Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm pretty stoked actually. I really didnt like IV. It felt like a downgrade coming off the awesomeness of SA.

In fact, this thread made me want to play some GTA again, so I popped in IV, got through the first mission, remembered how annoying it was, popped it out, and started SA from the beginning for like the 9th time now.

I know I may be in the minority, but IV was a pretty big letdown to me.

It's almost like GTA4 was on a new engine and new consoles or something instead of the result of several years and several games worth of refining and improving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I know the assumption is bigger map = better but that's not always true gameplay-wise. I mean people are bitching here about dying in GTAIV and then having to drive three minutes all over again.

Imagine if it were three hours in traffic.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Knightmare posted:

I know the assumption is bigger map = better but that's not always true gameplay-wise. I mean people are bitching here about dying in GTAIV and then having to drive three minutes all over again.

Would make for some impressive endurance racing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Knightmare posted:

Imagine blowing up a 3 hour traffic backup from a stolen jet or helicopter.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

trandorian posted:

Imagine blowing up a 3 hour traffic backup from a stolen jet or helicopter.

Only if the Vulture has an aiming reticule. That was something about GTA IV that bugged me.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Knightmare posted:

I thought San Andreas was too big v:shobon:v

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's almost like GTA4 was on a new engine and new consoles or something instead of the result of several years and several games worth of refining and improving

Its almost like the fun-factor of GTA is something they have been perfecting for the better part of a decade, and should translate throughout any engine on any console. A new engine on a new console has nothing to do with it.

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly

Iacen posted:

Same.

The journeys were massive.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Still laughing at the fact that the central Imperial province, the center of the world and society in Tamriel, is only a few square miles bigger than GTA:SA

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

El Patron posted:

Same.

The journeys were massive.

Yeah cuz they made the routes between cities all windy and poo poo.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Iacen posted:

Yea I felt it was on the brink of it, where driving from one city to another was almost a chore. It'd be weird if the cities were right next to each other though, and they had to put those small towns somewhere.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I thought one of the best things they did in RDR was making things look like they're waaaaaaay far away when actually it wasn't that bad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I thought one of the best things they did in RDR was making things look like they're waaaaaaay far away when actually it wasn't that bad.
RDR's vistas were really, really pretty.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iacen posted:

San Andreas was just the right size. I thought the driving times between places were pretty accurate to real life, and I didn't mind them because you had all sorts of cool vehicles to drive. Taking a jetpack from San Fierro to Las Venturas was pretty fantastic. And you got to see all the cool scenery along the way.

Like if I had come out of Los Santos and immediately been in San Fierro, it would've felt weird. I loved having small towns and wooded areas and mountains and whatnot to break it up. Then when I got to the new city, it really felt like I had progressed into some entirely different area.

It always seemed like Rockstar got that right to me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

As long as they give the main character Rico's grappling hooks and parachute from Just Cause 2 they can make the map as big as they want.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Throw me in the San Andreas was too big camp. I thought III had the perfect size.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 27, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd really like a game with San Andreas countryside sized areas separating GTA IV Liberty City (without Alderney) sized cities. For a game with one city, IV's Liberty City is a good size, but if we have three cities again, knocking Alderney off is a good size for each one.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It's funny how everyone has completely different ideas on what sizes they find the cities to bearable. I find both San Andreas and IV to be too big, for completely different reasons.

Every time I play a mission in IV and end up taking a mission that takes me from one end of the map to other, I just slap my head because I really, REALLY don't want to drive that far and try to take a cab.

I seem to be a huge outlier in that I don't think bigger is better in any sense. I had no problem with this in Red Dead Redemption because it has fast travel, though.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
4 bad fast travel!

SA was great I muss say! I jus hope 5 blows us away entirely

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

trandorian posted:

I'd love to see LCS and VCS released on PC/360.

Oh man, yes.

Himuro posted:

Get rare car from mission.

Park it outside on curb.

Car disappears.

Thanks, Rockstar!

Turning the engine off stopped that for me. Even waited once to see if a cop bringing in a suspect on foot would take my car (for which he would have been shot in the face, of course) when he moved right up to it, but nope. Only thing that can go wrong is if someone crashes into your car so hard that it moves out of the parking space. Like, every taxi driver bringing you back to your digs (for which you shoot them in the face, of course).

