Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Everything I read about the MLX is that it has an exceptionally stiff boot. If you're looking for flexibility in your skate you might want to look towards Graf or something. Most high quality skates (not that Graf aren't quality) are going to have very stiff boots.

That being said I considered them for a while and almost got them, so please post a detailed review on your thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Just a heads up to people considering Superfeet with new skates, which I love, that since they support your arches, your toes will pull back a bit and you can probably get away with a half size smaller skate than you had before.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

sellouts posted:

Everything I read about the MLX is that it has an exceptionally stiff boot. If you're looking for flexibility in your skate you might want to look towards Graf or something. Most high quality skates (not that Graf aren't quality) are going to have very stiff boots.

That being said I considered them for a while and almost got them, so please post a detailed review on your thoughts.

I have these huge calves and ankles. So wide that my shin pads' wraparound straps don't go all the way around, and I have to use tape. I thought for a while that they'd slim down once I started losing weight after playing, but when that happened my legs stayed the same size, and just got more toned up. Which is OK, because that's great for skating power.

The problem with my current skates (the Reeboks) is that I lack back to front flexibility because my ankles are so huge, and they just take up most of the wiggle room toward the top of the skate. Lean forward, get lacebite. Lean back ... well, you can't. My skating posture is sort of stiff, and I think it's mostly due to the skates. The MLX ones caught my eye because there's apparently additional padding in them to prevent lacebite, and the tendon guard is designed to bend backward.

The new skates should be delivered tomorrow morning ... I think I'm going to blow off off of work and hour or so early so I can get home, bake/mold them, get them sharpened, and then use them for my instructional league class tomorrow night. I'll post about how they are sometime afterwards.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The trainer I use at my local gym said that calves never really change size.. they don't tend to collect fat, so what you got is more or less what you're always going to have.

It's a shame that footwear isn't taken more seriously, because it's criminally difficult to find gear that fits and it is almost impossible to find someone with enough knowledge to have a decent discussion about it. I've always had problems with shoes, and it got even harder when it came time to buy ice skates or ski boots.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bytebark posted:

The problem with my current skates (the Reeboks) is that I lack back to front flexibility because my ankles are so huge, and they just take up most of the wiggle room toward the top of the skate. Lean forward, get lacebite. Lean back ... well, you can't. My skating posture is sort of stiff, and I think it's mostly due to the skates. The MLX ones caught my eye because there's apparently additional padding in them to prevent lacebite, and the tendon guard is designed to bend backward.

The great thing is that with the MLXs if you have any sort of problems they're going to be willing to work with you to get the fit right. It seems like you can email them directly if you have any problems.

I'm sure you know but once they're sharpened you can't return them. So if you're going to bake them and make sure they have the wiggle room, do that before you sharpen them. They ain't cheap

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Yeah. I emailed them maybe a month ago, because they were out of stock of what I *thought* was my correct size (11). Very quickly, they responded that they were having issues with the supplier of their own holders, but could put a Bauer holder + steel on there, except if that's on there you can't adjust the angle of the blade like you can with an actual MLX holder. That's one thing I want so I held off.

Fast forward to last Sunday, when I measured my feet again on a whim, and discovered I'm a size 10 - which they have in stock. So I don't need a custom skate, but they can do it if need be. Their factory is in Winnipeg so its not like they have to wire all kinds of dimensional information overseas.

I play with an assistant manager for Gunzo's here in Chicago who's worked at a few of their busier locations and he told me that of all the skates he's sharpened, he only came across one pair of MLXs. Kind of surprising because there are a ton of people in the area who play. I'll bake & mold the skates tomorrow before I leave and if he's working, have him sharpen them at the pro-shop at the rink. Will take some photos for SAS hockey goons.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Went to 6 AM pickup this morning, always nice to start the day with a (friendly and deserved) chewing out from a bunch of old guys about how lovely I am. I'm gonna be exhausted all day at work.

