Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Das Volk posted:

Where can I find MIUI for the Inspire 4g? I see a lot of Desire ROMs but as I understand it you have some differences between them.

I downloaded it to try out for a few hours from the "inspire 4g - android development" forum on xda, they have lots of roms kernels and radios there.

Only thing I really liked about miui was the long-press home on lockscreen for flashlight, that was awesome but I'm kinda CM 4 lyfe.

edit: and if I remember right miui is the one (I've only curiosity-flashed miui and virtuous) that its one zip for like 5 different htc phones, inspire, dhd, mt4g and some others. It runs a script as you flash to setup for the different phones.

edit again: miui and virtuous both identified the phone to the market as "inspire 4g" where the stock rom, cm, and I think all others identify as "desire hd" this caused some market fuckery for me after I flashed back to cm.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Just had my first experience with my Nexus S 4G not waking up while running CyanogenMod 7. I installed the ROM about 2 days ago, so I'm not particularly happy about this happening already.

I tried searching on XDA who has been tracking and working on this bug so I can help out...but I couldn't find who (if anyone) was working on it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Just had my first experience with my Nexus S 4G not waking up while running CyanogenMod 7. I installed the ROM about 2 days ago, so I'm not particularly happy about this happening already.

I tried searching on XDA who has been tracking and working on this bug so I can help out...but I couldn't find who (if anyone) was working on it.
KalimochoAZ is the CM member working on the Crespo. Are you on the nightlies (hella broken) or 7.1 Stable or 7.1.0.1 Stable? If you're on either stable version, you can report your issue here or if you're on the nighlies you can report the issue here.

It makes no difference as far as I can tell, it's a very persistant bug.

That said, since the fiancee went to 7.1 Stable, she's only had one battery pull (on the day she went to it) whereas before it was once or twice a week. Lots of radio dumps (so you know it's crashing) but only the one battery pull. Given the poo poo state of the nightlies at the moment and the fact that it's so much better than it was she's happy to just wait it out until ICS gets released.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm still having trouble finding a ROM that plays nice with my EVO 4G with regards to skype and gtalk video chat. Do I need to flash my kernel or something to make this work? I'm currently running a recent nightly of CM7 but neither skype nor gapps talk work for my camera.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I just realized a cool feature of CM7 on my Vibrant: Since my phone doesn't have a LED notification, now the capacitive buttons glow whenever I have a missed call, unread email or SMS.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Ozmodiar posted:

With CM on my Thunderbolt I, 100% of the time, have a false screen-on after I reset my device and it's plugged in. The backlight is on, the buttons are lit but there is no picture until I press the power button twice (once to turn it off, once to turn it back on). It's really annoying.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

LastInLine posted:

KalimochoAZ is the CM member working on the Crespo. Are you on the nightlies (hella broken) or 7.1 Stable or 7.1.0.1 Stable? If you're on either stable version, you can report your issue here or if you're on the nighlies you can report the issue here.

It makes no difference as far as I can tell, it's a very persistant bug.

That said, since the fiancee went to 7.1 Stable, she's only had one battery pull (on the day she went to it) whereas before it was once or twice a week. Lots of radio dumps (so you know it's crashing) but only the one battery pull. Given the poo poo state of the nightlies at the moment and the fact that it's so much better than it was she's happy to just wait it out until ICS gets released.

FWIW, I'm on CM7.1.0.1 Stable. Thanks for the links.

What, exactly, do you mean "radio dumps"? I had a situation today where my phone acted like it froze as soon as I turned the screen on (it lit up, but wouldn't register any of my touches)...then it turned back off, and I was able to turn it on and things seemed to be normal. Then, about 30 seconds later, the radio just stopped sending or receiving data. I couldn't even get into the "Wireless & Networks" settings without causing it to Force Close. I tried the Airplane Mode Toggle I have in the CM7 Notification Power Widget, but even it wouldn't turn off the radio. A reboot worked just fine.

I'm in the same boat she is...once ICS gets released, I'll just run a rooted stock ICS build. Though I am excited to see what else the CM guys can put on top of it.

EDIT: Shouldn't I use this link since I have a NS4G on Sprint instead of the normal NS?

b0nes posted:

I just realized a cool feature of CM7 on my Vibrant: Since my phone doesn't have a LED notification, now the capacitive buttons glow whenever I have a missed call, unread email or SMS.

One of my favorite features on my Nexus S. I was really afraid I was going to miss my notification LED from my EVO 4G, but this has helped immensely.

nickhimself posted:

With CM on my Thunderbolt I, 100% of the time, have a false screen-on after I reset my device and it's plugged in. The backlight is on, the buttons are lit but there is no picture until I press the power button twice (once to turn it off, once to turn it back on). It's really annoying.

I didn't have it happen 100% of the time...but it was about 30% of the time on the CM7 nightlies and about 15% of the time on CM7.1.0.1 Stable on my EVO 4G. I really hope they fix this bug at some point...though it seems like development on CM7 has pretty much ground to a stop while everyone waits on ICS.

Luckily my Nexus S 4G doesn't have a backlight, so I don't have to worry about it anymore :smug:

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 26, 2011

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

b0nes posted:

Is this on by default? I haven't noticed it on my Nexus S.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactrot posted:

Is this on by default? I haven't noticed it on my Nexus S.

They just added it in the stable releases, it's called BLN. As far as I know to get it to work you need to download BLN Control from the market. With the pro version you can set the keys to flash and add delays and stuff.

But I'm running the older RC CM7.1 (which does not have BLN) and a custom kernel to enable it because flashing to 7.1 stable broke my home key for some reason and :effort:.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

LastInLine posted:

Crosspost from the Show Off Your Desktop thread: For anyone running CM7 and wanting the ICS experience now, check out this theme available on the Market (icon packs are included at the link on xda.

It's come a long way in the last week and is definitely fit for daily use now.

I tried this the other night and while it looked cool, It seemed to be missing some of the blue colored icons in the notification area (phone vibrate, location). Any info on if this got fixed?

the WL theme though is boss...

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

eightysixed posted:

I'm running MIUI and loving it. I just recently flashed my girlfriends phone to CM7.1 for her to try something new, and non-Sense.

She likes it, but it complaining that, quite often, the screen won't turn on when she tries to wake the phone (Evo 4G). Anyone else experiencing a similar problem to this on CM7.1?

You can go and change the min CPU frequency to 384 MHz. I think what happens is that the CPU is clocked too slow when the screen is off, and the screen can't turn on in time when you hit the power button to turn it on.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

I tried this the other night and while it looked cool, It seemed to be missing some of the blue colored icons in the notification area (phone vibrate, location). Any info on if this got fixed?

the WL theme though is boss...

Both the ICS CM7 Theme, and the LauncherPro themes have been moved to the market now, and will get the updates.. that is if you installed via apk.

edit.. durr, didn't read far enough.
Go into CM Settings>Interface>Notification power widget>Indicator color>#ff34b4e3

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Sounds like CM is pretty buggy, but how's the radio and ROM relationship? The call drops are driving me nuts, I can deal with a few bugs though.

Edit: installed it and it looks good so far... totally different from the HTC stuff. Does anyone know if there's a radio I "should" be using with this?

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 27, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

I'm selling my EVO 4G to a friend of mine, so I'm flashing it back to a rooted stock ROM so that Sprint can activate it for him without any problems.

I found this thread on XDA which says it's current as of an update that was pushed yesterday. I just wanted to check and make sure this was actually legit -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1319881

Thanks.

EDIT: loving hell. People weren't kidding about CM7 being borked on the Nexus S. Within the last 48 hours I've now had the following issues:

1.Screen wouldn't turn on and holding the power button wouldn't let me shut down at all. Required a battery pull

2. Phone simply wouldn't send/receive calls or data - Couldn't get into Wireless & Network settings (forced closed), Couldn't use the Notification Power Widget to toggle Airplane Mode. Was able to hold power and reboot.

3. Picked up my phone to send a text only to find a grayscale CM7 boot screen looping. Had to do a battery pull on this one too.

I'm REALLY goddamn close to just going back to Stock for a few weeks and waiting out ICS.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 27, 2011

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

lowcrabdiet posted:

You can go and change the min CPU frequency to 384 MHz. I think what happens is that the CPU is clocked too slow when the screen is off, and the screen can't turn on in time when you hit the power button to turn it on.

This is an issue with the way setcpu deals with clock speed profiles. The virtuousrom team built an entirely new overclocking daemon to deal with it, however it only functions on sense ui roms.

