Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

uglynoodles posted:

I was also 17 at the time when that little exchange happened, so I would deal with the issue very differently now than I did then. Whilst I try not to blame people for their problems, I hadn't really learned that there were limits and boundaries to that. I know much better now.

There's no point in my life where in I would not cut the loving eyes out of someone who betrayed me like that. I almost loving gagged when I read that. Jesus christ.

And by the by the two of you have both turned out to be really really great artists! Is Denise even in any way artistically inclined? Let alone possibly good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

Khazar-khum posted:

It's been said before, but: Mental illnesses. Depression, yes, but also schizophrenic disorders will manifest as general inability to care for oneself.

I guess it's has already been covered but yeah, this is really true. When I was seriously depressed in high school I didn't take care of myself as a form of self-harm instead of cutting and the like. It was, uh, pretty bad, and it's super uncomfortable to remember what I was like during that time. But nobody around me seemed to know/ever told me that it was a sign of mental health issues, so constantly being gross just further reinforced my self-worth issues.

Some people just fail at hygiene because they're lazy, though. And I'm guessing that Denise is one of those people, although she does sound pretty delusional. That thing about sitting by the wall at conventions and moping made me laugh, because you just KNOW that she thought she looked ~*~mysterious~*~ and ~*~alluring~*~ and that some hot dude in a Sephrioth costume was going to go over and chat her up any minute. Any minute now...

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Honestly, poor hygiene in nerds is often a case of both laziness and also a lack of awareness of the problem. Smell is the worst. If you're used to not wearing deodorant or bathing all that often, you literally will not be able to smell your horrible stench. It's like being around someone with perfume; if you hang around them long enough you don't even notice. Except you aren't even able to get away from the smell so that you notice it again because it never leaves you.

Then someone tells you that you smell bad and you can't even tell.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I usually don't follow threads like this, but drat, I'm enthralled. Your artwork is really cool, too! I'd love to see more.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Vicas posted:

Honestly, poor hygiene in nerds is often a case of both laziness and also a lack of awareness of the problem.

I think there's also a low self-esteem problem, having experienced it. It's very easy, when you think of yourself as physically unattractive, to develop a though process of, essentially, 'well, so why should I do more than the bare minimum, it's not like it will help.'

It took me a while to get out of that habit of not caring, though I was never nearly as much of a bastion of filth as the people I have read about on the internet. My family wouldn't allow it, back in high school, for which I am eternally grateful to them.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
The ex I talked about earlier in the thread - her mother had to pay her $1 every time to brush her teeth. At age 19.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Ugh... But I guess given the cost of dental work, I suppose that's better than her not doing it at all...

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Valex posted:

There are insane fans of literally everything, some things just have a higher concentration of them

Take the bible, for instance. If Denise had been into the right whacked-out version of evangelical christianity, she would seem unremarkable in many communities.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?
Anyone who said that Denise wasn't a horrible person before should eat their own words. How hosed up and selfish do you have to be to abandon your homeless starving friend for a goddamn doll?

Uglynoodles, you need a hug. Denise, if you're reading this, you need to be thrown under a tractor, you selfish psychopathic bitch.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Frozen Horse posted:

Take the bible, for instance. If Denise had been into the right whacked-out version of evangelical christianity, she would seem unremarkable in many communities.

I was thinking pretty much this really.

"I am surrounded by anime boys from a parallel universe. They love me deeply and I know that one day they will cross over into our world and take me back to a beautiful fantasyland where I live in a magic sky castle. This is because I am a special snowflake who is a reincarnation of an anime heroine/magical entity/demon-dragon thing. I am also endowed with mystical knowledge of the world beyond."

"I am surrounded by angels from Heaven. They love me deeply and I know that one day God will extend his hand into our world and Rapture me up into his divine kingdom where I will live in joy forevermore. This is because I am Saved and have accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. As a True Believer, I am one of the few who are privy to the Truth about the world beyond."

Of course very few fundamentalist Christians will claim that they carry the astral rape babies of their spooky ghost lovers, so that's where the comparison ends.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

ShadowCatboy posted:

Of course very few fundamentalist Christians will claim that they carry the astral rape babies of their spooky ghost lovers, so that's where the comparison ends.

Not to mention the church encourages bathing. We get enough unwashed bums as it is.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

ShadowCatboy posted:

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

uglynoodles posted:

Silver Chaos for the PC. Her hazubando forever that she totally ditched Sephiroth for is called Adonis. He looks like Sephiroth with a retarded mullet.

