Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Dunno if people have seen this, but I think this is really helpful for people trying to figure out the guard when someone's not in your closed guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmqIAXU9TWE&feature=relmfu

Actually, it also sort of shows the lessons for closed guard. Get on a hip, attack attack attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Neurosis posted:

Dunno if people have seen this, but I think this is really helpful for people trying to figure out the guard when someone's not in your closed guard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmqIAXU9TWE&feature=relmfu

Actually, it also sort of shows the lessons for closed guard. Get on a hip, attack attack attack.

Marcelo is the man. I don't think that second technique is anywhere near as easy to execute as he makes it look.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm channeling Joe Rogan, but I like this streetfight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z5cSIbEUDQ#t=10s

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The security guard looked like he was doing 52 Blocks system!!! LOL!!!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

mewse posted:

There's another news clip interviewing people from his gym. Apparently he does mma, or at least kickboxing. I can't recall!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Its incredible the difference between 'throwing straight punches and uppercuts' vs 'throwing wild hooks with arms flailing everywhere'. Take note schoolyard lurkers.

VV Details?

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 26, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

First lesson back after 3-4 months of injury, nearly passed out, got blood all over my new gi. gently caress yeah.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I think he landed 1, maybe 2, of all those shots he threw. He was doing barely better than his opponent who was essentially windmilling and staring at the ground.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Syphilis Fish posted:

He should be hooking your leg before he's up any whole feet in the air. I'll take a 4-6" slam to triangle you to sleep, if I can't sweep you from being hoisted up that much (which I 90% likely, can). And I'm not even good. But yeah, if someone raises you up more than a few inches, you should abandon guard and go for something else, like maybe a double leg or something if they try to raise you to the roof. Maet effet listed a few options.

As a guy with only defensive juijitsu and transitions (no subs), I only slam to pass guard on guys who are trying to hold me down to kill time. In an mma setting, I'm really just trying to shake them up as much when I don't want to expend the upper-body energy noodle-arming out of their overhooks.

How do you guys who are good at jui jitsu defend from these kind of shorter slams? I haven't encountered any problems with guys my size as long as it's not the only thing I do from that position.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 26, 2011

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Meat Effete posted:

Why would you let go if they were going to pick you up to slam you? Lock up the leg to prevent them standing, sweep to mount/half guard, transition to de la Riva/x-guard...so many options.

Because if they're already picking you up, a couple of things have already gone wrong.

I am not talking about preventing slamming by him not being able to lift you or transitioning to another position, which are valid options. (Ideally it is what you want to do.)

I am talking about stopping him from slamming you. (Or at least reducing the severity of the slam.) Letting go as you're being lifted, 6"+ off the ground. (Let go, tuck your chin, and go to open guard or x-guard or whatever you feel offers you the best protection.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 26, 2011

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I yelled at Winkle Daddy a while back that krav maga was not muay thai and I feel kinda bad about it.

Because I found out today that while thai boxing and boxing share the word boxing, stepping into boxing sparring against a boxer with only thai boxing as your basis will get your loving rear end beat.

Ugh.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 26, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

First lesson back after 3-4 months of injury, nearly passed out, got blood all over my new gi. gently caress yeah.

I went to go give you props and saw your prior log entry "Running 00:30:00 while drunk".

Go on....

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Because I found out today that while thai boxing and boxing share the word boxing, stepping into boxing sparring against a boxer with only thai boxing as your basis will get your loving rear end beat.

Not too surprising. Did you have lots of mental hiccups having to contain your teeps or leg kicks? Those'll will really gently caress you up and get you jabbed.

e:

mewse posted:

Actually, I swear that it looked like Pensataq, the martial art they made up for the new Batman trilogy.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 26, 2011

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I went to go give you props and saw your prior log entry "Running 00:30:00 while drunk".

Go on....

My girlfriend's doing the Couch to 5k, but she only has time to do her jogging at night, and the parks around our house are a bit creepy at night, so I go running with her.

