Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOORAY
Jul 13, 2001

USDA Choice posted:

Tangentially related; Anyone here know how to apply or start the process for the American Institute in Taiwan? Seeing as how it's a non-profit company not in State I'd imagine it's different, however what I've googled so far has just been about spouses of AIT staff

Echoing "it's the same process." AIT is an "Institute" in name only. In all other respects it is a U.S. Embassy. The naming is due to US/China relations in regards to Taiwan's political status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOORAY
Jul 13, 2001

Skandiaavity posted:

Yeah, I have been in final review for pretty much a month now. Clearances are all set. The paperwork, shall we say, was "delayed." Although I was ready to go since July :P

Waiting on 124th class if/when they announce it.

It looks like there is going to be an A-100 class in November so maybe they'll schedule an FSS class as well. Have also heard rumors of a January class, so there's that too.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

HOORAY posted:

Echoing "it's the same process." AIT is an "Institute" in name only. In all other respects it is a U.S. Embassy. The naming is due to US/China relations in regards to Taiwan's political status.

My A-100's answer to any question we didn't know was "We have a One-China policy."

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
I have 2 holidays this week. Hells yes

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

HOORAY posted:

It looks like there is going to be an A-100 class in November so maybe they'll schedule an FSS class as well. Have also heard rumors of a January class, so there's that too.

Yeah, I've heard the same thing. Right now I'm just playing the waiting game since I believe HR or whomever makes the decision is probably getting a ton of calls from other folks. Browsing the yahoo boards some people were calling like, twice a week and stating it was "Showing restraint" :psypop:

HOORAY
Jul 13, 2001

We got our top choice. Going to Chisinau, Moldova! Departure date is end of November. Um, time to buy some winter clothes!

:v::hf::drac:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

HOORAY posted:

We got our top choice. Going to Chisinau, Moldova! Departure date is end of November. Um, time to buy some winter clothes!

Nice! Congrats!

War Pig
Nov 14, 2007

Civilization is crumbling.
What's the median age of entry-level FSOs? I am asking out of curiosity. I am very interested in this as a future career track, but I'm only a permanent resident and not liable to naturalize until I'm about 29 or 30. Age will not deter me one way or the other, but it's just a question that popped into my mind.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

War Pig posted:

What's the median age of entry-level FSOs? I am asking out of curiosity. I am very interested in this as a future career track, but I'm only a permanent resident and not liable to naturalize until I'm about 29 or 30. Age will not deter me one way or the other, but it's just a question that popped into my mind.

Mid-to-late-20s to early-30s seems the norm. That said, as long as you are younger than 59 1/2, you qualify on the age front. This isn't something to worry about.

HOORAY
Jul 13, 2001

War Pig posted:

I think I read in Career Diplomacy it's 32.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

HOORAY posted:

Hell to the yeah, that's awesome!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Uhg being sick sucks when you're flying solo.

Also, living in a town where English isn't spoken or understood, is a new experience.

Thankfully 8 weeks of Portuguese was enough to be able to go places and get food, etc.

Edit: Med says test came back positive for strep throat. First 2 weekends at Post... sick as poo poo.

TCD fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 15, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Hey HOORAY, my A-100 classmate will be joining you out there in 2013.

In other news, I'm sensing a running trend involving me going TDY and wild animals:

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

Hey HOORAY, my A-100 classmate will be joining you out there in 2013.

In other news, I'm sensing a running trend involving me going TDY and wild animals:

You should have stuck your tongue out, as well. (Like the cheetah.)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Business of Ferrets posted:

You should have stuck your tongue out, as well. (Like the cheetah.)

I totally didn't know the cheetah was doing that until I saw the picture later.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

So, anyone thinking about bidding Tripoli? Cable is out soliciting. A Baghdad buddy of mine suggested we both go, but I'm all booked up for the next five years :japan:

Here's an idea to chew on: how great would it be to find a smallish CG somewhere and fill it with all your friends. If it were far enough off the radar, could be the best assignment ever. . . .

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

A Goonsulate General, perhaps. . . .

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

So, anyone thinking about bidding Tripoli? Cable is out soliciting. A Baghdad buddy of mine suggested we both go, but I'm all booked up for the next five years :japan:

Here's an idea to chew on: how great would it be to find a smallish CG somewhere and fill it with all your friends. If it were far enough off the radar, could be the best assignment ever. . . .