Oh christ, I actually know of that one. Never played, just know the name and a little bit about it. (I'm into VNs so I'm at least passingly familiar with a good number of them, even the shittiest ones) Although it wasn't what I was expecting- my money was on some of the more lovely and/or popular ones. (ngl I was secretly hoping it'd be one of the more batshit ones)

Also good god. Denise is such a horrible person. I'm really glad you pulled through all okay uglynoodles.

Your art continues to really impress me with that NPC guy and the dragon. Just wow. I love both the style of those pictures and the less complicated, more silly style of the pictures used in the updates.

Edit: vvvv

quote:

And I'm curious: What kind of doll costs $800? I'm looking and in fact have spent far too much time looking at Volk's USA website and I'm seeing like $350, tops. Not to mention those are all girl dolls and even though yaoi boys are awful girly I hardly think that's the kind of thing you can gloss over for something as highly technical as an interdimensional soul transfer.

The bigger ones do. And I mean the SUPER big ones which are called the Dollfie Dream, especially if it's a limited edition one and/or based off a popular franchise. There's one on the website that's both of those things and is 72,450 yen which would have been around $800 a year or so ago (but would now probably be a grand or something since the yen has inflated a lot this past year). Add in outfits and alternate parts and yeah you're spending an obscene amount of money. Plus, Denise strikes me as dumb enough to fall for buying this stuff on ebay, where they really inflate the prices.

Also, male dollfies do in fact exist. They are extremely effeminate though.

Man I remember at one point I entertained the idea of owning a dollfie since I've always been really into dolls and collecting things (I have a decent-ish porcelain doll collection for instance and have moved onto cheaper, smaller things like nendoroids and other types of figures) but the price is just so ridiculous that the thought's been wiped clear from my head.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 27, 2011

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Lance Streetman posted:

Not to mention the church encourages bathing. We get enough unwashed bums as it is.

In fact, everyone gets a freebie when they join! :haw:

And I'm curious: What kind of doll costs $800? I'm looking and in fact have spent far too much time looking at Volk's USA website and I'm seeing like $350, tops. Not to mention those are all girl dolls and even though yaoi boys are awful girly I hardly think that's the kind of thing you can gloss over for something as highly technical as an interdimensional soul transfer.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

"I am surrounded by angels from Heaven. They love me deeply and I know that one day God will extend his hand into our world and Rapture me up into his divine kingdom where I will live in joy forevermore. This is because I am Saved and have accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. As a True Believer, I am one of the few who are privy to the Truth about the world beyond."

Everything you just posted are staples of Coast 2 Coast AM open lines nights callers.

It's pretty much guaranteed you will hear at least 2-3 different variations on that exact statement in a night.

*including astral/alien/energy babies

Cool Web Paige fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 27, 2011

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

vxskud posted:

Everything you just posted are staples of Coast 2 Coast AM open lines nights callers.

It's pretty much guaranteed you will hear at least 2-3 different variations on that exact statement in a night.

*including astral/alien/energy babies

A little fantasy is fine in moderate doses. It seems like where they cross the line is when people cling to their bizarre fantasy scenarios out of some inherent sense of self-loathing. You guys remember Molatar Seth Pyrargent of ALOD fame?

This was a guy who admitted that he looked like a "portly version of Jeffery Dahmer" and hated his own appearance to the point that he believed his true form was that of some sort of dragon-werewolf thing. Combined with his newfound love for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, Molatar was convinced that with Jesus' Second Coming he and other furries would be transformed into genuine anthromorphic creatures.

On the one hand this sort of batshit crazy was so out there that it was utterly laughable, but at the same time it seemed oh so sad. If only he had some genuine self-confidence, drive, and guidance in life maybe he wouldn't have to devolve to this crazy fantasyland. :smith:

And now for a more lighthearted take on obsessive aspies.

p.s. OP, your art is awesome. I love the goofy images you include and your technique is really good. Hope you have some more work in your portfolio with some good dynamic poses. Poses can be so hard.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

ShadowCatboy posted:

A little fantasy is fine in moderate doses. It seems like where they cross the line is when people cling to their bizarre fantasy scenarios out of some inherent sense of self-loathing.

