Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
This picture is from an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver.. they apparently have issues that are not a question of if you'll have it, but when you'll have it.. I started taking stuff apart in preparation for replacing the caps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U) and saw whats pictured below. Initially I thought it was a blown cap, but with the way it is over the empty socket and how it seems to be stuck it might be glue?

What do you think, blown or leaky cap or glue?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6057508/IMG_0331.JPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Avocadoes posted:

I have a set of 6GB DDR3 RAM sticks by Gskill which are supposed to run at 1600mhz but are running at 533mhz. For whatever reason my P6X58D-E motherboard by ASUS seems to hate these guys running any faster. Apparently it's a pain in the arse to fix and I still haven't given enough time to solve it because I really don't wish to modify those settings manually unless I know what I'm doing.

I've had the setup like this for a year. Here's the question, since i'm such a lazy goon: Am I having a huge performance hit by running at 533mhz instead of 1600mhz?

That's DDR3-1066. DDR3-1600 is not 1600 MHz, but 1600 MT (mega-transfers) per second. It operates on an 800 MHz I/O bus.

You're probably not missing out much. It's triple-channel RAM, you've got plenty of bandwidth. But kicking it up what it's rated can't hurt.

Also, MHz is conflated with MT/s because it's easier to market, as that's a technically-correct-but-not-really-important distinction. But the MT/s is double the rate of the Memory I/O Bus clock in MHz, which in turn is quadruple the rate of the memory clock. And then data rate is MT/s * 80/10, and other than ten times 8bit/10bit encoding, I'm not sure where that number comes from exactly.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 24, 2011

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Avocadoes posted:

I have a set of 6GB DDR3 RAM sticks by Gskill which are supposed to run at 1600mhz but are running at 533mhz. For whatever reason my P6X58D-E motherboard by ASUS seems to hate these guys running any faster. Apparently it's a pain in the arse to fix and I still haven't given enough time to solve it because I really don't wish to modify those settings manually unless I know what I'm doing.

I've had the setup like this for a year. Here's the question, since i'm such a lazy goon: Am I having a huge performance hit by running at 533mhz instead of 1600mhz?
Also, to clarify/add to what other people said: Intel only rates the processor for DDR3-1066 in triple-channel, so to get faster speeds you would be overclocking. Chances are it would work fine, but its not holding your performance back right now.

Danith posted:

This picture is from an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver.. they apparently have issues that are not a question of if you'll have it, but when you'll have it.. I started taking stuff apart in preparation for replacing the caps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj0x5S9ez5U) and saw whats pictured below. Initially I thought it was a blown cap, but with the way it is over the empty socket and how it seems to be stuck it might be glue?

Looks like glue but it's hard to tell. Look at the end of the cap to see if it's bulging up or the vent has blown.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 24, 2011

Danith
May 20, 2006

Alereon posted:

Also, to clarify/add to what other people said: Intel only rates the processor for DDR3-1066 in triple-channel, so to get faster speeds you would be overclocking. Chances are it would work fine, but its not holding your performance back right now.
Looks like glue but it's hard to tell. Look at the end of the cap to see if it's bulging up or the vent has blown.

Not bulging and not vented but I haven't seen that place glued down on any of the vids or pictures I saw.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Danith posted:

I have this receiver. Do you have any more information on this issue?

Danith
May 20, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I have this receiver. Do you have any more information on this issue?

Internet links for reference of the issue –

http://www.highdefforum.com/997541-post8.html -“...Unfortunately, there was apparently a bad batch of 606's that were released. The problem is with the HDMI daughterboard in the AVR. Mine was not the only one at the repair shop either. There were two others with the same problem on the counter when I dropped mine off.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJKBmXMbBo – “ONKYO TX-SR606 HDMI Video Switching Issues ”

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1195034 – “Onkyo TX-SR606 BAD HDMI BOARD? No OSD”