I'd just gotten home from a pretty stressful day and said to myself "gently caress lifting weights, it's time for a drink!".

And then about five drinks later she was like "Hey, are we still going for a run? Remember you said we'd go tonight? ...You're not already drunk, are you?"

I deviously responded "N..no. Of course not." (I don't think she was fooled.)

And then I went running. It turned out okay! We were going pretty slowly. :australia:

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 26, 2011

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Trying BJJ tonight. Lost my last Judo match due to bad wind and bad newaza, so I figure a few BJJ workouts per week will help both. I haven't signed up yet, this is a "free trial class." I need to know more about fees and/or contract terms before I will commit to it. I hope it's something I can afford to do.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

kimbo305 posted:

Not too surprising. Did you have lots of mental hiccups having to contain your teeps or leg kicks? Those'll will really gently caress you up and get you jabbed.

Yep. And I've been playing with a boxing stance so I constantly fell over my own drat feet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

kimbo305 posted:

It's even worse when you're a grappleman and you try to do a boxing round for fun. my friend got pissed because I would insensibly clinch every time he so much as jabbed.

Not my fault I have a highly trained nervous system bro.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

my friend got pissed because I would insensibly clinch every time he so much as jabbed.

as a boxer, that would be so frustrating.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It was weird because I wasn't trying to be an rear end in a top hat, I would just default to doing that when I felt overwhelmed: which was constantly.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Actually, I swear that it looked like Pensataq, the martial art they made up for the new Batman trilogy.

It's actually called keysi :colbert:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

It's actually called keysi :colbert:

*elbow blocks and then headbutts u*

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."
We have boxers who train at my gym, and I’ll sit in on their practices every once and a while. I got tore up a lot in the beginning because I would instinctively take a more squared up Thai stance, and “hiccup” each time they would dip real low under my hands (and into my knee/kick range…). Someone once told me that Thai boxers should instinctively be good at boxing, since we use our hands a lot. There is a bit of a difference.

Edit: Though, I never see the boxers sit in on the Muay Thai sessions. I think the situation would be pretty similar if the roles were reversed.

TheStampede fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 26, 2011

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheStampede posted:

Edit: Though, I never see the boxers sit in on the Muay Thai sessions. I think the situation would be pretty similar if the roles were reversed.

i'm a boxer and i sat in on a BJJ rolling session and i got choked to death and i died and i'm posting from heaven. it's really hot down here for some reason?

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheStampede posted:

I've never seen a boxer find a solution for eating a lowkick every time he tries to step into boxing range. I haven't gone to a boxing class, but whenever I spar with a boxer I try to focus on my hands to get something out of it. I'll only kick the poo poo outta him if he's being a dick by going too hard or trying to be slick with his boxing defense.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

BJJ was fun. $110.00 per month on top of the $60 I'm spending on Judo is a little much, but there's no contract so what the heck I'll go for it for a little while. The instructor said I can continue to wear my Judo gi for a while so at least I don't have to shell out for a Gracie Barra branded gi for $150+.

I got there a little early and I saw end of the kids class. I saw one dad turn to another dad and say "your kid is an animal!" and I thought he was complimenting him, then he went on "elbows to the throat, always going for the eyes, it's bullshit!" The other dad just kind of shrugged.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

KingColliwog posted:

Yep, I had planned to compete for 2-3 years and I always got injured before the comp. Right now I only have a small case of shoulder tendenitis so I'm really touching wood.

well here I am, just hosed up my right thumb playing volleyball. Hurts like a bitch, will seek medical attention tomorrow! If I miss the comp because of that I'm going on a killing spree.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

I got there a little early and I saw end of the kids class. I saw one dad turn to another dad and say "your kid is an animal!" and I thought he was complimenting him, then he went on "elbows to the throat, always going for the eyes, it's bullshit!" The other dad just kind of shrugged.

parents are the worst

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

well here I am, just hosed up my right thumb playing volleyball. Hurts like a bitch, will seek medical attention tomorrow! If I miss the comp because of that I'm going on a killing spree.