This is a big part of it. We have a LARP club at my university, and I'll admit it is a good laugh every couple of weeks or so to dress up and spend the evening at the students' union bar that we turn into a mediaeval tavern, and have fun adventures that the refs come up with. Lots of us play typical mediaeval fantasy characters, like big ugly orcs, or monsters, or nerdy mages, or clerics, etc. We don't really talk about it much outside the club, because we know that if you weren't there and don't know much about the game, it'll bore the poo poo out of you.
The trouble comes when people, usually only one or two in each year, devote so much time to it that they end up having more of a life in the fantasy world than in real life. They'll talk about how "my character is going to do this next week," instead of how they're doing. They fall behind on their studies, and then they think they're stupid because they're getting low grades, so they spend even more time in the world where they're an awesome paladin or beautiful elven princess or something. It's a way of coping with stress or difficult things happening in real life, but not a good one to get too deeply into.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

ShadowCatboy posted:

But hell, isn't that what happened to Mary?

Edit: Oh derp, beaten. I was so excited to post that, too. :negative:

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 27, 2011

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Why was George never told what an awful worthless creature his daughter was? Surely he'd stop putting up with her poo poo and maybe kick her out if he knew....

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I can't help but feel a bit that her father should be told, even now. She very clearly needs psychiatric help, and maybe the only person who has any kind of chance of helping her is her father.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I can't help but feel a bit that her father should be told, even now. She very clearly needs psychiatric help, and maybe the only person who has any kind of chance of helping her is her father.

I'm pretty sure he knows, but psychiatric help is expensive, and there is a lot to fix there. If he doesn't have insanely good health insurance (many health insurance plans have a very low coverage cap on mental health issues) then there is little he can do unless he is able to pay hundreds of dollars a week for therapy and meds. I don't see her getting any help unless she attempts suicide, and even then she will be held in a mental hospital for a few days and released with a bunch of medication that may or may not help if she takes it.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
In high school I had a crazy friend sort of like Denise, but she didn't give a poo poo about anime, she was just the battiest Anne Rice fangirl ever. She started off as crazy but fun to hang out with, but quickly went batshit insane through high school. By senior year, she thought she was a vampire/werewolf/demon, however the gently caress that works. She wound up dropping out of school halfway through her senior year and running off to Seattle to be with a dragon. I have SO MANY STORIES.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Stottie Kyek posted:

We don't really talk about it much outside the club

The first rule of LARP club is we don't talk about LARP club.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
As always, Neil Gaiman provides some insight. But I don't think even he can turn the crazy Otakukin parallel universe bullshit into something appealing...

...Unless of course it was a story about Denise being right all along, and she gets whisked away by Sephiroth into a warzone in the FFVII universe where she gets shot, flung hundreds of feet into the air shrieking in terror, and caught on his motorbike while he's going at 200 mph. Eventually after a series of horrible brushes with death and near-mutilation she says "gently caress this poo poo" and comes back from her crazy Japanese Narnia and gets on with her normal life.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I think it's safe to say that the human brain is a messed up meat-machine that just plain breaks a lot, and I'm relieved that even in the worst depths of my own nerd-dom I never lost the ability to tell fantasy from reality.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Third Murderer posted:

I think it's safe to say that the human brain is a messed up meat-machine that just plain breaks a lot, and I'm relieved that even in the worst depths of my own nerd-dom I never lost the ability to tell fantasy from reality.

Well, you don't think you have.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Katsudon posted:

Edit: vvvv

The bigger ones do. And I mean the SUPER big ones which are called the Dollfie Dream, especially if it's a limited edition one and/or based off a popular franchise. There's one on the website that's both of those things and is 72,450 yen which would have been around $800 a year or so ago (but would now probably be a grand or something since the yen has inflated a lot this past year). Add in outfits and alternate parts and yeah you're spending an obscene amount of money. Plus, Denise strikes me as dumb enough to fall for buying this stuff on ebay, where they really inflate the prices.

Also, male dollfies do in fact exist. They are extremely effeminate though.

Man I remember at one point I entertained the idea of owning a dollfie since I've always been really into dolls and collecting things (I have a decent-ish porcelain doll collection for instance and have moved onto cheaper, smaller things like nendoroids and other types of figures) but the price is just so ridiculous that the thought's been wiped clear from my head.

$800 is the base price. That gets you a doll blank from a mold, possibly with no face. It will have no hair, eyes, or any kind of painting. It will even still have the mold lines from the manufacturing of it.

So you have to choose a face ($25 & up), eyes ($20 & up), hair ($25 & up). You either have to sand/dremel the mold lines smooth or pay someone to do it for you. As for the face painting (eyebrows, lips, cheeks) you must do it yourself or have someone at the factory do it for you ($45 & up).

By the time you are done you are out a grand, and all you have to show for it is a naked doll.

My Aunt & Sister collect dolls. My sister has a Dollfie($1300) and a Jace($2K). Jace is made by a Korean company, Soom, I believe. He is big--24" or thereabouts.

