Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

So is this thread going to get locked until 11/11/11?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Pleasant Friend posted:

So is this thread going to get locked until 11/11/11?

Maybe it will have a special TF2 cameo in it :allears:

I haven't had time to check the new album, but does it have the song [music?] from EOA5? I'm loving that part when Jade goes doG tier.
e: oh hey maybe it's the one called CASCADE :downs:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Starmaker posted:

e: it just occurred to me that we're going to have to put up with Grandpa/Mom and Bro/Nanna shipping now.

Grandpa + Mom = Tony Stark.

Think about it.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

creationist believer posted:

Did they whisper the MEOW code to Rose? I don't think that was ever stated. Besides, on the troll side of things, it was 4 Prospit dreamers and one Derse dreamer who wrote the code that created Scratch.
They did not-in fact, they whispered her to DESTROY it. Which she did, but not before Dave captcha'd it when she was asleep. DD stole it while he was goofing around, and the presence of a dead Dave kept him from pursuing the matter.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I've been having a think on how Rose and Dave's godtier powers are likely to manifest themselves (as we have a pretty good idea of the crazy stuff John and Jade can pull with theirs). I've had trouble putting one together for Dave (since Karkat was too busy leading the Trolls to work on the true meaning of his role as a Knight), but I reckon I've made decent headway with Rose. Maybe someone else could try doing one for Dave?

Rose is the Seer of Light. Let's start with Seer, in particular Doc Scratch's analysis of what makes a true Seer. A Seer's job is to be their team's strategist and analyst, and to make the right moves at the right time to achieve their long-term goals. This is something Rose has struggled with so far, gamely at times, but at other times outright fighting against her prescribed role: she's been stuck between fighting fate and trying to use it work out what to do, and as such has fallen between two stools.

Rose's "role model" for Seering is Terezi, although not using the same methods: as a Seer of Mind, Terezi derives her seer abilities from psychology, using her knowledge of how people think and react to predict "if... then" scenarios. Rose is the Seer of Light, so although her "class" is the same as Terezi's, her "domain" is Vriska's. Light in the comic seems to manifest in the form of fate and luck: as the Thief of Light, Vriska stole it from others. Rose probably won't be able to steal luck or just be plain lucky because she's not a Thief. But luck and fate certainly have applications for a Seer.

So Rose should end up with Terezi's prediction powers, but based on fate rather than psychology: my guess is she'll now have an intuitive grasp of the alpha timeline and how to stick to it (and hopefully use it to everyone's advantage), rather than worrying about the right thing to do. Though saying that, post-Scratch who knows whether the alpha timeline is still a relevant thing.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 27, 2011

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Starmaker posted:

This is exactly what I was saying earlier. Story-wise, everything seems to be going full-tilt into a new universe. Also, that note J sent? That is totally Grandpa. I mean, come on, fistifuffs?

My god, I never realized that Grandpa - had he been born much earlier - would sound exactly like J, and that Jade would be his grandmother if they had switched places! Somehow this fits so well it simply must be true.

Starmaker posted:

e: it just occurred to me that we're going to have to put up with Grandpa/Mom and Bro/Nanna shipping now.

Psh. More like Grandpa/Nanna and Mom/Bro shipping!

Edit: Hold on, if the ectobiology of the reset session was set so that John, Rose, Dave, and Jade are the 'parents' and Nanna and Grandpa are the ecto-kids of John and Jade while Bro and Mom are the ecto-kids of Dave and Rose... that means that fan art of John and Jade and Dave and Rose wouldn't be incestuous. The fandom's going to go mad with shipping.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 27, 2011

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Nicholas Cage and Charles Dutton need lovin' too :colbert:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
You know, I don't really want to see any supposed New Kids at length. I think we have plenty of stuff to deal with already without adding ANOTHER group of main characters. I'd probably be ok with little snippets like trolls' Ancestors got.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I really like Cascade (Beta). I mean Cascade is nice but Beta is a lot more coherent plus it has more of Tensei doing things to guitars which is always a Pretty Okay Thing.

I wonder if we'll ever find out what the ultimate riddle is.

