Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

drive_the_hive posted:

I bet GTA V is gonna go back to Vice City. It'd be nice.

On a different note, is anyone as (stupidly) disappointed as I am that they're already releasing another major gta title? I think they shouldve let more time go by and make some more in-between GTA games like Vice City and San Andreas were in-betweeners to III. Because then, the move from III (+ VC & SA) to IV was so unfathomably groundbreaking and I fear going from IV to V wont be anywhere near as amazing as it's probably going to be on the same engine IV ran on and it will look pretty much the same as IV, L&D and BoGT. Dont get me wrong I think the GTA series is one of the best video game series ever made but I kinda couldve waited longer for a new big title... v :( v

Who honestly cares if it's not a major groundbreaking change? Nobody ever said it had to be, just that it'll be in a separate universe from Nico, CJ and the rest. I'll be honestly surprised if its any more than an evolution of GTA4, just like how Forza 4 is an evolution from Forza 3.

Speaking of Forza, I wonder what type of Kinect gimmick Microsoft will force on Rockstar :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

drive_the_hive posted:

On a different note, is anyone as (stupidly) disappointed as I am that they're already releasing another major gta title? I think they shouldve let more time go by and make some more in-between GTA games like Vice City and San Andreas were in-betweeners to III. Because then, the move from III (+ VC & SA) to IV was so unfathomably groundbreaking and I fear going from IV to V wont be anywhere near as amazing as it's probably going to be on the same engine IV ran on and it will look pretty much the same as IV, L&D and BoGT. Dont get me wrong I think the GTA series is one of the best video game series ever made but I kinda couldve waited longer for a new big title... v :( v

Already? GTAIV came out in 2008, man. It's been almost 4 years since then.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

webmeister posted:

Speaking of Forza, I wonder what type of Kinect gimmick Microsoft will force on Rockstar :v:

Oh god please nothing to do with the already tedious social mini games involving dancing.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think any one of the first parties is going to be in any position to force Rockstar to put anything in a new GTA game.

Goddamn Hippy
Jan 18, 2006
Color me surprised, i didn't think they would release GTAV info this year.

I'm still hanging on to the pipe dream that RDR will hit pc :(

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Goddamn Hippy posted:

Color me surprised, i didn't think they would release GTAV info this year.

I'm still hanging on to the pipe dream that RDR will hit pc :(

They're using some excuse about technical difficulties porting the tech to the PC, but I find that excruciatingly hard to believe. They built and probably ran debugging and such on the PC, and the platform is several generations ahead of ones it's already released on so it can't be technical restraints.

But if it's true, and GTA V will have open expanses and such, there's a good chance it's based on the same tech, and we'll either get none of them or both of them.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I always did all 12 levels of the Ambulance missions before the first mission because I needed me some infinite sprint.

Me too, and the fireman and taxi missions. Not the Vigilante ones though, I waited til I had the tank to do those.

drive_the_hive
Jan 2, 2008

by T. Fine

SymfonyMan posted:

You know it's going to be a 4 year cycle right? GTA 4 came out in 2008 and 5 won't come out until 2012. How much longer do you want to wait? :psyduck:

Yeah sure but going from III to IV took an odd 6 years and by then I was craving for some new GTA and right now im pretty much happy. I'm still able to get a ton of fun out of just loving around in IV.

webmeister posted:

Who honestly cares if it's not a major groundbreaking change? Nobody ever said it had to be, just that it'll be in a separate universe from Nico, CJ and the rest. I'll be honestly surprised if its any more than an evolution of GTA4, just like how Forza 4 is an evolution from Forza 3.