They are striking when done up, dressed, and displayed, but drat are they expensive.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
So wait, Denise has to customize them herself? With clothes, hair, and eyes?

Given what we've heard of her art and cosplay, I'd love to see this abomination for myself.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

...Unless of course it was a story about Denise being right all along, and she gets whisked away by Sephiroth into a warzone in the FFVII universe where she gets shot, flung hundreds of feet into the air shrieking in terror, and caught on his motorbike while he's going at 200 mph. Eventually after a series of horrible brushes with death and near-mutilation she says "gently caress this poo poo" and comes back from her crazy Japanese Narnia and gets on with her normal life.

I would read this story.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Denise the Famous Manga-ka

Denise was altogether convinced that she was going to be a famous artist. She never outright said that she was better than me, but heavily implied it on several occasions. She would non-stop praise her own work constantly, and would rage out if any criticism was offered, no matter how constructive. She hounded me to draw things for her constantly and would whine when I didn't deliver.

She had some convoluted plot she wanted to transform into a yaoi comic and hit me up for the task. It was upwards of 100 pages. When I remained unmoved by her extolling the virtues of this certain masterpiece and it became clear that I would, in fact, charge for my services in rendering this no doubt sure-fire seller instead of settling for "royalties" of an indeterminate percentage after a certain number of sales -- which is what she suggested -- she set about moping and whining that it would never be created.

I made some money off of freelancing some time ago and during a long jobless spell, that was how I managed to live. Denise was incredibly jealous of this although she never admitted it, and began to draw the comic herself. I have yet to see the character designs or a single completed page.

I found some of her artwork, however. This is quite recent.

She is open for commissions. :toot:

I know where I cropped it looks suspicious, but he's actually just holding a sign that says 'Happy Birthday <Internet Friend>'
I have one other picture I found of hers, but it has a story to go along with it. A long story.

My Father is Vegeta

Short, and simple. Denise believes George is Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z because he has dark hair and a high widow's peak. Fact.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Third Murderer posted:

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, you don't think you have.

I-I'm sorry, but Trace Memory and Ghost Trick...they never existed. You made it all up in your head. We tried to humor you, because we didn't want you to turn violent. I'm so sorry you had to find out.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Her art is honestly a lot less lovely than I expected.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

There are not enough :glomp: 's in the world to make up for what you guys had to deal with.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Really? That's pretty much precisely as lovely as I expected it to be. That's the general level of poo poo you'll get to if you draw with any regularity without ever learning to draw (and you draw anime.)

Honestly, I'm disappointed it's not worse.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Really? That's pretty much precisely as lovely as I expected it to be. That's the general level of poo poo you'll get to if you draw with any regularity without ever learning to draw (and you draw anime.)

I've just known a loooot of "I'm totally going to be a mangaka~ kawaii neku desu!!!" weeaboos with really, really lovely art.

sarsbar
Oct 16, 2007

GA: Yes Your Shout Pole Is Like A Tower Broadcasting Your Fear Across The Ring And You Are Right To Be Afraid
I was expecting lovely on the Chris-Chan level or, even worse, the Buckley level. It's still poo poo though--the mediocre kind that gets praised on Deviant Art, even though it's glaringly obvious that the "artiste" has no discipline, no dedication, and doesn't care one straw about technique or studying anatomy. It's the kind of poo poo that doesn't simply die hard, oh no; it will never go away, because there will always be some pea-brained 13 year-olds telling you that it's "OMG KAWAII SO AWESUM!"

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Khazar-khum posted:

dollfie stuff

Whoa poo poo, it's worse than I thought. I was going off of the new Type-Moon dollfies they're coming out with rather than the plain bases. I had no idea just the bases themselves were that much, Christ. :psyduck: They look really nice but the price is just crazy.

That recent drawing of Denise's has me laughing my rear end off.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, it's definitely poo poo, cobbled together cliches from various animes with no sense of style or grasp of anatomy, and probably copied from somewhere too, but at least it's not done in mspaint with a mouse. It's kind of pathetic that I'm willing to give it that much, but just having seen all those pixelated, barely discernable Sailor Moons and Sonic clones makes me a little more forgiving than I should be.

What are those things coming out of his back, anyway?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
She's mediocre at being mediocre. It's kind of sad, really. If it was terrible, at least it would make an impression. You can't make fun of it, it's so boring and cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

King of Solomon posted:

I was expecting more Sonichu or Malatora level stuff.

• Locked thread