Or for that matter, the ultimate alchemy. I'm hoping we'll find out in the final act since this is supposed to be an Sburb session played the "proper" way, since they both seem to be tied with the game itself.

Although at this point I'm liable to think the ultimate alchemy is actually the creation of the green sun and it was just another red herring to think that it was part of the game. You can't get more ultimate than mashing two dying universes together.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 27, 2011

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

Okay, so far in these recaps Andrew has pointed out that Lord English:

-is basically a pimp
-is associated with the kids' memories somehow
-is a master of time

D... Dave? :ohdear:

(still pretty sure LE is his own independent character and not something that an existing character "becomes" though)

Snoop Dogg. It's Snoop Dogg.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

SpaceDrake posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion of the confirmation of the fact that Jade really did inherit all the powers (all of them) when she went Dogtier: she's got full Space abilities, full Sprite abilities, and full First Guardian abilities.

Did Hussie actually say that?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Jazu posted:

Did Hussie actually say that?

Yep:

quote:

Her dream self died, but she brought it back to life by prototyping the stuffed corpse in her grandpa’s lab, making Jadesprite. So, she did in fact have a living dream self, so option #1 was available. This had the side effect of turbo charging her god tier state. She not only has the Witch of Space powers and immortality, she merged with the sprite, which was imbued with Bec’s powers. She now has the abilities of a god tier player, a sprite, and a first guardian all in one.

http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/11975241895/about-eoa5-part-4

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

After the adrenaline rush from her master plan wears off Jade will be too busy thinking about unfathomable snausages to do anything for the rest of the comic.

I forget the artist but it was on Skaianet.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Or for that matter, the ultimate alchemy. I'm hoping we'll find out in the final act since this is supposed to be an Sburb session played the "proper" way, since they both seem to be tied with the game itself.

I thought that the Ultimate Riddle was how the kids came to be (ectobiology shenanigans), and the Ultimate Alchemy is the universe you wind up with when you win the game?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Karkat explicitly spells it out here. Assuming he's not wrong about it.

It feels like there's too many clues toward J. being post-scratch Harley. It's either not going to be him or it's going to be him in a way we don't expect. My thought was that maybe the Grandpa Harley we see wandering around the Medium was actually an adult J. who found a way back into the pre-Scratch universe, not this universe's Harley. Except that contradicts a lot of things like all the Giclops and Basilisk trophies he has.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Karkat explicitly spells it out here. Assuming he's not wrong about it.

That's part of it, yeah, but the way other characters have talked about it make it seem like it's somewhat more involved. Karkat references a future/past conversation where he had explained the Riddle to John in more detail, which appears to be an incomplete conversation, which will probably be dropped on us in flashback when it comes time for the big riddle reveal.

Also in the process of searching for that conversation I found this:

a spooky ghost robot frog posted:

AA: what d0 y0u want with the s0urce 0f the first guardians
AA: what g00d d0 y0u really think c0uld c0me 0f it
TT: Do you know about it?
TT: The sun?
AA: y0u cant p0ssibly wield its energy 0r put it t0 c0nstructive use
TT: That isn't exactly my plan.
AA: y0u w0nt find it either
AA: its imp0ssible

Foreshadowing :aaa:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

It feels like there's too many clues toward J. being post-scratch Harley. It's either not going to be him or it's going to be him in a way we don't expect. My thought was that maybe the Grandpa Harley we see wandering around the Medium was actually an adult J. who found a way back into the pre-Scratch universe, not this universe's Harley. Except that contradicts a lot of things like all the Giclops and Basilisk trophies he has.
Not to mention the stuffed dreamself Jade would eventually throw into her sprite.

I've more or less given up trying to figure out how Grandpa Harley got into the medium in the first place. Presumably he exited out through a portal, but how he got there in the first place was probably just shenanigans. Probably going to have to file PM's exile under that as well.

E: Jack Noir is technically an exile. I find that kind of funny for some reason.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Karkat never explains what the ultimate riddle is, whenever John asks him about it he just dances around it or acts exasperated. This is the last time it's mentioned and it sounds like he's about to explain it but the narration jumps to a different perspective.