But then it might just feel like another L&D or BoGT, something that gets thrown in inbetween bigger titles to generate some moneys until the big one hits. I dunno. Maybe I'm just grumpy that I had my best gamer day with all sorts of junk food when gta IV came out and it was like 24h of me just going :stare: and I played that poo poo till I passed out.

drive_the_hive fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 27, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

VC,SA, LCS and VCC came in between though.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Dear GTAV: Please follow Saints Row's example and make it so that if you take a car and put it in your garage, you can get it back after it's destroyed or lost. This goes double if you can modify cars.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

webmeister posted:

Hot Coffee :pervert:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Songbearer posted:

Dear GTAV: Please follow Saints Row's example and make it so that if you take a car and put it in your garage, you can get it back after it's destroyed or lost. This goes double if you can modify cars.

I'll expound upon this and hope they steal from Saints Row's keep any car you put in your garage -- forever -- system.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Himuro posted:

I'll expound upon this and hope they steal from Saints Row's keep any car you put in your garage -- forever -- system.

Don't be silly! You can only have the car parked outside your safe house! It's really realistic!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zedd posted:

VC,SA, LCS and VCC came in between though.

I'd love to see LCS and VCS released on PC/360.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Good old jamming 5+ cars in the stauton island saferoom. :allears:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

simosimo posted:

Don't be silly! You can only have the car parked outside your safe house! It's really realistic!

Get rare car from mission.

Park it outside on curb.

Car disappears.

Thanks, Rockstar!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's really no different than:

Never loving drive it because you want to keep it.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

The Dave posted:

It's really no different than:

Never loving drive it because you want to keep it.

Fixed with Saints row :smug:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Seriously. Give me a universal garage that saves every car I've ever put in that garage, no matter what safehouse. If a car is destroyed, give me a fee so I can return the car back to driving condition and it'll reset inside my garage. Steal poo poo, Rockstar.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
They had horse deeds in RDR, surely that feature is on the radar.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

Seriously. Give me a universal garage that saves every car I've ever put in that garage, no matter what safehouse. If a car is destroyed, give me a fee so I can return the car back to driving condition and it'll reset inside my garage. Steal poo poo, Rockstar.

The Chinatown Wars car dealer kinda worked like this.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
To be more realistic, once you get rich in gta5 you should be able to buy up properties like in SA, and one should just be a big airplane hangar that's just full of every car you've ever parked there. It makes sense to have apartments with a spot or two for street parking, or a mansion with a 3 car garage, but if you're a die-hard collector then you should get a huge store room and just stick whatever you want in there.

Also I was just browsing around my own ftp and came across these. I love you online gta with goons.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Does someone have the link that compares all the GTA games map sizes? I think it also included a few other free-roam games as well. It's been awhile and I'm wondering just how big SA was.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

err posted:

Does someone have the link that compares all the GTA games map sizes? I think it also included a few other free-roam games as well. It's been awhile and I'm wondering just how big SA was.

I remember that GTA III is about 1.5 square miles, GTA SA is about 11 square miles, and GTA IV is about 6 square miles.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope they have horses, because why the gently caress not. Then you can have the epic horse vs. motorcycle chase mission.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

greatn posted:

I hope they have horses, because why the gently caress not. Then you can have the epic horse vs. motorcycle chase mission.

All you had to do was follow the horse CJ!

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

err posted:

You're probably thinking of this, though it doesn't have GTA4 in it. 4 would be between 3 and SA.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

There was a car-spawning garage in GTA3, so it's not like there isn't precedent. Though it would be weird to see that in a post-GTA4 game. They would probably do something like "call Johnny the CAR GUY to have him drive a certain car to you!" because it would be more "realistic".

Erebus posted:

You're probably thinking of this, though it doesn't have GTA4 in it. 4 would be between 3 and SA.

The scale in that is a little weird. There's city blocks in Burnout Paradise that are larger than whole islands of GTA3. I know that game has some pretty big distances between streets to account for the crazy speed you drive through at, but that still doesn't seem right.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 27, 2011

VanV
May 13, 2004

Not this year.

SeanBeansShako posted:

How did you stay sane at the start of SA? Just a handful of pistol rounds and your puny fists drove me insane!

Seriously, there is like six nearby just outside the dudes house.

There were? It's been a long time since I've played SA single-player. Okay, so I probably grabbed those, and I probably did grab any other ones that were in plain sight that I might have ran past but other than that I just never ever cared about collecting x amount of hidden packages. Or stunt jumps. Or doing anything extra that didn't give me free flamethrowers/armor/jetpacks/etc.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

wa27 posted:

The scale in that is a little weird. There's city blocks in Burnout Paradise that are larger than whole islands of GTA3. I know that game has some pretty big distances between streets to account for the crazy speed you drive through at, but that still doesn't seem right.
Everything in Burnout Paradise is huge. You don't really notice because you're usually tearing around at 200 MPH, but stop at an intersection sometime and take note of how the streetlamps and whatnot dwarf your car. It's like a city for giants.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Never thought I'd say this, but... drat Oblivion, you tiny.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wa27 posted:

Those aren't "real" city blocks in Burnout Paradise, basically.

But also, GTA III's islands are tiny as hell too, the entire land area of GTA III would fit within the confines of Los Santos or any of the three main islands of IV. I think Alderney's an almost exact match for GTA III's area, and also has more length of roadways and more detail to boot.

And don't forget the GTA 1 cities:

Which IIRC all take up about 1.3 or 1.5 square miles.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That map comparison is loving horrible and doesn't accurately represent anything. The only remotely correct scale is between GTA3 and San Andreas.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Jesus gently caress, Daggerfall is huge.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

DrPain posted:

Never thought I'd say this, but... drat Oblivion, you tiny.

The first time I saw that imaige it made me want to try out LOTR online, which I never got around to. I did however get Just Cause 2 back when it was on sale on steam, and I think that's the most amount of time I ever put into a game that cost me $7. It gets me thinking, and maybe the technical limitations of gameworld designs make this impossible, but could GTA5 start out with one big map like any other gta game, but then later DLC could just add more area to the map beyond the original? Or would you have to design the original map with a huge empty desert somewhere then dlc would just turn it into a new city, and you could build it into the story like 5 years later they expanded the city? I dunno. I loved the EFLC expansions but it would have been cool if there had been a new island or something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

K8.0 posted:

That map comparison is loving horrible and doesn't accurately represent anything. The only remotely correct scale is between GTA3 and San Andreas.

Um, I'm pretty sure all the map sizes on there come from trusting any "distance traveled" stat the game has as fact. And that does accurately represent sizes.

Do you have some manner of proof that the sizes are different?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drive_the_hive posted:

I'm pretty stoked actually. I really didnt like IV. It felt like a downgrade coming off the awesomeness of SA.

In fact, this thread made me want to play some GTA again, so I popped in IV, got through the first mission, remembered how annoying it was, popped it out, and started SA from the beginning for like the 9th time now.

I know I may be in the minority, but IV was a pretty big letdown to me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There is no way that comparison map thing is accurate. Daggerfall is king at twice the size of LOTRO, but you have to remember that basically everything in Daggerfall except a couple major cities and the main plot dungeons is procedurally generated in a very lifeless way; almost all of that map space is flat featureless terrain with grass or sand texture on it stretching endlessly into the horizon.

But LOTRO is a major commercial MMO of the World of Warcraft design school. There have to be quests and hand-crafted spawns and stuff everywhere. There is no loving way.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VaultAggie posted:

Jesus gently caress, Daggerfall is huge.

Yeah, but it was largely procedurally generated and there is little to do in those in-between areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There is no way that comparison map thing is accurate. Daggerfall is king at twice the size of LOTRO, but you have to remember that basically everything in Daggerfall except a couple major cities and the main plot dungeons is procedurally generated in a very lifeless way; almost all of that map space is flat featureless terrain with grass or sand texture on it stretching endlessly into the horizon.

But LOTRO is a major commercial MMO of the World of Warcraft design school. There have to be quests and hand-crafted spawns and stuff everywhere. There is no loving way.

You notice how they don't actually show LOTRO or Daggerfall on the map comparison right, just the suppsoed sizes? All the ones they actually show look right.

• Locked thread