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Vice City was too big? I always thought it was smaller than GTA 3. Probably due to the fact the landscape for Vice City was simple.. Oh and no hills. (still love you VC)

I wouldn't mind going back to something like GTA 3. That was my big gripe with GTA IV. Goddamn it felt huge. There was a time that I decided to 100% IV (never did finish it to this day) What kept me from doing so was it felt like a chore. It wasn't fun. Especially those goddamn hangouts. I wonder if the game did it on purpose. Oh hey we have a 2nd house now, Roman should be there right? Nope, back on the first island with you.

And then they have the nerve bitch I was an hour late. I was driving thru traffic you gently caress!

edit: No you want to know what's the worst thing that has happened to me in IV? First time because I didn't knew this was going to happen. Roman calls because he's hiding. Okay I"ll drive with my rare car to the spot. (dumb move I'll admit) Hmm alright just park it next to his car. Cut scene ensues.. Wait what happen to my car? IT was right there! Oh goddamn it rockstar!

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 27, 2011

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Shindragon posted:

And then they have the nerve bitch I was an hour late. I was driving thru traffic you gently caress!

Or they'd call you up, demand you hang out, demand you come pick them up and drive them round and do things and then take them back home. Niko knew a lot of dickheads didn't he.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

thebardyspoon posted:

Or they'd call you up, demand you hang out, demand you come pick them up and drive them round and do things and then take them back home. Niko knew a lot of dickheads didn't he.

The Mick's sister who would never give up the punani was funny.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DrPain posted:

The Mick's sister who would never give up the punani was funny.

Indeed it was. What got me about that was how apparently Niko gives a poo poo about her in the ending. That was probably the only weakest part of the game. I hate to sound cold hearted but I didn't give a drat about her. She barely had any interactions with you. A few cutscenes but that's it. It didn't establish anything. I wonder if they just threw that in because they could't think of someone else.

Much as it pains me to say, I always took the other route. That actually felt a more proper ending.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shindragon posted:

Vice City was too big?

I meant San Andreas, and I agree with all of that. IV is too big that it's a chore, San Andreas isn't a chore but it'd take forever to get where you wanted. III is nice and spacious without being too overbearing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought if I posted that III was too big I would have to defend it, well I'm surprised.

If they just remade the map from III with a sick engine and a ton of interiors I think I would never put the game down.

Then they could.... make that tunnel accessible!

EDIT: Oh poo poo wasn't it accessible in Libery City Stories and underwhelming?

Also, as I'm typing a shallow post... I think moving up to Five would be substantial if they got snow working good. Could be a really fun element.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 27, 2011

LA attack
Apr 5, 2009

...But Awesome Takes Practice
Reading some of your guys' posts makes me really nostalgic for San Andreas. I don't think GTA IV was bad at all, I thought the physics engine made the game almost endlessly repayable. In-terms of getting bothered to hang out with my in-game pals: I never really felt like that was a problem either.

I guess what I mean to say is that if they're able to take some of the features from San Andreas and cram them into the new engine it would be amazing. The multiple cities/countrysides, airplanes and jets, maybe even bringing back car customization or if I may be so bold: the jetpack. Even the monster truck and hovercraft were really cool vehicles that sometimes are overlooked by fans but were really cool additions.

Also I don't think there hasn't been a problem with the size of the maps for any of the Grand Theft Auto games. I think they have kept a good mix of different types of urban areas in GTA IV and there isn't really a lot of wasted space. My only complaint is the lack of interactivity with some of the locations on the map: there should be a bank robbing mini-game when you visit the bank and there should be a jailbreak mini-game when you visit the jail.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Dave posted:

I thought if I posted that III was too big I would have to defend it, well I'm surprised.

If they just remade the map from III with a sick engine and a ton of interiors I think I would never put the game down.

Also, as I'm typing a shallow post... I think moving up to Five would be substantial if they got snow working good. Could be a really fun element.