Hockey's awesome.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ugh...gently caress 6am hockey. It always seems to be this weird clique of septuagenarians (all lawyers) who mostly suck at hockey, but are also best buds with this one guy who used to play semi-pro in Slovenia or something. You're trying to remember what day it is, with a squirt bottle full of espresso. Meanwhile all the Grumpy Old Men are playing like future hall-of-famers (comparatively speaking) because they've all been up and doing crosswords, or sudoku, or those bullshit cryptoquips since 4am.

gently caress you cryptoquips. You're the red-headed stepchild of the puzzle page. No one likes you.

edit:

VVV something something...superfeet...something something...

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 28, 2011

gce
Oct 11, 2004
any advice on really painful arches with a new pair of skates? they're my first pair in more than 10 years of being off the ice so i'm not sure if my feet are just weak and i'll get used to it. after about 10 minutes of skating, my arches get really tight and very uncomfortable. what are my options? bake the skates? sack up?

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

gce posted:

any advice on really painful arches with a new pair of skates? they're my first pair in more than 10 years of being off the ice so i'm not sure if my feet are just weak and i'll get used to it. after about 10 minutes of skating, my arches get really tight and very uncomfortable. what are my options? bake the skates? sack up?

http://www.superfeet.com/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Superfeet might actually make you hurt more for a few skates, as your arch adjusts. But once you get over the hump, they feel great.

Also consider getting superfeet for your normal shoes.. keeps your arch from regressing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In other news, are there any general tips for defending the net with no goalie?

Scrimmage last night, 5 on 5, empty bench so everyone was staying out. We chose to set up a rotation where one guy could stay in the defensive zone to catch his breath, which worked reasonably well.

I was able to get in front of a few pucks (including one right in the junk, glad I never forget the cup) but I wasn't sure if it was better for me to skate out and challenge, or chill out in the crease as if I was a goalie. I had some success with either approach.. and some total failures too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

In other news, are there any general tips for defending the net with no goalie?

Scrimmage last night, 5 on 5, empty bench so everyone was staying out. We chose to set up a rotation where one guy could stay in the defensive zone to catch his breath, which worked reasonably well.

I was able to get in front of a few pucks (including one right in the junk, glad I never forget the cup) but I wasn't sure if it was better for me to skate out and challenge, or chill out in the crease as if I was a goalie. I had some success with either approach.. and some total failures too.

When we play with no goalies we always play that it doesn't count (I mean, it doesn't count anyway but...) unless you put it off the post or crossbar so nobody's bombing shots from the blue line and you can pretty much defend almost normally.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
We used shooting trainers but just banking shots off the post/crossbar is a lot cheaper and sounds much more fun. Plus you don't have to frustratingly try to retrieve the puck from behind it after someone scores :downs:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

gently caress those plastic blue goal trainers. I hate those goddamn things. He's way better than our real goalie.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We do the "posts only" too, I am more curious if there's any benefit to pretending I'm a goalie. Mostly because I had no loving energy after skating for 90 minutes, and slowing down to get some gas back felt really good.. plus I was able to make some good plays on a few attempts.

On the other hand, I don't want to be a total plug out there. No one said anything but I started wondering if I was annoying folks by lazing about.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Another thing you can do is turn the net around, and position it so the open end is facing the boards about 8" - 12" from them. Goals are anything that winds up in the net, either after getting stuffed or by banking it off the boards. Kinda like this better than "playing post" for some unknown reason.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

We do the "posts only" too, I am more curious if there's any benefit to pretending I'm a goalie.

I dunno, seems like a good way to eventually catch a shot somewhere painful.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Before our friend decided to play goalie, we would do a posts game, except we would have to hit all 3 (or 4 if the net had a middle backpost) posts to win. Getting that drat crossbar was always the worst.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eh, everyone out there is 45 years old and has no velocity despite lugging 150 dollar sticks. I bought thick pads and have eaten several shots even with a goalie around and been fine. Getting steamrolled by a dude weighing 275 with his head down is my biggest risk.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
Where can I buy this?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

poser posted:

Where can I buy this?