Sorry I'm busy suffering through this hardship assignment.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

I know somebody who was TDY there and said they only got shot at once, and he bought a really neat mug.

Unfortunately I think I'm required to go skiing in the Alps before I can leave :(

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Vilerat posted:

Sorry I'm busy suffering through this hardship assignment.

I know, I know. . . .

My language class is in the same hallway as a bunch of the Dari classes. The other day, the Dari students learned the words for "plot" and "conspirator," while my Japan-bound colleagues and I had yet another unit on how to politely accept an invitation to a party/ski trip/restaurant/hot spring resort.

And I'm OK with that.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
BOF, did they decide where to place you yet? Tokyo?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

BOF, did they decide where to place you yet? Tokyo?

Yup, Tokyo via a year in Yokohama. :keke:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

I'd do it if I were bidding before summer. And yeah, something like APP Mombasa with three or four friends would be awesome (though Mombasa is now a single person APP split time between there and Nairobi, from what I hear)

maeungochu
Oct 3, 2011
I've been thinking about getting examined for an ADHD diagnosis. I know this is an automatic rejection for a lot of jobs, such as military officers, but how does State and its FSO program view this? I've had a TS/SCI clearance since '02 and I've always had the mental health section completely void of anything other than no's.... Would this be detrimental for future clearance reviews?

mute
Jul 17, 2004

maeungochu posted:

I've been thinking about getting examined for an ADHD diagnosis. I know this is an automatic rejection for a lot of jobs, such as military officers, but how does State and its FSO program view this? I've had a TS/SCI clearance since '02 and I've always had the mental health section completely void of anything other than no's.... Would this be detrimental for future clearance reviews?

I'm pretty sure that ADHD isn't something that factors into clearance reviews for DoS (if it is, I'm going to end up having an issue when someone looks at my paperwork)... isn't it illegal to discriminate based on something like this?

You should/can email them to find out for sure though.

mute fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 24, 2011

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

maeungochu posted:

Not sure, but in any case you should take care of your health first and worry about the rest later.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Not sure, but in any case you should take care of your health first and worry about the rest later.

Does everyone need to be hired on as Class 1 medical? I don't remember.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Homie S posted:

Does everyone need to be hired on as Class 1 medical? I don't remember.

I believe they need one to start, but can go to a Class 2 later. EFM hiring is probably different.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Congratulations to TCD who has rediscovered a lost art. Insulting people using Q&Z signals.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

Congratulations to TCD who has rediscovered a lost art. Insulting people using Q&Z signals.

:911:

Yeah, I went there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Q&Z?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Q&Z?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACP-131

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TCD posted:

:911:

Yeah, I went there.

ZBM2?

It's the only mildly insulting one I could find on Wikipedia.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

This might be a little far afield for the thread, but do any of you have experience with/know anything about the Rangel International Affairs Program? I'm in the middle of graduate school applications right now, and something like a third of the programs I'm looking at meet their criteria, while some of the others are sort of borderline. Most of my top choices are two year programs with an option to petition for a switch to the PhD program at the end of the first year, which is what I'd like to do. Would it be worth applying for the fellowship anyway, on the off chance I'm only accepted to one of the few it's overtly compatible with? Are they at all flexible about these requirements?

Any input is much appreciated.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

ZBM2?

It's the only mildly insulting one I could find on Wikipedia.

I'm sure it was, it's everybody's favorite Q/Z Signal. QRT, QRZ, ZDK, and ZFK (Stop sending, start sending, resend, and acknowledge receipt respectively) were really the only ones still in common use at the time TERP was retired, but they're not nearly as fun.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'm sure it was, it's everybody's favorite Q/Z Signal. QRT, QRZ, ZDK, and ZFK (Stop sending, start sending, resend, and acknowledge receipt respectively) were really the only ones still in common use at the time TERP was retired, but they're not nearly as fun.
TERP... I miss you, you big temperamental bastard.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
gently caress yeah. 174.85 on the MC and a 10 on the essay. Time to start my PNQs.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Tyro posted:

gently caress yeah. 174.85 on the MC and a 10 on the essay. Time to start my PNQs.

God drat son...

Scores not as high, but I passed. Onto the PNQs and time to really look into the Mustang program.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Gratz! Both of you!

I'm getting ready to go on leave back to the states for a month. loving owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Thanks man. We still going to the range with Whip?