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1367654-onkyo_tx_sr606_hdmi_output_issues -“HDMI switching is an ongoing problem for the 606. A number of people are having the same problem. Mine is at the local repair shop and Onkyo has told them the part is on backorder until April. I would look at another brand or upgrade to a higher leval[sic] Onkyo”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Has anyone tried an Accelero S1 Rev2 VGA cooler on a Radeon HD 6870? My stock fan is pretty loud even at idle (I think there's actually something wrong with it) and I'd love to switch it with something quieter. I have an Accelero S1 that I bought two years ago and haven't really used, but it supposedly fits the 6870. Their website said I'd need the fan addon which I obviously would get, or at least ziptie a few fans to the front of the heatsink.

I'm just curious to see whether anyone has tried this here. Google results are mostly people asking about running this FANLESS which I obviously wouldn't attempt.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
From what I've read the S1 Rev2 should fit, assuming it's a reference 6870. You'd need VRM/RAM sinks (pick up one of the Accelero heatsink kits on amazon). I wouldn't try using an S1 on something like a 6950/6970, but it should work fine for a 6870 if you already have the cooler on-hand. When you're swapping the cooler, either use non-conductive TIM like AC Ceramique/MX-4, or just be extremely careful as GPU have exposed resistors/caps and can short out if you're using AS5 or whatever.

For the fans you could either use their "turbo" module fan add-on, or just get 1-2 fans to zip-tie to the S1. If you want low-profile (<25mm) fans for the project, check our performance-pcs or http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ .

According to the technical specs on mwave the S1 is officially compatible with the 6870:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?px=FO&scriteria=AA77256

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 25, 2011

MrBisco
Sep 28, 2001

I GUESS I'M STILL A BIT TOO JEW-DEFENSIVE
With 11.11.11 just around the corner, I'm looking to upgrade my box to play Skyrim. I'm mostly concerned about my video card situation.

I currently have a 1GB Sapphire Radeon 5670, overclocking to 890Mhz with no problems. That said, I have no idea if this on its own is going to be sufficient to have a good gameplay experience in Skyrim.

If I need to upgrade, I want to do so for as low-cost a solution as possible. Would it be worth the money to buy a second identical card and set them up for Crossfire? Would it make more sense to spend a bundle more and buy a faster single card? I'd obviously prefer the first to the second.

Thanks for the help.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm trying to run a Shoutcast server on a Supermicro board without an audio chip.

Is there a virtual audio driver I can use or am I going to have to pick up a cheap PCI sound card?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

MrBisco posted:

With 11.11.11 just around the corner, I'm looking to upgrade my box to play Skyrim. I'm mostly concerned about my video card situation.

I currently have a 1GB Sapphire Radeon 5670, overclocking to 890Mhz with no problems. That said, I have no idea if this on its own is going to be sufficient to have a good gameplay experience in Skyrim.

If I need to upgrade, I want to do so for as low-cost a solution as possible. Would it be worth the money to buy a second identical card and set them up for Crossfire? Would it make more sense to spend a bundle more and buy a faster single card? I'd obviously prefer the first to the second.

Thanks for the help.

I found this review on Guru3D with crossfire 5670's:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5670-review-test-crossfire/9

5670's have really anemic performance compared to even a 5770/6770 (half the number of shader pipelines/texture units/raster operators), and crossfire will only gain you slightly below the performance of a single 5770.

Unless you can get the second 5670 for free, it's not really worth it.

Your best bet is to grab a 6850/6870 or 560 (non-ti) depending on how much you want to spend, and sell the 5670. If you have access to a FS/FT forum you might be able to snag a 460 or 5850 for $100-$160.

Even a used 4870 wouldn't be a bad performer for cheap, minus DX11 effects.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I stupidly bought my father headphones as a present before checking if his amp even has a headphone jack. It does not. As I understand hooking them up to the speaker outs will blow them so are there any adapters you can get so they can be used?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Monitor out from receiver(RCA cables)->headphone amp->headphones

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dogen posted:

Monitor out from receiver(RCA cables)->headphone amp->headphones

Unfortunately it's a 2-channel amp so there is no monitor out. Any other ideas?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Line out from the source, then? (cd player or whatever)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dogen posted:

Line out from the source, then? (cd player or whatever)

Cd player only has one output pair. However I noticed that the amp has two pairs of rca for Tape, Dat and something else. These are labeled as 'play' and 'record'. The play ones work as inputs (as I have an rca to headphone cable attached to one) is there a chance that the record ones will work as outs?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It's possible, depending on the unit. Another option would be getting a couple of these- http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B003L1AGVS/ref=aw_d_crstars_electronics

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

grumperfish posted:

From what I've read the S1 Rev2 should fit, assuming it's a reference 6870. You'd need VRM/RAM sinks (pick up one of the Accelero heatsink kits on amazon). I wouldn't try using an S1 on something like a 6950/6970, but it should work fine for a 6870 if you already have the cooler on-hand. When you're swapping the cooler, either use non-conductive TIM like AC Ceramique/MX-4, or just be extremely careful as GPU have exposed resistors/caps and can short out if you're using AS5 or whatever.

For the fans you could either use their "turbo" module fan add-on, or just get 1-2 fans to zip-tie to the S1. If you want low-profile (<25mm) fans for the project, check our performance-pcs or http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ .

According to the technical specs on mwave the S1 is officially compatible with the 6870:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SKUSearch.asp?px=FO&scriteria=AA77256

Thanks for this. Their site also says it's compatible with the 6870, but I wasn't sure whether I should take that as compatible as in "you will be able to achieve good cooling with this product" or "compatible" as in "ehhhhhhhh it'll fit but.."

Sounds like it'll be okay though. I'll find a few fans tomorrow and give this a shot. Thanks :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I'm trying to run a Shoutcast server on a Supermicro board without an audio chip.

Is there a virtual audio driver I can use or am I going to have to pick up a cheap PCI sound card?

What platform? I tried to do the same for a radio station on Linux and I did have to end up getting a cheap-rear end LP PCI soundcard.

Headphones guy: headphones have considerable impedance, I would bite the bullet and get a dedicated headphone amp that takes in line-level input. Then purchase whatever combination of physical adapters you need to feed it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

movax posted:

What platform? I tried to do the same for a radio station on Linux and I did have to end up getting a cheap-rear end LP PCI soundcard.

Sorry, I'm runing WHSv1 which is based on Server 2003.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Sorry, I'm runing WHSv1 which is based on Server 2003.

I think Virtual Audio Cable might work; are you just having it ShoutCast from a playlist/files on the machine?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm thinking about building a new PC. As part of that, I'm thinking of buying a second monitor. Do I need two video cards? If I have one video card with two outputs, does that mean that I would (for example) degrade the World of Warcraft frame rate on one monitor if I decide to watch Doctor Who episodes on the other?

Thanks.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

prefect posted:

I'm thinking about building a new PC. As part of that, I'm thinking of buying a second monitor. Do I need two video cards? If I have one video card with two outputs, does that mean that I would (for example) degrade the World of Warcraft frame rate on one monitor if I decide to watch Doctor Who episodes on the other?

Thanks.

If you're only gaming on one monitor, you only need a single videocard with dual-outputs. Basically any modern GPU will have dual-DVI outputs. Performance will not be affected.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

prefect posted:

Thanks.

At most, it'll just do funny things to window placement on other monitors while you're fullscreen in-game on one monitor, but that'll go away once you leave the game.

Current mainstream Nvidia cards max out at two displays per card; some AMD models can do 3+.

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

:shepface::shepface::shepface:
I am currently sitting on a Sapphire XFX 5970 Black Edition, with 3 Dell 24" screens hooked up to it. I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P.

I'm interested in changing to an nVidia card to try something new and because I've gotten a good offer on my old one graphic card.

Thanks to me, only checking up on ATi cards, I've gotten a little out of touch with what nVidia has to provide, so I'm coming here, to ask goons for help as to what nVidia card I should get. I only have the requirement that I can hook up my 3 screens to it, or them if SLI is required. My budget is mid to highend cards.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Happy Dolphin posted:

I am currently sitting on a Sapphire XFX 5970 Black Edition, with 3 Dell 24" screens hooked up to it. I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P.

I'm interested in changing to an nVidia card to try something new and because I've gotten a good offer on my old one graphic card.

Thanks to me, only checking up on ATi cards, I've gotten a little out of touch with what nVidia has to provide, so I'm coming here, to ask goons for help as to what nVidia card I should get. I only have the requirement that I can hook up my 3 screens to it, or them if SLI is required. My budget is mid to highend cards.

What in the hell are you actually having difficulty running on a 5970?
560ti's in SLI would be the lowest cards that would outright beat your current card.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
And you would need two of them to run multiple monitors. nVidia is not multimonitor friendly the way AMD is.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
Any idea why my new 6850 is running at 66 degrees idle?

I've tried with overdrive on and off.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I need some extra storage space so was looking at various external and internal hard drives. In a perfect world I'd go for the external in this case, but still sitting next to me is one I got a few years ago that, due to some inopportune unplugging, no longer works at all, my data trapped forever in a tortuous limbo. Are external hard drives these days still vulnerable to failing if unplugged at the wrong time?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Grey Area posted:

Any idea why my new 6850 is running at 66 degrees idle?

I've tried with overdrive on and off.

I was going to suggest that the fan wasn't running fast enough, but it should not be running that hot at 64%.

Sounds like the heatsink isn't mounted correctly, or that they used too much thermal paste. Try removing the side of your case to see if that makes a difference. If it goes down drastically you have bad case airflow and you need to work on your case cooling (fans, etc).

If it doesn't go down, you can either try replacing the thermal paste if you have experience working with GPU coolers (GPU's are not covered with an IHS like CPU's, so you'd need to use non-conductive TIM like arctic silver ceramique or MX-4, and you'd need to make sure the stock thermal pads are replaced in the same position over the VRM and RAM chips), or you should RMA the card.

If you're not comfortable working with GPU heatsinks, RMA the card as you could break it if you're not careful.

Mozi posted:

I need some extra storage space so was looking at various external and internal hard drives. In a perfect world I'd go for the external in this case, but still sitting next to me is one I got a few years ago that, due to some inopportune unplugging, no longer works at all, my data trapped forever in a tortuous limbo. Are external hard drives these days still vulnerable to failing if unplugged at the wrong time?
External drives are usually just cheap internal drives in an enclosure. They're more prone to failure than an internal drive. What I do is use internal drives in actively-cooled external enclosures with Oxford chips. Even still, you'd need to keep a backup of the external in case of failure.. Your best bet is probably to look into a standalone NAS instead, preferably with the option for backing up on a second or third drive.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 28, 2011

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

grumperfish posted:

What in the hell are you actually having difficulty running on a 5970?
560ti's in SLI would be the lowest cards that would outright beat your current card.

I have gotten a fairly good offer for the card because my friend have one himself, and wants to run crossfire. I want to see how much I'll have to shell out to beat that performance-wise, but also to "try new air" with a none-ATi card.

Factory Factory posted:

And you would need two of them to run multiple monitors. nVidia is not multimonitor friendly the way AMD is.

So I will not need an active coverter to make a 3rd screen work, like required by my current ATi card?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Happy Dolphin posted:

I have gotten a fairly good offer for the card because my friend have one himself, and wants to run crossfire. I want to see how much I'll have to shell out to beat that performance-wise, but also to "try new air" with a none-ATi card.

So I will not need an active coverter to make a 3rd screen work, like required by my current ATi card?
You really do need an AMD card for this, either a Radeon HD 6950 2GB or a 6970 2GB (1GB cards don't have enough video RAM). nVidia cards don't support more than two monitors in SLI (or on a single card), you have to run them in non-SLI mode, limiting you to the performance of a single card. While you could just buy a single high-end Geforce and a cheaper one for the third monitor, this seems like a waste when you could just buy an AMD card that will do it natively (with the adapter you already have) and support Eyefinity. On the plus side, moving back to a single card will eliminate the micro-stutter that affects all multi-GPU configurations, making your games feel much more smooth and responsive.

Bonus Edit: I should probably expand on why I said 1GB wasn't enough RAM. 1GB is enough for single-monitor gaming with any game today. 768MB on the other hand is NOT enough, so we know that 1GB of RAM is mostly full. The additional monitors mean more video RAM usage, and keep in mind you also need to account for any other applications using video RAM (like your web browser, which used Direct3D/Direct2D for rendering). The big problem here is longevity for future games, it's pretty easy to reduce shader workload to improve performance without affecting quality too much, but if you're running out of video RAM it murders performance, and you can really only fix that by turning down texture resolution or other settings that disproportionately affect quality, and it would suck to have to do that on a card that isn't slow, just is low on video RAM. It also means that using Eyefinity is right out. For people that care enough about gaming to be considering a 6900-series card, it just seems ridiculous to handicap yourself with only 1GB of video RAM, but if your needs would be satisfied by a 6800-series card then a 1GB card would probably be fine at the resolutions you play it.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 28, 2011

Happy Dolphin
Apr 12, 2007

Alereon posted:

You really do need an AMD card for this, either a Radeon HD 6950 2GB or a 6970 2GB (1GB cards don't have enough video RAM). nVidia cards don't support more than two monitors in SLI (or on a single card), you have to run them in non-SLI mode, limiting you to the performance of a single card. While you could just buy a single high-end Geforce and a cheaper one for the third monitor, this seems like a waste when you could just buy an AMD card that will do it natively (with the adapter you already have) and support Eyefinity. On the plus side, moving back to a single card will eliminate the micro-stutter that affects all multi-GPU configurations, making your games feel much more smooth and responsive.

Ah, makes a lot more sense now. Sorry, I clearly haven't read up enough about the multi monitor support on nVidia cards.

As for upgrading to the 69XX series, it seems like it will be too costly to make it worth the upgrade.

Thanks for helping me out!

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Happy Dolphin posted:

Ok that makes more sense. I misunderstood and thought you were having performance issues with the card. They run pretty hot, but they're not slow, so I was confused.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I have three hard drives: SSD for windows and apps, storage, and backup. The storage and backup drives are mechanical, and aren't used regularly. However, one of them makes noise constantly. How can I make it shut up until I use it? Why is it doing something in the first place?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dominoes posted:

I have three hard drives: SSD for windows and apps, storage, and backup. The storage and backup drives are mechanical, and aren't used regularly. However, one of them makes noise constantly. How can I make it shut up until I use it? Why is it doing something in the first place?

You can use Resource Monitor to see disk activity on each disk, and see if there is a rogue app writing/reading from it.

I assume you mean normal operating noise and not clicks of doom?

E: launch resource monitor with "Resmon" in the Start Menu

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

movax posted:

You can use Resource Monitor to see disk activity on each disk, and see if there is a rogue app writing/reading from it.

I assume you mean normal operating noise and not clicks of doom?

E: launch resource monitor with "Resmon" in the Start Menu
Thanks - It's showing only System, svhost.exe and explorer.exe as using disk activity. It must be a system thing.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
It's probably caching the disk. That's normal in Windows 7 unless you have indexing/desktop search disabled.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dominoes posted:

Thanks - It's showing only System, svhost.exe and explorer.exe as using disk activity. It must be a system thing.

Is there a pagefile on the disk? Otherwise yeah, likely some indexing or similar going on. If the noise is really irritating you, you could look into some anti-vibration mounts for your HDD in your case, if you don't have that already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dominoes posted:

You should be able to see the files it's hitting in Resmon, as well. This might help track down exactly what's going on, and why. Look under "Disk Activity," rather than "Processes with Disk Activity."

• Locked thread