And the ultimate alchemy, from way back, I think someone mentioned it had to do with the Denizens. I don't think it has to do with the ecto-babies stuff, though at this point who knows.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gabriel Pope posted:

That's part of it, yeah, but the way other characters have talked about it make it seem like it's somewhat more involved. Karkat references a future/past conversation where he had explained the Riddle to John in more detail, which appears to be an incomplete conversation, which will probably be dropped on us in flashback when it comes time for the big riddle reveal.

I think that the conversation in the lab is the immediate continuation of that conversation. It takes Karkat a second to realize that's he's back to talking to Past-John.

If the Green Sun energy is a necessary component of the second method of reaching godhood, then technically Rose and Dave (and Aradia!) did too v:v:v
vvvvvv

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 27, 2011

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

"a spooky ghost robot frog posted: posted:

Also in the process of searching for that conversation I found this:
a spooky ghost robot frog posted:
AA: what d0 y0u want with the s0urce 0f the first guardians
AA: what g00d d0 y0u really think c0uld c0me 0f it
TT: Do you know about it?
TT: The sun?
AA: y0u cant p0ssibly wield its energy 0r put it t0 c0nstructive use
TT: That isn't exactly my plan.
AA: y0u w0nt find it either
AA: its imp0ssible

Foreshadowing :aaa:

Ha, good find, and I guess Jade sure proved Aradia wrong.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Dizz posted:

I haven't had time to check the new album, but does it have the song [music?] from EOA5? I'm loving that part when Jade goes doG tier.
e: oh hey maybe it's the one called CASCADE :downs:

For the record, the part of the song specifically in which Jade goes doG tier and does the bulk of her awesome poo poo is called "Savior of the Dreaming Dead" and was originally released in Volume 7.

Also for the record I remember thinking/saying the first time I heard it, back when the album came out, that it really felt like "End of Act" music and I am so glad I was right, because it so is. Amazing use of it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

My only nitpick with the flash is I really don't like the head-on view of Jade's face we get, it looks really goofy/amateurish in the middle of such a cool/important moment. Like the guy from El Goonish Shive contributed art.

Other than that, it was great of course!

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I thought you said Jack there for a moment. I really don't like the close up view of his face just before he cuts a chump.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I thought you said Jack there for a moment. I really don't like the close up view of his face just before he cuts a chump.

Yeah, but it's fleeting. The Jade front view (even the side view, to a degree) gets shittons of cheaply-animated exposure that it's really not strong enough to carry.

I suspect the goofy, simplistic drawing of Jade in that pose was probably kind of necessary to facilitate animation, though. Someone needs to buy Andrew a Korean sweatshop to crank out tweens for him so that he can fully animate this poo poo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lexxy posted the originals of that drawing and it looked different and better than it did in the flash; I think it just suffered from Andrew editing the face/expression.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Android Blues posted:

My only nitpick with the flash is I really don't like the head-on view of Jade's face we get, it looks really goofy/amateurish in the middle of such a cool/important moment. Like the guy from El Goonish Shive contributed art.

I'm shocked to even heard mention of that comic on this forum. I didn't think it was very well known at all.

That being said, the art style of EGS is actually pretty decent, I think. I mean the comic has its problems, sure, and plenty of them, but the art isn't one of them, especially when you compare the first strips to more recent ones, it's one of the most drastic scales of improvement I've ever seen.

/derail

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Gabriel Pope posted:

Someone needs to buy Andrew a Korean sweatshop to crank out tweens for him so that he can fully animate this poo poo.

If all his fans chip in a bit, I'm sure they could raise enough money in no time at all!

I still think it would be funny and awesome if, after Homestuck ends, all the fans pitch in a little bit for the "Let's Buy Andrew Hussie a New Ferarri Pledge Drive".

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

I still think it would be funny and awesome if, after Homestuck ends, all the fans pitch in a little bit for the "Let's Buy Andrew Hussie a New Ferarri Pledge Drive".
Given his past history with donated money, he'd probably never get around to actually buying the Ferarri, instead blowing it all on a thousand dinners at Red Lobster or something.

