possessed by the horrorterrors or whatever and couldn't talk.
- Somehow hasn't run into any of the eleven iterations (plus Davesprite and doomed Daves) of Dave that were running around.

Poor guy.

Speaking of meeting up now, I really wish, even though the joke is well and truely over with, we still a 'pose like a team' panel when the trolls reach the Green Sun. Because poo poo has actually gotten pretty real.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Red2401 posted:

I was looking back through the end of act 4, and :aaaaa:

Considering "J" sounds like what I imagine Grandpa would sound like, I'm convinced the roles of the kids and the guardians will be reversed in this new session (mirroring the scratched Alternia session), giving us young J. Harley and his Grandma Harley, as well as teen alcoholic Mom Lalonde. I want this to happen so much.

Talorat posted:

I always got the feeling that Dave and John had met before the story began. They make several references to each other's appearance and the appearance of their rooms at the start of the comic, so unless they are going around snapping pics of themselves and uploading them to HomestuckSpace they must have met in real life before.

I forget, do all the kids know each other through Dave (and his websites) or through Jade?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

"Whoa hey hang on a second, take the wheel for me." *sticks head out window*

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Talorat posted:

GameFAQs is the only option for social networking in Homestuck, and those kids know better.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I forget, do all the kids know each other through Dave (and his websites) or through Jade?

Technically Jade was the one who got everyone together, but it was John's birthday package to her that was sent back in time that made her find them in the first place.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Did anybody else notice this?

Andrew Hussie, About EOA5, part 3 posted:

Then, finally, as he viewed the aftermath of Bilious Slick’s destruction in Skaia’s water-sphere, and noticed the green sun appearing in the distance, he saw PM enter with WV’s body on the frog platform, the same way Jack arrived about 10 hours prior. After he left the desert, she went into the now-open station, and dragged WV’s body to safety, away from the bombs, but was faced with the universe’s imminent destruction overhead. She noticed WV had dropped the ring he’d been hiding all along, so she put it on and assumed all of Jack’s powers. Then, again probably due to enhanced canine tracking abilities, immediately knew where to follow Jack. She brought WV, likely with the hope that he may survive, as well as his firefly Serenity, and is now prepared for a duel.
(bolding mine)
WV isn't dead?! :aaa:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Nostalgamus posted:

(bolding mine)

Disembowelment seems to be a minor injury in MSPA-logic.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nostalgamus posted:

(bolding mine)

It was a gut wound, so no instant death organs were hit. So he has bleeding out slowly and painfully to look forward to.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

SirSamVimes posted:

It was a gut wound, so no instant death organs were hit. So he has bleeding out slowly and painfully to look forward to.

Theory crafting: PM somehow kills Jack, then gives the ring to a dying WV.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'd put his survival at unlikely but not impossible. Carapaces, on the whole, seem to be astoundingly sturdy. They aren't going to die of old age any time soon, and the exiles wandered the desert of Earth for 400 years. Slick didn't die from losing the arm and I imagine that sort of thing bleeds pretty enthusiastically.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
e;f,b

YggiDee posted:

I'd put his survival at unlikely but not impossible. Carapaces, on the whole, seem to be astoundingly sturdy. They aren't going to die of old age any time soon, and the exiles wandered the desert of Earth for 400 years. Slick didn't die from losing the arm and I imagine that sort of thing bleeds pretty enthusiastically.

I'm hoping WV is just more 'incapacitated', rather than outright dying/dead.

Lady Charlemagne
Apr 23, 2008

GOD I'M TIRED

Cyrai posted:

According to OpenOffice, Homestuck is somewhere around 320,000 words long. That puts it about 2/3rds of the Lord of the Rings in length

:aaa: this cannot possibly be right.... can it?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Lady Charlemagne posted:

:aaa: this cannot possibly be right.... can it?

It is. If you copy/paste all the story text from the search pages into a document and count it, you get something like 330k words. This includes the recaps, page titles (including "==>"s), dates and such, but doesn't include any text from the flashes; so it's not an exact count, but it's probably within ten thousand or so.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bobulus posted:

John can't really met anyone so far, until now:

- Jade was dead the first time.
- Rose was possessed by the horrorterrors or whatever and couldn't talk.
- Somehow hasn't run into any of the eleven iterations (plus Davesprite and doomed Daves) of Dave that were running around.

Poor guy.
That and the first time he met up with Rose, she was asleep and woke up too late to meet him.

While I certainly want to see the new set of Kids introduced, I also definitely want to keep following what the "main" Kids and Trolls are up to. There's a lot of personal and social interaction still up in the air with all of them, even if they are "overpowered" for this new session (New Game Plus?).

I guess ideally I'd want to see the introduction of the new characters interleaved with the continuing adventures and conversations of the old ones. That was something that frustrated me about Hivebent, spending so long away from the characters I'd got used to. In hindsight I see why Hivebent had to happen the way it did, but I'd hope that it wouldn't have to happen the same way this time.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh. I just realized that if John and Jade are going directly to the New Kid Universe, and the new universe does follow the presumed pattern of switching kids and guardians, but otherwise follows a roughly-similar timeline, then the "new" John and Jade will have died before the story started.

None of that messy "meeting yourself" nonsense.

^ I'd like to see the story switch entirely to "new game" mode, but have all these background gags and snippets that mean we know the old characters are still around, without the new characters realizing it. At least for a time.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 27, 2011

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

^ I'd like to see the story switch entirely to "new game" mode, but have all these background gags and snippets that mean we know the old characters are still around, without the new characters realizing it. At least for a time.
This would be great. The new kids all standing around trying to figure out if the "H3H3H3H3 K4RK4T 1S TH1S YOU" chalk drawing is supposed to mean anything gamewise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

SpaceDrake posted:

I also suspect we won't be seeing the kids directly manipulated again anyway, though. Remember: their universes are dead, and thus their game interfaces are all gone. You can't even see them in Trollian anymore. I have a real suspicion that the structure of the comic is going to change wildly from here on out.

This is exactly what I was saying earlier. Story-wise, everything seems to be going full-tilt into a new universe. Also, that note J sent? That is totally Grandpa. I mean, come on, fistifuffs?

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm not sure if they're dense so much as just not as actively following the comic. Some people have other things they need to do, or maybe they just aren't as in love with it as others?

That's not to say that some fans aren't incredibly dumb. I was so frustrated with people accusing Hussie of making his insert too important, or that he was going to. This whole yellow yard thing was the most elegant way of telling them to gently caress off, and I love Hussie for it. Keep on rocking, you magnificent bastard.

e: it just occurred to me that we're going to have to put up with Grandpa/Mom and Bro/Nanna shipping now.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Oct 27, 2011