Different but similar http://www.usaskates.com/hockeygear/itechrbeiiihalfcage.html

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

poser posted:

Where can I buy this?

What in the hell?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

Where can I buy this?

"All the dorkiness of a cage, but with half the protection!"TM

I took a slapshot right in the face today at Lunch League. I am so very, very glad I wear a cage. This one probably would have knocked out a couple teeth at the very least.

Whatever, it counts as a blocked shot :smug:

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

poser posted:

Where can I buy this?

Get a cage and cut it. Better if you already own one. It gives better visibility than a visor and does not collect fog/ice spray. They own :colbert:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

always nice to start the day with a (friendly and deserved) chewing out from a bunch of old guys about how lovely I am.

Why do you deserved to be chewed out for not being good? I don't get it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

Why do you deserved to be chewed out for not being good? I don't get it.

Because I know better and could have been playing better if I had been doing the things they pointed out to me. Chewing out is probably a bad way to put it, maybe "gruff reminders".

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
For the Chicago folks, I established that Johnny's Ice House (East) has solid lunch hour pickup.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Green Submarine posted:

For the Chicago folks, I established that Johnny's Ice House (East) has solid lunch hour pickup.

awesome, now if only I could take a 2 hour lunch. (Like that can ever happen)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't Johnny's the place that has ridiculous waiting lists to get into any of their league games?

Fox Valley if you're way out east usually has decent rat hockey at lunch.. sometimes it's just a few guys but other times they get some 5 on 5 going. Usually it's somewhere in between.

Sometimes you'll see guys from the Hitmen practicing too, and feel totally humbled by their skill.

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...

xzzy posted:

Isn't Johnny's the place that has ridiculous waiting lists to get into any of their league games?

Dunno, but I wouldn't be surprised given the location. Rat hockey had about five to a bench.

Verman posted:

What, did you think they gave you those sick days in case you actually got sick?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Verman posted:

Hey boss, I need to take a few hours to meet a plumber/electrician/cable guy/etc. at my house.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
I play in a league at Johnny's. But, it's the low-end, D3-equivalent Federal League (SLAP SHOT LOL) which was formed back in January more or less as a "next step" transition for people who are in Johnnys' extremely popular Hockey 101/102 instructional programs. There is a waiting list to get into the Federal League, and there are only six teams and due to ice time constraints that number probably won't be increasing.

I've been in the league since it started up so I don't know what the newbies are really getting into when they get on the waiting list, but generally they'll get put on a team as a sub for the first season (each is allowed 3), and then as roster spots open up for the next season - not necessarily on the same team, but in the league - they're allowed to take them. The subs pay something like $20 per game they play in, and if you're full time it varies by the team (some have sponsors, others don't). Goalies are free.

On the subject of the lunch rats at Johnny's East: Many of the players are corporate guys who make money hand over fist and incidentally don't have to be at work every day, and oh yeah, are pretty good at hockey. The lunch there always sells out and there are always at least two goalies.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

WouldDesk posted:

Get a cage and cut it. Better if you already own one. It gives better visibility than a visor and does not collect fog/ice spray. They own :colbert:

Except they are heavier and will make your helmet lean forwards all the time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D C posted:

Except they are heavier and will make your helmet lean forwards all the time.

Which would be an easy fix if hockey helmet straps weren't 100% worthless.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Woke up today and saw the ground was covered in snow. Thought "ok its winter now." So I drove out and bought me some skates.

I picked out the Vapor X 4.0s. Good Lord, I think the running shoes I was wearing when I walked in weigh more than these skates do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Nice pick, get em sharpened and get skating

Thufir
May 19, 2004

First goal and first win of the season :toot:

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Apparently I missed a game last night that was not in the schedule until a day or two ago :argh: Need to get myself on the emergency call list cause only 8 dudes showed up, so I'm not the only one who did not know about it.

Still have a game tonight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
I possibly gave my self a concussion but I just lost my job and have no insurance. What do I do:smith: