Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Grand Fromage posted:

Can someone direct me to the real no-knead bread recipe? I used this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html which is evidently bullshit because I just got to the "take out and fold a couple times" step, and I had to laugh because the dough was literally a liquid and thus not amenable to folding. I tried to salvage it but gently caress knows. Help!

There's also an amazing "use just enough flour to keep dough from sticking" line. This poo poo is basically glue, I've never seen such a mess from bread dough.

Folding (rather than kneading) actually works with very wet doughs. Check out this video. You probably don't need to fold at as much as this person in the video does - each fold strengthens the dough quite a bit. Fold it a few times, then let it rest. After five or ten minutes, it should be noticeably firmer.

Also, make sure to give the flour time to hydrate. After you mix everything together, before folding the dough, walk away for fifteen minutes - that alone will make the dough stronger and easier to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

wafflesnsegways posted:

Folding (rather than kneading) actually works with very wet doughs. Check out this video. You probably don't need to fold at as much as this person in the video does - each fold strengthens the dough quite a bit. Fold it a few times, then let it rest. After five or ten minutes, it should be noticeably firmer.

Also, make sure to give the flour time to hydrate. After you mix everything together, before folding the dough, walk away for fifteen minutes - that alone will make the dough stronger and easier to work with.

That dough's a lot less liquid than mine was. And it sat about 18 hours as per the recipe before I attempted to fold anything.

Here's how it came out:

Can a bread expert see what went wrong here? The inside is kind of crumbly and kind of chewy, not totally hosed but not what I'd expect, and there aren't any air holes so I guess the gluten never formed right. I just followed the no-knead recipe as written. Mix, sit 18 hours, fold (added some flour here because it was liquid glue and impossible to work with), rest another two hours, bake. I'm so frustrated, I've been trying to make good bread for years and now that I'm in Korea I'm extra motivated because the bread here sucks rear end. This is not an auspicious beginning though. It's not inedible but it's not good.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 26, 2011

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

EVG posted:

The cooks illustrated method is easy and delicious. It calls for bone-in thighs but I've used boneless thighs and breasts both with good results.

The sauce comes out really tasty, just be sure to watch it at the end so that it doesn't burn, which is very sad. I've also used the sauce on pan-fried tilapia filets and it's equally delicious. Serve with rice and some sautéed asparagus for a great meal.

It took me a day or two to find the time to make this, but it was *amazing*. I kept it to a simple chicken and rice dish, but next time I'll be adding some stir-fry veggies. Even my picker eater fiance really liked it!

Thanks again for your help! I think I'll have to put that cook book on my christmas list.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2011

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

That dough's a lot less liquid than mine was. And it sat about 18 hours as per the recipe before I attempted to fold anything.

Here's how it came out:

Can a bread expert see what went wrong here? The inside is kind of crumbly and kind of chewy, not totally hosed but not what I'd expect, and there aren't any air holes so I guess the gluten never formed right. I just followed the no-knead recipe as written. Mix, sit 18 hours, fold (added some flour here because it was liquid glue and impossible to work with), rest another two hours, bake. I'm so frustrated, I've been trying to make good bread for years and now that I'm in Korea I'm extra motivated because the bread here sucks rear end. This is not an auspicious beginning though. It's not inedible but it's not good.

Yeast might be dead.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Here's how it came out:

Can a bread expert see what went wrong here?

Yeah, there's not enough gluten because you didn't knead it. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a no-knead bread, but dang.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yes posted:

Yeah, there's not enough gluten because you didn't knead it. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a no-knead bread, but dang.

Kneading is only one way to develop gluten, time is another. The no knead method uses time to develop gluten, this is a very well tested method of making bread.

These are all no knead breads with perfectly fine gluten formation and crumb structure:

Also:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=no+knead+bread&m=text

Casu's answer is the right one.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

Grand Fromage posted:

Can a bread expert see what went wrong here?

I'm not a bread expert, but you also may want to look at what the gluten content of your flour is. It can vary quite a bit.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jenkin posted:

I'm not a bread expert, but you also may want to look at what the gluten content of your flour is. It can vary quite a bit.

Unless he's using cake flour, it shouldn't matter. I've made great bread from walmart generic brand AP to the fancy unbleached, blessed by the gods artisan stuff.

Edit: I'm pretty sure cake flour would form enough gluten structure to get something more interesting than his loaf in that time frame.

Yeast is dead. Get new yeast, try new bread.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I have a couple of new york strip steaks that I'm about to pan sear. Do I trim the fat before cooking them, after, or not at all?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pester posted:

I have a couple of new york strip steaks that I'm about to pan sear. Do I trim the fat before cooking them, after, or not at all?

Just leave it on and eat around it. Or be one of those terrible people that eats it too.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Pester posted:

best part man

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jenkin posted:

It's Korean flour, god only knows. I did get bubbles and the dough increased in volume, would you still get that with bad yeast? Maybe I should just use more? The amount in the recipe seemed small to me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just leave it on and eat around it. Or be one of those terrible people that eats it too.

You are crazy if you don't eat the fat strip.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
So what is the appropriate way to clean a cast iron pan? For some goddamn reason I always seem to take the seasoning off even though I only use hot water and a plastic scrubby pad thing. One time I somehow managed to burn the seasoning off after searing some steaks. This last time I just braised some pork and after I cleaned it up, there were white spots across the whole cooking surface...

Could I be incorrectly seasoning it? I've just been baking on a layer of Crisco @ 400 degrees for an hour or so per the wiki.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Third Man posted:

So what is the appropriate way to clean a cast iron pan? For some goddamn reason I always seem to take the seasoning off even though I only use hot water and a plastic scrubby pad thing. One time I somehow managed to burn the seasoning off after searing some steaks. This last time I just braised some pork and after I cleaned it up, there were white spots across the whole cooking surface...

Could I be incorrectly seasoning it? I've just been baking on a layer of Crisco @ 400 degrees for an hour or so per the wiki.

You apparently suck at seasoning. Sounds like you just have burnt on crap on the pan surface, not actual carbon buildup.

Edit VVV that too. I've never seen a white cast iron pan. They're kinda dull grey when unseasoned.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 27, 2011

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
White spots sounds like you're trying to season an enameled pan. Which is awesome.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pester posted:

I trim steaks before, there will be an inedible lining between the fat and meat that is chewy and unpleasant.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

White spots sounds like you're trying to season an enameled pan. Which is awesome.

Well I'm not THAT retarded, it's just a plain-jane cast iron pan :(

Maybe I'll take some pictures next time it happens...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Third Man posted:

Well I'm not THAT retarded, it's just a plain-jane cast iron pan :(

Maybe I'll take some pictures next time it happens...

If it's not enameled, are you possibly heating it on a crazy-hot stove? It is possible to burn off the seasoning.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Speaking of bread I just made 2 loaves that didn't rise all the high at all. The Yeast isn't that old and foamed up nicely, so I'm wondering where I went wrong. Can you over knead bread? (I used a kitchenaid stand mixer) Or checking back on it I may have let the dough raise in too warm of a place - Does that kill yeast growth?

I also completely failed at making pasta as well. So bad I had to actually chuck the dough out. I followed the standard recipe but replaced the flour with all Whole Wheat flour and it came out really dry and hard to roll out. Was going all Whole Wheat a mistake?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Was going all Whole Wheat a mistake?

Probably. I heard the best mixture is about 50/50 or 25/75 whole wheat to white flour, especially for something like pasta which is particular.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

drat, my only option for non-Korean flour is whole wheat. I was hoping I could just swap it out. I'll give this no-knead recipe another shot... I know it's supposed to be a wet dough but is it really supposed to be pourable?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Whole wheat flour seriously impedes gluten development because the tiny bits of bran and germ break up the gluten chains. You need to either use half whole wheat and half AP, or increase your hydration, or let the gluten develop passively by having the dough sit around a while.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Grand Fromage posted:

drat, my only option for non-Korean flour is whole wheat. I was hoping I could just swap it out. I'll give this no-knead recipe another shot... I know it's supposed to be a wet dough but is it really supposed to be pourable?

Ask around for bread flour. They do have it in Korea, but you'll need to hunt around. I doubt regular, unlabeled flour in Korea has as much gluten as AP flour. Just be careful; most people will probably point you towards pancake mixes. Good luck, you'll need it. (Hopefully, it was just dead yeast like someone said before, so you won't have to hunt around)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Ask around for bread flour. They do have it in Korea, but you'll need to hunt around. I doubt regular, unlabeled flour in Korea has as much gluten as AP flour. Just be careful; most people will probably point you towards pancake mixes. Good luck, you'll need it. (Hopefully, it was just dead yeast like someone said before, so you won't have to hunt around)

I don't think it was, it smelled like fermenting yeast and had bubbles and volume. Do you happen to know the name? Is it just bbang milgaru (빵 밀가루)?

There's actually a specialty baking store in my city so they'll probably have it. Then again, that's logical and this is Korea. Hopefully they have a reasonable bag instead of the 40 kg ones I saw in their warehouse area.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 27, 2011

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think it was, it smelled like fermenting yeast. Do you happen to know the name? Is it just bbang milgaru?

Pretty much, but you'll probably have to explain a bit. If that doesn't work, go on one of them naver forums dedicated to cooking, and ask around there; there definitely are Korean home bakers, but drat is it rare for them to bake anything other than cakes/cookies/quickbreads. I guess the most thorough way would be to google the Korean term for gluten, and do a naver search with that.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

There's actually a specialty baking store in my city so they'll probably have it. Then again, that's logical and this is Korea. Hopefully they have a reasonable bag instead of the 40 kg ones I saw in their warehouse area.

Heh heh, I'm sure they have bread flour, and I'm confident they'll sell you bread flour by weight. However, if it's a wholesale focused store, all bets are off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Heh heh, I'm sure they have bread flour, and I'm confident they'll sell you bread flour by weight. However, if it's a wholesale focused store, all bets are off.

They have a retail store too, I got a bunch of stuff there. What's unclear is whether the bread flour is within the retail portion. I shall find out!

Edit: Found all purpose flour on the internet, woo. If anyone ever needs Korean all purpose flour, it's called 다용도용 밀가루

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 27, 2011

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Couldn't you just buy wholemeal flour, and sift it? I've seen The Two Fat Ladies do that when they visited the mill to grind their own flour to make bread.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I've got a problem. I'm trying to get better at cooking, including my weeknight go-to: stir-fries. After doing some reading, I've changed my style a bit, the biggest change being upping the heat quite substantially (and lowering the frying times as a result). The problem is that, while the food usually turns out pretty good, I always fill our apartment up with smoke. It's got to the point where I have to open all the doors and windows and remove the smoke detector. With winter approaching, this won't be doable for much longer. In fact, my girlfriend is on the edge of banning stir fries all together.

I use a fairly thick cast iron pan (don't have a wok), and usually grapeseed oil. Also the same thing happens whenever I pan sear meat. Does this mean I'm doing something wrong or is it normal? Is there anything that should be done differently?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's going to smoke, dude. That's kind of what happens when you get the pans hot enough for a stir-fry. The problem with using a huge cast iron pan is that the heat cannot be controlled, nor can it be hefted around easily. If you've noticed good stir-fry chefs in big restaurants at work, everything is in constant motion: the wok, the ladle/spatula, the veggies, the everything. It's the same with South Indian poriyal: you crank the heat up to screaming hot, preheat your wok until it's smoking like a demon, then throw in some fat, throw in some yummies, and move everything around constantly. As soon as the fat goes into a sufficiently hot cooking vessel, you can start throwing crap in.

To prevent some of the heavier smoking, you'll want to move your wok off the fire for a second or two, then put it back on when the food goes in. Also, get the fan going, and you'll likely need to crack a window. It's fine. The point is that for stir-frying, you're better served with a wok, because it's not an enormous lump of metal that's getting screaming hot. It's a heavy-ish bottomed bowl-shaped thing, which the flames can lick up the sides of the pot, and get hot in different ways across the cooking surface. :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

theDoubleH posted:

I've got a problem. I'm trying to get better at cooking, including my weeknight go-to: stir-fries. After doing some reading, I've changed my style a bit, the biggest change being upping the heat quite substantially (and lowering the frying times as a result). The problem is that, while the food usually turns out pretty good, I always fill our apartment up with smoke. It's got to the point where I have to open all the doors and windows and remove the smoke detector. With winter approaching, this won't be doable for much longer. In fact, my girlfriend is on the edge of banning stir fries all together.

I use a fairly thick cast iron pan (don't have a wok), and usually grapeseed oil. Also the same thing happens whenever I pan sear meat. Does this mean I'm doing something wrong or is it normal? Is there anything that should be done differently?

Proper stir frying will make a lot of smoke. It's best done outside if you don't have a range hood that can vent the smoke quickly enough. One of those turkey fryer burners will work well, or you can get a specialty wok burner which will put even more heat. If you're stuck doing it inside, either cook at a lower temp or get used to the smoke.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

drat, didn't know going all whole wheat was that bad. I'll try mixing the ratios up next time I make pasta/bread.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Proper stir frying will make a lot of smoke. It's best done outside if you don't have a range hood that can vent the smoke quickly enough. One of those turkey fryer burners will work well, or you can get a specialty wok burner which will put even more heat. If you're stuck doing it inside, either cook at a lower temp or get used to the smoke.

drat, that's what I thought, but the gf was convinced I was doing something wrong and I had to check. I guess I'll experiment with fan placement to get the best airflow out the nearest window.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Speaking of bread I just made 2 loaves that didn't rise all the high at all. The Yeast isn't that old and foamed up nicely, so I'm wondering where I went wrong. Can you over knead bread? (I used a kitchenaid stand mixer) Or checking back on it I may have let the dough raise in too warm of a place - Does that kill yeast growth?

I also completely failed at making pasta as well. So bad I had to actually chuck the dough out. I followed the standard recipe but replaced the flour with all Whole Wheat flour and it came out really dry and hard to roll out. Was going all Whole Wheat a mistake?

You can definitely over knead bread but it will take a long time to do it.
English muffins are one example that's how you get all the nooks and crannies by over kneading it and breaking the gluten chains.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

theDoubleH posted:

drat, that's what I thought, but the gf was convinced I was doing something wrong and I had to check. I guess I'll experiment with fan placement to get the best airflow out the nearest window.

Dude, box fan in the window, venting out. Best way to clear out smokiness if you don't have a good range hood.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

You can definitely over knead bread but it will take a long time to do it.
English muffins are one example that's how you get all the nooks and crannies by over kneading it and breaking the gluten chains.

Your arms will fall off before you overknead bread by hand, but yeah, if you let a mixer go at a regular thing of bread dough for half an hour it'll just turn out badly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm attempting to raise my skill in spicing things and making spice blends. I am interested in experimenting with a bunch of different combinations, but just tasting the combination off the tip of my finger won't have the presence of salt and other things that would really impact how the spices taste at the end of cooking.

So, anyone know a simple way for me to test out spice blends without actually cooking something with it? I mean, even with Old Bay, having it straight up is way different than having it cooked with stuff.

Maybe toast?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Whenever I've made the no-knead recipe, yes, it's basically pourable. I throw a lot of flour around at the folding stage, and use parchment paper so it doesn't stick to the counter. I also live in a very humid area, that might be part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I have .72lb of lamb breast for myself tonight and was thinking a simple braise would be the way to go. I do not have a cast iron lid for my cast iron pan, however (which would be my closest approximation of a dutch oven). What is the way to go here?