Speaking of snow. Either I"m remembering something wrong, but wasn't in SA when CJ goes back to LC for one mission, it had snow? (it didn't snow though I remember that)

Would love to see snow in a factor. Oh man just imagine getting chased down by cops in the snow. That would be a bitch.

edit: drat it I have work today. Quit trying to make me pop in GTA 3 you guys!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Shindragon posted:

Speaking of snow. Either I"m remembering something wrong, but wasn't in SA when CJ goes back to LC for one mission, it had snow? (it didn't snow though I remember that)

Would love to see snow in a factor. Oh man just imagine getting chased down by cops in the snow. That would be a bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHt3c-3K44

Merry christmas :3:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Shindragon posted:

Yup when CJ takes the plane over everything is covered in snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLGzXWmlwCg

It's probably the only plot point I remember from San Andreas.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Mafia 2 has the best realized snow effects for a open world game to date.
For all the horrible mess that that game ended up being the city itself and the snow where great.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Himuro posted:

I meant San Andreas, and I agree with all of that. IV is too big that it's a chore, San Andreas isn't a chore but it'd take forever to get where you wanted. III is nice and spacious without being too overbearing.

What San Andreas needed was less missions where you had to drive all the way from Fierro to Santos or stuff like that. And also to make using the airports easier, and to have IV's autosave.

I spent so much time in San Andreas having to backtrack what felt like forever to get to a safehouse from a mission end when I hadn't been able to buy a closer safehouse.

The Dave posted:

The Tunnel just ends midway to "Upstate" and is boring. The III-era games would have been a lot nicer with GTA IV interiors that don't require loading a different map to walk inside. And yeah, III had like 8 buildings total you could actually go in

One thing I have to say is it's easy to have a map feel too big in a bad way if there's no good fast direct routes between places. Shoreside Vale in III was particularly bad for that.

Tommy Calamari
Feb 25, 2006

You see, there are three things that spur the mollusk from the sand
There is a mod that increases the draw distance in San Andreas, and it makes you realise that the map is smaller than it seems.

This is me standing on a building in Los Santos and looking towards San Fierro.

San Andreas was the pinnacle of the series for me. The only thing from IV that I miss in San Andreas is rag-doll physics.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tommy Calamari posted:

There is a mod that increases the draw distance in San Andreas, and it makes you realise that the map is smaller than it seems.

This is me standing on a building in Los Santos and looking towards San Fierro.

San Andreas was the pinnacle of the series for me. The only thing from IV that I miss in San Andreas is rag-doll physics.

That just reminded me how bland and undetailed outlying areas in SA are.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That is one thing I did enjoy about the GTA IV series. The animations and rag dolls. Probably my favorite was when you kill an enemy, they will sometimes survive it. Haha yeah, I'm taking your shot-wait are you still moving?! Also given them extra lines was a neat touch. The biker gang went from bad rear end to aw man please don't kill me!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

trandorian posted:

That just reminded me how bland and undetailed outlying areas in SA are.

To be fair, a lot of stuff didn't render in that screenshot; small huts and stuff.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, the trailer park, gas station/truck depot, farm, and trees didn't render there. The screenshot misses a lot of the neat little areas in there. For me San Andreas really was the perfect size. The only problem was San Fierro being no fun to cruise around in.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Shindragon posted:

That is one thing I did enjoy about the GTA IV series. The animations and rag dolls. Probably my favorite was when you kill an enemy, they will sometimes survive it. Haha yeah, I'm taking your shot-wait are you still moving?! Also given them extra lines was a neat touch. The biker gang went from bad rear end to aw man please don't kill me!

That was a thing that got to me about GTA4. The ragdolls were great and watching people flail around as you pushed them and shot them in their extremities was funny, but when you actually kill someone it feels cold, not especially fun. It's fine killing thugs and other criminals, even gang members who pull guns on you if you shoot near them, but killing cops and pedestrians didn't feel right at all.

Obviously I wasn't going to weep for the poor orphaned children and widowed wives of the cops, but I did feel pretty crappy about leaving some dude just doing his job graphically writhing around in a pool of his own blood until he finally, mercifully, expired.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Indeed it was. What got me about that was how apparently Niko gives a poo poo about her in the ending. That was probably the only weakest part of the game. I hate to sound cold hearted but I didn't give a drat about her. She barely had any interactions with you. A few cutscenes but that's it. It didn't establish anything. I wonder if they just threw that in because they could't think of someone else.

Much as it pains me to say, I always took the other route. That actually felt a more proper ending.

I might have given a poo poo about her if she had a friend ability like all the other friends/girlfriends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Found a trailer for the upcoming GTA V trailer. :downsrim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMPwsUey0U0

• Locked thread