A good safe bet is to only clock down to 800mhz screenoff, tops. I've found that even that is kinda laggy with the latest version of Cyanogen stable. It really does require 1ghz (on the g2) screenoff profile, but that isn't a huge deal.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

I'm selling my EVO 4G to a friend of mine, so I'm flashing it back to a rooted stock ROM so that Sprint can activate it for him without any problems.

I found this thread on XDA which says it's current as of an update that was pushed yesterday. I just wanted to check and make sure this was actually legit -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1319881

Thanks.

EDIT: loving hell. People weren't kidding about CM7 being borked on the Nexus S. Within the last 48 hours I've now had the following issues:

1.Screen wouldn't turn on and holding the power button wouldn't let me shut down at all. Required a battery pull

2. Phone simply wouldn't send/receive calls or data - Couldn't get into Wireless & Network settings (forced closed), Couldn't use the Notification Power Widget to toggle Airplane Mode. Was able to hold power and reboot.

3. Picked up my phone to send a text only to find a grayscale CM7 boot screen looping. Had to do a battery pull on this one too.

I'm REALLY goddamn close to just going back to Stock for a few weeks and waiting out ICS.
I've never heard of #2 but that might be a CMDA thing but yeah, you're going to get a lot of #1 and #3.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If thats the case is it really worth it?

I've never had any kind of issue on standard and the only CM things I miss are the notification shade power toggle and swipe-away notifications

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

If thats the case is it really worth it?

I've never had any kind of issue on standard and the only CM things I miss are the notification shade power toggle and swipe-away notifications
Not really. I'd miss the Notification Power Widget, statusbar tweaks, and the ability to disable the lockscreen but that'd be about it. Maybe if you like using the inbuilt hotspot or tethering it'd be worth putting up with. The only reason I haven't reverted hers to stock is because I'm waiting for ICS.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Das Volk posted:

Sounds like CM is pretty buggy, but how's the radio and ROM relationship? The call drops are driving me nuts, I can deal with a few bugs though.

Edit: installed it and it looks good so far... totally different from the HTC stuff. Does anyone know if there's a radio I "should" be using with this?

You're using an inspire right? I don't think there's any bugs on the new 7.1 stable. Everything works perfect, we're the lucky ones.

It does have to turn on BT to use the FM radio I don't understand that but it's always been like that.

And you have to use flashplayer 10.2 if you want all flash websites to work, a lot don't with 11.0 but I think that's on all CM roms.

I'm using the radio that a mid-sept ver of the ace hack kit installed.
26.10.04.03_M I have no idea if this is correct but I haven't had any radio related problems since 7.1 stable hit (a few weird things on 7.1 rc1 though.). Only dropped calls I've ever had is at a youth football field where I'm like 100-500 feet from a cell tower, maybe someone else's tower maybe mine, dunno but it always switches from 3G to H+ in the notify bar sitting there too. Go there twice a week and it always causes problems.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

It does have to turn on BT to use the FM radio I don't understand that but it's always been like that.
The FM radio is in the Bluetooth stack. As far as I know, it's on the same chip.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

dissss and LastInLine posted:

Stuff about CyanogenMod 7 on the Nexus S 4G

Nope. Not worth it anymore. Just had another sleep of death this morning, so I flashed back to stock.

I'll miss the better battery life, call in background while the screen is on, battery percentage in the notification bar, hold back to kill apps, notification power widget, and other little things...but the phone is too unstable and unusable with CM7.

I hear that Peter Alfonso's kernel works well with it, and alleviates these problems for the most part...so I might try messing with that when I get home.

I've never flashed just a kernel before..what do I do? Just flash it in ClockworkMod? Do I have to use a fresh install to flash the kernel?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Nope, just flash the zip in recovery, reboot, done.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ozmodiar posted:

Nope. Not worth it anymore. Just had another sleep of death this morning, so I flashed back to stock.

I'll miss the better battery life, call in background while the screen is on, battery percentage in the notification bar, hold back to kill apps, notification power widget, and other little things...but the phone is too unstable and unusable with CM7.

I hear that Peter Alfonso's kernel works well with it, and alleviates these problems for the most part...so I might try messing with that when I get home.