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

"you found a fistful of rice-krispies"

Surprise Noodle posted:

Given his past history with donated money, he'd probably never get around to actually buying the Ferarri, instead blowing it all on a thousand dinners at Red Lobster or something.

I keep asking him to go to Olive Garden but we keep realizing how stupid it is. There's not one near him and the food is lovely.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

CidGregor posted:

I'm shocked to even heard mention of that comic on this forum. I didn't think it was very well known at all.

That being said, the art style of EGS is actually pretty decent, I think. I mean the comic has its problems, sure, and plenty of them, but the art isn't one of them, especially when you compare the first strips to more recent ones, it's one of the most drastic scales of improvement I've ever seen.

/derail

There is a thread for webcomics that aren't Homestuck too, you know. EGS tends to get short shrift when it comes up there, though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Radiation posted:

I keep asking him to go to Olive Garden but we keep realizing how stupid it is. There's not one near him and the food is lovely.

Where did the whole Olive Garden thing come from anyway?

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
I think it started with him ranting about some terrible web ad for Olive Garden on his old blog that probably doesn't even exist anymore.

And, much like everything else he touches, it just spiraled out of control from there.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Lady Charlemagne posted:

:aaa: this cannot possibly be right.... can it?

You're forgetting how long some of the conversations can be. The update on troll romance on 8/22/10 was one thousand, seven hundred words long. The two Trollian memos from 8/28/10 were three thousand, eight hundred words long. The memo three days later on 8/31/10 puts another two thousand, eight hundred words on there, and the conversation between Karkat and Terezi three days after that on 9/2/10 adds one thousand, eight hundred words on top of that. In about two weeks, Andrew Hussie put up over eighty pages with over thirteen thousand words. Dude is a beast!

Radiation
Nov 23, 2010

"you found a fistful of rice-krispies"

Surprise Noodle posted:

I think it started with him ranting about some terrible web ad for Olive Garden on his old blog that probably doesn't even exist anymore.

And, much like everything else he touches, it just spiraled out of control from there.

People on the forums found some delusional new-age spirtuality guy making "soul portraits" that were really just lovely photoshop jobs, and immediately decided that they needed to gather enough money to buy Andrew one. So they gave him the money, but he decided that it would be a waste to use on some hack, and ended up making his own soul portrait that was vastly superior.

Then he decided to use it to go to Olive Garden, but that never happened.

http://andrewhussie.blogspot.com/2010/07/soul-money.html

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
So, if the kids and guardians do, indeed, switch places in the post-Scratch universe, as has been hinted at... won't that mean that we'll have a reverse-Alternia situation in our hands, seeing as the post-Scratch players won't have been generated in that session, but the previous one?

... And I can't get the image of a Bec Scratch out of my head. Excellent dog, best pet. :stare:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That could be the case, but it needn't be. Ectobiology is weird enough that it might well just have happened the other way around in the new session. Or the order in which they arrived on Earth could have been different, or...

There are lots of possibilities here, and there is so much still to do that I'm not too bothered by all the gods and the insane amount of power Jade has now. I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes from here. (I like the idea that we'll be sort of following the new players for a bit with the old cast just popping up in the background once in a while.)

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Having Act 6 be scratched guardian kid-swap Sburb makes the most sense, but this story really doesn't need another reboot with new characters. Plus I really just want the troll meteor to get to the green sun so we can find out what Terezi thinks of Dave's cherry red god tier pajamas.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So it totally makes sense on many levels for PM to be the one to wear the White Queen's ring and fight Jack -- Propsitian vs Dersite; dog vs mailman; etc -- but then why was there all that foreshadowing earlier about WV doing it instead? Y'know, this dream sequence?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

loquacius posted:

So it totally makes sense on many levels for PM to be the one to wear the White Queen's ring and fight Jack -- Propsitian vs Dersite; dog vs mailman; etc -- but then why was there all that foreshadowing earlier about WV doing it instead? Y'know, this dream sequence?

Seems like a textbook fakeout to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

loquacius posted:

The dream sequence could be seen as explaining why he didn't put on the ring and fight when Jack came after him. Too scared of the power.