What did you do to it? I've jammed the gently caress out of my thumb of several occasions but been able to immobilize it in an extended position with tape and practice/compete with only a small handicap and bearable pain.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

TheStampede posted:

Someone once told me that Thai boxers should instinctively be good at boxing, since we use our hands a lot. There is a bit of a difference.

While thai boxing is probably the closest to boxing there is, there's still a world of difference between the two. Each would lose in the other's game.

edit: actually, the boxer could probably still beat the thai fighter in a thai match

Paul Pot posted:

I've never seen a boxer find a solution for eating a lowkick every time he tries to step into boxing range. I haven't gone to a boxing class, but whenever I spar with a boxer I try to focus on my hands to get something out of it. I'll only kick the poo poo outta him if he's being a dick by going too hard or trying to be slick with his boxing defense.

I hope when you're kicking him you're sparring with thai rules because I can't think of a bigger dick thing to do than to kick in a box sparring match

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
obviously

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

I hope when you're kicking him you're sparring with thai rules because I can't think of a bigger dick thing to do than to kick in a box sparring match

what I enjoy is going to boxing or kicking practice and suddenly start rolling with my enemy disregarding their screams or the coach trying to pull me off

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
You just never know with goons...

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Ligur posted:

what I enjoy is going to boxing or kicking practice and suddenly start rolling with my enemy disregarding their screams or the coach trying to pull me off

I train with my brother, so our sparring matches tend to devolve into these sort of affairs. Our couch just shakes his head and ignores us.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

What did you do to it? I've jammed the gently caress out of my thumb of several occasions but been able to immobilize it in an extended position with tape and practice/compete with only a small handicap and bearable pain.

Playing volleyball I did a set and my thumb just curled in a weird way. It was painful as gently caress.

Went to see a doctor this morning and it's sprained. I'm seeing a physical therapist in a couple of hours too. Doctor said 2 weeks with the splint and that I should see a physical therapist.

I'll let the physical therapist decide if I can or cannot do the comp. I'll try to convince her that I can.

Getting injured is getting expensive though :(

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Guilty posted:

edit: actually, the boxer could probably still beat the thai fighter in a thai match

Couldn't the thai fighter just leg kick and then clinch destroy the boxer, if that were legal in their fight?

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Couldn't the thai fighter just leg kick and then clinch destroy the boxer, if that were legal in their fight?

Yeah, it works in theory, but so many thai fights are won by the better boxer (of the two thai fighters) that it's scary how well boxers do in thai fights. If you're going by points, the boxer will probably lose, but the boxer will also more likely get a K.O.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've fallen a little bit in love with flying armbars. If you get just the right grip, it's so easy to throw your legs up there. I've been testing the water for flying triangles as well, but I think I'm generally doing good with staying disciplined and mostly working on higher percentange moves, like wrasslin takedowns. I did a couple of wrestling classes last week, and even though it was just greco roman, it was pretty sweet, and I learned some handy takedowns (or more like pulldowns) from the arm drag-- now I just need to get my arm drag to work properly.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

Guilty posted:

Yeah, it works in theory, but so many thai fights are won by the better boxer (of the two thai fighters) that it's scary how well boxers do in thai fights. If you're going by points, the boxer will probably lose, but the boxer will also more likely get a K.O.

I don’t disagree that it would be a close fight, but you can’t dismiss the K.O. potential of a well set up headkick or a knee when the boxer tries an instinctive dip. The rules will play the biggest part in deciding that matchup I’d say. Both styles can heavily exploit the other in a pure sense.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Both styles have their good points so I'm learning both of them. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Guilty posted:

The shittier they both are the likelier it is that the boxer will win, since if they both suck the boxer will at least be okay at punching, whereas the thai guy will suck at everything equally. The higher level it is the worse chance a boxer has since the thai guy will actually be adept at keeping range with teeps and low kicks, using thai clinch etc

• Locked thread