I've never flashed just a kernel before..what do I do? Just flash it in ClockworkMod? Do I have to use a fresh install to flash the kernel?
If it works, please report back. She's been exceptionally stable on 7.1 but I'd like to stay informed.

What weird is that hers was never as flaky as yours. Once a week, sure, but you're getting G2x performance out of it (ignoring the fact that you do have a stable ROM you can go to).

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Ozmodiar posted:

hold back to kill apps

How's this work? Does it have to be enabled somewhere? Not doing anything for me. I see settings for long press home and menu in cm settings but not back.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

How's this work? Does it have to be enabled somewhere? Not doing anything for me. I see settings for long press home and menu in cm settings but not back.
Settings > Applications > Development, Stop app via longpress

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

LastInLine posted:

If it works, please report back. She's been exceptionally stable on 7.1 but I'd like to stay informed.

What weird is that hers was never as flaky as yours. Once a week, sure, but you're getting G2x performance out of it (ignoring the fact that you do have a stable ROM you can go to).

Will do.

Wagonburner posted:

E:F;B. See LastInLine's post above.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm using the most recent stable release of CM7 on my Dinc2 and it's amazing. It's doubled my battery life easily and it runs like butter. I don't miss HTCs poo poo at all.

With that said, how does one go about changing the boot animation? The CM skatedroid annoys me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Living Vicariously posted:

I'm using the most recent stable release of CM7 on my Dinc2 and it's amazing. It's doubled my battery life easily and it runs like butter. I don't miss HTCs poo poo at all.

With that said, how does one go about changing the boot animation? The CM skatedroid annoys me.

ROM Toolbox should be able to do this for you. It's handy for a lot of things.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ozmodiar posted:

I've never had those sorts of problems on my Nexus S with the CM7.1 RC, but I'm also using a custom kernel so maybe that will help you guys it's acting badly for? It's this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936219

I have to pull the battery maybe once a week when the phone will freeze doing something.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
One think about BLN, is that on some phones the kernel that supports it (specifically it happens on the ATT SGSG2) the BLN kernel absolutely murders your battery.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Wagonburner posted:

You're using an inspire right? I don't think there's any bugs on the new 7.1 stable. Everything works perfect, we're the lucky ones.

And you have to use flashplayer 10.2 if you want all flash websites to work, a lot don't with 11.0 but I think that's on all CM roms.

I'm using the radio that a mid-sept ver of the ace hack kit installed.
26.10.04.03_M I have no idea if this is correct but I haven't had any radio related problems since 7.1 stable hit (a few weird things on 7.1 rc1 though.). Only dropped calls I've ever had is at a youth football field where I'm like 100-500 feet from a cell tower, maybe someone else's tower maybe mine, dunno but it always switches from 3G to H+ in the notify bar sitting there too. Go there twice a week and it always causes problems.

I was having that problem a lot too with 3G/H switcheroo and it stopped happening when I got on CM7. I also changed my radio file to 12.54.60.25U_26.09.04.11_M2 this morning after a call drop. What's the relationship between the RIL and the radio files themselves? Some of the ROMs have them, some don't..?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

IRQ posted:

I've never had those sorts of problems on my Nexus S with the CM7.1 RC, but I'm also using a custom kernel so maybe that will help you guys it's acting badly for? It's this one: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=936219

I have to pull the battery maybe once a week when the phone will freeze doing something.

Maybe I'll try this one instead. I RARELY had any problems with CM7 on my EVO 4G, and Netarchy did those kernels.

I was going to try Peter Alfonso's at the recommendation of Amon_RA...but he said he was running it on a Stock ROM.

http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/08/download-nexus-s-263514-kernel.html

Pulling the batter once a week I can handle. 3 times in 4 days is unacceptable.

EDIT: Where do I find the stock CM7 kernel if I want/need to flash back to that?

EDIT 2: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I found this instruction on the XDA thread: "*It is generally a good idea to wipe Cache and Dalvik-Cache when flashing a new kernel build to avoid certain problems usually related to Dalvik-Cache*" ...so, since Netarchy recommends it, I'll do it.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 27, 2011

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ozmodiar posted:

Maybe I'll try this one instead. I RARELY had any problems with CM7 on my EVO 4G, and Netarchy did those kernels.

I was going to try Peter Alfonso's at the recommendation of Amon_RA...but he said he was running it on a Stock ROM.

http://www.peteralfonso.com/2011/08/download-nexus-s-263514-kernel.html

Pulling the batter once a week I can handle. 3 times in 4 days is unacceptable.

chupacabraTERROR said above that I just flash the "kernel, reboot, done" ...but Amon_RA was recommending that I wipe dalvik-cache after I flash a new kernel.

Which is the correct method? I'm getting ready to try this out now.

I tend to wipe dalvik cache and cache when I flash kernels, roms, or whatever, but I am not sure what difference it makes. I don't think it can hurt anything to wipe dalvik cache, but I'd like to hear someone who has some idea what they're talking about, too.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Ciabatta posted:

I tend to wipe dalvik cache and cache when I flash kernels, roms, or whatever, but I am not sure what difference it makes. I don't think it can hurt anything to wipe dalvik cache, but I'd like to hear someone who has some idea what they're talking about, too.

IIRC, dalvik-cache is a program cache area for the program dalvik - a java-based virtual machine that is the basis for running apps (the ones that have the .apk extension). Essentially, the dalvik-cache is the result of dalvik doing an optimization of the app being executed, similar to the prefetch files in Windows.

The other cache mentioned above is used by the Android OS at runtime to write temporary files for specific reasons. It's recommended that this is wiped as well when you flash new ROMs/kernels so that these don't reuse cached data.

Wiping both caches before flashing allows any new ROM or kernel to be installed in a "cleaner" environment.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Where's dalvik stored? /data or /cache or somewhere else? sense roms or something do it different than aosp? or am I thinking of something else?

If you're wiping data and cache anyway when flashing something do you need to click the wipe dalvik cache in cwm?

Since it's kind of related to flashing roms: battery stats? Where is this actually stored? I understand the need to charge to 100% and 0ma input, then clear them after flashing something brand new, winmo had something kind of similar I think, but if you're flashing a nandroid backup you did days ago, it should have good battery stats inside right? no need to be 100% charged or clear them? or should you?

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

anakha posted:

IIRC, dalvik-cache is a program cache area for the program dalvik - a java-based virtual machine that is the basis for running apps (the ones that have the .apk extension). Essentially, the dalvik-cache is the result of dalvik doing an optimization of the app being executed, similar to the prefetch files in Windows.

The other cache mentioned above is used by the Android OS at runtime to write temporary files for specific reasons. It's recommended that this is wiped as well when you flash new ROMs/kernels so that these don't reuse cached data.

Wiping both caches before flashing allows any new ROM or kernel to be installed in a "cleaner" environment.

Thanks for the explanation.

Wagonburner posted:

Since it's kind of related to flashing roms: battery stats? Where is this actually stored? I understand the need to charge to 100% and 0ma input, then clear them after flashing something brand new, winmo had something kind of similar I think, but if you're flashing a nandroid backup you did days ago, it should have good battery stats inside right? no need to be 100% charged or clear them? or should you?

I've never wiped battery stats. Ever. On any device...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Wagonburner posted:

Where's dalvik stored? /data or /cache or somewhere else? sense roms or something do it different than aosp? or am I thinking of something else?

If you're wiping data and cache anyway when flashing something do you need to click the wipe dalvik cache in cwm?

Usually, dalvik-cache is stored in /data/dalvik-cache, but some ROMs store it in /cache/dalvik-cache/.

Yes, you still need to explicitly wipe dalvik-cache, as just wiping data or cache does not remove the dalvik-cache itself.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ozmodiar posted:

I've never wiped battery stats. Ever. On any device...

3 years and 4 devices later neither have I.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

3 years and 4 devices later neither have I.

Almost 3 years for me, and 4 devices as well.

I'm selling my old EVO to a friend. I have Fresh EVO installed on it so that I can use the dial-codes from Sprint to set it up on their account. How do I go about fully-removing all of my information from the phone prior to giving it to my friend? I'm not sure what dial codes to use...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Almost 3 years for me, and 4 devices as well.

I'm selling my old EVO to a friend. I have Fresh EVO installed on it so that I can use the dial-codes from Sprint to set it up on their account. How do I go about fully-removing all of my information from the phone prior to giving it to my friend? I'm not sure what dial codes to use...

Just go into recovery and do a full wipe. Your phone number and other provisioning info will be overwritten when they activate with their own info.